AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 16
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 31 24.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 27 21.09%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 7.81%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 6.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.34%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-20, 01:30   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online - Episode 16 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online, Episode 16.

The Land of Fairies - 妖精たちの国 ~ Yousei-tachi no Kuni

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-27 at 00:56.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 06:09   Link #2
Solafighter
Hige

Finaly saturday.

Hope to be able to watch it tonight.
Old 2012-10-20, 06:14   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The reason why I chosen Sunday as my OFF in duty.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 07:04   Link #4
Zeriand
Banned

Can't wait to see the Fairy World; I wonder how they'll portray it...?
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 08:48   Link #5
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Darn can't wait to see this animated. The preview got me all excited.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 10:26   Link #6
Deltaray

Well, two things, they really are going slow with the story compared to first 14 episodes, two, was that Sugu choke scene really needed lol.

And holy shit Recon looks stupid and sounds stupid as hell.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 10:31   Link #7
Haru-kun

This episode was quite good, considering that they are taking it slower as compared to the SAO arc, leaving more time for character development.

Sugu in this episode was very cute, but Asuna is still the best xD
Looking for the next episode
Haru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 10:38   Link #8
Marina2

Question for novel readers..

Where does this ep. end??
Spoiler for ep.16:
Old 2012-10-20, 10:40   Link #9
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Question for novel readers..

Where does this ep. end??
Spoiler for ep.16:
Spoiler for Answer:
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 10:50   Link #10
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

For some reason, the cappers this week forgot to take a clear version of the End Card. So I'll just give this GIF from the episode that they did make:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler for Episode:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:00   Link #11
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Images
Red Sweater Suguha > Red Pajama Suguha

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:43   Link #12
Divini
Senpai!

*looks around and sees no one has done so yet* It looks like it's my turn to shine.

END CARD GET!!!!

Images
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:09   Link #13
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Yui! Yay! And hooray for Kirito bad*ssery! From "beater" to cheater lol. Recon was okay for the most part. He's "in-character" I guess.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:34   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

lol - so, in this episode Kazuto enters the world of Alfheim Online, which is basically a modified copy of SAO run by RCT (run by you know who...), but there's one huge bug/exploit: Any player from SAO who logs in with the same NerveGear gets to keep all of the skill points from the previous game, giving them a massive advantage. And so that's why, even as a n00b, Kirito is able to be "h4x" out of the gate. As he says in the episode, he really is a cheater this time. I suppose they never actually tested this scenario, considering I'm guessing most of the SAO players aren't really interested in playing any more Virtual MMOs for the time being -- except, of course, Kirito.

(Oh yeah, and in this game, it's okay to die, and you can logout. Thanks goodness... )

I suppose the reappearance of Yui also points to the odd correlation between the NerveGear (client) and the game -- it seems all the items are stored in the NerveGear memory, but just interpreted by the game. (That seems initially like an odd way of doing it, but it would be faster, plus I suppose they don't expect anyone to be able to hack into their own NerveGear while they're in the MMO world.) That would explain why Yui's Heart was represented by an item in SAO. Here, she respawns, but the system considers her a Navigation Pixie, so she takes that form (presumably to avoid detection by this game's version of Cardinal).

Anyway, thanks to the unique advantage Kirito has, it seems like he'll be able to level up really quickly, which is necessary if he wants save Asuna before the week is done. So it's definitely a plot hack, but probably a necessary one, and it does raise some interesting points about how this "rip-off game" was created, and just how it's related to SAO. (One thing they didn't say is *when* this game was created. If Asuna moved there right after SAO ended, does that mean the game was launched before hand? They also say that the version of Cardinal they're running is a bit out-of-date, but does that mean the copy was made even before SAO launched, or just that Cardinal evolved by the end of SAO? Anyway these are all rhetorical questions, and I'm not asking for novel answers -- I'm sure we'll get our answers in time.)

Edit: Oh, and I should also say we met Lyfa in the game. They alluded to the fact that, in this game, "PKing is encouraged", so it seems like the races are in competition or at war with each other (sort of like Horde vs. Alliance in WoW?). But Lyfa and her friend were kind of severely outnumbered -- perhaps they stumbled into enemy territory. The also talked about a "death penalty" -- you must get respawned somewhere and probably take some sort of hit on your stats or equipment. Hopefully it's not as steep as the death penalty in FFXI -- levelling down was horrible!

Edit 2: Oh. If Kirito kept all his skills when he moved to this game, then I suppose that means that Asuna kept all of her skills too, along with the rest of the 300 who got transferred over. Not that I suppose it might help them at the moment if they're all trapped the way Asuna is, but if they manage to get free...
Old 2012-10-20, 14:40   Link #15
Utsuro no Hako

So the depowerment of Asuna continues with the revelation that she's being held in a bird cage. Meanwhile, Kirito's off playing the white knight for the first random female player he meets in the woods -- just like always.

And why exactly did Kirito decide to go this alone? Put in a call to Liz and say, "Hey, I've found out what happened to Asuna. Wanna help rescue her?" Then call Klein and say, "Hey, wanna meet a really cute 16 year old girl? No, I'm not sure if she's an imouto. Just bring all your Fuurinkazan buddies."
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:44   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
And why exactly did Kirito decide to go this alone? Put in a call to Liz and say, "Hey, I've found out what happened to Asuna. Wanna help rescue her?" Then call Klein and say, "Hey, wanna meet a really cute 16 year old girl? No, I'm not sure if she's an imouto. Just bring all your Fuurinkazan buddies."
I'm not sure that, after all they just went through, all these people would really be up for another MMORPG just as they're getting readjusted to their real lives... Plus, at the moment, it's just a suspicious photo, not confirmed fact. His goal at this point is just to confirm the validity of the photo and see if that's really Asuna. If it is her, then he has to come up with a way to rescue her...

Besides that: a) Kirito has been a loner since day one, so that's nothing new, and b) there are other people in the new game anyway.

That said, if he knew they'd all get "hack points" like he did (keeping all the old skills), there may be some advantage to it...
Old 2012-10-20, 14:46   Link #17
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So the depowerment of Asuna continues with the revelation that she's being held in a bird cage. Meanwhile, Kirito's off playing the white knight for the first random female player he meets in the woods -- just like always.

Well some peeps might not like it but it's what we get so either we grin and bear it, enjoy it for what it is or quit watching all together. Why don't you give it some more time.

On a side note Kirito's skills max out at 1000 huh? And from what Agil said Alfheim put's emphasis on skills rather than actual levels so it's not just a major advantage. It's overkill. A noob OHKOing a vet player? I'm surprised they didn't report him to a GM.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:47   Link #18
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Yeah, I'm sure that'd go down well, "Hey, Liz/Scilia/Klein, wanna Trooper Transform and We are VR For a while?" I'm sure some people wouldn't ever touch the broadside of a NervGear again if they could get away with it.

I kinda imagined
Spoiler for spoilers:
to look more like an independent coffee shop than something out of Bebop. Now I have Jet's VA Stuck as his voice actor for the inevitable dub.

That said, after the Bay-tastic way things exploded when killed in SAO, It's kinda lame to go to the Death Flame.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:50   Link #19
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that'd go down well, "Hey, Liz/Scilia/Klein, wanna Trooper Transform and We are VR For a while?" I'm sure some people wouldn't ever touch the broadside of a NervGear again if they could get away with it.

I kinda imagined
Spoiler for spoilers:
to look more like an independent coffee shop than something out of Bebop. Now I have Jet's VA Stuck as his voice actor for the inevitable dub.

That said, after the Bay-tastic way things exploded when killed in SAO, It's kinda lame to go to the Death Flame.
VR Troopers? That's like ancient man LOL I think the death flame is ok for the theme. I mean in SAO shattering represents the fact that when you're gone you're gone forever. In Alfheim it's not the case.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:51   Link #20
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, thoughts:

* Incestoul cousin-love was kept to a minimum. Even better, blonde elf girl in OP is apparently not incestous cousin, which raises the possibility that the incestoul cousin-love will continue to be kept to a minimum (keeping fingers crossed that none of the other characters seen in the OP turn out to be the cousin).

* SAO has always strived to keep a balance between catering to and away from otaku cliches, so I can't fault it-I guess-for increasing Kirito's harem I guess.

* Great to see that this new world seems to have more PK occurring (which, makes sense, seeing as you really died in SAO, which in turn probably kept PKing way lower than it would have normally). I thought the PK angle was grossly underexplored during the SAO arc, so as a die-hard PKer myself, I'm hoping it has more play here.

* The awesome that was PK occurring was mitigated a bit by...well....fairies. LoL. I'm not sure Aion would have had as much success if the Daeva were flying around on fairy wings.

* I wonder what the death penalty is? Regardless of how bad it is, I've always played from the philosophy of high risk, high reward. I don't know if these players are just far more conservative in their approach to gaming, or if this death penalty is on a completely different level than anything I've encountered in a real MMO (though, I admit, in early games 0f the 90s, it was pretty annoying).

* Kirito seems completely overpowered, so it'll be interesting to see what is thrown in his way to not over-trivialize his rescue of Asuna.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote