AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-06-03, 04:00   Link #1
Skane
Anime Snark

Unhappy PC Monitor Display Problem

Right, typing this from my laptop (in case people were wondering). My desktop is currently unable to show anything on the monitor, a Samsung Flatscreen. The monitor is still able to power up, and I can see the "Analog/Digital" corner display when it initially turns on.

The PC still boots up, and I can hear the log-in screen music. When I touch-type the password to log-in, I can hear the OS loading up.

I just can't see anything on the monitor screen. Have already double-checked the cable connections.

Need help on what might be causing the problem.

Cheers.
Old 2013-06-03, 04:07   Link #2
EroKing

If you have a graphic card (most people do right? ) remove it, plug it into the onboard graphics and see if monitor displays it.
If yes then either the card or the slot is at fault (since you have already checked the cables).
Old 2013-06-03, 04:10   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Do you still see the POST info or absolutely nothing from start or nothing after you try to login?

Check connections? Try another cable?

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2013-06-03 at 13:49.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 04:21   Link #4
larethian

In addition to Tiberium Wolf's question, since you have a laptop, you can verify whether the monitor's working properly with your video out from your laptop, assuming you have one.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 16:09   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
In addition to Tiberium Wolf's question, since you have a laptop, you can verify whether the monitor's working properly with your video out from your laptop, assuming you have one.
This. You might also be able to test the gpu of the desktop this way.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 23:07   Link #6
Skane
Anime Snark

Pardon for the delay, I had to shop around for the HDMI cables to link the monitor/PC to my laptop. Well, the good news is that the monitor is fine. However, when I try to display my PC onto my laptop, it is unable to. I have also swapped to an older card which I know should work (it was only taken out to be replaced by an upgrade), but still no dice...

So... is it a slot problem? Please don't be a slot problem...

Cheers.
Old 2013-06-05, 00:09   Link #7
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Pardon for the delay, I had to shop around for the HDMI cables to link the monitor/PC to my laptop. Well, the good news is that the monitor is fine. However, when I try to display my PC onto my laptop, it is unable to. I have also swapped to an older card which I know should work (it was only taken out to be replaced by an upgrade), but still no dice...

So... is it a slot problem? Please don't be a slot problem...

Cheers.
What do you mean by "display my PC onto my laptop"?

Assuming that it's some kind of typo, you haven't tell us whether the POST messages are displayed.
Old 2013-06-05, 00:31   Link #8
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
What do you mean by "display my PC onto my laptop"?

Assuming that it's some kind of typo, you haven't tell us whether the POST messages are displayed.
Well, when I connect the PC to the laptop, my laptop can detect the type of graphic card but not display what's from the PC even if I choose to switch to the PC display.

As for POST messages, nada. The monitor just shows nothing. I know the OS is loading up because I can hear the log-in screen tingle, and when I type in my password, the OS boots up to the desktop audibly.

No BIOS beeps either, so it shouldn't be a motherboard issue right? Could faulty RAM be causing the issue?

Cheers.
Old 2013-06-05, 14:27   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

With no POST. Your problem is either the monitor, the cables or the video card.

You needed to connect the laptop to the monitor to see if the problem is the monitor or not. Connecting the PC to the laptop won't tell u anything more like it doesn't make sense.
Old 2013-06-05, 19:56   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
With no POST. Your problem is either the monitor, the cables or the video card.

You needed to connect the laptop to the monitor to see if the problem is the monitor or not. Connecting the PC to the laptop won't tell u anything more like it doesn't make sense.
He already connected the monitor to the laptop and verified that it's working. He also swapped out the graphics card with an older graphics card that was working previously and it wasn't working.

We can't say that the newer graphics card works for certain, but the problem is very likely to be the motherboard's slot.
Old 2013-06-05, 22:43   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
He already connected the monitor to the laptop and verified that it's working. He also swapped out the graphics card with an older graphics card that was working previously and it wasn't working.

We can't say that the newer graphics card works for certain, but the problem is very likely to be the motherboard's slot.
He says he connected the PC to the laptop not the monitor to the laptop.
Old 2013-06-05, 22:51   Link #12
Skane
Anime Snark

What Ledgem said is correct, I have already connected my monitor to my laptop and verified that it is working properly. Guess this means I need a new motherboard?

Cheers.
Old 2013-06-06, 07:47   Link #13
EroKing

Better to take the mobo to a local pc repair shop and have the slot checked for 100% verification first.
Old 2013-06-06, 13:21   Link #14
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

What motherboard is it ?
Old 2013-06-06, 21:24   Link #15
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, when I connect the PC to the laptop, my laptop can detect the type of graphic card but not display what's from the PC even if I choose to switch to the PC display.

As for POST messages, nada. The monitor just shows nothing. I know the OS is loading up because I can hear the log-in screen tingle, and when I type in my password, the OS boots up to the desktop audibly.

No BIOS beeps either, so it shouldn't be a motherboard issue right? Could faulty RAM be causing the issue?

Cheers.
I didn't expect that you have video input on your laptop. But yeah, if you think the graphics card and cables are working, like what some others have mentioned, it's probably either slot issue, or a MOBO issue.
Old 2013-06-07, 05:44   Link #16
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Can you try the card on a different mobo slot? If not, it is most likely partial mobo failure. Use warranty to get a replacement if you have it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 08:10   Link #17
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
While everyone seems to be focused on the motherboard, nobody seems to be focusing on the GPU itself (failure is not as suspect anyway since the computer boots to the OS where if it had failed, it wouldn't be able to pass POST and even if the slot failed you probably wouldn't be able to hear anything if the sound comes down the HDMI cable as well).

Have you tried connecting the monitor to another port on the graphics card to see if it's a fault with the HDMI port on the card? (if there's a DVI port on the GPU, then all you need to get is an adaptor so you can still use your existing HDMI cable).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 08:52   Link #18
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
While everyone seems to be focused on the motherboard, nobody seems to be focusing on the GPU itself (failure is not as suspect anyway since the computer boots to the OS where if it had failed, it wouldn't be able to pass POST and even if the slot failed you probably wouldn't be able to hear anything if the sound comes down the HDMI cable as well).

Have you tried connecting the monitor to another port on the graphics card to see if it's a fault with the HDMI port on the card? (if there's a DVI port on the GPU, then all you need to get is an adaptor so you can still use your existing HDMI cable).
He said he swap with another old card that he know it works and still nothing... Most likely MB problem.
Old 2013-06-08, 08:13   Link #19
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
He said he swap with another old card that he know it works and still nothing... Most likely MB problem.
Wasn't that when the OP tried to connect the computer to the laptop (which probably wouldn't work anyway).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote