AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-10, 11:34   Link #1
xxhopingtearsxx

What is Domestic Manga?

What is "domestic manga"? No need to explain the "manga" part. I need to know this since I plan on buying manga from Animenation (Honestly, I compared prices with JustManga and they're a hell of a lot cheaper) and it says "domestic manga".. Just to be sure it's not Japanese since I'm not learning Japanese yet.
Old 2008-04-10, 14:07   Link #2
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Domestic is just anopther word for OEL as far as i know, as in manga that was drawn and created by americans/brits/canadians.

Though i have also heard it used to describe stuff like the green lantern, batman and superman graphic novels
Old 2008-04-10, 21:28   Link #3
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Though i have also heard it used to describe stuff like the green lantern, batman and superman graphic novels
...you serious?

That's just dumb (not you, person who used it).

OP: What Tiamat's Disciple said. It's a manga-style comic made by Westerners in the West. There are many names: OEL manga, Amerimanga, etc. Quality varies; some great, some derivative junk. It faces the same essential problem as the Korean manwha market: while some artists are genuine talents, others just can't seem to get any further than shallow imitations of shallow Japanese works.

And you don't have to worry about the language. They're in English.
Old 2008-04-13, 02:17   Link #4
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhopingtearsxx View Post
What is "domestic manga"? No need to explain the "manga" part. I need to know this since I plan on buying manga from Animenation (Honestly, I compared prices with JustManga and they're a hell of a lot cheaper) and it says "domestic manga".. Just to be sure it's not Japanese since I'm not learning Japanese yet.
Animenation calls the Japanese raws "imported manga" and the licensed translated English versions "domestic manga"; OEL ("original english language") is the term someone came up with for manga-styled English-language comics (like all of those Tokyopop "Rising Stars of Manga" winners).
Old 2008-04-13, 03:52   Link #5
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
...It faces the same essential problem as the Korean manwha market: .
so far the only korean manhwa that's enjoying relative success is Unbalance X Unbalance. and dont even try to compare its popularity to some other japanese mangas such as vampire knight or something.
Old 2008-04-13, 06:03   Link #6
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I'd have thought NoW and Chang Ryun Jhang would be considered successful , or do you just mean in America?

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2008-04-13, 10:43   Link #7
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

You have to realise that alot of korean stuff is been treated as manga, and alot of people don't even realise they're reading korean stuff. This is down to how the publishers have handled it. Most of them consider the fans to thick to understand the difference, so just lump them all together and call it manga.

There's alot more korean manga that is actually selling well, and has sold well, than you'd imagine.
Closed Thread