Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-05, 13:29   Link #181
BokuWaNihonJinDesu99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Brains-Base must be in need of some cash. Maybe they'll make enough on this series that they can finance more shows like Baccano!, Kure-nai and Natsume Yuujinchou.
lol b-team, hurf durf
BokuWaNihonJinDesu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 14:26   Link #182
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I'm in real need of a good laugh out loud stupid comedy. This is one weird/hilarious/stupid comedy. Been laughing alot from this episode.Fukayama Jun using his Lulu voice in a eroge, big fat plus for comedy. I personally just find it hilarious to hear 'lelouch' in a harem comedy. The concept is just weird or more british like ,'bollocks'. I haven't seen such a weird show for a long time.

Spoiler for Review of episode 1:

I hope the later episode can keep up with the comedy.

Last edited by musume_no_hoshi; 2009-01-05 at 17:36.
musume_no_hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 19:27   Link #183
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow now that there was a classic case of something being so stupid its good.

I wasn't expecting much from the OP, but once it got rolling the show was genuinely alot of fun with some great characters to boot. Art quality was crap like some others said before, but it had its moments of brilliance like with Najima's faces so I can't say it was all bad in that department.

Can't wait to see where they go with this absurd premise...Soda can girls haha...ah japan what will you think of next...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 09:09   Link #184
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
WOW i cant believe i took actual time to watch this whats even more surprising is laughed at it. This series is not be taken seriously but if you can sit back and have a quick laugh over the insanely ecchi goodness and random mind raping hey why the hell not. I wont be going out of my way to watch the episodes but i will take some time out every now and then to check it out.
Old 2009-01-06, 15:28   Link #185
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I thought the first episode was haha-stupid-funny but I really have the suspicion this isn't going to hold up since its essentially a one-gag show. The perverted male trying to dominate a submissive-yet-protocol-must-be-followed semi-meido female...... (where is that file folder of "He is My Master"?).

Basically in Sinestra's box on this one.... funny, hopefully won't get melodramatic, probably won't watch unless my "to do" queue is absolutely empty.
Old 2009-01-06, 20:29   Link #186
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

WTF Brains-Base? They're giving up an eighteen month winning streak for this?

Although I think SeijiSensei has come up with the most compelling speculation for why they're making this anime and, in all honesty, while I don't think anyone's going to claim this isn't crap, it's at least got the potential to be fun crap. This works because Fukuyama is the absolute perfect casting for the male lead. It doesn't matter what he's doing, the male lead almost always sounds completely confident in his perversion, thanks to Fukuyama. The male lead is an asshole, which has become more and more prominent in harem leads (to counteract the innumerable boring nice guys, I guess), but it's too often taken to such extremes that there's no chance to sympathize with them at all towards the end of the show. This male lead is an asshole, but he's demonstrated that he's not a complete asshole. I'm not sure what that means for his prospects for likability down the road, though...

This show has some lines, though. Surprisingly, someone's put effort into writing this. "You'll open wide for anyone as long as they have money", says the male lead to a vending machine. Jesus Christ! How profound... profoundly wrong, but profound all the same.

Like Vexx, I think this is going to run out of steam pretty soon. There's not a great deal they can do with this premise. They'll be a few fanservice jokes, Daichi will act like a pervert, only to receive Melon's carbonated wrath, there'll be at least one, possibly more other Akikans, and lots of awkwardness between them and the normal girls at Daichi's school. Maybe Melon will get kidnapped by the perverted politician at some point (although, by the looks of his assistant, maybe she'll join the harem at some point). And then in the end Daichi and Melon will decide they want to spend the rest of their lives together. If it's entertaining along the way, then I don't think I'll mind. But there's still another eleven episodes to go.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 21:05   Link #187
CWW
Lurker

To be honest, the voice acting alone is reason enough for me to keep watching. Every time any character opens his or her mouth I can't help but laugh. Well, everyone except Melon. She's a bit dull so far.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 23:51   Link #188
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

I watched this last night. Well, some of it.

This shit was so awful, it made me want to give up anime.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 03:25   Link #189
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I actually thoroughly enjoyed this one in spite of the utter stupidity. Especially the straw scene. As overused as it is, there's still something funny about phallic symbolism, even if it's totally blatant rather than some sort of subtle "hey, did you notice that we encoded the human reproductive cycle from conception to adulthood in a mecha battle" type deal (that kind of phallic symbolism is more Gainax's thing).

That said, I'm also concerned about the show's future, because most of the jokes I liked seemed like one shots. Few things suck as the much as the later episodes of a harem show that burned through it's good stuff at the start. Speaking of which, am I the only one who finds that introductory episodes of harem shows often seem better than what follows? Where to go next seems to be a chronic problem for this genre.

I find the asshole male lead thing a bit of a tossup too. On one hand it's a nice break from loser leads. On the other hand, it makes the show seem like a poor man's Inukami - no strong willed female to counter the Keita type character, and the writer doesn't have the balls to REALLY push the envelope on the crude humour angle.

Edit: Also, while Kure-nai seriously boosted my opinion of Brains Base similar to what EF did for SHAFT, I was under the impression Brains Base has always done some B-list shows. I just hope they get back into quality mode for the stuff I really want to see from them this year.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 03:29   Link #190
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Sheesh, I was hoping the stupid-as-all-hell premace would give way to the Second Coming of Seto No Hanayome but sadly, it was not to be.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 04:04   Link #191
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This show has some lines, though. Surprisingly, someone's put effort into writing this. "You'll open wide for anyone as long as they have money", says the male lead to a vending machine. Jesus Christ! How profound... profoundly wrong, but profound all the same.
I'm tempted to declare that as the greatest opening line by a male harem lead in anime period.

Quote:
Edit: Also, while Kure-nai seriously boosted my opinion of Brains Base similar to what EF did for SHAFT, I was under the impression Brains Base has always done some B-list shows. I just hope they get back into quality mode for the stuff I really want to see from them this year.
You must've missed Baccano which imo was the show of 2007 and far better than anything that finished airing in 2008.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 04:45   Link #192
meh

I swear I have no clue how ANYONE could come up with such a ludicrous premise for a light novel and make it work... well enough to be turned into an anime. I mean, the absurdity is just mind-boggling.

That said, it was a fun 1st episode. Quite a few humorous moments and generally entertaining. Stupid entertainment, but what the hey. That said, this type of comedy doesn't exactly work for long, so hopefully there's something more tangible as we get further into the series.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 06:20   Link #193
Seiryuu

I've only just watched ep. 1, and I must say that, while the show itself looks like it could be good, I really can't say I've a good opinion of the "hero". Right at first, I was able to feel some pity for the poor guy who'd never had a girlfriend, even when it became clearer just why he has no success with girls. That all ended when I met Najimi. I thought his problem was that he's an idiot who doesn't know how to behave respectably in front of girls. It turns out he's actually an idiot who's so absorbed in his own situation that he doesn't even look around. How can you pity a guy who can't get a girl when he's on familiar terms with a pretty girl who not only drools whenever she gets the impression that he might want to do it with her, but even openly states her willingness to be his "toy"? It's like one of those old sitcom gags, where an idiot's walking around with his glasses on top of his head, searching high and low for said glasses.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 15:15   Link #194
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I was warned my IQ would melt down after watching this, but seems i escaped with enough to form a semi-coherent post ... probably. This has got to be the first time where i have literally 'felt' the definition of "so bad it's good" descend upon me. From his antics at start (where i was not sure whether to laugh or face-palm), to the random homo 'government agent', to the sheer ridiculousness of Melon's existence, to his complaining about not 'getting any' when Najimi is all but drooling next to him ... i didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so i guess this gets to be a keeper for sheer ridiculousness value. An epic trainwreck indeed ... a trainwreck, but still so epic you can't turn away

What probably keeps this thing afloat is Daichi's awesome seiyuu performance ... without Jun working his magic here, i don't know how much of a success this would have been. The guy literally brings Daichi to life in a way worth noting. Too bad it seems they blew all their budget hiring him, and the animation gets to suffer from it ... it was simply bad. Never the less, this is a show i am going to follow. Something like this doesn't come around very often, and i am not about to miss the ride, even if i will end up feeling like crashing my head on the table afterwards
Old 2009-01-07, 16:15   Link #195
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0
You must've missed Baccano which imo was the show of 2007 and far better than anything that finished airing in 2008.
Actually, I have seen Baccano. I like it, but I don't have anywhere near the same level of praise for it some people do and I personally preferred Kure-nai.

My basic point, though, was just that it's not that suprising to see Brains Base doing a B show, because they've had a mix of A and B shows in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
What probably keeps this thing afloat is Daichi's awesome seiyuu performance ... without Jun working his magic here, i don't know how much of a success this would have been. The guy literally brings Daichi to life in a way worth noting. Too bad it seems they blew all their budget hiring him, and the animation gets to suffer from it ... it was simply bad. Never the less, this is a show i am going to follow. Something like this doesn't come around very often, and i am not about to miss the ride, even if i will end up feeling like crashing my head on the table afterwards
This isn't actually the first time Jun has voices a jerkass harem lead - that's part of the reason I made the comparison to Inukami. Although this guy strikes me as someone who is even more of a dick than Keita was.
Old 2009-01-07, 16:48   Link #196
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
This isn't actually the first time Jun has voices a jerkass harem lead - that's part of the reason I made the comparison to Inukami. Although this guy strikes me as someone who is even more of a dick than Keita was.
Oh yes, this guy definitely strikes me as a jerk, much more so than Keita ever did (really, he wasn't even that bad ...was he ). Like all usual jackasses in anime though, i am pretty sure he will come through when needed. I am sure the situation will turn more 'serious' at some point, which is when we can expect to see whether he is capable of 'changing his ways' or not (most likely not) ... though i am more worried whether the inevitably upcoming more serious part can work with the sheer ridiculousness of the premise. Oh well, i guess we will see. I just hope this show doesn't start taking itself too seriously at some point
Old 2009-01-07, 17:05   Link #197
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Oh, he will come through all right. If they follow the story, that is.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 21:46   Link #198
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

As long the studio not trying to be creative and make their own story, I think this show will turn out real fine.
Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 09:30   Link #199
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
"hey, did you notice that we encoded the human reproductive cycle from conception to adulthood in a mecha battle" type deal (that kind of phallic symbolism is more Gainax's thing).
Wait, what?
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 13:17   Link #200
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0
"hey, did you notice that we encoded the human reproductive cycle from conception to adulthood in a mecha battle" type deal (that kind of phallic symbolism is more Gainax's thing).
Wait, what?
I was trying to get across that the "Does this remind you of anything?" nature of the straw scene is still funny, even though it's much more blatant than similar symbolism at the end of Gurren Lagann episode 25.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen