AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-08-10, 13:43   Link #41
lelangir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
thought I recognized one of the Rosenberg brothers.

I see your video and raise you a Andreas Oberg

I've only seen a few videos of this guy which were very good. I'll have to buy a CD or two soon!
lelangir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 14:34   Link #42
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaguer View Post
I like to learn how to play guitar. For starters, what advice could you give?
Look for a guitar that is suitable for you. Check the neck size/shape and feel if it is comfortable in you hands, if you compress the strings, also make sure to check the weight. Most important bit is, to try the guitar out, and don't blindly order something from the internet.
To check the guitar, memorise the following chords, open E, A, C, D, G and the Barre F and B. If you cannot bar the F chord, move up 2 frets and play the barred G chord, same with the barred B, move up one fret and play the C.
To start off, get somemone to show you the basics, a friend or take couple hours of lessons.

Code:
                Open
   E       A        C        G        D   

e--0--  e--0--   e--0--   e--3--   e--2--
B--0--  B--2--   B--1--   B-(3)-   B--3--
G--1--  G--2--   G--0--   G--0--   G--2--
D--2--  D--2--   D--2--   D--0--   D--0--
A--2--  A--0--   A--3--   A--2--   A-----
E--0--  E-----   E-(3)-   E--3--   E-----

Bar
   F       B        G      C

e--1--  e--2--   e--3--   e--3--
B--1--  B--4--   B--3--   B--5--
G--2--  G--4--   G--4--   G--5--
D--3--  D--4--   D--5--   D--5--
A--3--  A--2--   A--5--   A--3--
E--1--  E-----   E--3--   E--3--
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 19:15   Link #43
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

D chords suck ):<
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 20:40   Link #44
Sides

Get a guitar magazine, most of them have good transcripts in it, with guides on how to play it and description of techniques used, plus some even comes with backing track CDs or even video lessons, for some riffs.
Other than that, get folks together and do a jam, best way to play guitar, or any other instrument, is to feel the music.
Old 2009-12-04, 22:19   Link #45
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Learning the guitar has been a bit of a difficult experience for me: it's always harder to find left-handed anything, and guitar instructors are no exception. As a result, what I know is all self-taught, which means I'm bad. I've resolved myself to practicing an hour a day going forward, as I'd really like to get decent enough to just jam and start setting some of the poetry I write to music and see where that goes.

As for pro guitarists I like...

Matthew Scannell of Vertical Horizon is really something. While the overall musicianship of the four-piece band is evident in their recordings, Scannell really holds back a lot in the studio. When you go see VH live, however, he permits himself to cut loose, and the man is a beast. He can pull out some speed for sure, but he tends to eschew that in favor of texturing the song. Even his longest solos remain very firmly grounded in the body of the rest of the song--while they're always different, you could walk in halfway into one and recognize the song.

Robert Johnson, the legendary Blues artist to whom modern music owes so much. The man rumored to have had his guitar tuned by a spirit of the Earth at the crossroads of his destiny is still widely discussed among Blues and rock guitarists to this day, and his work has been prolifically covered...but never quite matched. Give his 1936-37 recordings a listen and remember that it's just Robert sitting on a stool with one guitar, the music preserved exactly as he played it.

Eric Johnson is also a truly excellent guitarist, and I've had the privilege of seeing him live three times. I used to listen to his 1986 release, Tones, a good deal as a kid, still do years later. It never ceases to amaze me how, despite the recognition he has amongst guitarists themselves, it seems like nobody has ever heard of him. His best known number is probably "Cliffs of Dover", but "Bristol Shore", "Trademark" and "Soulful Terrain" are all worth a listen.

Joe Bonamassa is very talented, though unfortunately as his style has matured and become more unique, he's been put under pressure to rein in his 'guitar hero antics', which leads to his recent releases being all on the slower side of the Blues...while it's all quite good from a sheer technical evaluation, it is rather samey. Having seen the guy live twice very early in his career, I can vouch for the fact that he was a prodigiously talented kid, and I hope he shakes off the mantle of mellowness soon, because I'd love to see what happens when his incredible potential is focused through the lens of all the experience he has gained over the years.

John Mayer, while certainly better known for his urban pop music, has some very real chops that he likes to show off in concert or on the John Mayer Trio record Try! If you haven't listened to that record from start to finish yet, I really advise it. He's got a Hendrix cover ("Wait Until Tomorrow"), more fleshed out versions of two songs he'd done before ("Daughters" and "Something's Missing"), and even the original visions of what became two of the songs on his Continuum album ("Vultures" and "Gravity"), along with the rest of the record, which is comprised of stuff unique to that recording.

and also

Rodrigo Sanchez, the lead in the acoustic duo of Rodrigo y Gabriela, whom I am ashamed to admit I was unaware of until their 2006 self-titled release. Both of them are talented guitar players and amidst the clamoring would-be heirs to the Flamenco guitar tradition, a same-sounding rabble of people with fast but unfeeling fingers, they rise above. Rodrigo, however, by virtue of playing the lead parts, has simply had more opportunity to impress me with sheer guitar skill--part of Gabriela Quintero's job as rhythm is percussive playing, so she's not really at liberty to dance across the strings. Don't worry though, Rodrigo does that masterfully enough for both of them. If you want to get a good sense of what Rodrigo is like, listen to the song "Tamacun" off the eponymous 2006 record, though some of you might prefer the duo's covers on that same album, very impressive versions of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and Metallica's "Orion" that actually bring something unique to the songs.

I hope at least one person finds a new guitarist they enjoy from this list. =)
Old 2010-02-23, 18:44   Link #46
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Guys.... I know this will sound kind of lame so don't laugh at me plz.... but... why is that some guitars have 5 strings and some 6?..... I mean... if I wanna play a song that requires 6 strings in my 5 string guitar i am screwed? xD
Moonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 20:36   Link #47
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Extra capability. It lets you hit more notes without retuning, same as a 5/6 string bass. Hell you can get some crazy setups if you look!

You can drop tune and stuff like that though.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 22:22   Link #48
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I've never seen a 5-string guitar, short of those you would call a "banjo"...

6-string guitars are standard, while 7-string guitars gives an extra lower octave with the B-string...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 17:23   Link #49
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I've seen one once or twice, think they were custom models but what you gonna do, I think he might have seen a 5 string bass though as they're relatively common
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 12:54   Link #50
ShapetheSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post

Joe Bonamassa is very talented, though unfortunately as his style has matured and become more unique, he's been put under pressure to rein in his 'guitar hero antics', which leads to his recent releases being all on the slower side of the Blues...while it's all quite good from a sheer technical evaluation, it is rather samey. Having seen the guy live twice very early in his career, I can vouch for the fact that he was a prodigiously talented kid, and I hope he shakes off the mantle of mellowness soon, because I'd love to see what happens when his incredible potential is focused through the lens of all the experience he has gained over the years.=)
I'm curious as to how his stuff with Glenn Hughes will sound. Okay, I'm sure it will sound like Deep Purple hahaha...after all it seems most of the songs will have a distorted Hammond in it, and I'd be very surprised if Bonamassa could do decent Funkrock.
Btw, being self-taught doesn't have to mean you're bad. Except of course you consider Joe Satriani-level good and anything below bad...
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 10:32   Link #51
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Hi guys!~ It's me again~ Just wanted to tell you taht I'm still playing and looking for a good electric guitar. I was listening to some opinions from friends and I just wonder which type of guitar to get. I read that the most versatile are Stratocaster's ones (mostly fender) but some ppl say that an Ibanez would be good for me because of my music interests. The music I like is mostly anime ones, let's say haruka kanata (or everything from asian kungfu generation), butterfly (amazing digimon first op), I algo like Queen (the only Non-anime music i use to listen to), pegasus phantasy, K-on, etc. So, which type of guitar do you think it would be better for me to get? ( I was thinking in Ibanez cause they use to have 2 single coils and 1 humbucker or a strato cause ppl say they are versatile... but... I'm asking ehre cause im not really sure and my guitar level is not high enough to go and play something I like at the music store to see if that's the sound.... I mean... I'd love to play butterfly but... as they say.. "Mada mada..." :P...
I wold reaaaaally like some opinions on this, plz ^^.
Thanks !
Moonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 19:34   Link #52
ShapetheSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonito View Post
Hi guys!~ It's me again~ Just wanted to tell you taht I'm still playing and looking for a good electric guitar. I was listening to some opinions from friends and I just wonder which type of guitar to get. I read that the most versatile are Stratocaster's ones (mostly fender) but some ppl say that an Ibanez would be good for me because of my music interests. The music I like is mostly anime ones, let's say haruka kanata (or everything from asian kungfu generation), butterfly (amazing digimon first op), I algo like Queen (the only Non-anime music i use to listen to), pegasus phantasy, K-on, etc. So, which type of guitar do you think it would be better for me to get? ( I was thinking in Ibanez cause they use to have 2 single coils and 1 humbucker or a strato cause ppl say they are versatile... but... I'm asking ehre cause im not really sure and my guitar level is not high enough to go and play something I like at the music store to see if that's the sound.... I mean... I'd love to play butterfly but... as they say.. "Mada mada..." :P...
I wold reaaaaally like some opinions on this, plz ^^.
Thanks !
You actually don't need to be able to play some awesome stuff to see if you'd like a guitar...while there are more than enough people who use the phrase "test out a guitar" to mindlessly jam on it for an hour(!!!), usually it takes less than 5 minutes to *know* whether a guitar is for you or not. Personally, I despise the heavy-shapes of Ibanez (RG series etc.), because playing barre chords on those fretboards hurts me (me!) like hell. The only strats I ever had the opportunity to play on that didn't suck were real Fender ones, but those are not cheap; although I'm sure there are good models out there too >.> I just had bad luck. But there *is* a difference from model to model, and your hands are of course different than mine.
You should really just test them out a bit, even if it's just fretting some powerchord, that usually is enough to see if it kinda "connects". And just go by gut feeling in the end. The guitar itself isn't as essential for a good sound like a good amp anyway...I think it's much more important that you feel it's easy (and fun) to play on it and not have to struggle so much or - even worse - be in pain from playing on the guitar, which can happen. Even a cheap guitar can sound very good if you exchange the pickups later on; and guitar types are not as non-versatile as some people seem to think. Heck, I play funk on a Les Paul...>_>
The biggest difference in sound is whether you have a Humbucker or single coil guitar, but even that is not an unbridgeable barrier.
About sound...Modern music tends to either a) use so much distortion that you can't hear the guitars natural sound anyway, or b) be so expertly produced and layered that it's impossible to reproduce that kind of sound in reality with one guitar anyway (which is important to remember for the future :3).
Overall, the only way to decide which guitar is for you is feel it and NO ONE ELSE can tell you what's the right thing for you. It's like with getting a girlfriend :3
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 00:23   Link #53
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

hmmm... i have a fender stratocaster with a squier headstock and a custom net
i currently have a crappy fender frontman 15G as my amp but planning on upgrading soon
i wanted to know what to upgrade to...
so if anyone can reply to me about any good amps i could get
price range from 0 to $500 tube amp preffered

Last edited by [T]ensio[N]; 2010-04-05 at 00:24. Reason: forgot to add some things -w-;;;
[T]ensio[N] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 02:09   Link #54
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I have two electric guitars Gibson SG and Gibson's Les Paul Standard, why? because two of my most favorite guitar players use them :P Gibson SG(Eric Clapton) and Gibson's Les Paul versions (David Howell Evans or A.K.A The Edge) from U2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
D chords suck ):<
Nah i would not say that, D chord is just difficult too use at first, but when you get further you will actually like it very much since it has very beautiful sound too it.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 14:51   Link #55
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]ensio[N] View Post
hmmm... i have a fender stratocaster with a squier headstock and a custom net
i currently have a crappy fender frontman 15G as my amp but planning on upgrading soon
i wanted to know what to upgrade to...
so if anyone can reply to me about any good amps i could get
price range from 0 to $500 tube amp preffered
Depends what you want, sound wise. I would go for a tube, like fender champion 600 or as Epiphone Valve Junior, should cost you something sub $200. But for $500 you can a range of differnent amps, really depends on your taste of sound.

What you mean with fender strat with squier headstock? Unless you replaced the headstock yourself, or someone else replaced it for you, it is a squier and not a fender.
Old 2010-04-05, 15:36   Link #56
Riot Machine
Bassist Christ

Send a message via AIM to Riot Machine Send a message via MSN to Riot Machine
I havea giant B 52 head and cab system

and i had a Jackson RR1 with this finish

but traded for a matt tuck rhoads custom which sounds alot sexier
Riot Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 15:41   Link #57
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I've never seen a 5-string guitar, short of those you would call a "banjo"...

6-string guitars are standard, while 7-string guitars gives an extra lower octave with the B-string...
Iv seen a 5 string guitar, a friend of mine owned one a long time ago :P cant remember the type since it was such a long time ago.
Old 2010-04-05, 16:37   Link #58
Sides

Schecter Celloblaster comes to mind, other than that Zemaitis Macabre were 5 strings. IIRC Keith Richards use to have his telecasters setted up with 5 strings.
Old 2010-04-05, 19:13   Link #59
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Schecter Celloblaster comes to mind, other than that Zemaitis Macabre were 5 strings. IIRC Keith Richards use to have his telecasters setted up with 5 strings.
Zemaitis Macabre is most likely it. Since it looks familiar.
Old 2010-04-05, 22:27   Link #60
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Depends what you want, sound wise. I would go for a tube, like fender champion 600 or as Epiphone Valve Junior, should cost you something sub $200. But for $500 you can a range of differnent amps, really depends on your taste of sound.

What you mean with fender strat with squier headstock? Unless you replaced the headstock yourself, or someone else replaced it for you, it is a squier and not a fender.
well actually my uncle got it off of ebay and it was a fake strat but i changed the pickups and knobs and got it rewired so it works a little better than a normal strat
and the type of amp im looking for is something for a kind of crunchy sound... you know the guitarist matt bellamy from Muse? i want that kind of tone