AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-02-06, 16:01   Link #21
Ral
Idea!

Quote:
Lupin the 3rd (not about the voices but the american placements in the dialog)
I liked the changes. I'd rather here about some things and people I know than Japanese stars from the 70s. I'm sure many people wouldn't know who they were and it wouldn't be as funny for them.
Ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 02:11   Link #22
festosis

wich vampire hunter d are you talkin about??? because in bloodlust the english audio was the original and the dub was in japanese
festosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 09:47   Link #23
Silver_Scorcher

If your looking for good DUBS I think almost anything from ADV films is a good place to start. For the most part, these guys sit down and actually try to do a good job on the DUB, in both accuracy and voice acting. While all American distributors change some of the diologue, you gotta realize that it is necessary, simply because somethings in Japanese don't translate well when you directly translate it into English. Personally my favourite DUBS are....

Noir
RahXephon
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Aside from the lousy southern accents)
Excel Saga
Vandread
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Panic!
Gundam Wing
Gundam 0080
Golden Boy
Cowboy Bebop

DUBS I hate

Rurouni Kenshin OVA's
S-cry-ed (The DUB actors that played Kazuma & Ryuho just ruined it)
Dragonball Z (A very good example of DUBS gone wrong)
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 19:11   Link #24
7thMethuselah

In general I don't like dubs but some that I've seen are actually quite good:

Neon genesis Evangelion : Asuka is awesome in these
Cowboy Bebop : pretty good as well
Gundam Wing : I saw the dubbed version first so I was used to those voices, this might explain why I like it (a bit) better then the jap version

Worst possible dub ever : Ah! My Goddess : Belldandy sounded completely wrong, I just couldn't stand it, she just lost her completely innocent atmospgere with it ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 19:47   Link #25
festosis

don't you mean the Japanese version? don't be rude now
festosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 20:15   Link #26
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Worst possible dub ever : Ah! My Goddess : Belldandy sounded completely wrong, I just couldn't stand it, she just lost her completely innocent atmosphere with it ...
Really? I thought it was great (the OAV at least). I also thought it was a really neat fact that the english actors for Keiichi and Belldandy got married after they worked together on it. Now if you're referring to the movie and the mini-goddess series done by Pioneer, those were recorded with a different cast.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 23:56   Link #27
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Maybe it's just me but the Cowboy Bebop dub didn't seem as fantastic as most everyone says.

And yes, I listened to five seconds of English Alucard speaking, mentally puked, and never came back.

Only dub I watched extensively before was the Tenchi OVA one. They get the mood and "tones" right, but Ryoko's voice doesn't compare to the Japanese one; same for Ayeka. I think Washu, Kagato, and Mihoshi's voices fit pretty well though.
Old 2004-02-18, 00:41   Link #28
Galvatron

Send a message via AIM to Galvatron
Some of my favorite dubs include:

King of Bandits Jing
Rahxephon
FLCL
Abenobashi
Castle in the Sky (and the other Ghibli films disney did)

I'm not sure on Kiddy Grade dub, as only the first volume is out but i think it's promising.

I'm very interested in seeing how the Azumanga dub is done..from the previews i've seen i think it has a chance.
Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 11:41   Link #29
Angel Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonjon
the dub of urusei yatsura that BBC4 did was absolutely brilliant. it proved that anime and copious swearing in mockney accents don't have to be mutually exclusive.

"You're Under Arrest" was a really good dub. It's one of my favorites.

"Ranma 1/2" is good too. I don't like Akane's voice in Japanese. She doesn't sound tough enough if you ask me!

"Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi" is a weird dub. I listened to it for a while and actually found it to be fun. The country accents kinda grow on ya.
(^_^)
Angel Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 16:55   Link #30
Soul Bro Ryu
Your Neighborhood Newtype

Send a message via ICQ to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via AIM to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via MSN to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via Yahoo to Soul Bro Ryu
I like dubs for the most part, but I watch the shows I buy in both languages, so I hear both regardless.

GoldenBoy, Bebop, Trigun, & Mobile Suit Gundam are about my favorite dubs out there, with GTO coming in with an honorable mention.

Video Girl Ai just didn't feel right to me dubbed, since I was so used to my decade old bootleg version before picking up the DVD. Ocean Studios did okay with it, but for the most part they couldn't capture the magic that drew me to VGA in the first place.

The funniest dubs though are hentai dubs. They're so bad they're hilarious. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 18:53   Link #31
kerrisan

Send a message via AIM to kerrisan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I would be surprised if they'd bothered to dub over Pikachu's voice. I mean, what does he/she/it ever say that would need to be translated? Pika!

They didn't! Cowboy Bebeop has an amazing dub. Also, the nature of the show cowboy bebop comes off better in english considering how much that show borrows from western and american culture. Also, i am in LOVE with the Hellsing dub. The first few episodes aren't that great cause the minor roles are played by people who are obviously american trying to be brittish, but it gets better, and alucard is great. FLCL honestly sounds exactly the same in japanese and English because the original director of the japanese version picked out the voice actors for the english version.
kerrisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 03:57   Link #32
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

yes I agree the Hellsing Dub was pretty good as far as dubs go. I did like anderson he was done well, however Alucard's voice in the original is the bets suited voice for a char ever. It was just too perfect. also the did ruin a few lines. Overall there's a few dubs I like and some i can't stand. However this is how i will strike fear into the hearts of all anime fans

NARUTO DUBBED!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!HH!H!H!H!H!H!H!H

Very scary thought.
CrimsonFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 04:03   Link #33
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFury
NARUTO DUBBED!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!HH!H!H!H!H!H!H!H

Very scary thought.
Its only a matter of time before Naruto gets licensed and dubbed with dare I say english voice actors.
Old 2004-02-20, 05:03   Link #34
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

yeah i'll be sure to not hear the dub for that one.
CrimsonFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 07:10   Link #35
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Shinesman and You're Under Arrest (all versions - OVA/TV/Movie) have EXCELLENT dubs. The Japanese director actually used the US dub of the OVA as a basis for what he wanted the Japanese actors to sound like when they made the TV series. Both of these shows were done by Phoenix Sound/Coastal Carolina, which is currently dubbing Miami Guns as well as doing post-sound for Hollywood stuff.

Also good are Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi/El Hazard, and Golden Boy.

Finally, while I prefer the shows themselves subbed, Berserk and Weiß Kreuz both have HYSTERICAL dub outtakes.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 12:48   Link #36
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
Whenever i get a new series on dvd i always check the DUB first seeing how i speak english quite well but very little japanese and i have always thought of anime as more of a visual medium so i don't want to be bothered reading subs if i can avoid it. Still, most of the time i switch to the japanese track after a couple of episodes because of the apparent lack of talent among the american voice actors employed for most dub jobs.

Dubs i have liked so far include FLCL, Super Gals, RahXephon, Noir most of the time, Hellsing, Full Metal Panic and Cowboy Bebop. Im sure there are others that i have seen and enjoyed the dub but these are the ones that stand out the most in my opinion.

ADV has some really good VAs (Monica Rial, Hillary Haag and Luci Christian specifically who i am hoping will stop the azumanga dub from being a total suck fest) who actually care about the characters they are portraying and as a result are able to give excellent performances.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 14:47   Link #37
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
I'll have to agree that subs generally rule over the dubs..but as far as great..or entertaining dubs go...lesse..i'd say:
Cowboy Bebop
Fatal Fury
Blue Sub No.6
Princess Mononoke
Dirty Pair
Gundam Wing
G-Gundam
The Big O
Gundam 08th MS team

But i gotta mention 2 of the worst DUBS ever to hurt my own list....Saint Seiya {aka Knights of the Zodiac} and Hellsing....many people I know like the Hellsing dub b/c it adds the british accent...but i can't forgive ruining arucard's voice and adding in the rougher language for no good reason...and Saint Seiya...damn...that's a travesty what DIC has done...I mean I know they messed up Sailor Moon...but MAN!...rest in peace Cygnus, Seiyya, adn Shiryu!
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 20:16   Link #38
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Read or Die...it was...amazing.
I prefer the ROD dub over the subbed/japanese.
The voices suit them wonderfully, at some parts it can get kind of corny,
but the overall VAing is wonderful.

Spirited Away was also greatly done, I find most Miyazaki films are done
above average.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 21:09   Link #39
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
maybe its just me but i didnt like the dub for cowboy bebop i think that the voice actors for spike and jet didnt fit same with sousuke from full metal panic i just think that they just dont fit.

good dubs
evangelion
blood the last vampire
princess mononoke
gundam wing
spirt away
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 21:46   Link #40
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
About the only dub I can sit through is Slayers TV. Maybe it's the interplay between Lisa Ortiz and Eric Stuart, but it just works. And i can also watch the Japanese version, but on most series I simply can;t watch thewm in English unless there's no other way to see them.

I first watched Tenchi-Muyo! in English for a while, but now I have developed a distinct prefernece for the Japanese actors.

The worst English dub is Cardcaptorsm the English "adaptation" of Card Captor Sakura which removes all the lovely little CLAMP touches that make the show so intiguing.