AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-06-16, 16:59   Link #1221
Crontica

Bleh. Half of Bakemonogatari's scenes were 78% Talk. I dont see why people like it so much.
Old 2010-06-16, 17:25   Link #1222
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Bleh. Half of Bakemonogatari's scenes were 78% Talk. I dont see why people like it so much.
Just think it as a novel with voices and pictures

GREAT MINDS CAN BEND REALITIES!!
Old 2010-06-16, 18:14   Link #1223
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would have to disagree with the idea that it's trying to rip off Haruhi or Bakemonogatari. It has very little in common with Haruhi besides the fact that Yuri is somewhat similar to her but not very much. And I don't see how it's anything like Bakemonogatari. The style of comedy and the plot is completely different. And whilst I like Bakemonogatari more, in terms of pure comedy Angel Beats made me laugh a lot more and harder too.
Makes me remember episode 1 where everyone was shouting Yuri = Haruhi. You really don't hear it that much anymore these days, so one can assume this assumption is kind of shot down with the direction of the story and the personalities of the characters.

For me, Yuri is way more mature than Haruhi and just a great leader. She doesn't demand people to do things for her or to follow her everywhere. She gives them free choice, which makes her awesome imo. I really like the growth in her personality if you compare it to the novel. And I rly wouldn't call her a comic relief character, she's present in every episode deciding things or learning new stuff about their world.
Old 2010-06-16, 20:03   Link #1224
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, it's mostly superficial similarities between Yuri and Haruhi. Hell, I'd say Yuri has more in common with Kyou than Haruhi. (Aka there really is little to grasp at for that comparison)

That being said, I'd like to think of Angel Beats as a tribute to their past work and also other people's work, and so is best appreciated as such.

The show isn't bad of course but I just feel it hasn't generated anything exceptionally memorable. There's a flash of this potential in episode 10, and it came very close in episode 9. But overall, the show as a whole is just too messy and rushed. It's something a second season could solve easily. But if that's not the case, then they really didn't pay attention to the short time they had on what was needed.

It's my fault for trying to compare it to Kanon and Clannad I know. It's not a fair comparison at all. If they do well on the ending, I guess I can put it in the same class as Air TV. Not a bad place to be in my book but still...

Kinda funny with the Haruhi comparisons, since despite the fact that the two series are very different I had the same criticism of both-- they both have a great potential and are good shows but ultimately both feel like a meal of only appetizers. You merely get a sample of what could have been. I won't doubt it's really tasty but it's ultimately unsatisfying and would be forgotten for the next meal. Though the Haruhi series eventually did prove itself with its latest entry.

For me to consider a series great it's gotta have at least one moment where it ascends to the top. Move me, shock me, something that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. A few moments of greatness up there is enough to cement an anime in my mind. And that Angel Beats hasn't done yet. And it doesn't have to. I'll still like the show, but it'll just be another show in a sea of them.

My outlook on this is the same as Starcraft II, very doubtful, but I still have faith in the creators!. If there's more of episodes 8-10 and less of 6, they can pull through.

*Awaits Kanade Starcraft II commercial*

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-06-16 at 20:13.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 01:29   Link #1225
Aaerul

I went over nihonreview.com, saw their angel Beats thread, proceeded to skim through it.

http://www.nihonreview.com/forum/ind...?topic=1380.75

Then to my horror, what I read was 6 pages of the worst kind of bloodspitting hatemail worth of discussion. There is literally not a single person who had anything positive to say, nevermind that the humour in Angel Beats is probably the most inventive and original out of all the other comedy shows this season.

So I made a post. I don't disagree with their criticism but I'm just not entirely satisfied with their complete dismissal of the show (lumping it together amongst trash like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou). Their opinions I felt were skewed.

The characters in Angel Beats ARE likeable, to me. The flashbacks are hit and miss, and some episodes are just plain cheesy. But I would say most of this show is comprised of comedy and only segments are presented dripping with melodramatic juice. I speak of the lighter moments, the hilarious scenarios (baseball game, rocket chair). I got the same light-romp-through-high-school feeling I had while playing Little Busters. It is pronounces Maeda's true talents his ability to write endearing characters and entwine them in comedy. All of THAT did it for me. Angel Beats is plain fun. Nihonreview is wrong!
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 01:31   Link #1226
Crontica

Could have been another gem like Hikaru no go / Shion no Ou if only it had 50 eps. It has the market share for it, heh can only hop page stories now.
Old 2010-06-18, 03:02   Link #1227
Wigwams

May 2010

#1 Yuri
#10 Tenshi

#6 Otonashi

June 2010

#3 Tenshi
#4 Yuri
Old 2010-06-18, 03:48   Link #1228
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Haha, what a sick poll:
Haruhi vs Yuri
Yuki vs Rei vs Kanade

I can feel the explosions from the fanboys.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-06-18, 06:19   Link #1229
Dextro
He Without a Title

Oh how I love the smell of fresh fanboy blood in the morning... (at least that's what came to mind when watching those pools. :P )
Old 2010-06-18, 06:35   Link #1230
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
Angel Beats is probably the most inventive and original out of all the other comedy shows this season.
Narrow minded assumption that can only mean it will flop by the next season's best comedy.

Quote:
The characters in Angel Beats ARE likeable, to me.
So they are to me. That still does not make them unique/memorable. In three months I will have forgotten them for the next generic brood that pops up.

Quote:
Angel Beats is plain fun.
So was Snakes and Ladders for a few times. I see no memorability in this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Could have been another gem like Hikaru no go / Shion no Ou if only it had 50 eps. It has the market share for it, heh can only hop page stories now.
Hikaru, granted, but Shion??? I think you overeact there.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 06:43   Link #1231
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
May 2010
#1 Yuri
#10 Tenshi

#6 Otonashi

June 2010
#3 Tenshi
#4 Yuri
The legitimacy of the poll is highly suspect you know, considering how many years Lacus Clyne was on that list.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 07:47   Link #1232
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Now now, roriconfan, you don't have to snap at every new fan of Angel Beats! here.

And besides, it's disgusting when you're comparing Yuri with Haruhi and Angel Beats! with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuu'utsu; it would make your thinking at par with the less-intelligent Haruhiists (those who think that Haruhi is superior like she's Adolf Hitler).

Stop that, and please think like a very experienced (and intelligent) anime fan.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 11:15   Link #1233
roriconfan
Banned

I don't snap. I just say why I think strongly this series will be forgotten in a few years.
Old 2010-06-18, 13:04   Link #1234
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I don't snap. I just say why I think strongly this series will be forgotten in a few years.
Every popular show gets forgotten in a few years, smartass.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 13:31   Link #1235
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Except for Angel Beats

I still remember Code Geass (Yuzuru using Trickery), Haruhi (lol people use to say Haruhi clone but Yurippe proven to be much more mature with her own personality), Fate/Stay Night (TK sounding like Archer "I'll kiss you"), Eureka 7 (team), Clannad (uniforms, stronge women, unity), Ga-Rei Zero (most varied weopon usage, spirits, strong female and drmatic chracter), and many more.
Old 2010-06-18, 13:49   Link #1236
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Except for Angel Beats

I still remember Code Geass (Yuzuru using Trickery), Haruhi (lol people use to say Haruhi clone but Yurippe proven to be much more mature with her own personality), Fate/Stay Night (TK sounding like Archer "I'll kiss you"), Eureka 7 (team), Clannad (uniforms, stronge women, unity), Ga-Rei Zero (most varied weopon usage, spirits, strong female and drmatic chracter), and many more.
Now it's all about Angel beats x Evangelion. Congratulations Yuri!
Old 2010-06-18, 15:28   Link #1237
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Actually I think without an outstanding ending or a second season, this is a show that's gonna fade away quickly as a flash in the pan; just another passing fad. As a fan of Key, I could treat it is a nicely packaged gift to their fans, but that's about it.

Like I said before, it really doesn't matter to me. A show is just what you get out of it. Masterpieces that make a long lasting impression can't occur regularly. But I don't want to remember it as the "the decent show that could have been really good"

But...

Someday, people will be alone and only live on within memories
Even so, that’s okay; I call my peaceful feelings ‘friends’
Someday, I’ll forget the days I spent with everyone and be living elsewhere

Then again, there's always rocket chairs...

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-06-18, 16:54   Link #1238
Aaerul

d

The reason why I enjoyed Angel Beats so much is because it is the closest thing to a Little Busters the Anime. The vibe is the same. It has a strong Maeda feel to its writing and the scenarios are always over-the-top. Anyone who has played the Visual Novel would say the same.

This is, like all KEY works, an anime for KEY fans. We've been asking for an animated version of Little Busters for a loong time now and we finally got something similar.

Look - if you didn't enjoy it is my opinion that you weren't meant to enjoy it. I can assure you that when Angel Beats was created, the creators did not care for even ONE second about what Gaijin thinks of their anime. We are merely accidental onlookers - a minority group who was never meant to exist. (unless you live in Japan)
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 17:33   Link #1239
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
The reason why I enjoyed Angel Beats so much is because it is the closest thing to a Little Busters the Anime. The vibe is the same. It has a strong Maeda feel to its writing and the scenarios are always over-the-top. Anyone who has played the Visual Novel would say the same.

This is, like all KEY works, an anime for KEY fans. We've been asking for an animated version of Little Busters for a loong time now and we finally got something similar.

Look - if you didn't enjoy it is my opinion that you weren't meant to enjoy it. I can assure you that when Angel Beats was created, the creators did not care for even ONE second about what Gaijin thinks of their anime. We are merely accidental onlookers - a minority group who was never meant to exist. (unless you live in Japan)
I think you're getting a bit too worked up over criticism of the show. That Nihonreview link you gave has pretty mild criticism. Sure it sucks to see people beat up on a show you like, but every show gets beaten up like that.

Also, the people who outright hate it in the link amount to 3-4. Though you always have to wonder why people who hate a show are so vocal about it, but w/e. Though really, I don't understand why it's a big deal that a couple of people don't like the show.

It just happens. Some shows don't hit some people, and they don't like it. It's just an opinion. Sure they're not in the target audience but I never liked that argument, because it means most of us here might as well not post if only the people who its intended for have a valid opinion.

There's a line somewhere between criticism and bashing I guess. It's not like someone comes in here and posts "zomg key sucks and everyone that watches their shit just like retarded girls!!" or gives some pretentious BS about how shows should follow some concrete direction of art. Now that is bad.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-06-18, 17:51   Link #1240
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Not if it's really well made... And this ain't.
Quote:

Rats, no wonder I don't love this series. I never played Little Busters or any Key game.

Tags
key