LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Here's a summary of a supposed PS3 review by German gaming magazine Gamestar:

Original post by Teen Spirit from Spacebattles here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary
-15-20 hour-long main quest
-Around 40 hours playtime in total- side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat
-90 minutes of cutscenes
-No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale
-More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices after importing a save-game from ME2- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them
Spoiler for Spoiler:

-If and how many of these quests we complete influences how the game ends, and who- individually and globally- survives
-While the game can be enjoyable for newcomers as well, because the game is strong on its own mechanically and story-wise, it is recommended to play the first two entries to make more sense out of the wealth of information that the game builds on
-There's an interesting sequence after the end credits
-The „Role-Play“ mode of the game (In contrast to „Action“ and „Story“) feels very much like ME1
-The game gives you more opportunity to customize your Shepard. Each class has 8 talents with 6 levels each, and up from Level 4 there are two branches to choose from to level up each individual talent differently. Weapon customization is also a factor and noticeable, but the effects (which have both pros and cons) are only marginal
-Balancing isn't optimal
-The game is noticeably more difficult up from „Medium“, which makes using the correct weapon mods and talents integral to survive. Shepard also shoots more accurately in cover.
-The AI, on the other hand, is still not very advanced
Spoiler for Spoiler:

-There are multiple turret sections which aren't very well directed
-Despite the shortcomings in level design, which are similar to ME2, the game is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue- and there are lot of small and large choices again to ponder on
-Scanning isn't nearly as repetitive as before, because it works a lot quicker now and incorporates a new mini-game where you have to navigate your ship away from Reaper threat
-The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered
-Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody
-Great dynamic soundtrack and sound-effects
-Our progress in the war effort is constantly trackable on a terminal on the Normandy
Also, Mass Effect advertising... manga style

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 14:46   Link #1802
Aqua Knight

Quote:
The „Role-Play“ mode of the game (In contrast to „Action“ and „Story“) feels very much like ME1
What was the difference between ME1 and ME2 dialogue wise?

Quote:
-Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody
I hope PC version would be better

Also there are some pics of From Ashes DLC
Spoiler for pic not really a spoiler:

See Liara in another outfit, I hope that what I found is true
Quote:
Chris Priestly confirmed that each squadmate starts off with *2* pieces of armor.
Because the outfit for Liara we see here isn't the one in here
Spoiler for alternative outfit pack:
Old 2012-02-25, 14:49   Link #1803
com_gwp

That sounds decently longer than ME2, I finished the whole game with almost all of the side quest under 25 hours.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 01:45   Link #1804
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Finally beat gold!
Old 2012-02-26, 04:16   Link #1805
zibi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Finally beat gold!
for gold im waiting for Revanant & widow weaps to pop out... since I opened lots lots of veteran packs no luck to get those... so I ususally must use Avanger X or Mattock V (or even VII now)

latest guns I got were Claymore shotgun and Hornet SMG (but the recoil kills the gun ;/)

but the most important thing is to have a good team... I like when people stick together and think on the battlefield and know when to fallback a bit as we are pressured.... but I hate when some Vanguard or some other dude rushes streight on the enemy then dies and expects to get there and heal him....but the same time its 1less gun to keep the pack... I would like to have a chat window (not talking but one to write or at least 1button commands (attack, hold ground, need help, fallback shouts)
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:33   Link #1806
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I've opened so many vet boxes and not a single sniper rifle, just pistols, SMGs, assault rifles and shotties. Not the weapon my class actually uses. Dafuk.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:20   Link #1807
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Why Mass Effect is the Most Important Science Fiction Universe of Our Generation

A fascinating article and a must read.
Old 2012-02-26, 05:30   Link #1808
zibi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I dont need to read an arcticle to know why... becouse the real life sucks...you have a life if you have money (you can go where you want and buy what you want) with no money all you do is to worry to where do I get it to survive ^^

while throught this game you have the desire to travel in space... visit different planets...meet other races...learn their culture... its way more interesting compared to this life here ;/

so its generally the desire and dreams of people to meet the unknown
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:57   Link #1809
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
I dont need to read an arcticle to know why... becouse the real life sucks...you have a life if you have money (you can go where you want and buy what you want) with no money all you do is to worry to where do I get it to survive ^^

while throught this game you have the desire to travel in space... visit different planets...meet other races...learn their culture... its way more interesting compared to this life here ;/

so its generally the desire and dreams of people to meet the unknown
That's not really the entire point of the article though. The article is why it's the "most important science fiction universe of this generation", emphasis on "science fiction". What you're describing is escapism in general, which does not require science fiction.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 06:30   Link #1810
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well i don't really care about Sci-fi , they just are entertainment for me.
And to say that it's the most important Sci-fi universe of our gen , srly lol... i can see people arguing over it with no end.
The site looks like Kotaku , a clone or ? anyway , i guess this article was made by a big fan.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 06:38   Link #1811
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Some of the more juvenile reactions to the article in the comments section are hilariously bad.
Old 2012-02-26, 06:44   Link #1812
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Finally beat gold!
Which class did you use? I'm not sure whether I want to go with Infiltrator or Engineer or Sentinel.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 07:40   Link #1813
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Well i don't really care about Sci-fi , they just are entertainment for me.
And to say that it's the most important Sci-fi universe of our gen , srly lol... i can see people arguing over it with no end.
The site looks like Kotaku , a clone or ? anyway , i guess this article was made by a big fan.
Nope. It was written by Kyle Munkittrick and originally appeared at Pop Bioethics.
Old 2012-02-26, 09:40   Link #1814
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
for gold im waiting for Revanant & widow weaps to pop out... since I opened lots lots of veteran packs no luck to get those... so I ususally must use Avanger X or Mattock V (or even VII now)

latest guns I got were Claymore shotgun and Hornet SMG (but the recoil kills the gun ;/)

but the most important thing is to have a good team... I like when people stick together and think on the battlefield and know when to fallback a bit as we are pressured.... but I hate when some Vanguard or some other dude rushes streight on the enemy then dies and expects to get there and heal him....but the same time its 1less gun to keep the pack... I would like to have a chat window (not talking but one to write or at least 1button commands (attack, hold ground, need help, fallback shouts)
I beat gold using Mantis I. In general rather than the gun, like you said, teammates are more important. And yes Vanguards are bit annoying for me since I play as Infiltrator and they always mess up my aim. But they could very useful in taking down phantom and I suppose for crowd control with Nova. Though some players need to realize that in Gold they really do need to stick together and as they can get killed very easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I've opened so many vet boxes and not a single sniper rifle, just pistols, SMGs, assault rifles and shotties. Not the weapon my class actually uses. Dafuk.
Same with me as well I am getting is upgrade to Viper, Mattock, and random shotguns. None of those guns are the one I want, I just want either upgrade to Mantis or a Widow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Which class did you use? I'm not sure whether I want to go with Infiltrator or Engineer or Sentinel.
I played as Salarian Infiltrator. I am going to say Infiltrator is very important in Gold as you are the main "healer". Engineer are pretty good support and I find that they are pretty good for distracting Atlas. Now the most important teammate for me was any Asari character as they have Stasis. If I had a Widow I probably would not need one, but without a Widow I have a hard time killing Phantom as a headshot would not kill them. But Stasis means automatic death for Phantom.
Old 2012-02-26, 09:46   Link #1815
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah it's sort of imbalanced how reviving doesn't break cloak until the person revives. You can easily rescue people behind enemy lines and run like hell for cover when cloak breaks.
Old 2012-02-26, 14:51   Link #1816
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Well, that was stupid. That writer needs to read more sci-fi.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 16:05   Link #1817
Jaden

I've stomached enough DLC nonsense this year...so sorry, not buying this game until I can find it in the sales bin with all content included.
Old 2012-02-26, 16:08   Link #1818
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
That article was franckly stupid, most the aliens in ME looks like humans in rubber suit like the others franchises (and that's for the same reasons) moreover humans are not specials ? lol wut, that's why the Reapers are going after the humans first !, or the rapid ascension of humans political power in Citadel territories.
Let's also talk about Shepard the super hero who is going to save the entire Universe 3 times.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 16:23   Link #1819
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Well, that was stupid. That writer needs to read more sci-fi.
I agree.

The basic principle of scifi is to make only a few "what if" assumptions and build a consistent scenario out of that.
Yet ME is the best scifi, because it does not do that, but instead uses every scifi premise known to mankind and mashes them all up. Perfect scifi!
If anything must be explained, it is always "mass effect causes this". It is applied so broadly and on everyting that it could as well be called magic.

This makes for a good space opera setting, but shallow scifi.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2012-02-26 at 16:53.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 16:24   Link #1820
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've stomached enough DLC nonsense this year...so sorry, not buying this game until I can find it in the sales bin with all content included.
Hasn't even happened with ME2, or 1 for that matter. You have to buy the DLC individually if you ever want it.

Tags
effect, games, mass