Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-11-29, 00:12   Link #1
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
What's the best choice in a new laptop?

My current laptop is ancient by technology standards: Windows vista, 180gb HDD, and only 2 gb RAM. Not to mention that my HDD is failing on my quite often. I've been looking at the plethora of options out there, and while I'm probably going to stay with a Toshiba 15.6 in, the rest is where I'm hoping to get some advice.

First off, the uses that I'm looking to do: mostly browse the internet and email, with occasional game playing, but I usually only do browser-based or Hearthstone (and maybe even Solforge)... and the occasional emulator, but the emulators are for the old systems (as in PS1 and earlier). So I don't think I need to worry too much about a gaming laptop. Otherwise, I also use it do download and watch a lot of anime (and a movie every once in a while). So those are my main uses.

So, here's what I've been looking at: 8GB of RAM, 1TB of HDD space. Still only 5400 rpm, and I believe the core is an Intel i5. On one hand, I like all these specs. On the other hand, it's also over $400, and I'm trying to keep the amount I spend under $400. The other options are going with 4GB of RAM and 500GB HDD, and most likely an AMD A8 processor, with potentially 8.1 (not sure if free upgrade will be included). This laptop is more budget-friendly, but I'm not sure if the specs would be too low-end, and more importantly, if 500 GB with 4GB ram would work for all the videos I download and watch.

Any suggestions as to which is better for my described uses? I'm also more partial to Intel myself, but if AMD will do everything for me that Intel would in this case, then I might go with AMD.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-29, 00:58   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Higher end mobile AMD cpus are generally okay for simple daily use stuff and/or the things you describe you imagining you would use it for. The more cores the better, but even so the speed will not be "noticeable".

At work I have a Lenovo 8 core amd cpu, but that machine also has a solid state hard drive and 16gb of Ram. It runs Windows 7 and I have been able to run linux mint 17.2 in VM Virtual Box. I also have a Lenovo 2 core amd cpu with a 5400 rpm hdd and it runs ... well ... pretty slow in Windows 7. So, unless you get the higher end amd mobile cpus with multiple cores, in my opinion it is not worth it as a long term investment.

I'd stick with Intel for now. The i5 cpu is a decent investment, and it will work better with the 5400 rpm, I think.
Old 2015-11-29, 02:34   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

NO for the 5200 RPM hdd.

At my work with we recently got a new line of PC and we experimented with ssd. Same image and same conditions to everything else on both PC. For example the sdd login in user account is 10-15s while with a 7200 RPM hdd is 30-45s. It's difference it's worth it.

Look you don't need to buy a big sdd. Just a 120 GB one is enough for OS and installed programs. Just use other hdd as external hdd connected to a usb for stockpile.

I tell you from personal experience that a ssd is worth it.
Old 2015-11-29, 03:56   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

SSD's are cheap now. Got mine for almost the same price as a regular HD.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-29, 14:38   Link #5
IceHism

For that price, I'd assume a used lenovo thinkpad is the best bet. They are cheap but the build quality is good and you can put in more ram and an SSD yourself if you really need it. I've seen some broadwell versions go for pretty cheap.

Also, never get amd CPUs, Intel outclasses them way too hard and you don't save much
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote