AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-17, 17:45   Link #21
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

It's a shame that this is only 6 episodes. At least each episode will be exciting with that pace.

Spoiler for Episode 1-Sand Whale:

If this series is any indiction as to what Spring has to offer, then I am quite excited for Spring. This is a timeless sci-fi show. This could easily have been made in the 90s or earlier, but it just as easily fits in with today. Episode gets a 9/10 and I am eager to see more of this.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 17:56   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting. Though we really have no idea what is going on from just the episode. That Maya was voiced by Tanaka Rie perks my interests.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:06   Link #23
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Satisfied with the first episode. There's enough content delivered in the first episode, that sets a good pace for the next five episode. There's only a handful of question that need answering, and i always know that Matsumoto works don't let me down in that department. Certainly looking forward to the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am ashamed to admit that besides a couple episodes of Harlock I have not seen any of the Leiji Matsumoto series.
It's not always a bad thing, because it means you now have enough reasons to check out more of his works. I could give you a least of what to check out, because believe me they're some of the best works i've ever seen. Matsumoto is a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Interesting. Though we really have no idea what is going on from just the episode. That Maya was voiced by Tanaka Rie perks my interests.
We know quite a bit to tell you the truth. Enough that's needed for a first episode, even if it's only a 6 episode series.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:28   Link #24
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Coming in I was familiar with Harlock and Galaxy Express and enjoyed both.I had concerns that if the script had stayed so long under wraps it was maybe just because it wasn't that good and the fact that it was only going to be 6 episodes long.

But everything looks good so far,the premise is pretty standard but the characters are fun and so was the action,this should be a fun ride.
Old 2012-03-17, 23:00   Link #25
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
I am ashamed to admit that besides a couple episodes of Harlock I have not seen any of the Leiji Matsumoto series. However I do like old school series so I am glad I checked this out.
Still doing better than me, I don't think I've seen any of his other works....

Anyway, quite a fast pace but I thoroughly enjoyed that, the setting reminded me a bit of The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye (future desert setting with retro technology) and I love the idea of a ship being able to dive through sand. With the pacing this fast I think we should get a full story in six episodes for sure, can't wait for the next one!

Also, shouldn't one of the mods move this soon?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 23:01   Link #26
Utsuro no Hako

Any story featuring sandworms gets an automatic "A" in my book, even if they don't call them sandworms. Looks like this is going to be a nice companion to Miniskirts Space Pirates on Saturdays.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 11:18   Link #27
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I absolutely loves the female captain, she is so BOSS.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 11:46   Link #28
Kirarakim

Does the setting remind anyone else of Dune? Not that this is a bad thing since it's one of my favorite novels.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-03-18 at 12:18.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 12:06   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I was constantly thinking of Star Wars. And frankly I didn't really like this episode that much. I hope it gets better because none of those characters were particularly interesting and there's too little given about the plot to be interested in it. Plus those character designs are an eyesore...

I haven't seen any of Leiji Matsumoto's previous works so I don't have any particular expectations or anything.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 12:12   Link #30
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Does the setting remind anyone else of Dune? Not that's bad thing since it's one of my favorite novels.
A mix of Dune and Star Wars to me,not surprising since the plot was written in the 80s
Old 2012-03-18, 12:23   Link #31
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Plus those character designs are an eyesore...
A very different opinion from me. Matsumoto's character designs are what got me so very interested in anime way back when. Back when we called it "Japanamination" and not "anime". I was happy to see their return in Ozma.

My big concern is that I don't see how the writers can do justice to the world and its people in 6 episodes. There's already so much that's begging to be explored.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2012-03-18 at 15:02. Reason: typo
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:37   Link #32
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
If he wrote more now... It won't be the same. I guess he was stuck with that one.

Btw how long are the episodes?
Old 2012-03-18, 13:54   Link #33
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

About 23 minutes long.
Old 2012-03-18, 14:35   Link #34
ookamigirl

Post apocalyptic would kinda describe this.
After seeing the "thing" the called Ozuma, I totally got The Dune vibe.
Sam & Maya, they are trouble magnets..
It was pretty interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 21:37   Link #35
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not bad this feels like an old 70s type of anime and seem a little like Green legend Ran and Captain Harlock
Old 2012-03-18, 22:39   Link #36
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I was constantly thinking of Star Wars. And frankly I didn't really like this episode that much. I hope it gets better because none of those characters were particularly interesting and there's too little given about the plot to be interested in it. Plus those character designs are an eyesore...

I haven't seen any of Leiji Matsumoto's previous works so I don't have any particular expectations or anything.
Like how I'm more in sync with this kind of old school style of series I think you might be a little more in sync with the more modern trends in anime. Not sure this is the kind of show for you at all just based on what I've been able to tell of your interests, but I might be wrong.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 22:56   Link #37
sa547
*Author

Gonna give this "comeback" show a shot, considering that in the past I used to watch Starblazers, then decades later comes Interstella 5555.
Old 2012-03-19, 14:53   Link #38
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Like how I'm more in sync with this kind of old school style of series I think you might be a little more in sync with the more modern trends in anime. Not sure this is the kind of show for you at all just based on what I've been able to tell of your interests, but I might be wrong.
It's just one episode so I can't say I have problems with the story yet. Really, I've seen worse introductions before and the art is the only thing I felt retro about it. It's strange because i don't recall other 80's anime I've watched having such distracting character designs. I think it's probably because I unconsciously associated it with poor picture quality/resolution, so seeing this kind of art in bright colours and clear cut quality is a little jarring for me now.

You might have a point though. I only really came into anime in 2008 and the only 80's anime I've seen are the Gundam anime and Studio Ghibli films.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 15:23   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Plus those character designs are an eyesore...
Blasphemy.
Old 2012-03-19, 15:37   Link #40
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Thr art style is actually early 1970s, though this has been modified somewhat. The colors are a bit brighter that usual and the faces seem slightly different than the normal Matsumoto anime characters. Maybe that is just from putting 2010s tech-art into 1970s style art.

Though not that different from Space Symphony Maetel (2004), Galaxy Railways (2003), or maybe even as far back as Cosmo Warrior Zero (2001).