AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 31 11.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 5.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 5.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 5.05%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 3.97%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 13 4.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 151 54.51%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-05, 14:16   Link #541
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Except that K-On is STILL worse than every episode of Endless Eight.
Old 2009-08-05, 14:36   Link #542
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The show's still airing. It's not dead yet.
Yes but for some reason (and I swear to god this is true) I was trying to find the Haruhi forum and spent about 30 seconds perusing over the old series section wondering why it was so hard to find. For some reason it feels like it should be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
"There is no bad publicity except your own obituary."

This slogan seems to have been the driving thought behind the Haruhi franchise for the last three years. If K-on's record sales are any indication, they are on to something with Endless Eight.
What you mean that because it's gimmicky and in your face that it'll actually enhance the popularity of the show in Japan and thus sales? I wouldn't doubt it actually.
Old 2009-08-05, 14:40   Link #543
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Also, given the promotion for the BLR DVD, I think it's a sign that they aren't trying to kill Haruhi.

About K-ON!, it wasn't bad to watch it as it aired. Decent little show, but I'm not huge into SoL and stuff. However, given the success of the K-ON! DVDs, I think it's entirely possible a second season will show up at some point. Kadokawa wouldn't pass up a chance at more money that easily.
Old 2009-08-05, 14:46   Link #544
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yes but for some reason (and I swear to god this is true) I was trying to find the Haruhi forum and spent about 30 seconds perusing over the old series section wondering why it was so hard to find. For some reason it feels like it should be there.
Don't worry Kaioshin, those feelings shall end once Sighs begins next week and this rises up from the annals of borderline vaporware.

And I liked K-ON, though I agree with those who think there should have more emphasis placed on the musical angle. At the start they just seemed like a relaxed, down-to-earth group, but as the show progressed and they never felt like practicing or doing anything ever, it changed to more of a "Why the hell are you all even in this band?" feeling.
Old 2009-08-05, 14:48   Link #545
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

K-ON! is pretty good for entertainment value when you want to relax and just enjoy what is going on... It's not meant to have a story line, so basically, it's another Lucky Star-like anime, but with more music.

But, at the rate Endless Eight is going, K-ON! is more enjoyable... but once thats out of the way, hopefully Sighs will live up to the expectations that Endless Eight arc couldn't
Old 2009-08-05, 14:48   Link #546
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

sigh... kyon should just say "I love you" and get it over with, just like how he kisses haruhi to break out of the closed space.

but... somehow he reminds me of myself, being lazy and all
Old 2009-08-05, 14:49   Link #547
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That's simple...the story was about a club, not a band. Like the SOS-dan...they don't really do anything either.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:19   Link #548
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
How so? I mean, my knowledge of K-On is fairly limited - did K-On try something like Endless Eight? If not, what does K-On's record sales have to do with Endless Eight?
K-on! has been heavily criticised by anime fans for having poor animation (by Kyoani standards) and being light on content. As Ithekro says, the cast doesn't do much either during the season except have fun. Supposedly K-on's succes is more based on the Kyoani brand name then it's own merrits. However all this didn't stop this anime from becoming very popular and getting massive Blu-ray sales. If anything, the accusations of being a moeblob series helped spread the hype.

Compare this to Haruhi, after the first season we have only seen viral advertising and trolling, seemingly without consideration for the fans and the series popularity.

In this thread the assumption was made that Endless Eight would have a negative impact on DVD sales. The quote I posted challenges that assumption. As long as people talk about Endless Eight, it will help sell Haruhi S2.

Remember that for a season that was not announced without significant advertising, S2 managed to generate a massive amount of buzz, mainly due to the secrecy and the controversy around Endless 8. If publicity equals popularity and popularity equals sales, then Haruhi S2 might end up becoming a sales monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What you mean that because it's gimmicky and in your face that it'll actually enhance the popularity of the show in Japan and thus sales? I wouldn't doubt it actually.
Pretty much, yes.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:19   Link #549
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Except that K-On is STILL worse than every episode of Endless Eight.
But K-On! had more adorable girls and a progressing plot line, which is a little better than looking at shirtless Kyon and Speedo Koizumi. I'm not into fanservice, but it was easier on the eyes. Endless Eight is great, I think, but K-On! gave me something to watch (besides new episodes of Weeds) while Haruhi is stuck plot stand-still. Not a lot of people would agree with your statement.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:20   Link #550
LithiumHelios
Custom User Title

Send a message via MSN to LithiumHelios
Honestly, I'm not really sure what they are trying to achieve by doing this. Looping an episode 3 or so times is sort of understandable given the nature of the story but while there are some pretty good shows coming out over the summer (and spring) seasons Melancholy has been shooting itself in the foot by killing any momentum they may have picked up.

Bad call to slow things down this much. Don't think it's quite had the effect they may have wanted to portray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri
Remember that for a season that was not announced without significant advertising, S2 managed to generate a massive amount of buzz, mainly due to the secrecy and the controversy around Endless 8. If publicity equals popularity and popularity equals sales, then Haruhi S2 might end up becoming a sales monster.
I think it could have the opposite effect and probably drive those who were borderline with the show away from any possible DVD sales. If anything I would expect this season to drive a bit of a wedge between those who like it and those who were on the fence/dislike it.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:27   Link #551
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
Also, given the promotion for the BLR DVD, I think it's a sign that they aren't trying to kill Haruhi.
So we've confirmed that they're just unintelligent.

Well, no more than I'd expect from any big company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
About K-ON!, it wasn't bad to watch it as it aired. Decent little show, but I'm not huge into SoL and stuff.
K-On isn't slice-of-life. Azumanga was slice-of-life. Sora no Manimani is slice-of-life.

K-On isn't slice-of-life. It's crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
At the start they just seemed like a relaxed, down-to-earth group, but as the show progressed and they never felt like practicing or doing anything ever, it changed to more of a "Why the hell are you all even in this band?" feeling.
This is exactly my sentiment. Why are they even in a band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumHelios View Post
Bad call to slow things down this much. Don't think it's quite had the effect they may have wanted to portray.
Like I said, they overestimated how much the fans would enjoy something like this.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:28   Link #552
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
lol o rly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
K-On isn't slice-of-life. It's crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-On!

edit: Unless you're saying Slice-of-life is crap, which I understand.
Old 2009-08-05, 15:56   Link #553
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
But K-On! had more adorable girls and a progressing plot line, which is a little better than looking at shirtless Kyon and Speedo Koizumi. I'm not into fanservice, but it was easier on the eyes. Endless Eight is great, I think, but K-On! gave me something to watch (besides new episodes of Weeds) while Haruhi is stuck plot stand-still. Not a lot of people would agree with your statement.
Except that Kaisos really really hates K-On like you have no idea.

He used to love Kyoto Animation so if you're ever looking for a prime example of Haruhi and other things turning people against it then he's probably the one to talk too about it.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:08   Link #554
xellos2099

I still don't see the point of k-on.... extremely crappy animation compare to like Saki and a equally pointless story.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:08   Link #555
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I find it hard to believe that the negative hype regarding the new Haruhi episodes is gonna result in more DVD sales when the negative hype is mainly that 95% of all the episodes in the season are essentially the same episode.

This isn't an issue of saying "Moe blob shows are crap and I don't wanna watch them". This is an issue of "you're paying for this one episode 8(or 9000) times over".
Old 2009-08-05, 16:13   Link #556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Excuse me, but why are people beating up K-On! in a Haruhi thread? A bit more than off-topic?
Old 2009-08-05, 16:15   Link #557
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
K-on! has been heavily criticised by anime fans for having poor animation (by Kyoani standards) and being light on content. As Ithekro says, the cast doesn't do much either during the season except have fun. Supposedly K-on's succes is more based on the Kyoani brand name then it's own merrits. However all this didn't stop this anime from becoming very popular and getting massive Blu-ray sales. If anything, the accusations of being a moeblob series helped spread the hype.

Compare this to Haruhi, after the first season we have only seen viral advertising and trolling, seemingly without consideration for the fans and the series popularity.

In this thread the assumption was made that Endless Eight would have a negative impact on DVD sales.
The word "assumption" does this argument - which I myself continue to hold to - a gross disservice. There's no "assuming" involved in looking at the awful ratings that these Endless Eight episodes are getting here on Anime Suki (last I checked, 3 of the last 4 Haruhi episodes have a majority of ratings in the "1" category, and the other one is very close to majority '1' status).

I'm going to quickly check out K-On's board here on Anime Suki, and see if that applies to 4 or more of K-On's episodes. And the answer is...

A huge no.

Not a signal K-On episode got more than a measly 2 or 3 people voting a 1 for either of their episodes. The total series rating for K-On has approximately 70% of its voters voting it between 8 and 10. This is a healthy, satisfied fanbase.

Whatever you or I may think of K-On, it's own fanbase (foreign fanbase at least) loves K-On.

Haruhi Suzumiya's own fanbase (foreign fanbase at least) hates Endless Eight.

It's one thing for an anime to be hated by anime fans in general - heck, Haruhi itself has its share of critics out there that loath how hyped it is. Check out the general board here sometime - there's plenty of Haruhi critics in the "Most overrated anime" thread, last I checked.

The real question - from a sales standpoint - is what do the particular anime's fanbase (and not just anime fans in general) think of that particular anime; the question is what do Haruhiists think of Haruhi - not what do anime fans in general think of Haruhi.

Well, these ratings tells us that K-On's fanbase loves, or at least really likes, K-On. Current Endless Eight ratings tells us that Haruhi's fanbase is, at best, starkly divided on Endless Eight - at least half the fanbase utterly hates it.

The real question, as Vexx said, is... do Japanese fans of Haruhi share the same view as many of us anti-Endless Eight foreign fans do? Unless there's some way of tracking that in a statistical way, that much is a bit speculative... involving assumptions on both sides of the issue. However, I have my doubts that the Japanese are so radically different from the rest of humanity so as their tolerance for repetition is eons beyond our own.

In any event, there's no assumptions involved in saying that EE sales will hurt on the international market at least. It's a logical hypothesis to make given these horrid ratings that Haruhi is getting.

Us posters here on Anime Suki are the core of the core of Haruhi's foreign fanbase - we're the ones who love the anime and/or franchise enough to go on the internet to talk about it, start fan groups about, and even make an entire vibrant sub-fandom entirely out of the concept of gender-swapping the entire cast. If the anime loses a significant portion of us, that has to hurt.

Quote:

As long as people talk about Endless Eight, it will help sell Haruhi S2.
I disagree. Extremely bad word of mouth can and does hurt sales.

Quote:

Remember that for a season that was not announced without significant advertising, S2 managed to generate a massive amount of buzz, mainly due to the secrecy and the controversy around Endless 8.
No, Endless 8 didn't cause that buzz - that buzz was probably at its highest peak with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Endless 8 is killing the buzz. It really is. I've seen it on blogs and other boards - Endless 8 is resulting in people talking less, not more, about Haruhi.

The reason being that not everyone is going to play the minutia game. Some people simply find this repetition boring... if not downright offensive. It's leaving a lot of people with out anything to say about the actual content of the episodes. That's not good.

Quote:
If publicity equals popularity and popularity equals sales, then Haruhi S2 might end up becoming a sales monster.
We'll see.

Perhaps I have too much faith and respect for the Haruhi fandom - perhaps we really will buy anything that's thrown in our faces.

Or perhaps we'll see an awful and horrid arc concept for the cynical and fan disrespecting marketing ploy that it is.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:17   Link #558
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Because people mentioned the controversy behind K-on as being a reason for it's success with DVD sales and thus postulate that the new Haruhi season will be even more successful because it's even more controversial.

Which is kind of like saying that since Vitamin tablets are good for you, you should ingest at least a tenth of your body weight in them every day.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:26   Link #559
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Excuse me, but why are people beating up K-On! in a Haruhi thread? A bit more than off-topic?
It's a KyoAni show, and KyoAni shows inevitably get compared to one another.

But you're right, let's stop.

Quote:
Or perhaps we'll see an awful and horrid arc concept for the cynical and fan disrespecting marketing ploy that it is.
I hope no one buys the E8 DVDs. That really would teach them.

Or not, since they can recover the lost money through the ridiculous sales of that other show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Which is kind of like saying that since Vitamin tablets are good for you, you should ingest at least a tenth of your body weight in them every day.
Your analogies continue to amuse me. Please, continue.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:28   Link #560
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Not a signal K-On episode got more than a measly 2 or 3 people voting a 1 for either of their episodes. The total series rating for K-On has approximately 70% of its voters voting it between 8 and 10. This is a healthy, satisfied fanbase.
Isn't that just general animesuki voting patterns though? I'm not sure the polls are statistically relevant.
Closed Thread