AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-25, 21:23   Link #1121
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
I don't think there's been an official English translation of the light novels so to speak. However, Dan Kanemitsu did mention Suomus Misfit Squadron and Witches in Africa getting somewhat of an English translation.

There's also a dub of the anime as well. Though it's not all that great IMO.
Yeah, all of the Witches in Africa doujinshi have an official translation, and they're printed bilingually like this. It's quite nifty...and I recommend you buy them because, A: The creator has made it nice and easy to import, and B: They're awesome! (Even better than the anime, imho). It's mostly manga, but Witches of the Sphinx (vols 1 2 3) have light novel parts. The Witches of Africa compilation has some light novel parts to go along with it, but it's translation hasn't been finished yet.

These posts on the translator's blog explain it pretty well:

http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/20...-dared-before/
http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/20...frica-splurge/

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
Ah. So then the light novels stop where the anime does?
The first light novel series, Suomus Misfit Squadron, came before the anime and is a totally different story with different characters. The later novels printed with the anime are, I believe, mostly side stories not found in the anime. So the light novels are mostly original content, separate from the anime.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 23:20   Link #1122
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Oh, alright then.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 06:28   Link #1123
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

As much as I'd like to grab a tangible copy of the Africa Manga and other print media

I can't because:

-I live in some third world country wherein the concept of Online Transactions/Buying is not really accepted yet.. (And thanks to hackers, people here are even more scared to risk their own credit cards numbers and ultimately... their hard earned cash)

-Most customs personnel here in our country are LITERAL crooks... For importing "non essential/luxury items like these they'd probably charge you at least 200% of the product cost... (could go even higher, depending on the mood of the crook..) plus the long distance shipping..

Anyway.. all in all, sucks to be an anime fan in a third world country... It's ones of the reasons that makes me think of quitting the anime fandom all together
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 00:47   Link #1124
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Fumigane Shimada creates another Witch exclusively for the upcoming movie

Behold:

Spoiler for Shizuka Hattori:

Last edited by Jof12788; 2011-10-29 at 05:37.
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 00:48   Link #1125
Kyuu
=^^=

A Strike Witches movie? Kyuu is most pleased.

:3

And need more of that Africa Corps. girl
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 10:31   Link #1126
RM-FAN
Anti-Nina Einstein

Why another witch from Fuso? I know that the starring protagonist is from there, but, why dont consider another countries like Liberion, Britannian, Gallia if there was the other sites that in the real WWII has much participation?
RM-FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 18:38   Link #1127
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-FAN View Post
Why another witch from Fuso? I know that the starring protagonist is from there, but, why dont consider another countries like Liberion, Britannian, Gallia if there was the other sites that in the real WWII has much participation?
Because the show is made primarily for a Japanese audience, and thus it always has its major focus on Japan. I don't like it myself, but that's how it is.
Old 2011-10-30, 15:59   Link #1128
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Because the show is made primarily for a Japanese audience, and thus it always has its major focus on Japan. I don't like it myself, but that's how it is.
Also, there's the fact that
Spoiler for end of season 2:
Old 2011-11-01, 19:11   Link #1129
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Also, there's the fact that the main Fuso girls have supposedy drained all their witch abilities, thus needing someone to fill the void of a Fuso-based character sporting animal ears.
<< This.

I'm not so sure why they keep bringing the entire 501 JFW every time there's a new SW anime (especially Mio and Minna.) Wouldn't it be more reasonable to bring some members of the 501 JFW back as well as some new characters? Junko Takei was another witch from Fuso who had potential for another main character. (Not to mention Amaki Suwa and Nishiki Nakajima.) Just sayin'.

Though to be honest, I'm OK with Hattori being the new witch.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:19   Link #1130
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Good news.
Strike Witches: Witches of Africa to Run in Comptiq Mag
Old 2011-11-03, 12:32   Link #1131
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
There needs a spin-off series with these characters. :3
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 22:04   Link #1132
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
There needs a spin-off series with these characters. :3
Like an anime, you mean?
Old 2011-11-09, 22:23   Link #1133
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

It's been like 3+ years (If my counting sucks please correct me..) but we still don't have an official explanation why girls in Strike Witches don't wear skirts or anything that could cover their undies. Excluding the Orussian, suomi and other northern latitude witches, every girls ran around in their panties or a least swimsuits..

It's an aspect of the franchise I just couldn't swallow initially.. but had learned to live with it..

Striker unit obstruction? I don't think so.. Otherwise Sanya nor Eila won't be able to operate their units..

Plain blatant fanservice? Most likely.. but I'm still treating that as Fan Cannon/explanation.. since their's no official reference to support it.

I wonder if the Skirtless/pantsless scheme was already explained properly in any of those Strike Witches published goods... After all this time, I think it should've been properly explained..
Old 2011-11-10, 10:08   Link #1134
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
It's been like 3+ years (If my counting sucks please correct me..) but we still don't have an official explanation why girls in Strike Witches don't wear skirts or anything that could cover their undies. Excluding the Orussian, suomi and other northern latitude witches, every girls ran around in their panties or a least swimsuits..

It's an aspect of the franchise I just couldn't swallow initially.. but had learned to live with it..

Striker unit obstruction? I don't think so.. Otherwise Sanya nor Eila won't be able to operate their units..

Plain blatant fanservice? Most likely.. but I'm still treating that as Fan Cannon/explanation.. since their's no official reference to support it.

I wonder if the Skirtless/pantsless scheme was already explained properly in any of those Strike Witches published goods... After all this time, I think it should've been properly explained..
Eila and Sanya are exceptions because they wear tights/stockings, which are thin enough. Other than that, the only quasi-official explanation for the lack of lower clothing can be seen in the whole military aspect of Strike Witches. At times of war, soldiers need to be deployed in a matter of seconds, not minutes - if the enemy happens to be fast moving alien spacecraft, the time needed to remove one's pants is time that could have been used as attack preparation time in the sky.

And since the Witches in general, as the saviours of humanity, happen to be role models, it's only natural that women in general would emulate them in not wearing lower clothing.

Edit - In dogfights, skirts and short-shorts can impede movement.

Last edited by OZ7UP; 2011-11-10 at 20:55.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 01:03   Link #1135
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Eila and Sanya are exceptions because they wear tights/stockings, which are thin enough.
If that's the case, why couldn't all witches wear stockings instead? I mean Sanya and Eila performed well even if they had stockings on.. Also, Sanya's wearing a skirt~

Quote:
..the only quasi-official explanation for the lack of lower clothing can be seen in the whole military aspect of Strike Witches. At times of war, soldiers need to be deployed in a matter of seconds, not minutes..
Logical... for the case of active duty witches. I wonder why striker units need to to have direct skin contact in the first place..

Quote:
And since the Witches in general, as the saviours of humanity, happen to be role models, it's only natural that women in general would emulate them in not wearing lower clothing.
Make sense now that you mentioned it.. But it's still kind of ridiculous to me
I mean they go around in broad daylight walking in their undies when they're not witches to begin with.. Well, perhaps that's what a proper woman's clothing is for them.

Although I'm really glad Yoshiko Akimoto and Anna Ferara didn't follow the trend.

Quote:
Edit - In dogfights, skirts and short-shorts can impede movement.
Not really a raison d^etre for me..

In the first OVA, Lynette was wearing a skirt while Erica and Trude had some kind of bike shorts.. yet their performance didn't really sucked. Although that one wasn't part the canon to begin with so yeah..
moot point. Lastly, Sanya had a skirt on~

I just wished that all of them wore mini skirts like Sanya did..
Old 2011-11-11, 03:29   Link #1136
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:

Although I'm really glad Yoshiko Akimoto and Anna Ferara didn't follow the trend.

In the first OVA, Lynette was wearing a skirt while Erica and Trude had some kind of bike shorts.. yet their performance didn't really sucked. Although that one wasn't part the canon to begin with so yeah..
moot point. Lastly, Sanya had a skirt on~

That probably would be creepy to picture (unless they were the exact age of the actual witches.) But given their roles during the First Neuroi War, (which lacked the Striker Units) it would make sense not to make them pantless. Just sayin'.

I don't think Erica nor Trude were wearing bike shorts. They were still pantless, however, the lower part of their undershirts were shaped more like shorts, which looked kind of OK to me.

Other than that, I agree with OZ7UP on the whole issue of pantlessness. *goes back to watch The Incredibles*

On a more lighter note this...

Last edited by Jof12788; 2011-11-11 at 05:19.
Old 2011-11-11, 16:43   Link #1137
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
I can understand that comment when it comes to a some of the girls (i.e. Lynette).
Old 2011-11-11, 20:40   Link #1138
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
This should most definitely apply to Minna. Except, Minna should be sentenced to wearing those OVA shorts (or if possible, actual pants) instead of wearing a skirt or being pantless. It would be a breath of fresh air after that one episode in season 2 and that one scene which shall forever remain unnamed. If there's one witch I don't want to see pantless anymore, it definitely has to be Minna Dietlinde Wilcke (who is 39 years old.)

Last edited by Jof12788; 2011-11-11 at 21:00.
Old 2011-11-12, 02:38   Link #1139
RJ TAYLER

Well as a well known character once said, "You have to cater for special interests", ie 'get the dads' watching somehow as they have the ''readies'' to buy the merch.!
Old 2011-11-13, 04:21   Link #1140
kimpleng
Lurker

Maybe some information about the movie.

Can't read anyway.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemonomimi, light novel adaptation, mecha, mecha musume