AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 09:51   Link #20541
witchfan

That's fair. I was interested in your and Jan-Poo's predictions as, having lurked here for little over a year, I consider your discussions the most fruitful. Now I can peacefully wait for EP8....

(By the way, I'll have to agree with you on the Howdunnit. I don't think it's very interesting either. From reading a few interviews, though, looks like we'll get a good idea of How(really)dunnit in EP8.)
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 09:52   Link #20542
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, I'm interested in the howdunnit, just not the specifics of all the ones from the individual stories. I'm assuming (hoping, more like) that there's a "real killer" and I am interested in what they did and how they tried to do it, though if the explosion really happened I guess they failed... or succeeded... well, that's kind of what I'm wondering about.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 10:01   Link #20543
witchfan

Right. I thought that's what you meant. I'm interested in the general idea (bribes? fake corpses?) but, though I did think of the individual tricks of the EPs, I don't find them too fascinating.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:08   Link #20544
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
But you know what would make me feel like she does, in her situation? Finding out I'm just being used because it's convenient to Genji (and/or Nanjo/Kumasawa). Having my insecurities soothed by people I trust assuring me that I'm somebody special when I'm actually just being built up to make somebody else feel better or get somebody some money. That I convinced myself I'd have to give up on two consecutive romances because I thought I was related to them.

You want a motive to go psycho, there's one.
That would be really satisfying, actually. If Yasu isn't related to Kinzo in the first place, it would put a proper cap on the whole line of "man from 19 years ago" bullshit we've been fed for three episodes, and it's a pretty good supporting motive for ditching the money in the fake murder game too. "You want to use me to get to the inheritance and the gold? See how well that works when I give it all to everyone else."
Old 2010-12-29, 12:36   Link #20545
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I admit, the fake wincest idea is kind of awesome and satisfying, but I'm not sure I like the idea that they gave up this three-episode "revelation" buildup just to go "nevermind it was a troll lolololol"
Old 2010-12-29, 13:11   Link #20546
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I admit, the fake wincest idea is kind of awesome and satisfying, but I'm not sure I like the idea that they gave up this three-episode "revelation" buildup just to go "nevermind it was a troll lolololol"
For your consideration:

Suppose that the person who gave the idea to Yasu, whether true or not, just sufficient to drive her psycho and make her turn on Genji and Nanjo, was not Genji/Nanjo/Kumasawa?

If you follow where I'm going on this. It doesn't matter if Yasu is or isn't the baby or if there was or wasn't a baby. The motive just has to derive from what Yasu does or does not believe. Her character does not change whether the baby really was her or not.

But it makes a damn sight of difference if she got the doubt planted in her head by the true mastermind.

Old 2010-12-29, 13:31   Link #20547
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I can see it now

Kyrie: So you're actually Kinzo's interest baby!

Yasu: OH MY GOD! Wait, why should I believe you?

Kyrie: ....um...because....George hid your letter? *coughcoughgivemethegoldcoughcough*

Yasu: Uwaaaahhhh ;_;
Old 2010-12-29, 14:37   Link #20548
Kylon99

EP8 ETA: ~ 30 hours till it hits Comike 79.

Are you guys going to go back into hiding to avoid spoilers? Or are more of you guys going to attempt the Japanese version to keep up?
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 14:39   Link #20549
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post

Are you guys going to go back into hiding to avoid spoilers? Or are more of you guys going to attempt the Japanese version to keep up?
I'll do as usual and avoid this thread until I read the whole episode. Unfortunately I'm very slow at that...

For what concern the actual parentage of Yasu. I would say that the idea that she isn't really Beatrice2's daughter is supported by the fact that Kinzo was ready to recognize as Beatrice whoever would solve the epitaph.... if it wasn't for the fact that Yasu has clearly been a special case since 10 years before.
So basically this point that would be otherwise pretty interesting becomes completely irrelevant under this light.

If you want to speculate that Yasu isn't really Beatrice you'd have to think that someone (Genji or the whole Gensawajo) planned to make her pass for Lion since the time she was hired. And of course this is a lot less probable than the idea that Genji decided to use a bit of magic to grant his best friend his last wish before dying.
You'd have to assume there is some patient mastermind behind this, someone who would be ready to wait 10 years for something that was never guaranteed to succeed (and which didn't if he aimed for the gold).

But then we go back to the usual problem. There doesn't seem to be enough evidence to understand who is this mastermind not even after 7 episodes. Is it really all right for a mastermind of this kind to pop up without any real foreshadowing? Is there really a character who had the power to set up this plan and which was foreshadowed to have an actual interest in doing so?

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2010-12-29 at 14:49.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 14:47   Link #20550
luckyssol

It’ll be the same for me. Though, I may write up some quick summaries for the first few chapters like I did with ep7. We’ll see.
Old 2010-12-29, 14:56   Link #20551
SidVicious
Anime addict

Some suspicious torrents are floating around.
Old 2010-12-29, 14:57   Link #20552
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
Some suspicious torrents are floating around.
Ignore them, they're fakes. Probably malware-infested to boot.
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 15:07   Link #20553
Keriaku
Thought Being

And how do people think the Sumaderas are going to factor into all this? They must have some part, even if it's a small part.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 15:09   Link #20554
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
HAHAHA I SPEAK JAPANESE SCREW YOU GUYS.

Quote:
For what concern the actual parentage of Yasu. I would say that the idea that she isn't really Beatrice2's daughter is supported by the fact that Kinzo was ready to recognize as Beatrice whoever would solve the epitaph.... if it wasn't for the fact that Yasu has clearly been a special case since 10 years before.
So basically this point that would be otherwise pretty interesting becomes completely irrelevant under this light.
"Rudolf, forgive me...but 19 years ago, when you were born, Lion was to be your name! TAKE ALL THE GOLD BEATORIICHEEE"

"....can I take this dress off now before Kyrie sees?"

Quote:
And how do people think the Sumaderas are going to factor into all this? They must have some part, even if it's a small part.
They've already played a part. After the tragedy, they take advantage and try to exploit Ange for the remaining Ushiromiya wealth. They're basically backround details to assure us that it is impossible for Ange to wind up alone AND happy. She can be one but not the other. However, they most certainly have no involvement in the actual tragedy of Rokkenjima.
Old 2010-12-29, 15:24   Link #20555
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
We're willing to attribute to other characters way more advance planning, even Yasu herself (admittedly not on a decades-long timeline, but there was still a lot to do logistically if we buy any of that). Kyrie nursed an 18-year grudge. The idea that someone has been tweaking this thing along toward tragedy (whether they intended that it end as it did or not) is not all that far-fetched.

The "true mastermind" may not have really actually planned out any series of murders or disasters, but I have to think there was somebody at the nucleus of it all causing it to happen. Otherwise we're forced to believe in a confluence of unhappy accidents that compounded into disaster. While that's certainly plausible (and decidedly more realistic, at that), I don't know if it's genre-appropriate.

Old 2010-12-29, 16:07   Link #20556
TehChron

Quote:
We're willing to attribute to other characters way more advance planning, even Yasu herself (admittedly not on a decades-long timeline, but there was still a lot to do logistically if we buy any of that). Kyrie nursed an 18-year grudge. The idea that someone has been tweaking this thing along toward tragedy (whether they intended that it end as it did or not) is not all that far-fetched.

The "true mastermind" may not have really actually planned out any series of murders or disasters, but I have to think there was somebody at the nucleus of it all causing it to happen. Otherwise we're forced to believe in a confluence of unhappy accidents that compounded into disaster. While that's certainly plausible (and decidedly more realistic, at that), I don't know if it's genre-appropriate.
I dunno about that last part, there being a plot but it being incredibly messed around with and even made worse due to circumstances beyond the culprits control sounds genre-appropriate to me.
Old 2010-12-29, 16:12   Link #20557
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

There's a difference between "circumstances got beyond the culprit's control" and "there was no real 'culprit,' just a perfect storm of petty assholes." The latter is usually reserved for one of those dreary Victorian novels where everybody dies miserably to the mechanations of society except for a plucky orphan boy who becomes a businessman.

Old 2010-12-29, 16:35   Link #20558
TehChron

Quote:
There's a difference between "circumstances got beyond the culprit's control" and "there was no real 'culprit,' just a perfect storm of petty assholes." The latter is usually reserved for one of those dreary Victorian novels where everybody dies miserably to the mechanations of society except for a plucky orphan boy who becomes a businessman.
Ah, thought you were referring to the former.
Old 2010-12-29, 16:44   Link #20559
witchfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post

My Japanese is good enough to read about a sentence a minute. That's around four "screens" an hour. I somehow slugged through EP7 (though with about 95% understanding), but I'll probably avoid EP8 until the patch comes out, unless my curiosity kills me... difficult language be damned. I had enough difficulty learning English.
Old 2010-12-29, 16:46   Link #20560
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If there are indeed choices and branches and the like, I imagine it will be much harder for casual Japanese readers to navigate than the more linear ones, but we'll see!