AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-01-11, 10:06   Link #341
GAtakito

Here some pics from the limited editon

Spoiler for Game CGs:

Credits tumblr and its uploader
GAtakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:27   Link #342
jjblue1

Thank you a lot for sharing!

And is it just me or Battler seems a lot younger than he should be in the amusement park photo?

Last edited by jjblue1; 2012-10-16 at 15:20.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:32   Link #343
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Thank you a lot for sharing!

And is it just me or Battler seems a lot younger than he should be in the amusement park photo?
Let's say Ange is 5. That makes Battler 11 years old.
I think it looks fine.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:35   Link #344
~Ayane~

But when Ange is 5, Battler is 17.
~Ayane~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:37   Link #345
CrimsonMoonMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Let's say Ange is 5. That makes Battler 11 years old.
I think it looks fine.
But Ange was 6 during the family conference.
That'd make Battler 17.

Anyways, Battler's eyes glowing blue when he uses the blue truth and yellow when he uses the gold truth looks pretty epic.
I can definitely get behind that design choice.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:44   Link #346
maximilianjenus
[E]

let's say ange is -2 then.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:16   Link #347
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post
Exactly. And in that photo Battler might look 11 but definitely not 17 as he should be...
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:56   Link #348
CrimsonMoonMist

Well, he also looks pretty skinny in that CG where he, Rudolf and Kyrie are standing evily.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:08   Link #349
The Creator
Golden Emperor

Are those CG's available only with the limited edition (i mean in the actual game), or you just posted scans from the artbook that has CG from the game (meaning that the normal & limited versions have the same CG).
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 00:24   Link #350
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post
You're right. I completely messed up there, lol. Sorry.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 02:11   Link #351
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule
I know I wouldn't mind a few of them as my wallpaper.
I'm especially in love with the Erika vs Beato one from the wedding, thoughh...
Old 2012-01-12, 02:22   Link #352
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creator View Post
Are those CG's available only with the limited edition (i mean in the actual game), or you just posted scans from the artbook that has CG from the game (meaning that the normal & limited versions have the same CG).
That's from the artbook, which is a mere collection of few CG from the game.
The game in the LE pack is actually no different than standard edition game, it is just that it has an additional box and book, that's all.

I'm almost done with Episode 8, and I can't say I'm fully satisfied with how Alchemist handled the port of the franchise.
Frankly, there are so many weird decisions in term of voice acting direction and sprite/CG selection that make me wonder how they did it.

At least, I didn't notice any major script change whatsoever.
Old 2012-01-12, 10:29   Link #353
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

I haven't played the PS3 remake, nor will I ever since I have zero knowledge on Japanese, but I actually assumed it would be lacking in comparison to the PC. Remakes rarely manage to capture the palm of the original, and let's face it, the PS3 version is all about the shiny effects and being candy to the eyes.
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 10:42   Link #354
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
I haven't played the PS3 remake, nor will I ever since I have zero knowledge on Japanese, but I actually assumed it would be lacking in comparison to the PC. Remakes rarely manage to capture the palm of the original, and let's face it, the PS3 version is all about the shiny effects and being candy to the eyes.
The problem is the very purpose of the games itself: the "eye candy" aspect doesn't work at all.
They did a very good job in keeping every tracks from the original games, and altering nothing from the script (or almost?).

However, the shiny effects are... nowhere close to what you can expect from a PS3, or even a standard PC VN/galge.
The problem is quite evident with an HD screen: the design in general is too "sharp", without being crisp, therefore, it looks a little rough, especially few backgrounds etc. There is actually little work on lightning and shadows (be it as effects or CG themselves), so the general aspect is rather dull with little ambiant effect.
the special effects are not too bad, especially the rapid slicing effects and the "beam impact", but I must say the "deep slash" effects are annoying as hell because they are -SLOW- and unskippable. Because of that, some full force fast strikes look extremely slow with the narration (Erika and Dlanor in ep8 are big victims of that).

But my main gripe is how the voice acting is sort of weird at times. To be honest, aside of Battler VA, Ono Daisuke, the other male characters are not convincing in their angry or sorrowful fits, especially Krauss in ep7 (when he is furious against Eva for "you know why").
And no matter how much of a Yukarin fanboy I'm, her performance was weirdly directed, especially Bern expressing "shock and panic" more than what you can actually expect from her.

Really, I will probably make several playthroughs with the 2 games, but honestly, I really can't consider these 2 ports as "successful".
Old 2012-01-12, 18:40   Link #355
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
And no matter how much of a Yukarin fanboy I'm, her performance was weirdly directed, especially Bern expressing "shock and panic" more than what you can actually expect from her.
Well, Bern had more facial expressions than what we expected from her by the time EP5 came out. Maybe the voice director had that in mind and...well...took it in that direction.

Oh well, what's done is done. I'm not in it for the effects and visuals, as cool as they try to be (of course, the character sprites remain pretty neat to look at). I'm really in it for the voices, and for the most part, despite their misgivings, there was some satisfaction I got from them. There were, of course, gratuitous amounts of ham (hello, Beato), but I for one taught myself to enjoy ham long before this came out. It's just best to do it in doses, I guess.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 20:19   Link #356
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But my main gripe is how the voice acting is sort of weird at times. To be honest, aside of Battler VA, Ono Daisuke, the other male characters are not convincing in their angry or sorrowful fits, especially Krauss in ep7 (when he is furious against Eva for "you know why").
I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Do you means Bern's VA didn't express enough emotion in those scenes or it was too much?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 21:42   Link #357
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Do you means Bern's VA didn't express enough emotion in those scenes or it was too much?
I'm pretty sure he's saying it's too much. Then again, things like emotional breakdowns can only be interpreted in so many ways. (Of course, it's not limited to that...)

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 23:47   Link #358
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Amazing artwork =o
I really like them, the artist's lines and color are just astonishing!
Old 2012-01-13, 01:15   Link #359
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Way too much. In episode 8, she even has a "grieving" voice which does not only match the situation, but goes completely against Bern's personality altogether.
After going through Episode 8 a second time, it is ironic to me to consider Bern as the best -and- worst voiced character, since the performance range from "perfectly matched" to "completely out of character".

Another fun part: they didn't care about the "age gap" in the voice direction: they made Ono keeping his voice when Battler unleashed his rage against Rudolf in ep7 (despite he is supposed to be 12 years old), and Kotobuki Yukari and Hachijou Tohya voices are basically the "normal ones". You can't even expect them to have 40-50 years old.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-01-13 at 17:45.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:31   Link #360
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Amazing artwork =o
I really like them, the artist's lines and color are just astonishing!
Couldn't agree more. Still, I think Ryukishi's art is a tone better (yeah, seriously!).

Quote:
Way too much. In episode 8, she even has a "grieving" voice which does not only match the situation, but goes completely against Bern's personality altogether.
After going through Episode 8 a second time, it is ironic to me to consider Bern as the best -and- worst voiced character, since the performance range from "perfectly matched" to "completely out of character".
From the parts that were uploaded on Youtube, I can sort of see what you mean. Still, I absolutely adore Yukari Tamura as Bern -possibly because I'm such a huge Rika lover, or because my Beard is Blue-.
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote