AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 12 16.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 19.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 24.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 32.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.74%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-04, 05:54   Link #41
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Very simply put, more people tend to read the Manga than the Light Novel
Well, yes, that much seems clear. I guess to put my questions simply: 1) is the manga as good as the light novel in this part? Therefore 2) is the anime a less-effective re-telling/adaptation of novels than the manga was in this part? (Of course this is all opinion anyway.)
Old 2011-11-04, 06:04   Link #42
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I'd say the manga does better in term of facial expression -> better comedy, but that maybe just me.
And it cover more stuff than the anime.
Old 2011-11-04, 06:13   Link #43
potchip

What's missing is the comedy. The anime is avoiding all facial expressing/emoticon and tried a 'straight up' bishoujo approach. Whilst the manga and LN took different approaches, with the manga using exaggerated facial expressions and LN with more Kodaka monologue/commentary do the same for comedic effect.

Personally liked this episode more than the 2nd one - the MH reference is obvious but there are just way more subtle references in ep 5. I'd have given up the anime overachieving on comedy so it doesn't upset me too much and the Maria/Kobato segment was executed pretty well. Still awaiting the debute of the fly swatter...

Last edited by potchip; 2011-11-04 at 06:34.
Old 2011-11-04, 06:40   Link #44
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, yes, that much seems clear. I guess to put my questions simply: 1) is the manga as good as the light novel in this part? Therefore 2) is the anime a less-effective re-telling/adaptation of novels than the manga was in this part? (Of course this is all opinion anyway.)
Well having seen all three medium, I would agree with Duo and say that the manga delivered the punchlines well with it's facial expressions and atmosphere. The Anime is not as expressive, but both of them lose out to the Light Novel in terms of contents and well... 'Censorship'

And like what potchip said, the LN follows the funny commentary route they we know from Kyon and the likes.

So I guess we know which one people prefer
Old 2011-11-04, 07:26   Link #45
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I see Index in there... hahaha... nice play... same VA and now same job in game

this is what we got from wrapping two chapters into one episode... they should do it separately...
well, the game and bento part is really good... Poor Wasurubo... they will live as EXP in us... lol

Kobato's introduction is the fail one.... I prefer if they put the preview in an actual episode... well, that's the funniest part actually.... but the fight between 'God's disciple' Vs 'Undead Vampire' and 'Meat' Vs 'Fox-witch' are still funny

anata wa imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai... xD
that 'aho' from Kobato really reminded me with Shiori.... yay!
welcome to the club, Kobato

Spoiler for aaahhh...:

7/10 from me.... the lowest rating for this anime so far... lol
Old 2011-11-04, 08:45   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

As opposed to quite a few people, I enjoyed the imouto antics more. The video game part is what was lacking for me. Not only did it decrease Kobato's screentime (which is unforgivable!! Although to be fair, I suppose it's my fault for assuming the episode would focus on her... then again, the reason I thought was because the preview only had her), it felt like a redux of the Monster hunter episode and the comedy wasn't all that funny. Yozora betraying Sena was so expected it fell flat, and the Warasubo had a good comedy potential they failed to capitalize on.

One thing I can't complain about regarding the video game segments is the outfits. Sena's in particular was great.

I was hoping Maria would grow on me, but since this episode made it clear she's a carbon copy of Index, it's doubtful I'm ever going to like her. At least it looks like her antagonistic relationship with Kobato will be almost as entertaining as Yozora and Sena's. I'll be rooting for Kobato and Sena to kick their asses.

Kobato's scenes didn't disappoint one bit. The final scene of the episode was really cute. Although I enjoyed her vampire persona, she's a lot cuter when she drops the act
Old 2011-11-04, 08:50   Link #47
konart

Spoiler for Your sister:

Did see this coming
Old 2011-11-04, 09:01   Link #48
Sides

Ok episode, the game console thing was quite funny, Largehard ^^, but the scenes in the game itself was boring, except for the wizard thing. Highlight was probably the childish fight Maria and Kobato were having.
Kobato looks much cuter without her contacts and costume, i have to say.
Old 2011-11-04, 09:29   Link #49
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for Your sister:

Did see this coming
If Kirino comes in and slams the table with her fist "objection!" at a pic, brix will be shat.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:05   Link #50
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I lol'd at the Ore Imo reference.

My expectations for this episode was really low, as like many others I was dreading the introduction of the additional characters beyond Sena, Yozora and MC.

It's probably because my expectations were so low that this episode wasn't as bad as DemiSoda prepared me for.

Maria infuriates me to no end, Yukimura is unnecessary and shouldn't be there, and Kobato joining the club was a pointless addition. I liked her existing solely at home for their family moments.

That aside, Rika was pretty good in this episode, and Sena x Yozora shenanigans continued fairly well, and I did find myself feeling a bit warm and fuzzy when Kobato crawled into bed with MC. Family affection that isn't riddled with incestuous sexual tension always makes me "aww".

Overall, yeah it was the weakest episode, but my hope hasn't been dashed as quickly as I thought it would after introducing the rest of the girls. Now if they just dropped Maria and Yukimura, and sent Kobato back home, I'd probably be happy.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:08   Link #51
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think Maria vs Kobato is actually MORE enjoyable than Sena vs Yozora to be honest. The thing about Sena/Yozora is that Yozora typically gets the upper hand(the 5th ep, Sena actually gets her back evenly with the tickling thing). Maria and Kobato though seems to be straight even; both are 'polar opposites'(light/dark) of each other and the 'fighting' was balanced. In other words, it was tic-for-tac, which made it FAR more enjoyable than the Sena vs Yozora parts. I mean take "Spy vs Spy" for instance. Black Spy will sometimes screw over White Spy and vice-versa, but you never know who's going to 'win' until it happens. The moment Yozora mentions teaming up with Sena, I knew Yozora was going to screw her over . I only hope that the story continues to balance who 'wins' and who 'loses' between the girl 'fights'.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:17   Link #52
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

AHHH...Kobato...My sweet Kobato...I love how sweet she is when referring to her An-chan...She easily wins the whole ep

And the ED sequence with Maria is pure LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzsal View Post
so kobato wears a red contact? or did they just mess up and make both her eyes blue at the end there?
Her natural eye colour is sky blue from the mother.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:20   Link #53
Peanutbutter

Kinda felt like Kobato was kinda shafted in this episode.

Series so far still makes me wanna bite Sena's meat.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:29   Link #54
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I think Maria vs Kobato is actually MORE enjoyable than Sena vs Yozora to be honest. The thing about Sena/Yozora is that Yozora typically gets the upper hand(the 5th ep, Sena actually gets her back evenly with the tickling thing).
Sena vs Yozora's true meaning is to gain popularity for Sena, actually. Most of the time it's one side bullying if you ask me.

Kobato and Maria is entertaining on their own level.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:30   Link #55
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Kinda felt like Kobato was kinda shafted in this episode.

Series so far still makes me wanna bite Sena's meat.
Whoa there, I didn't know you had a futanari fetish ... Is that from some kind of doujin?
Old 2011-11-04, 10:36   Link #56
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Whoa there, I didn't know you had a futanari fetish ... Is that from some kind of doujin?
Lolz?
I hope you didn't think Sena's meat as, well, meat stick .
Old 2011-11-04, 10:37   Link #57
Freeter
beyond

Haven't read the manga yet, but I enjoyed the episode. Kobato is adorable when she pouts over her clueless brother, and her spat with Maria was far more enjoyable than the usual Sena/Yozora antics (which are already growing tiresome).

The nods to rpg characters was a nice touch. LOLed hard at the Index parody.

Yukimura's pretty much the only real disappointment thus far. They should have gone with a more androgynous avatar instead of the obvious samurai joke, it would have made his(her?) scenes funnier.

Quote:
If Kirino comes in and slams the table with her fist "objection!" at a pic, brix will be shat.
Doesn't she have an official Twiiter account? Someone find out what she posted, it's probably gold (and Kuroneko also, since she's an avid gamer)
Old 2011-11-04, 10:42   Link #58
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sena vs Yozora's true meaning is to gain popularity for Sena, actually. Most of the time it's one side bullying if you ask me.
I don't see how that's supposed to make Sena popular. If anything, it makes Yozora look like, as you say, a bully. I think Sena's non-Yozora moments are when she shines as a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Lolz?
I hope you didn't think Sena's meat as, well, meat stick .
I'm just calling it as I see it .
Old 2011-11-04, 11:05   Link #59
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

To wit, the OreImo reference was in the LN, (Haganai was published one year later).

You know, the Neighbor's Club aim to gain friends may not be working so well with two fights: Yozora vs Sena, Kobato vs Maria.

And to those who posted Rika like that, I guessed that was a 'toned down' version.
Old 2011-11-04, 11:27   Link #60
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I find it curious that a number of the comments in the thread are saying that it was "better in the manga", which is an adaptation of the light novels. I am curious if it's the manga that enhanced the light novel content, or if it's just that the manga was more faithful to the light novel. Given that I haven't seen either, I guess I have no frame of reference, other than that I find it interesting that a large number of criticisms have been from those familiar with the earlier versions. It could also simply be that most of the viewers commenting around here know the manga (more manga readers than "anime-only" viewers on AnimeSuki for this show?).
Baka Tsuki doesn't have any of the novels fully translated yet (the last two chapters are missing from Volume 1 and there's one incomplete in the middle of 2). I'm sure I'm not the only one who's holding off until the whole thing's available and so can only compare to the manga.

This episode was definitely weak compared to the manga -- the Rozen Maiden gag was done much better, and the gag about killing innocent creatures for the XP was a much more pointed jab at RPG morality.
Closed Thread