AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-07, 14:35   Link #61
Alchemist007
*Author

With promo code EMCXRXN225 you can get it for $41.99 on newegg.

Was thinking about it myself but yeah I really don't like the first person battle style for a game of this sort.
Old 2013-07-16, 18:30   Link #62
Shadow5YA

Apparently the game is bundled with additional guide book and a music collection CD, which may be why it costs $50. I'm not sure how digitally downloading from the eShop works, so I don't know if getting everything the game is bundled with is possible via digital download. If not, I would recommend getting a physical copy just to get your money's worth.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-07-16 at 18:41.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 07:29   Link #63
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

I'm enjoying SMT IV thus far (going with a Magic build). Also, I'd say the alignment heroes are the best ones in mainline. They feel like actual comrades with personalities rather than a bunch of bland jerks for the Chaos or Law sides to later puppeteer (plus they're actually useful as AI guest characters, unlike the AI from a certain other series in the franchise).
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 11:01   Link #64
GDB

My game isn't scheduled to arrive until next week. How does one "build" a character? I mean, I know there are stats, but I thought only the monsters fought?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 16:51   Link #65
RadiantSoul

I was excited for this game at first, but then I saw the new art, and then the setting. It just doesn't seem even close to what I want from this series. I really loved the cyberpunk elements from the older games, as well Kazuma Kaneko's fantastic art. Seeing someone else draw the monsters is just depressing. I like SMT 1 the best, but I also really liked Strange Journey and Nocturne. Despite the problems I have with the game (stated above), would you still recommend SMT 4 to me?
RadiantSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 21:02   Link #66
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
My game isn't scheduled to arrive until next week. How does one "build" a character? I mean, I know there are stats, but I thought only the monsters fought?
Flynn the main character fights with his monsters.

Magic is aburdly strong in this game because you need far less stats to make it work.

Physical you need STR, DEX, Agility, and Luck.

Magic only needs MAG and Agility. Luck if you like Status Effect Magic.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 21:48   Link #67
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Every level you get 5 stat points, which you can choose to allocate to Strength, Dexterity, Magic, Agility, and Luck.

Strength affects Strike type physical attacks.
Dexterity affects Piercing or "Gun" type physical attacks.
Magic is self-explanatory.
Agility affects your evasion and turn order.
Luck affects critical hit rates and success on status inflicting attacks.

Your character fights along with the demons. It's been this way, even in Nocturne.
Old 2013-07-18, 00:26   Link #68
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Every level you get 5 stat points, which you can choose to allocate to Strength, Dexterity, Magic, Agility, and Luck.

Strength affects Strike type physical attacks.
Dexterity affects Piercing or "Gun" type physical attacks.
Magic is self-explanatory.
Agility affects your evasion and turn order.
Luck affects critical hit rates and success on status inflicting attacks.

Your character fights along with the demons. It's been this way, even in Nocturne.
Also, DEX has a much greater effect on physical/gun skills than STR, as can be seen here in this topic.
Old 2013-07-18, 04:18   Link #69
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Can I just pick 2Dex/2Lu/1Ag while ignoring STR? It seems like gun build are much better now

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 05:20   Link #70
Jun pls

Ugh, I wish I could play the game already but I have to wait for a Europe release Q-Q

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the 3ds only has region lock for 3ds games? Since I was able to play a NA ds game on it just fine. And if it is possible to play NA 3ds games on it I would consider importing SMT 4 ;-;
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 07:50   Link #71
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Can I just pick 2Dex/2Lu/1Ag while ignoring STR? It seems like gun build are much better now
Pretty much. That damage calculation topic in GameFAQs seems to suggest the DEX build is better for both guns and physical skills. Plus later on I believe you get not only elemental bullets but also Almighty ones.
Old 2013-07-18, 08:08   Link #72
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Pretty much. That damage calculation topic in GameFAQs seems to suggest the DEX build is better for both guns and physical skills. Plus later on I believe you get not only elemental bullets but also Almighty ones.
I think the reason people go for strength is to get the best Sword in the game, that requires 100 strength to get.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 11:14   Link #73
Destined_Fate

To get the best gun you need 100 DEX.

So yeah...

Try getting 100 STR/DEX and a ton of MAG. Would be a pain to level as such but with the grinding DLC you can get to 99 very quickly. Note that you cannot start that DLC til you're in your 20s though as that's the level of the enemies there.
Old 2013-07-18, 13:01   Link #74
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantSoul View Post
I was excited for this game at first, but then I saw the new art, and then the setting. It just doesn't seem even close to what I want from this series. I really loved the cyberpunk elements from the older games, as well Kazuma Kaneko's fantastic art. Seeing someone else draw the monsters is just depressing. I like SMT 1 the best, but I also really liked Strange Journey and Nocturne. Despite the problems I have with the game (stated above), would you still recommend SMT 4 to me?
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw Kaneko's name in the game's introduction. I could have sworn he was still the artist for the demons.

The medieval samurai thing is only the initial setting. You'll find many technological aspects later, but saying how would be spoilers. Let's just say not everything is as it seems.

The game also has references to Strange Journey, but again, spoilers...
Old 2013-07-18, 21:50   Link #75
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
I think the reason people go for strength is to get the best Sword in the game, that requires 100 strength to get.
I wouldn't bother with it, personally. The strongest multi-hit melee weapon tend to have better damage output than the Plasma Sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw Kaneko's name in the game's introduction. I could have sworn he was still the artist for the demons.
Yes, Kaneko did the scenario design for the game. That bit of news actually came out before release but no one paid attention to it because they were too busy whining about how Kaneko's abandoned the franchise.
Old 2013-07-18, 22:27   Link #76
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
If you're using guns you'll want some STR at least. May as well go for 100 for the Plasma Sword.
Old 2013-07-18, 23:40   Link #77
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Looking at the damage calculation, it seems that STR only adds a little so I think I'll pick Luk and Ag instead. Probably it'll be hard in the beginning before getting the gun, but eh I'll manage

...then again, my copy will arrive next week so I'm not sure whether this build will be good or not

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 00:19   Link #78
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
If you're using guns you'll want some STR at least. May as well go for 100 for the Plasma Sword.
What? If you're going mainly guns why bother even getting the Plasma Sword. It's not as if you can swing and shoot in the same round.

I say just drop STR, or just have enough STR so you can get through the game until you do get a gun. Then ignore STR after, as every point in STR could've been put to DEX for better results. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 03:41   Link #79
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Hmm, I wonder if the people who've been on blackout for this game will pick up the thematic reason as to why Eastern Mikado's map is menu-based.
Old 2013-07-21, 16:35   Link #80
Shadow5YA

As expected from a main Shin Megami Tensei title, the game is quite unforgiving despite the enemy being subjected to the same rules as the player.

As a "hardcore" gamer, it's a refreshing challenge, but I can see why the much easier Persona is the more popular franchise. Difficulty sounds great on paper, but it doesn't attract new gamers.