Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-14, 23:47   Link #201
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
Jeez, the thread became a bit derailed for a while there, huh?

Anyway, onto more important matters. I'm loving AtL at the moment. Sure there are some issues I have with the over simplification of certain plot points, (war from competing views about human origination? Really? And slight heavy-handedness with the "we are all the same" message in episode 2) but I can forgive those points, partly in the hope they'll be amended in future episodes.

I really love the interaction between Allison and Wil, and I am left slightly baffled by the debate over his voice. Is it really that bad? Usually I run screaming from high pitched male voices, but Wil's didn't really register as distractingly high to me.
Don't think the origins debate being a cause of war is too bad. People have found a way to start wars over a variety of issues. If people can fight about who's religion is right they can do just about anything. But if the people take a Social-Darwinist view could also add to it. The one that's the original would be the superior people thus making the other country the land of the inferiors. Start it off due to personal pride and let wanting to pay back the other side for your losses carry it the rest of the way.

Don't have a problem with Wil's voice now. Through trailers was wondering how it'd do, but it's worked out just fine.
Quote:
This is what I think will keep the series afloat for me (regardless of where they go plot wise). I love that Allison is the soldier instead of Wil, but I also love that Wil doesn't whine or complain endlessly. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses, which have so far been kept completely separate from classic gender roles (ie. Allison hefting Wil around on her back....so cute). I'd love to see them both continue to protect one another, not just Allison protecting Wil or visa versa (because if I hear a random "Men have to protect women", which comes out of nowhere one more time in a anime, I am going to scream).
The balance of personal characteristics between Wil and Allison is very nice. Allison is certainly the type to make a choice even if its a bit impulsive. But does have great skill in flying and strength to carry Wil after his injury. But as a result of impulsiveness trouble can sometimes be the result. This time apologizing for dragging Wil along and willing to listen to his cautions from that point on. Good on Wil though to not let her lose that part of her personality. Good or bad it's part of who she is after all.

Wil is a good guy. Able to match up with Allison's impulse with book smarts and a bit of cautiousness. Of course good to be with her since she can get him to do things he normally wouldn't dream of doing. Will see how his good shooting will go with the series. Not being a soldier he'd obviously like to avoid making use of it in a lethal fashion. But both have the good quality of protecting the other when they can. Because of their differences how they do it will differ, but the bond between them is strong.

But yeah I think we can avoid that cliche saying. Wil isn't the type to tell Allison to back off because as a guy its his job to protect her.
Old 2008-04-14, 23:55   Link #202
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for spoiler from above:
That's good to know. I'm a little tired of these sorts of "developments".
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 08:41   Link #203
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
That's good to know. I'm a little tired of these sorts of "developments".
besides after ep1, it's obvious she has a thing for him. Example was when she got mad when Wil dismissed that where on a date.
Old 2008-04-15, 10:20   Link #204
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched Episodes 1 & 2 on Youtube. Yeah, I haven't a clue why it's not yet been taken down, either...

You know, it more or less has got me hooked. I really like the interactions between Allison and Wil, and the fact that the dynamics between them don't really deviate too much even in the tensest moments doesn't hurt. Like an earlier poster said, Allison is basically Haruhi-lite, and such girls are always fun. As for Wil....I completely fail to see where the "wimp" denouncement is coming from. He's a scholar, a civilian, not a trained soldier and potential badass like Allison is, but the guy's taken hits for her twice in two episodes. Far as I'm concerned, he fills his manliness quota out quite nicely so far; one doesn't have to be a bombastic, testosterone-laden ape with a penchant for drills to be a man.

As for the story, it's coming along quite nicely so far. No outright drama, but the whole deal just feels so soothing in a way. Considering that it falls under shounen, with a possibility of gunfighting and whatnot, watching this is just cathartic in a sense.

I'm following this, though I won't have the time to blog about it.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 11:24   Link #205
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

i dinno if it is good um is there any recomendation like is this like the same as Aria or any anime that can be compared with pls tell me so i can either watch it or leave it
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:42   Link #206
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
As for Wil....I completely fail to see where the "wimp" denouncement is coming from. He's a scholar, a civilian, not a trained soldier and potential badass like Allison is, but the guy's taken hits for her twice in two episodes. Far as I'm concerned, he fills his manliness quota out quite nicely so far;
And the guy is a trained sharpshooter. I mean that has to come in handy. Being able to maybe protect Allison from a far distance.
Old 2008-04-15, 13:49   Link #207
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
i dinno if it is good um is there any recomendation like is this like the same as Aria or any anime that can be compared with pls tell me so i can either watch it or leave it
I don't know either. How good are you at being interesting in slow-paced series or series with slice of life elements? If you've watched Kino's Journey and/or Haibane Renmei and hated ever moment of it, then you can leave this series alone. If you're looking for something more artistic (not in a literal way) and possibly symbolic, then this is the right series for you. If you're just looking for a series that is overall enjoyable (yet carefree), then what are you waiting for?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 16:19   Link #208
FuzzyWuzzy

Ugh something needs to happen. This anime isn't giving me anything to grab on to. Story after story after story. I don't think I can wait 9 episodes just to get hooked up in this anime.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 16:26   Link #209
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
As for Wil....I completely fail to see where the "wimp" denouncement is coming from. He's a scholar, a civilian, not a trained soldier and potential badass like Allison is, but the guy's taken hits for her twice in two episodes. Far as I'm concerned, he fills his manliness quota out quite nicely so far; one doesn't have to be a bombastic, testosterone-laden ape with a penchant for drills to be a man.
I couldn't agree more. Why do you need super powers or have to kick @$$ to be a man?

I've said it time and again, but I'll say it again anyway. The words "wimp" and "wuss" are thrown around like an endless supply of meatballs at a 1980's Junior High School cafeteria food fight. The average anime viewer just isn't satisfied unless his male characters are blood vein-popping, scrieching superheroes who pummel enemies over making dialect.
Old 2008-04-15, 17:09   Link #210
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
For him, I would take out the word "wuss" and add in "submissive". Maybe it is because he is getting pushed around a lot, it gets them into deep crap most of the time unless he learns to say "NO" to Allison .

Actually...after a rewatch of the 2nd ep, I think it is beginning to sink in. Maybe this isn't as slow as it once thought.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 17:23   Link #211
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Everything will be handy. He will use his marksman skills but he will use his brain more. He will use his long term and short term memory skills, and he will show his problem solving skills. Wil is going to be emo with his marksman skills. He will be like "Nooo, I'm not going to shoot that soldier. I'm not going to take someone's life". He will be crying and crap. The thing with this anime is that it's so obvious already that it has no potential whatsoever to be really good. The only thing that can make this anime really good is if it will be like Indiana Jones and he will go to underground temples and stuff.

Anyway, judging by episode 1, it has no potential but I will watch episode 2 also. Now if episode 2 doesn't introduce the villains and more good guys, I will definitely drop this series. Anime can't live with only the main characters. The villains need lots of screen time also.
if he doesn't have the balls to kill, might as well aim for the arms/legs and disable the soldier maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

The bed part was nice as well. Obviously nerves on Allison's side getting in with him. Using her accurate excuses of having bad sleeping habits. Fine if she happens to kick long as it's not his head .
I think they used to sleep on the same bed in the orphanage so .Also tbh, I would be more worry about her accidentally kick in my groin region than my head, because it is closer to her legs than anything else, and just as painful and deadly

no dogfight as expected , no last exile =(
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 18:09   Link #212
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I am very much enjoying this so far, it takes me back to my childhood when there was more stories like this, and probably that sense of nostaglia is what is attracting me to this the most.

I also thought Mrs Radia changed her stance a bit too readily, but it seems to me that Wil sort of reminded her of her lost menfolk, so I can understand why she did.

The relationship is wonderful, the events interesting and believable, and I'm quite excited for ep 3 when they go to rescue the old man.
Old 2008-04-15, 22:43   Link #213
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
For him, I would take out the word "wuss" and add in "submissive". Maybe it is because he is getting pushed around a lot, it gets them into deep crap most of the time unless he learns to say "NO" to Allison
I think he's like Kyon, secretly enjoying all the excitement "she" brings into his life, the adventures and escapades that he really doesn't have a personality to go around seeking.

Like the scene at the end of the first episode; he's shown to be content sitting under the tree reading, but when Allison dragged him up the plane, his response was, "it's better than I thought."

Besides, he already had the opportunity to say no when Allison was essentially tamed and apologetic on how he's hurt and it's her fault; but he chose to do the very opposite and encouraged her, saying she doesn't have to say sorry, implicitly declaring that he'll be there no matter what kind of scuffle she gets herself into.

...which, honestly, is the much cooler choice.

Submissive? Good word choice. Wuss? Heck no.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 23:13   Link #214
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Wow.. Looks can be deceiving.

I thought this show was a smooth, all out fun-and-games series.. After finishing Episode one, I'm already proven wrong. It's a good series with a solid plot, seems like it will develop very well as time goes by.

Not much objectable content, pure and clean, semi-fresh material (the whole war with borderline country is a bit cliche imo). Great series so far.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 23:58   Link #215
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I think he's like Kyon, secretly enjoying all the excitement "she" brings into his life, the adventures and escapades that he really doesn't have a personality to go around seeking.

Like the scene at the end of the first episode; he's shown to be content sitting under the tree reading, but when Allison dragged him up the plane, his response was, "it's better than I thought."

Besides, he already had the opportunity to say no when Allison was essentially tamed and apologetic on how he's hurt and it's her fault; but he chose to do the very opposite and encouraged her, saying she doesn't have to say sorry, implicitly declaring that he'll be there no matter what kind of scuffle she gets herself into.

...which, honestly, is the much cooler choice.

Submissive? Good word choice. Wuss? Heck no.
Would agree with you there. Is the type if left to his own devices would just be sitting under a tree reading a book. Allison has the type of personality that can get him into things he'd normally never do himself. Sure it means sometimes getting into trouble and washing windows or a concussion thanks to a deer. But other times you get into an amazing adventure. Got to enjoy flying and see a place if alone might have never seen. Besides when she goes overboard good to have someone reliable with her to help out.

Was good on him to not encourage her shift to being more tame. Can understand her feelings. Feeling the treasure really may not have been true and seeing how a person she cared about got hurt. So Wil pretty much gives her the ok to drag him into whatever comes next. He may not be the type that will jump head first, but he'll have Allison's back.

Call it reserved, submissive, or whatever it's just how Wil is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
I think they used to sleep on the same bed in the orphanage so .Also tbh, I would be more worry about her accidentally kick in my groin region than my head, because it is closer to her legs than anything else, and just as painful and deadly

Good point . But maybe that's why we saw him turned in the other direction. Probably figured a kick to his back or behind would be preferable to the alternative.
Old 2008-04-16, 01:34   Link #216
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
The show has the majority of Last Exile's strengths so the lack of action so far doesn't bother me. They've set it up so that should Allison and Will get into a fight, it would be an entertaining action sequence. Given the nature of the show, though, I'll be content if the character dynamics continue to evolve.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 02:10   Link #217
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
You guys have successfully convinced me to put Last Exile on my "Plan To Watch" list, so congratulations!
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 02:25   Link #218
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The second episode is built on a straightforward theme, exemplified in what Grandma Moot had once told the orphans:

"Even if they are the words of a mouse, it's okay to believe them if they are the truth. Who says them is not important. What is important is the meaning of the words and the ability to believe in them. Eventually, many people will tell you different things, but you should think about them and walk your own path."

Travas Radia wanted to avenge her husband and sons by fighting Roxche, but after hearing Allison's and Wil's stories, she came to see the other point of view, to see another truth. Hence, she made an unexpected decision, contrary to her own beliefs. Bear in mind that she had intended to hand Allison and Wil to the police at first.

Over-simplified? Too cheesy? Perhaps. But from a story-telling perspective, I felt that Travas was behaving very much in-character. It's not war she wanted to pursue, but rather justice for the family she lost. If helping Allison and Wil would serve that goal, I can understand why she allowed them to go free.

Allison & Lilia is obviously meant to be an allegory, and like most allegories, they work best when they are boiled down to the essential details, to deliver the message you want your audience to hear. Now, many writers hate allegory, because they feel that it is an insincere way of saying what you truly mean to say.

They are entitled to their opinions. Personally, I don't mind allegory as long as it's beautiful. For example, I disliked the Christian themes in The Chronicles of Narnia, but I loved the saga and the characters. You must like the story first. The deeper meanings behind the story can come later.

It's the same for Allison & Lilia. I especially loved the flashback where Allison made Wil her "loyal henchman" from Day One. It's very cute. Allison and Wil are a perfect couple - they complete each other. One is rash and impulsive, the other careful and rational. Together, they make a dream possible. That is clearly the message the author wanted to make.

So, let it be and stop the whining. If you don't like the show, there are plenty of other promising stuff to watch this season.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 15:17   Link #219
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The second episode is built on a straightforward theme, exemplified in what Grandma Moot had once told the orphans:

"Even if they are the words of a mouse, it's okay to believe them if they are the truth. Who says them is not important. What is important is the meaning of the words and the ability to believe in them. Eventually, many people will tell you different things, but you should think about them and walk your own path."

Travas Radia wanted to avenge her husband and sons by fighting Roxche, but after hearing Allison's and Wil's stories, she came to see the other point of view, to see another truth. Hence, she made an unexpected decision, contrary to her own beliefs. Bear in mind that she had intended to hand Allison and Wil to the police at first.

Over-simplified? Too cheesy? Perhaps. But from a story-telling perspective, I felt that Travas was behaving very much in-character. It's not war she wanted to pursue, but rather justice for the family she lost. If helping Allison and Wil would serve that goal, I can understand why she allowed them to go free.

Allison & Lilia is obviously meant to be an allegory, and like most allegories, they work best when they are boiled down to the essential details, to deliver the message you want your audience to hear. Now, many writers hate allegory, because they feel that it is an insincere way of saying what you truly mean to say.

They are entitled to their opinions. Personally, I don't mind allegory as long as it's beautiful. For example, I disliked the Christian themes in The Chronicles of Narnia, but I loved the saga and the characters. You must like the story first. The deeper meanings behind the story can come later.

It's the same for Allison & Lilia. I especially loved the flashback where Allison made Wil her "loyal henchman" from Day One. It's very cute. Allison and Wil are a perfect couple - they complete each other. One is rash and impulsive, the other careful and rational. Together, they make a dream possible. That is clearly the message the author wanted to make.

So, let it be and stop the whining. If you don't like the show, there are plenty of other promising stuff to watch this season.
KnT dude must have a thing for preachy. Because ep 2 is preachy, and I'm willing to bet the rest of the show is like this too. Not NEARLY as bad as KnT was, though. Watching that show felt like getting hit over the head with a hammer at times.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 16:43   Link #220
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

For those needing a refresher in the term "wuss" look here.

Sorry, Wil's voice was a poor choice and will only amplify this tag for him. If he can't kill even though he is a sharp shooter and given the situation that they are in, then that's pretty ineffectual in my book. If he continues to back down to Allison, well there's a term for that too that's also a synonym for "wuss".

He may change as the series progresses.

Tags
adventure, historical, shounen