AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-12, 11:11   Link #1
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Talking How to maintain mangas?

Hello people,

As you know the pages in a manga turns yellow as time passes by. And it aches my heart. lol. However, i believe there's a way to prevent this from happening. And it's just that i don't know.

So i would like to seek advises from you people out there!

Would appreciate if anyone would share their methods with me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-04-12, 15:29   Link #2
coren

The yellowing is due to acid building up because of poor paper quality and there's not much you can do to stop it. You can slow it down a bit by keeping them in a dark, cool, dry place.
Old 2008-04-12, 15:50   Link #3
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

It's not becuase of bad paper quality, all paper turns yellow as it ages. Even the best quality on the market stuff does.

Though keeping them out of direct sunlight is the best way o slowing it down. Also whash your hands with an alkaline soap before you read them, which would prevent acidic transfer from your hands (as in sweat, and just general moisture)
Old 2008-04-12, 15:54   Link #4
coren

Good quality paper has most of the lignin removed which stops it turning yellow (or at least slows the process down by decades).
Old 2008-04-13, 01:21   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you notice some repetition... yeah.

1) Avoid direct sunlight. Soft ambient indirect lighting.
2) Temperature control.
3) If you're *really* anal ... minimize touching the paper or at least make sure your hands are well-washed.

yeah, the acid itself is really something out of your control. Seriously, the sunlight thing is the most important aspect.
Old 2008-04-13, 04:56   Link #6
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Ooooh. Alright. Thanks alot people!

So it's ok if i were to keep it inside some drawers with a moisture absorber and it will generally slows down the process right?

Btw izzit ok if i were to put them in those shelves with glass doors a.k.a display shelves? As in doin' so will expose them to the sunlight too right? Though it's not direct, it would still fasten the pace izzit?

Cause would like to display them somehow. lol.

Last edited by seraphicmin; 2008-04-13 at 05:01. Reason: typo =/
Old 2008-04-13, 08:25   Link #7
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

You could always do what alot of people seem to do, buy 2 copies. One for display, and one for reading. Just realise that no matter what you do, within a few years they're going to start to go yellow. dosent matter if you store them in a cupboard in total darkness or on a book shelf.

As for washing your hands, it really depends on how acidic you are. Some people have a higher acidicity than others. If you find your leaving marks behind on the pages just by touching them, then yes use an alkaline soap (note that most soaps are acidic by deafult, you need to buy proper alkaline soap) to help neutralise it.
Old 2008-04-13, 10:47   Link #8
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

[QUOTE=Tiamat's Disciple;1531115]You could always do what alot of people seem to do, buy 2 copies. One for display, and one for reading. QUOTE]

i did that for ichigo 100%. one was for everyone's reading while another one was kept in a cool dark shelf as part of my precious collection.
Old 2008-04-13, 12:30   Link #9
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Oh. But even if it's brand new and sealed, it still will turn yellow, doesnt it? o.o
Old 2008-04-13, 12:36   Link #10
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

yes, just takes longer
Old 2008-04-14, 08:28   Link #11
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Oh! Icic. Thanks lots people!

I can now start buying more mangas!
Closed Thread