AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-20, 14:12   Link #1
Y fa fret
I'm cold

Gungrave

What does everyone think of this new production by Madhouse? I watched the first episode and it was kinda iffy, but then I watched the second and it was really different and really better. Seeing how Brandon and Harry get to where they are in the first episode and all.

The action, music and art is pretty good, nothing extraordinary but still good, character design is not bad as well and the story's got me hooked.

I kinda like how Madhouse gives a nod to Trigun in making it seem like this happens on the same planet(it seems like a desert type planet, everyone is gun happy, and there's the bird like steeds with painted eyes), just a lot of time later or something.
Y fa fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 00:26   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I see a Gungrave thread exist once more...Nothing but love for this show so far...People who loves Mafia/Mobster theme will fall in love with Gungrave instantly..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:10   Link #3
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

The first episode was laughable. I love how it turned into a mafia show though. I dread the day Brandon turns into "Beyond the Grave" and dons the cowboy outfit again. After that happens I might just have to stop watching this show.
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:28   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I will gladly watch whatever crap they can throw for atleast 2 episode after this excellent setup..Seriously, how many anime right now can actually match Gungrave's story? very few..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 08:55   Link #5
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
The first episode was laughable. I love how it turned into a mafia show though. I dread the day Brandon turns into "Beyond the Grave" and dons the cowboy outfit again. After that happens I might just have to stop watching this show.
I agree with you, o great Ro....sorry....Mechazawa-san
This show has turned into interesting story from ep 2 up to current ep 7. Love all the mafia's story and can't wait to see how it all turns to be betrayal later on.
Seems like the flashback story (before Brandon Heat turned into Beyond the Grave) is pretty long.
By the way, has anyone played the PS2 game here?
Hao Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 12:36   Link #6
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Asakura
By the way, has anyone played the PS2 game here?
I have, and it's quite fun for an hour... then it loses all playability until you someday once again feel a strong need to blast everything in sight to bits. I own the nice special edition Japanese box for it, mostly because I'm an avid Nightow fan, and I'm collecting anything related to his work.

As for his outfit... c'mon, as if there aren't already a huge amount of ridiculous costumes in anime as it is. Personally, he seems like a slightly modified Brilliant Dynamites Neon.

Anyway, so far, it's great. If there's something that hasn't really been touched on too much in anime, it's mobsters and the mafia. It's a nice change of pace if you ask me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest. *sigh* The second game doesn't come out until January 7th (anime OST on the same day), and I don't even know when the first DVD will be out...

EDIT: WOOT! Correction, the first (R2) DVD will be out on 2004/02/21.

Last edited by Seifer_us; 2003-12-01 at 22:41.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 18:54   Link #7
Snuble07

I must say, Gungrave is by far my favorite new series of this season....
Snuble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 20:16   Link #8
Tboz

Hmmm... what's wrong with Beyond the Grave's outfit? I think its pretty cool.

I don't actually see any resemblances to Trigun besides the fact that they are produced by the same company and that both titles have characters with flashy guns.

Besides the good story and the moderately paced presentation, the thing I like about Gungrave is its music. It reminds me of Cowboy Bebop the way it sets up the atmosphere and blend into the whole show with appropriate use of BGM. The OP is great but the ED is awesome. I think I have found a new favourite in Scoobie Do after listening to this blues rock track.

I think I am going to get it on DVD when it comes out.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 14:03   Link #9
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

A few main noticeable similarities between Trigun and Gungrave:

Same (Original) Character Designer: Yasuhiro Nightow created the Trigun manga, but the character designs for the anime were done by Yoshimatsu Takahiro. Gungrave is his first project as Character Designer for an anime. He also has a large say in the story as I understand it.

Same Script Writer: Yosuke Kuroda (Also wrote some scripts for Excel Saga, oddly enough...)

Same Composer: Tsuneo Imahori. The reason that his music sounds similar to Bebop's is because he was a guitarist for the Seatbelts, the group that did the music with Yoko Kanno for Bebop. He and Kanno are also close friends. Try listening to some of the primarily guitar tracks on the Bebop OST's and you'll notice it's usually him playing. Awesome guitarist, isn't he?

A Returning VA: Onasaka Masaya who was the voice of Vash played Balladbird Lee for a few episodes, but from what I can tell, wasn't able to/didn't want to continue and dropped out.

The Races in Episode 5: They are racing Thomas', the odd creatures used for transportation on the planet Gunsmoke, where Trigun takes place. Also, there are two that are named Michael Stampede and Black Chapel.

and yes... there are lots of guns.

I know most of you don't care about any of that stuff, but there it is anyway, just for future reference for anyone curious.

Last edited by Seifer_us; 2003-12-01 at 03:39.
Old 2003-11-30, 14:54   Link #10
Tboz

Nice info there...

Pardon me as its been a long time since I last watch Trigun. The only thing I can remember are Vash's goofy antics and his "LOVE and PEACE!!" motto. I even have to look up the names of the characters so that I can use them in this post.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember Milly and Meryl riding these Thomas... am I right? Michael Stampede obviously pays homage to Vash the Stampede and Chapel the Evergreen is the name of a villian in Trigun.

You enlightened me... Thanks...
Old 2003-12-01, 14:16   Link #11
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
So there's a 2nd game coming out. I didn't know that. Where can I get some more info on it. Even though the 1st got really repetitive, I still loved it. I have loved this anime since episode 1, and I have really loved the background story of Brandon Heat and Harry McDowell. I agree that this is one of the best shows of the year.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 19:09   Link #12
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I will gladly watch whatever crap they can throw for atleast 2 episode after this excellent setup..Seriously, how many anime right now can actually match Gungrave's story? very few..
I agree with monir,he story of gungrave is great,but i do have one problem with it,same thing that happened in FMA,The first episdoe is in the present,then after that they go back and explain what happend leading up to that point,if it was for a few episode i can get by without a hateful comment towards it,but it looks like in this its gonna go on for a good while.The whole thing about brandon being brought back to life somehow,and taking revenge on harry,while fighting creepy looking subordnates of his,is what interested me in this,but like i said it back in the past.PLEASE hurry it up and go back to he present,so that i wont end this series.
|Aion| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 19:19   Link #13
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Hmm my opinion is that they don't have to go back to the present if you played the games. I already know how the revenge part plays out for the most part. What i didn't know however was how Beyond the Grave aka Brandon Heat was betrayed and the events that lead to his death. I like how it is staying in the past. Although to please fans, they could show some "now" stuff, then go back to the past again.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 19:22   Link #14
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
Yea that would be acceptable,its not that i dont find the leading up to episodes interesting,i just think they shouldnt be carried on as long as they have.
|Aion| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 03:20   Link #15
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

I watched Episode 9 last night. It was okay, but I've been most impressed so far by Episode 8, which was just so heartbreaking. I felt so sorry for everybody in that episode. Except Harry... Jerk...

On a side note: I don't believe info on this sort of thing is requested that often, so I'm not quite sure if it's okay to post it here or if I should post it someplace else, but it kind of... sort of... pertains to Gungrave... a little...

Anyway, there have been two commercials that ran during Gungrave that focused on Young King Hours (the monthy serial that publishes Trigun and Hellsing) and I'm looking for encodes of them (any format). I've tried Shonen Gahosha's website and the Hours' own web site as well to no avail. Anyway, if anyone happens to have any info on them, please fill me in.

(I want the first one they showed with Wolfwood in particular. It's emphasizing his upcoming ***** in the manga... )

* - On the off chance of spoiling it for somebody (yeah, right...). If you don't know what the five letter word is, you need to watch/read more Trigun.

EDIT: Is this against the animesuki forum rules (asking for info on commercials)? I've been here a while now, and I know the rules pretty well, but this was kind of an uncertainty. I wavered a bit before posting, but ultimetely decided that it was probably okay. If I'm wrong, please mods, delete the post.
Old 2003-12-02, 08:16   Link #16
sentinel
Inactive Member

does anybody know how many episodes gungrave have?
sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 08:47   Link #17
Tboz

I really don't mind the wait. We need to know the buildup before the revenge arc takes place. Moreover, the flashbacks are telling us necessary infomation on the background settings. We can know more of Harry's character, his motive for betraying his long time comrade etc. It defines the meaning behind the need for revenge and makes the whole story more meaningful.

Anyway, I feel they are doing just fine with the pace of it all. If they hadn't shown the teaser in ep1 to wet our appetites, some people might have drop the series already.
Old 2003-12-04, 20:46   Link #18
Soten
nomu ;P

Send a message via AIM to Soten
word, so good!
Soten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 04:25   Link #19
Go-lytely

This show is awesome. I'm surprised people are dissing how its gone into flashback mode. Berserk did the same thing and that is one of my favorite shows. It even has the same basic theme of best friends betraying one another in the end. Remember Guts and Griffith? Anyway, Gungrave already has all the elements of a great show, gritty drama, excellent characterization, and a wonderful storyline so far. Its like Goodfellas anime-style.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 17:27   Link #20
Tboz

Spoiler:

Tags
action, crime, drama, science fiction