AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-06-16, 04:53   Link #61
mastapsi

Me and some friends have played a little online (the computer opponent flash version on the first page) and I am looking to get a set so we can more easily play each other (I am not a big fan of online play). http://www.reachmahjong.com/ was mentioned on the first page, and seems legit. I just want to know if any of you know from experience if this is the best place to order a set, or if there is someplace better. I have already looked around locally, but found nothing, and most of the other places I found online were more expensive.

Thanks for the help in advanced.
mastapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 05:40   Link #62
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Hello

I was wondering if anyone on here plays on mahjongtime.com?

Cuz thats where i play mahjong i got into it recently cuz my friend kept telling me to and because the anime Saki got me interested

so yea

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 09:50   Link #63
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastapsi View Post
Me and some friends have played a little online (the computer opponent flash version on the first page) and I am looking to get a set so we can more easily play each other (I am not a big fan of online play). http://www.reachmahjong.com/ was mentioned on the first page, and seems legit. I just want to know if any of you know from experience if this is the best place to order a set, or if there is someplace better. I have already looked around locally, but found nothing, and most of the other places I found online were more expensive.

Thanks for the help in advanced.
If you're going to play, buy the real thing.
It's not that expensive and you'll learn more about it then staring at a screen.
Learn how to "Mohai" deducting the tile by rubbing your fingers when the tile is faced down.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 11:30   Link #64
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
1 & 9 out of each set, and all honors, and extra tile that forms toitsu with any of which

eg. +

Disclaimer: I'm very much unexperienced so if I goofed it please correct me. Thankyou.
The rules and terminology of Japanese mahjong are completely alien to me, but I thought I might as well share a humorous bit of trivia: The winning hand that Cats illustrated above is known in Chinese mahjong as "shi san yao" (I have no idea what that translates into, but a rough guess would be "thirteen ones").

Popular superstition in Singapore, if not in Malaysia and Hong Kong, has it that winning with the above hand — widely considered the ultimate winning hand — is both extremely lucky and unlucky. Lucky because the odds of building such a hand is extremely unlikely; unlucky because, for you to accomplish such a feat, "someone" (from the Great Beyond) must have granted you an unsolicited boon. Everyone at the table is advised to close the game, pack up and go home (and say your prayers) if someone does indeed manage to win this way.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 12:37   Link #65
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Kokushi Musou? (its name in Japanese, thirtheen orphans). Well, certainly it is one of the super duper hands, and not an easy one to get (the closest I've been is tenpai (one tile) from getting it) but it's not exactly near the rarest ones. I'd leave that spot to big four winds, 9 gates or 4 kan's.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 18:28   Link #66
mastapsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
If you're going to play, buy the real thing.
It's not that expensive and you'll learn more about it then staring at a screen.
Learn how to "Mohai" deducting the tile by rubbing your fingers when the tile is faced down.
I AM looking to get the real thing. I was trying to find out if anyone here has had experience buying from that, or other sites, and what site would be the best to buy from. Sorry if that wasn't plain from my post.
Old 2009-06-16, 18:47   Link #67
Rias

Some more fun(?) facts about Kokushi Musou/thirteen orphans/shi san yao:

1. One of the highest hand in all kinds of MJ (since there are many hands in taiwanese/japanese rules that do not exist in other rule sets) It's also easy to be messed up, since your hand will become garbage if someone kan a tile that you need.

2. One of the three most common Yakuman hand. Although I say "common", it's only about 0.043%. The other two is Suuanko (0.049%) and Daisangen (0.039%)

2. Kokushi Musou 国士無双: 国士 refers to the most excellent person in a country, 無双 means that it doesn't have anything equal to its strength. The term was first used by Han Xin. A related hand is 国士無双13面待ち. That means, you have all 13 in your hand, and is having a 13 way wait to from a pair. In some rule set (house rule?), 国士無双13面待ち is a double-yakuman hand.

3.Shi san yao 十三么. Shi san = 13. 么 refers to 1s/9s/word tiles. Thus, 13 1/9/word tiles. Similar idea.

4. Kokushi Musou vs Chankan. Usually, Chankan does not apply to Ankan. However, Kokushi is one of the hands that is exceptional to that rule. That means you can actually win off someone's Ankan with Kokshi.

(-Ankan is when you kan with 4 tiles in your hand.
-Chankan is when someone Kakan a tile that completes you hand, you can take that tile and win with it. That person pays you.
-Kakan is when you have Pon a tile before, and decide to make that into a Kan by adding a tile that you drew)
Old 2009-06-16, 19:37   Link #68
mastapsi

Wait a minute... for some reason, the wrong link copied.

http://www.mahjongmart.com/shop/

That was the link I wanted to ask about. Is that the best place to buy a set from?
Old 2009-06-16, 20:17   Link #69
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Got a small four winds hand on the online mahjong game. My first yakuman!
Old 2009-06-17, 22:09   Link #70
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I've heard all of those stories about the Kokushi before. I think the "unlucky" one might be true...for the person who dealt into it. In one of my earliest 3P games, before I understood how big the hands get, I got a Counted (Kazoe) Yakuman and in the next turn, dealt into a Kokushi while trying to meld a Pei using the Kita move. :O

I've never dealt into a Yakuman accidentally yet, except for that one case which was cheap because I didn't know melding Pei acted like a Chankan. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
Hello

I was wondering if anyone on here plays on mahjongtime.com?

Cuz thats where i play mahjong i got into it recently cuz my friend kept telling me to and because the anime Saki got me interested

so yea
I don't think you'll find many people who use MT in this day and age. I myself haven't used it regularly since early 2007. I only stop by once in a while to show off. :X

Quote:

That was the link I wanted to ask about. Is that the best place to buy a set from?
It is one of the cheapest stores within Google reach, I will say that. http://www.japanese-mahjong.com/ tends to have better sets, although it is pricier.

There is no direct route to a good set, though. You'll need to find an intermediary and a yahoo auctioneer willing to cooperate with one. My sister is in Japan right now, geared up to purchase a good set for me. It's not an easy task!
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 09:55   Link #71
Secca
nya`
*Artist

This been kinda bothering me. Does the player's wind have any purpose beside the order of the play?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 11:22   Link #72
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
This been kinda bothering me. Does the player's wind have any purpose beside the order of the play?
It also determines which wind melds have value and which don't. If you are N and you get a triplet of N tiles, it is worth 1 yaku and you now satisfy the 1 yaku minimum. If you get a triplet of W as N, it is worthless beside minipoint calculations.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 13:17   Link #73
Secca
nya`
*Artist

!!! I see, no wonder sometimes I couldn't Ron eventho I have triplet one of the wind.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:33   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
!!! I see, no wonder sometimes I couldn't Ron eventho I have triplet one of the wind.
Trying to get a game to let me Ron or Tsumo with a revealed hand is even worse though. I've still never found a way to do it even though I know you are supposed to have at least one Yaku in the concealed part of the hand or something for it to let you go out. Usually it just means I don't reveal my hand as it's basically like saying, "Here I don't want to win this, please remove any chance I have of doing so".
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 18:02   Link #75
Osamu

Guys, it's not "1 yaku" or "1 fan". Correct term for Japanese mahjong is han.

eg, Tanyao is a yaku that is worth 1 han.
Osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 03:29   Link #76
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Been playing on the tenhou game. I actually won two games now! Very exciting as before, it was an exercise in losing badly ... a lot.

So what does 9 followed by a character that looks like the chinese word ji (level??) mean. I'm presuming that's the lowest of the lowest? Is it better to be a lower number? Or move up in character rank or something? How does it determine when to move you up?
Old 2009-06-22, 01:37   Link #77
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Tenhou uses the ranking system commonly seen in martial arts and some traditional games. 新人 denotes a rookie player with no rank. The kyu (級) ranking is the lesser of the two main rank systems and is pretty much reserved for beginners only. The lowest rank is 9 kyu, with decreasing numbers signifying higher rank until the final rank of 1 kyu. You can tell the lower ranks apart because they use the Arabic numerals.

The Dan (段) rankings are the opposite, starting from the lowest (1 Dan) to the highest (10 Dan). These ranks are written in kanji.

At the Dan level, you can go both up and down in rank. If you lose too many rate points, you will derank to a maximum of 1 kyu (a de-rank from Shodan). You start off with +200 points as a Shodan, +400 as a Niidan, but +600 as a Sandan. If you lose that many (-30/loss on Shodan, -40/loss on Niidan, -50/loss on Sandan, etc.) and derank once those are lost.

This also starts at the kyu level starting with 3 kyu, but only points and R-stat are lost, not rank itself.

Interestingly, my original account was never at 9 or 8 kyu. I started at 7 kyu because back when I signed up, the lower ranks hadn't been implemented yet.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 22:54   Link #78
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

I am just wondering if there is any decent mahjong PC game around?

I have been playing two mahjong PC games. One is called 3D 麻雀悠遊 and the other is the Touhou mahjong game.

3D 麻雀悠遊 has decent 3D graphics. But the CPU's style is very conservative, with everyone racing to riichi asap regardless of the yaku. It may be realistic but is a bit boring.

Touhou mahjong is pretty good in terms of difficulty and some boss-like characters can really keep you on the edge of your seat. The only failure is that the graphics of the characters are a bit lackluster .

Therefore, I would like to know if there are any other good mahjong games catered for anime fans.

Btw I prefer playing against CPU (since I'm pretty much a newbie) under normal riichi mahjong rules (i.e. non-conventional magical tricks, if exists, should be able to be disabled).

Also, no R-18 stuff please .

Btw this winning hand made my day ! I know it is common for veterans, but this is the first time I got it. Just want to share my joy .
Spoiler:
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 03:52   Link #79
Figucher

Send a message via MSN to Figucher
Quote:

Regarding mahjongmart.com's dragon tile set. Width and height is the same as in any other sets but these are not as thick (12mm instead of regular 16mm). Not a fatal flaw but I have a hunch that the feel is a lot better on other sets.. I don't have any experiences of other sets yet so I can't confirm this

Paint jobs are a bit messy on some tiles, but the tile material seems decent. Also the case (or the tiles? not sure) has a weird odor similar to a solvent or something, but it gets better after some time.

It's a decent set to get you started, but don't expect too much.
Figucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 09:15   Link #80
Battler-kun

I guess i only do know how to play HK-mahjong.
Though i play on Tenhou.net Riichi-mahjong and winning often, i don't know nothing how the score add up.
I have even problems in memorizing all the hands.

For me the more rules a game has the less lucked based it is. That's right but the the beauty lies in a game if it has FEW rules and is still almost only skill-based like Chess or Go.

I am quite lazy, so it is hard for me to learn all the rules etc.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong