AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-22, 16:03   Link #21
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Smoker's not going to die. If anything, this chapter is suggesting that Smoker is going to get payback (whether he himself does it or has assistance) for having been played like a fool by Vergo.
Who knows? Entrusting his men and mission to Tashigi is whats worrying me. Id hate to see him die here, but anything is possible. I can see him teaming up with Law, and maybe both getting their hearts back in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm fairly confident Smoker is going to win against Vergo, albeit it won't be an easy victory. Smoker has already suffered one defeat in this arc, I can't see him losing a second time. This is his chance to redeem himself.
Thats what they said about Brooke and Ryumas rematch.
Old 2012-08-22, 16:45   Link #22
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Punisher View Post
Who knows? Entrusting his men and mission to Tashigi is whats worrying me. Id hate to see him die here, but anything is possible. I can see him teaming up with Law, and maybe both getting their hearts back in the process.
Smoker has been established as a recurring threat to Luffy. Much like Garp was to Roger, Smoker is the same to Luffy. You think suffering a little setback is going to stop Smoker from administering his justice? He's got much greater conviction than that, and he's more determined now than ever to set things straight. Smoker worked hard for 2 whole years to rise up the ranks and get more authority/influence in the marines; there's no way in hell we're going to see him die here, not after the way Oda's built him up.

I remember there were some people who thought Law killed Smoker in their duel; the idea of that was preposterous, to say the least.
Old 2012-08-22, 18:26   Link #23
raziel16

Wow, that "specter mode" is really useful! It can even used to do reconnaissance in inhabitable area (although I think it won't be used that much since Luffy will just blind-charge everything in sight)
Old 2012-08-22, 23:55   Link #24
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 678
Nice chapter. Awesome Smoker vs. Vergo should be a awesome match up. I wonder how Smoker's report this. Losing a Vice Admiral does not go unnoticed. Smoker being head of G-5 sounds pretty cool. Zoro is turning into a babysitter.
Old 2012-08-23, 01:34   Link #25
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
I'm gonna have to say I see Smoker losing if he fights Vergo.... not to say he won't put a good fight or anything.... it's just...

Vergo was just introduced, and we don't even really know what his power is. They way I see it, Smoker and Vergo will fight, we'll see Vergo's power, and Smoker will lose.
Old 2012-08-23, 02:44   Link #26
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Vergo was just introduced, and we don't even really know what his power is. They way I see it, Smoker and Vergo will fight, we'll see Vergo's power, and Smoker will lose.
Smoker isnt going to lose again.

That's why I don't see them going all out in this arc.
Old 2012-08-23, 09:01   Link #27
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

It was great seeing Zoro call Luffy out on taking eh NW seriously and then Luffy doing that attack(which was awesome)
Zoro basically playing his part as "first mate" good to know he's always the same and there to put Luffy in his place when he needs to be.

I just wonder how many more crazy attack techniques Oda can come up with Luffy, his new is lolz!
Old 2012-08-23, 10:04   Link #28
marvelB

As far as Smoker goes, while I still sort of doubt that he'll beat Vergo, he may not necessarily lose against him, either. Again, it pretty much depends on just how deadly a fighter Vergo is. We already know he's capable of using haki (it was established before the skip that ALL VA-level marines are capable of using it), but we don't exactly know what fighting style he has, aside from the bamboo flute we saw him using as a weapon. Personally, I think it would be pretty cool if he had a unique martial arts style that ISN'T rokushiki (which we've seen various other VAs use), but that's just me....
Old 2012-08-23, 10:40   Link #29
james0246

^If Vergo was just a marine VA, then I would definitely expect him to use rokushiki. But since he is also part of DoFlamingo's gang, he should have something more.

That being said, I am completely uninterested in seeing Smoker fight. Beyond his initial introduction, his powers have never been that impressive, and I've honestly never been impressed with him as an antagonist (for Luffy). It certainly doesn't help that I think his design is boring and his scar really lame. Give me more Tashigi, less Smoker...
Old 2012-08-23, 10:46   Link #30
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
^Actually, that is exactly why I am so eager to see Smoker fight. You just know there has to be more to him than just going poof. Although I have to admit that I myself am having a hard time imagining what else he could do with his power.
Old 2012-08-23, 10:57   Link #31
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Give me more Tashigi, less Smoker...
I just had the craziest idea. Imagine Smoker dies and, assuming the theory about DF powers transfering to the next fruit is correct, Tashigi happens to be there, eating her banana for lunch?
Old 2012-08-23, 11:13   Link #32
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, I am completely uninterested in seeing Smoker fight. Beyond his initial introduction, his powers have never been that impressive, and I've honestly never been impressed with him as an antagonist (for Luffy). It certainly doesn't help that I think his design is boring and his scar really lame. Give me more Tashigi, less Smoker...

I kind of agree, but just to an extent. Admittedly, Smoker's not my favorite marine either, but I do think he still has potential as a fighter, especially now that he's a VA. I pointed this out a while back, but IMO he actually showed more skill with his jutte in Tashigi's body during that one really brief scuffle with Luffy than he ever did in any of his past fights. Plus, as I already said last post, the fact that he IS a VA should mean that he's a haki user now, so that should open up new possibilities for his fighting style, as well....

But hey, if he does end up jobbing to Vergo, at least I'll still have post-skip Hina to look forward to (who hopefully is also a VA by this point)!
Old 2012-08-23, 15:10   Link #33
janipani

Reason why Smokers been seemingly dull fighter is because he has never really needed much fighting against Luffy. He is logia-user and he has seastone jutte.

But not all strong pirates are devilfruit powered, so he has to be able to do something else than just be poking his stick around.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2012-08-23, 23:10   Link #34
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Vergo seemingly having CoA haki is gonna pose a problem for our smokey too.
Old 2012-08-24, 03:33   Link #35
Jouten

I sooo hope Smoker wins against Vergo. He really needs to redeem himself, because we all should know that he is stronger than his fight against Law suggested. (I mean that's like meassuring Zoro's power after he loses against Perona, or more recently saying Luffy is weak, because he lost against Caesar)

He is Luffy's Garp and I can't wait to see some of his new techniques finally.

Then again, Luffy is destined to fight the strongest, so I can see that Smoker is beating Vergo but then in the end loses because they have his heart (Like Monet stepping in and clutching his heart the moment before he delivers the victory blow)
But it's rare enough that a non-Straw Hat gets revenge time, so I'll keep my fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Reason why Smokers been seemingly dull fighter is because he has never really needed much fighting against Luffy. He is logia-user and he has seastone jutte.

But not all strong pirates are devilfruit powered, so he has to be able to do something else than just be poking his stick around.
He already proved that he is a capable physical fighter when he kept up with base Luffy in Tashigi's body. I really hope we're gonna see how strong he is when he finally gets some real blows on someone. (Then again Smoker usually wins against DF users, once he lands a hit with his Jitte on them, and that's the reason why we never see how strong his physical capability is)
Old 2012-08-24, 09:38   Link #36
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post

I don't think that's much of an excuse. Both Crocodile and Eneru are logias and they showed a lot more variation in their abilities against Luffy than Smoker ever did so far (case in point: Eneru was one of the first enemy haki users we've seen in the series, despite haki not having been properly introduced to us readers at the time). That's why I'm hoping that our smokey friend reveals that he knows some Smoke-Fu or learned MMA or something during the skip, lest I find him to be as interesting as watching paint dry from this moment forth.....
Old 2012-08-24, 10:50   Link #37
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I don't think that's much of an excuse. Both Crocodile and Eneru are logias and they showed a lot more variation in their abilities against Luffy than Smoker ever did so far (case in point: Eneru was one of the first enemy haki users we've seen in the series, despite haki not having been properly introduced to us readers at the time). That's why I'm hoping that our smokey friend reveals that he knows some Smoke-Fu or learned MMA or something during the skip, lest I find him to be as interesting as watching paint dry from this moment forth.....
Variation is not always a good thing...Why change a winning formula?

Quote:
I thought Coby was supposed to be Luffy's Garp. Beeing even trained by Garp himself.
Garp was supposed to be equals with Roger, having cornered him numerous times over the years.

When has Coby ever fought Luffy to a near standstill, or cornered him at all? Being trained by Garp is irrelevant in this comparison.
Old 2012-08-24, 11:01   Link #38
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
It's perfectly reasonable. He doesn't need to do anything else against Luffy. Or if you like, this is the most effective method against luffy.

Enel and Crocodile had to do all those variations because their other methods didn't work or they were just being dumb (e.g. Crocodile drying him up and not ripping him into half).
Old 2012-08-24, 11:22   Link #39
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Variation is not always a good thing...Why change a winning formula?
Depends. Is being a one-trick pony really THAT effective if your enemies eventually wise up to you? Smokey had it good when Luffy was a novice with haki, but things are quite different now, to say the least. If anyone else could think of a better alternative for him to improve aside from expanding his repertoire of techniques, I'm all ears.....
Old 2012-08-24, 11:22   Link #40
Jouten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Really? I think Smoker has shown great versatility of his powers. He's just more a fighter like Luffy who relies on his physical attacks than on his Logia attacks (Just recently he used something similar like Gomu Gomu no Gatling). Of course he could try to suffocate people in smoke and have a fighting style more like Caesar, but why should he do this if he can just hit someone in the face with a strong blow by propelling himself towards him?
Smoker is one of the faster Logia users, too (he was faster than Gear 2nd Luffy, I think even Enel can't keep up with that)
Also he probably designed the bike he rides by himself, which is pretty impressive, if you ask me.

And it's not like we ever saw Smoker go all out on someone. I really hope the fight againt Vergo changes that. People think Smoker has a weak DF, but he would beat someone like Crocodile, if you ask me, who has a rather powerful DF, but didn't train his physical abilities.
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion