AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 19:17   Link #321
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medousa View Post
Spoiler for Episode 01:

That was my first thought too
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:19   Link #322
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

OMG! The censorship is funny in ep. 1.
Old 2008-04-07, 19:48   Link #323
apr
Pedestrian

Alright, so, people here are going "Maka's voice is good, dagnammit", and I'm shaking my head in disbelief. So I had to run off to 2ch and dig up their Soul Eater thread. In the first ten minutes of airing, this is what I find:

Quote:
272 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:03:10 ID:Le8cOsdj
ぐぐったら舞台の人で
声優デビューがこれだと

277 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:06:54 ID:w1lPtpRh
何この棒読み

278 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:06:55 ID:e0zke1BO
致命的に下手くそだな

279 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:07:16 ID:vvWiQZuZ
棒過ぎ。デビューでも酷い

280 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:07:21 ID:GtS5FfgR
予想以上の棒wwww
作画はいいのに・・・

281 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:07:23 ID:haVse/g+
この棒読みアニメ1年もやるつもりなの?
ボンズ終わったなw

282 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:07:37 ID:d5T4byAR
こりゃひどいwww

283 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:08:22 ID:WZYcaGkK
マカひどいな・・・。

284 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:08:32 ID:EI1WwivP
期待していたのだが…

285 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:08:34 ID:j3PnowHq
すっげえ棒読子wwwww
糞アニメ認定

286 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:09:02 ID:mBTv4YVE
上達する事を願う

287 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:09:12 ID:dN6HaPxi
これは酷すぎるだろw

288 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で [sage] 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:10:06 ID:Urproy4f
あの…実況じゃないんです。
実況じゃないんですが…

この作品のヒロイン?の声優って…

ド素人?
新人でも昨今養成所言ってると思うんですが

290 名前: 風の谷の名無しさん@実況は実況板で 投稿日: 2008/04/07(月) 18:10:19 ID:w1lPtpRh
新人なの?
それともグラビア当たりから持ってきたの?
And it goes on and on. If you can't read this, you shouldn't have commented on the performance in the first place, because it means you don't understand Japanese, and thus can't judge how crappy it was.

In any case, they all think she was horrible. It's not the voice itself, it's the way it sounds like she's reading random lines straight off a sheet of paper. There's no acting involved here. I'll accept that fresh voice actors are poor, but can't they at least assign them to fringe characters until they've learned their trade properly? Why ruin a show by forcing us to hear their pretend-acting every damned second?
Old 2008-04-07, 20:28   Link #324
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Oh, I can read it. When I was watching the trailer on Nico, I saw a whole bunch of comments about Maka's seiyuu like that. At first I thought, "Oh, her voice suits Maka's character really well!" But then after watching more, I came to realize how dull she sounded. Her voice suits the character but her acting is sub-par compared to the rest of the cast. Although, I'd cut her some slack, she got flames on her performance ever since the trailers came out >_> There were some parts that were decent acting, but there's a lot of room to improve. I hope her acting gets significantly better throughout the rest series.
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:33   Link #325
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
Does anyone know the specific details on what the late night version will have over the regular version?

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:46   Link #326
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

I can read all of that, and honestly I wasn't that bothered. In some areas it definitely felt extremely weak, but in others I thought it was fine. I'm sure she'll improve as the shows goes on too. No one wants to be bashed on that much.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:52   Link #327
apr
Pedestrian

I'm not saying she can't improve, but a prime time main character isn't the place to do it.

The rest of this thread is so full of venom that I'm not sure she'll last until the next episode Maka appears in. They've even started fiddling with her Wikipedia page.
Old 2008-04-07, 20:58   Link #328
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickHopper View Post
Does anyone know the specific details on what the late night version will have over the regular version?
The carefully placed shampoo and shower gel bottles and rubber duckies will be gone hopefully.

I'm still rooting for the seiyuu and liked the performance. She sounded a little stiff and improvement solves most problems. I couldn't care less with what's said on 2ch.
Old 2008-04-07, 21:08   Link #329
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
The rest of this thread is so full of venom that I'm not sure she'll last until the next episode Maka appears in. They've even started fiddling with her Wikipedia page.
Good thing for her they've already finished past the 6th episode
Old 2008-04-07, 21:28   Link #330
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Oh god I am so tempted.

Should I wait for sub or not.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 21:47   Link #331
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Just read the first chapter of the manga and watch the episode raw.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:27   Link #332
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
That was my first thought too
She was singing?

*cough*
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:37   Link #333
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
Just read the first chapter of the manga and watch the episode raw.
I did it and now I want to read all of the chapters that are out.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:44   Link #334
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Hahaha, that's what I'm gonna do. No harm, right?

RIGHT?!

Yay seventeen pages for one episode. >.>;;;
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:45   Link #335
flou
That's no lady

Yeah, I just saw the raw and while the animation was crazy awesome as expected (which is definitely a step-up from the horribly lifeless art of the manga), Maka's VA was god-awful. She had absolutely no emotion in her voice. For a stage-actress, getting emotions across is an essential skill, yet she shows no sign of ever having a single acting lesson Soul's VA wasn't that great at getting emotion across either at some points, but he was definitely a step-up from her. This unfortunately took away a lot of enjoyment I could have had...

Oh well, hoping things will improve soon, but in the meantime, I'm going to look forward to the eventual soundtrack release
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:52   Link #336
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

I'm still playing with my equalizer to find a way to mute out the voices and keep the awesome music.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 00:13   Link #337
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Alright, so, people here are going "Maka's voice is good, dagnammit", and I'm shaking my head in disbelief. So I had to run off to 2ch and dig up their Soul Eater thread. In the first ten minutes of airing, this is what I find:

{quotes from 2channel}

And it goes on and on....

In any case, they all think she was horrible. It's not the voice itself, it's the way it sounds like she's reading random lines straight off a sheet of paper. There's no acting involved here. I'll accept that fresh voice actors are poor, but can't they at least assign them to fringe characters until they've learned their trade properly? Why ruin a show by forcing us to hear their pretend-acting every damned second?
1. I think 2channellers tend to have excessively restrictive views of what makes a good seiyuu performance. They tend to want something professional and, in my opinion, artificial.
2. Sure her voice sounds dead, but what I want is a character, not a performance, and I personally am getting a character from her: awkward, naive.
3. But it is amazing that someone who has done as many performances on stage as her website says she has should have such a colorless voice. I can only speculate that she was told to be less expressive, as one is for acting on TV rather than on stage, and took it too literally.... I just took a closer look at the listed performances, and the last one listed was when she was 15, and some of them were clearly musicals, so perhaps her acting experience isn't really that great.

As for why she was cast, she works for Hirata Office, which looks to me as if it represents some big stars. And perhaps her appearance has something to do with it:

But as for a prime-time main character not being the place to learn, I'd say that the star of Kirarin Revolution has proved that wrong, at least commercially, if not artistically. The show has been successful enough to last into a third year, and she was just a singer at the beginning, with no seiyuu experience at all. In that case, I think the inexperienced voice communicated a sort of sincerity that clicked with fans.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-04-08 at 01:02.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 00:32   Link #338
Eclipze

Just watched the raw.

To be honest, Maka's voice was OKAY. It did feel rather dead as stated by many posters here, but at least it didn't feel entirely out of place.

I thought Kana MATSUMOTO's voice acting for Himawari!(!) was far worse than what we've heard from Maka's VA. Hers was the same situation as Chiaki Omigawa - both roles were the seiyuus' anime debut. At the same time though, Matsumoto hasn't had another VA role since then - the same might apply to Omigawa here if she doesn't pick up her act soon.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 00:35   Link #339
v1cious

everyone i know said she's supposed to have a deadpan voice. maybe it's cause i'm not Japanese, but i don't see the big deal.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 01:01   Link #340
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
2. Sure her voice sounds dead, but what I want is a character, not a performance, and I personally am getting a character from her: awkward, naive.
If that's what they're intentionally gunning for, then I'd say they've missed the mark on her character in the manga.

Quote:
3. But it is amazing that someone who has done as many performances on stage as her website says she has should have such a colorless voice. I can only speculate that she was told to be less expressive, as one is for acting on TV rather than on stage, and took it too literally.... I just took a closer look at the listed performances, and the last one listed was when she was 15, and some of them were clearly musicals, so perhaps her acting experience isn't really that great.
Live acting experience doesn't automatically translate into voice acting talent. Even professional actors who have been in the business for years can completely suck in a sound booth.

Quote:
And as for a prime-time main character not being the place to learn, I'd say that the star of Kirarin Revolution has proved that wrong. The show has been successful enough to last into a third year, and she was just a singer at the beginning, with no seiyuu experience at all.
Soul is voiced by a newbie as well. Guess you win some and you lose some.

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater