Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-05-04, 00:54   Link #1
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Left handed?

This topic came to my mind because I was having trouble folding that t-shirt in the "new way to folding t-shirts" thread, but then I change hands and it was done!

So this is to discuss problems you have if you are left handed in this right-handed world.

The main problem I have is using somebody else's computer, Im already used to my left handed mouse .

also is difficult to write when you are next to someone because you always end up colliding elbows, I always get send to the left corner of the table

The other huge problem I had was when writing kanji, because the horizontal traces are done left to right. My kanjis always look awful.

If I remember more problems I will post later.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 01:49   Link #2
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Biggest problems for me, being left-handed:

1. Taking notes in my binder. (hassle)
2. Games, I need my mouse/buttons on the left hand side too. (Thank you Sony for the wonderful creation of the PSX controller).
3. Kanji, my teacher was such a bitch about stroke order, I even told her its extra effort/time for me to do it like a right-handed person, and even though I change it around, ITS THE SAME THING. She still marked me off on tests.
4. Folding shirts the uber way.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 02:23   Link #3
Yoshi31
Resident Dinosaur

Send a message via AIM to Yoshi31 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoshi31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Biggest problems for me, being left-handed:

1. Taking notes in my binder. (hassle)
2. Games, I need my mouse/buttons on the left hand side too. (Thank you Sony for the wonderful creation of the PSX controller).
3. Kanji, my teacher was such a bitch about stroke order, I even told her its extra effort/time for me to do it like a right-handed person, and even though I change it around, ITS THE SAME THING. She still marked me off on tests.
4. Folding shirts the uber way.
stroke order is very important in Kanji cuz same character different order different word
Yoshi31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 04:17   Link #4
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
This topic came to my mind because I was having trouble folding that t-shirt in the "new way to folding t-shirts" thread, but then I change hands and it was done!

So this is to discuss problems you have if you are left handed in this right-handed world.

The main problem I have is using somebody else's computer, Im already used to my left handed mouse .

also is difficult to write when you are next to someone because you always end up colliding elbows, I always get send to the left corner of the table

The other huge problem I had was when writing kanji, because the horizontal traces are done left to right. My kanjis always look awful.

Mantidor

Look to the good side. Scientists say that whichever hand you use is controlled by the other side of the brain. So THEREFORE: All you lefthanded people are in your RIGHT MIND!
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 05:14   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

I'm left handed. Only inconveninces I have is bumping elbows at a restaurant or something.

I use my right hand for specific things. Right hand on the mouse, play guitar right handed, etc.

Left hand for writing, eating and such.

Maybe it's my messed up brain, but does any other lefty screw up left and right a lot? I have to think about it sometimes. If someone says "left", my thought process is: Most people are right handed, their left hand isn't the one they write with, they are talking about the hand you don't write with. That ends up being my right hand, not my left. Oops, I just took a wrong turn.

I guess I think of it in terms of "the hand you write with" and "the hand you don't write with" for some reason. Probably because that's the main usage mentioned when talking about someone being right or left handed.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 07:23   Link #6
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
the only problem i had as a left handed is that when i sit in a long exam it's hard to put my hand on the table since that most of the small tables in the university lecture hall setting are on the right side (you know the small table that you could slide from the side upwards then downward, sorry i don't know what it is in english) but i got over that problem after a couple of exams
Old 2004-05-04, 08:54   Link #7
Bedlam
Delphic Babel

those damn pen and pencil smudges.
Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 09:03   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Maybe it's just me, but I think left handed people are kinda cool, specially in baseballs and other sports. They just stand out more than regular people.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-05-04 at 09:23.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 09:38   Link #9
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Maybe it's just me, but I think left handed people are kinda cool, specially in baseballs and other sports. They just stand out more than regular people.
Most left-handed people might most likely become more or less ambidexterous since there are a lot of things that you need to use with your right hand for some reason...
Old 2004-05-04, 09:40   Link #10
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam
those damn pen and pencil smudges.
hai hai. those pencil smudges especially. since we all mostly write left to right, our left hand will glide over our newly written words and smudge up everything. very annoying... i fix that problem by putting up a sheet of paper over what I've written and slide it down as I continue to write. It's bothersome but at least it allows me to write more neatly.

but i like the fact that i am left-handed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Most left-handed people might most likely become more or less ambidexterous since there are a lot of things that you need to use with your right hand for some reason...
Unless they are being forced to use their right hand at a young age, I don't think left-handed people are more likely to be ambidextereous than right-handed people. It's asian tradition to use your right hand and many parents (still to this day) force their kids to write with their right hand. That's why my cousin writes and eats right handed but throws a ball with her left. It's not too natural and I don't think it should be done because I believe it stunts a person's natural ability.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 10:53   Link #11
Secca
nya`
*Artist

what about playing guitar? do you guys have problem with that as a left handed, or is there a guitar made for left handed people?
Old 2004-05-04, 11:11   Link #12
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I have the smudge problem too! but I always write with a pen instead of a pencil, so the smudge is even worse, in the paper is incorrigible and in your hand you end up with a large spot of ink.

Here some time ago it was also considered something bad, my grandfather (who was schizophrenic btw) tie with a rope and a piece of wood my aunt's left hand to force her to write with the left she now writes with the left. IMO forcing someone to write with his wrong hand makes the person to be very clumpsy with writting and other things, is like wasting the potencial of this person.

I also have problem with origami models and with some rulers (specially T rulers).

anyway Im very proud of being a left handed
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 12:20   Link #13
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
what about playing guitar? do you guys have problem with that as a left handed, or is there a guitar made for left handed people?
There are lefty guitars. An alternative would be to just string the guitar left handed like Jimi Hendrix.

I learned to play right handed. I think the agility in my left hand makes forming chords and fingering much easier than if I tried to use my right hand. I can't imagine right handed people do it with their left hand while their more dextrous hand simply stums up and down.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 12:54   Link #14
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

lefthanders are often found among the highest ranks of artists and scientists, far out of proportion to our numbers in the population at large. Lefthanders in school tend to be both bright and unconventional, so take your lefthand as a gift and not as a deviation to be cured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
hai hai. those pencil smudges especially. since we all mostly write left to right, our left hand will glide over our newly written words and smudge up everything. very annoying... i fix that problem by putting up a sheet of paper over what I've written and slide it down as I continue to write. It's bothersome but at least it allows me to write more neatly.

but i like the fact that i am left-handed...
The only real problems that I have found with a lefthanded child is that hey are likely to encounter in school revolve around learning to write. This is not a problem with lefthandedness, but simply due to the fact that most teachers (like me) are righthanded and have no clue how to teach a lefthanded child to write longhand properly. The best way to do it (from what i've been taught to teach! it works some of the time) is to hold the tablet tilted 90-degrees to the right -- place it such that the top of the tablet is on the child's right side, completely tilted. The child then writes "down" toward their body, conveniently keeping their hand from smudging the ink or pencil as they do so. Problems will still crop up as it is very difficult to find lefthanded desks in most schools and this causes a southpaw child's arm to cramp up painfully after writing for any length of time. : ) Basically, I don't freak out too much if my students hooks his or her hand while writing. Penmanship is after all a product-oriented art: as long as the result is clear and legible, you don't get points for form.

dragonz20 I like your idea!!! I'll try it next time

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-05-04 at 19:08.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 19:05   Link #15
penny_wise
IM AM GOING TO SLEEP !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor

i can write with both hands properly when i use my left hand i just try not to touch the paper and now im used to it. and at school the kids think i am special sine i can write with both. i like that
penny_wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 19:08   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Is it ok if just post ?

That is just too amazing.
Old 2004-05-04, 19:10   Link #17
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
wow there's lots of people on this forum that are left handed. I too suffered the pain of left handedness (yes I just created that word) When I learn to play the violin I had to learn it the right handed way (my mother made me) or writing (again my mother made me) but thanks to her I'm now ambidixterous (can't spell gomen) so now I can cut, write, draw, play violin with both hands! well at about 10 I rebel, and started to use my "right hand" (which is the left) all the time but I can still switch back and forth whenever I please, and no don't ask me about the naughty stuff either
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 19:16   Link #18
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
I type on the keyboard with both hands, I wish someone would give me credit for that.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 19:16   Link #19
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Hi. My name is Jojo... and I'm left-handed.

Lol Mantidore that sound like a Alcoolic association session

Its more like I can use both hands easely. ^^

Problems..?? Eating ,wrighting next to somebody.. thats about it. The other stuff, I can get used to it.

I ofteny switch hands.. for diffrent tasks like fwap-fwap-in <__~ If that dosen't get this discusion somewhere then what ^^
Old 2004-05-04, 19:56   Link #20
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Hi. My name is Jojo... and I'm left-handed.

Lol Mantidore that sound like a Alcoolic association session

Its more like I can use both hands easely. ^^

Problems..?? Eating ,wrighting next to somebody.. thats about it. The other stuff, I can get used to it.

I ofteny switch hands.. for diffrent tasks like fwap-fwap-in <__~ If that dosen't get this discusion somewhere then what ^^
HI Jojo....*everyone say HI* Welcome to Lefty Anonymous Please say your full sn.

Now, does it bother you that you often switch hands? please explain to the group what fwap-fwap-in is?
*you have problems eating to much? or not enough?
*writing next to somebody? hmmm.... anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-05-04 at 20:08.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote