AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-08-12, 16:03   Link #3401
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Well, going by a few posts on 4chan, there is no episode tonight.

God damn it, I hate it when this happens. You wait ALL DAY, and then the episode doesn't air. This is bullshit!
AGE had one episode delayed, Eureka 7:AO had 3 delayed ;;
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 09:38   Link #3402
Zeydra
A random passerby

I only just realised something. It's probably old and probably already been spotted, but the Vagans home is called Second Moon.
Spoiler for Episode 43 onwards:
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 13:21   Link #3403
FalsePrime

Well over the last two days I've watched AGE 1-24 so I can finally say something about it. Granted I don't know if anyone will agree with me.

To be brutally honest it's awful so I will just it in bullet point.

Flit - Worst Gundam Lead ever. Yes I would take Shinn over this guy. He has the the single worst transition to newbie to skilled. The Space Magic in this show was not handled remotely well and the development of Flit before he gets it's is frankly terrible.

Emily - Worst character in Gundam ever. No seriously I've never hated a Gundam character as much as I do child Emily.

AGE - 1 - Boring Lead and how it just appears when Flit needs it borders on Shinning/God levels of Dumb accpet with out the cavet that it's meant to be a joke/funny.

Next Gen.

Asemu - Infinitly more likeable then his father. I don't like him as a character but neither do I hate him, want to see how he transitions.

Zeheart - Actually do like this character and the relationship between him and Asemu is the single best thing this show has had to offer.

Romary - Better then Emily by a country mile but kinda annoying.

Woolf - Best character from the first gen, best character from the second Gen and the G Bouncer is probably the coolest looking suit in the show. Wish he was from a different show or was the lead.

AGE -2 - Better then Age-1 but still the wing binders are terrible.

So overall I'm down on it. I do believe that Flit section is the worst Gundam series yet, but I would place Asemu's arc so far over both X and SEED Destiny.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 13:57   Link #3404
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Well over the last two days I've watched AGE 1-24 so I can finally say something about it. Granted I don't know if anyone will agree with me.

To be brutally honest it's awful so I will just it in bullet point.

Flit - Worst Gundam Lead ever. Yes I would take Shinn over this guy. He has the the single worst transition to newbie to skilled. The Space Magic in this show was not handled remotely well and the development of Flit before he gets it's is frankly terrible.
Huh? Flit took 15 episodes to develop his piloting skill, he didn't just become godly out of nowhere

Quote:
Emily - Worst character in Gundam ever. No seriously I've never hated a Gundam character as much as I do child Emily.
Why is she the worst character in Gundam ever? Why do you hate her? All she did was stand by her friend Flit and support him, hell she was actually useful in the last battle and she knew when to give Flit space when he was mourning Yurin...
Quote:
AGE - 1 - Boring Lead and how it just appears when Flit needs it borders on Shinning/God levels of Dumb accpet with out the cavet that it's meant to be a joke/funny.
Can you provide examples of where AGE comes close to G Gundam? Because I never got that impression and it's the first time I actually hear anything like that...

Quote:
Next Gen.

Asemu - Infinitly more likeable then his father. I don't like him as a character but neither do I hate him, want to see how he transitions.
I disagree completely, Asemu is an entitled brat with a chip on his shoulder and daddy issues. Flit was infinitely more likeable than Asemu.
Quote:
Zeheart - Actually do like this character and the relationship between him and Asemu is the single best thing this show has had to offer.
really? because this one of the dumbest relationships in AGE. it boils down to both of them shouting each other's name and talking about not being true to themselves and stupid crap like that...
Quote:
Romary - Better then Emily by a country mile but kinda annoying.
LOL! At least Emily was useful in Gen 1, helping with medical support. Romary does absolutely nothing except something really really stupid, which I won't go into in case you haven't watched that far yet.
Quote:
Woolf - Best character from the first gen, best character from the second Gen and the G Bouncer is probably the coolest looking suit in the show. Wish he was from a different show or was the lead.
no arguments there.
Quote:
AGE -2 - Better then Age-1 but still the wing binders are terrible.

So overall I'm down on it. I do believe that Flit section is the worst Gundam series yet, but I would place Asemu's arc so far over both X and SEED Destiny.
Actually Flit's section isn't that bad if you take out the Fardain arc, the's the only thing that holds it back.
Old 2012-08-13, 15:40   Link #3405
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Huh? Flit took 15 episodes to develop his piloting skill, he didn't just become godly out of nowhere
Not really, he was a pretty shitty pilot until OMG X-ROUNDER POWERS
Old 2012-08-13, 17:06   Link #3406
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post

Why is she the worst character in Gundam ever? Why do you hate her? All she did was stand by her friend Flit and support him, hell she was actually useful in the last battle and she knew when to give Flit space when he was mourning Yurin...

Can you provide examples of where AGE comes close to G Gundam? Because I never got that impression and it's the first time I actually hear anything like that...

I disagree completely, Asemu is an entitled brat with a chip on his shoulder and daddy issues. Flit was infinitely more likeable than Asemu.

really? because this one of the dumbest relationships in AGE. it boils down to both of them shouting each other's name and talking about not being true to themselves and stupid crap like that...

LOL! At least Emily was useful in Gen 1, helping with medical support. Romary does absolutely nothing except something really really stupid, which I won't go into in case you haven't watched that far yet.

no arguments there.

Actually Flit's section isn't that bad if you take out the Fardain arc, the's the only thing that holds it back.
At least for me he didn't really increase in skill in those 15 eps. For the most part he was static and overall a very lacking pilot. At no point did I feel he was getting better or that he was actually more skilled then Woolf or anyone for the the most part. In every show that comes before AGE regardless of my hate for certain characters I've never really felt that any of them were untalented or that they needed their Hax upgrades for them to be truly dangerous/deadly enemy.

Flit is the very first character I've felt that way with.

I won't go into spoilers for Emily. However her personality was complete garbage, she isn't Flit's Girlfriend or wife and I don't give a damn what she wants and the amount of whining she did made me really hate her. I will go into more direct reasons in a spoiler thread.

As for G Gundam, I will do one that isn't to much of spoiler. In the forest during the 2 week retreat. This was probably the most glaring case of his Gundam showing up.

Also, it's all opinion so everyone can disagree with me and I don't mind. I also agree that Asemu has a chip and can be alittle annoying but at least he has charm and personality that at least in my opinion, his father completely lacked.

Also I disagreee, Zeheart has his issues and isn't a perfect character but he is the first one that I've honestly liked since Woolf. As far as the relatioship with Asemu I like the idea and where it could possibly lead as opposed to were it is right now.

Lastly I remember Emily helping one person in the First Arc, and that doesn't make up for all the times she cried over what she wanted Flit to do, I hate little girls in Anime and Emily is quite possibly the worst I've ever forced myself to endure.

Fardian arc?? For some reason I do not recognize it by name. Still I disagree if for no other reason I just don't buy into Flit as a lead. I don't feel any connection to him as a skilled pilot, I don't give a damn about his relationships with Emily/Yurnin nor do I care for excuses that both he and Grodek made, but that is getting into Spoilers so I will leave it at that.
Old 2012-08-13, 18:25   Link #3407
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
At least for me he didn't really increase in skill in those 15 eps. For the most part he was static and overall a very lacking pilot. At no point did I feel he was getting better or that he was actually more skilled then Woolf or anyone for the the most part. In every show that comes before AGE regardless of my hate for certain characters I've never really felt that any of them were untalented or that they needed their Hax upgrades for them to be truly dangerous/deadly enemy.

Flit is the very first character I've felt that way with.

I won't go into spoilers for Emily. However her personality was complete garbage, she isn't Flit's Girlfriend or wife and I don't give a damn what she wants and the amount of whining she did made me really hate her. I will go into more direct reasons in a spoiler thread.

As for G Gundam, I will do one that isn't to much of spoiler. In the forest during the 2 week retreat. This was probably the most glaring case of his Gundam showing up.

Also, it's all opinion so everyone can disagree with me and I don't mind. I also agree that Asemu has a chip and can be alittle annoying but at least he has charm and personality that at least in my opinion, his father completely lacked.

Also I disagreee, Zeheart has his issues and isn't a perfect character but he is the first one that I've honestly liked since Woolf. As far as the relatioship with Asemu I like the idea and where it could possibly lead as opposed to were it is right now.

Lastly I remember Emily helping one person in the First Arc, and that doesn't make up for all the times she cried over what she wanted Flit to do, I hate little girls in Anime and Emily is quite possibly the worst I've ever forced myself to endure.

Fardian arc?? For some reason I do not recognize it by name. Still I disagree if for no other reason I just don't buy into Flit as a lead. I don't feel any connection to him as a skilled pilot, I don't give a damn about his relationships with Emily/Yurnin nor do I care for excuses that both he and Grodek made, but that is getting into Spoilers so I will leave it at that.
You and I might have more in common than we realize....
Old 2012-08-13, 18:33   Link #3408
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Atleast FalsePrime gave it 24 episodes. That's more than other AGE haters can say.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 18:39   Link #3409
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Atleast FalsePrime gave it 24 episodes. That's more than other AGE haters can say.
I will finish it.

Not going to hate on something with out giving it a chance to defend itself. Plus as I said I do enjoy Zeheart.

My issue is what little I've seen even if I do think AGE -2 is better then AGE-1 I gunna walk face first into AGE-3 which seems to be everything all the things I hate about Gundam.

Still I hope for the best. The show hasn't been all bad and I've seen worse Mecha (King Gainer and Gravion Zwei being the two biggies in my mind) and way, way worse Anime in general. Right now I don't even rate it as the pure worst Gundam so there is that at least.

Edit: Episode 26 is probably the highlight of AGE. Up to 30 and I will say that while it in no way redeems Flit's character in my eyes, the fac that he flashes before even the computer can confirm it was the most touching moment he has had through the entire series.

Woolf, I think is probably in my top 5 characters from all of Gundam. Granted I don't think AGE as a whole will get much higher then Destiny on my personal list, but still Woolf and Zeheart in AGE-2 are worth the pain that is the rest of the show.

Last edited by FalsePrime; 2012-08-13 at 21:46.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:46   Link #3410
webkid94
*Author

Quote:
Still I hope for the best. The show hasn't been all bad and I've seen worse Mecha (King Gainer and Gravion Zwei being the two biggies in my mind) and way, way worse Anime in general. Right now I don't even rate it as the pure worst Gundam so there is that at least.
Yeah I feel that AGE, even at it's lows, is still miles better than DESTINYYY *Ringo from Penguindrum voice*, and still better than that awful Gundam 00 movie. Sure it stumbles more often that it should but I have seen much worse from this franchise.

I've come to expect that there will be arcs that have little importance but still take up time (Fardain), I've come to expect a bunch of characters dying after only one episode, I've come to expect the obvious death flags and I've come to expect all of the other Gundam tropes by now. Woolf, Grodek, Yurin, Flit and Zeheart are all well developed characters in their own right. So far, I'm leaning on giving AGE a 6/10 which isn't really that bad, but not a good score either. Not bad, not good is the best short review I can give to this show.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 14:56   Link #3411
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Honestly this series is about middle of the road mecha genre-wise, yes there are mecha anime worse than AGE.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 15:08   Link #3412
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Honestly this series is about middle of the road mecha genre-wise, yes there are mecha anime worse than AGE.
Can't agree on it being middle of the road, I do think it's rather poor overall.

I do however think that you can do much, much worse. Then again some of the shows I hated the most are some of the most beloved/classiscs to others so my taste in the Genre is really at odds with alot of people.
Old 2012-08-15, 16:52   Link #3413
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post

As much as Gundam AGE has had some problems with handling character motivations and having them make 100% sense in context (probably the current arcs overriding flaw) it's still actually been a pretty interesting show throughout and is actually trying to construct an overall narrative. That's far FAR more than I can say for a lot of mecha shows (Star Driver, Guilty Crown, Rinne no Lagrange, Muv-Luv) of late. It's kind of unfortunate, but if Gundam AGE ends up straight mediocre in the end I'll probably still end up considering it a good 2010's TV mecha entry if only because of the totally lacklustre competition on the TV mecha anime front.

Right now I'd place Age in about the same category as Eureka Seven AO Lots of interesting ideas, hit or miss execution of them with some characters clearly being given more thought in their development than others.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-08-15 at 17:10.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 22:54   Link #3414
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
As much as Gundam AGE has had some problems with handling character motivations and having them make 100% sense in context (probably the current arcs overriding flaw) it's still actually been a pretty interesting show throughout and is actually trying to construct an overall narrative. That's far FAR more than I can say for a lot of mecha shows (Star Driver, Guilty Crown, Rinne no Lagrange, Muv-Luv) of late.
Wouldn't really agree there, on the motivations part, some writing in AGE is so dumbed down it doesn't make sense, i dont know if it was intended so kids could understand or if the script itself plain out sucks.

i do agree with the Muv-Luv part, but if you read the VN's you'd know the anime isnt going to be like Blue Gender where they encountered Blue all the time, sad enough.

Quote:
It's kind of unfortunate, but if Gundam AGE ends up straight mediocre in the end I'll probably still end up considering it a good 2010's TV mecha entry if only because of the totally lacklustre competition on the TV mecha anime front.
Age is already below Mediocre in both viewings, DVD/BD sales and model kit sales.
It has extremely poor viewings, dvd/sales ratings and the quality of the actual mecha battles vary from toddler quality to great quality within two episodes or so.
Oh and don't forget the random strikes of QUALITY in Gen-1

Quote:
Right now I'd place Age in about the same category as Eureka Seven AO Lots of interesting ideas, hit or miss execution of them with some characters clearly being given more thought in their development than others.
I disagree, E7:Ao seems to have the story thought out. Character development with twists thrown in that actually surprises the viewers (and makes sense). Hidden messages, Sublime hints to E7 aswell.

Age has none of those
Old 2012-08-15, 23:48   Link #3415
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Wouldn't really agree there, on the motivations part, some writing in AGE is so dumbed down it doesn't make sense, i dont know if it was intended so kids could understand or if the script itself plain out sucks.
Well I'll just say at least it feels like AGE actually has a script, I can't really say I felt the same for any of the above by this point.

Quote:
i do agree with the Muv-Luv part, but if you read the VN's you'd know the anime isnt going to be like Blue Gender where they encountered Blue all the time, sad enough.
Man they all might as well be in a similar boat right now as far as I'm concerned, but Muv-Luv has more time to sort things out...at least one would imagine. That said it continues to look like you're really just still centered in on AGE to me more than anything, which is why I find your position kind of hard to relate to. Can't shake this feeling that you just seem to have a bone to pick with AGE here and it's coloring your arguments.

Quote:
Age is already below Mediocre in both viewings, DVD/BD sales and model kit sales.
It has extremely poor viewings, dvd/sales ratings and the quality of the actual mecha battles vary from toddler quality to great quality within two episodes or so.
Oh and don't forget the random strikes of QUALITY in Gen-1
I'm talking about this from a personal interest level, I couldn't honestly care less how well it's selling in Japan or what other people think about it. Please stop beating this dead horse. I repeat sales and ratings mean absolutely nothing to how I perceive mecha anime throughout the decades to be.

Quote:
I disagree, E7:Ao seems to have the story thought out. Character development with twists thrown in that actually surprises the viewers (and makes sense). Hidden messages, Sublime hints to E7 aswell.

Age has none of those
Well if you want to be arbitrary about it you're entitled to your opinion. I see no further point in continuing any discussion about this show with you.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 00:23   Link #3416
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Man they all might as well be in a similar boat right now as far as I'm concerned, but Muv-Luv has more time to sort things out...at least one would imagine. That said it continues to look like you're really just still centered in on AGE to me more than anything, which is why I find your position kind of hard to relate to. Can't shake this feeling that you just seem to have a bone to pick with AGE here and it's coloring your arguments.
I don't have a bone to pick with AGE, and of course the discussions in the AGE threads should be around AGE and not other shows!

Personally i enjoy AGE, but at the same time, as i'm sure ive said before, i'm not going to disregard it's many flaws and i enjoy discussing both the ups and downs of the show.

The reason i reply to most of your posts is because you have a very strong opinion and i'd like to know how you reason, but at the same time you take anyone discussing AGE's flaws as some kind of personal attack, which they are not, and not to mention you are very quick to throw out the " you are a flamer " card as soon as someone disagrees with you.

While Muv-Luv has time to build up it's story, from the VN's, it's alot of peacetime then shit hits the fan with BETA's destroying the calm days, then they head back to their hives for x amount of time, so i have high hopes for that show.

The first and second episodes are pretty misleading if you havent read the VN's, it gives off the wrong impressions to a first time viewer.
Old 2012-08-23, 01:39   Link #3417
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

AGE is going to have 49 episodes I was hoping 50, but oh well. Wonder if it will end here or will there be a movie?

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 01:43   Link #3418
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

A movie's unlikely at this point. Those don't happen often in Gundam as it is, and unlike U.C. and 00, AGE just isn't successful enough to warrant one.

Sunrise can feel free to prove me wrong, though.
Old 2012-08-23, 02:18   Link #3419
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Lest we get confirmation that the war was changed from 100 to 70, I'll continue to think that something is amiss. Be it a movie, or in the video game, or a manga, going from the episode translations, the story doesn't seem like it's finished.
Old 2012-08-25, 20:44   Link #3420
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So Gundam wiki has an article on a new EXA-LOG Vagan MS. Not sure where that info came from, but it appears that part of it is from the AGE PSP game.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Wiegel