AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-24, 14:53   Link #16021
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanasaurus0077 View Post
Just trying to keep up the image of a grumpy and easily aggravated cynic who likes to review old movies and happens to be a favorite of mine.
The Nostalgia Critic already exists. Give it a rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
What if they don't have names in the future?
So Mikuru would either have chosen her name, or she would have been assigned one?
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 14:55   Link #16022
ryanasaurus0077
Nostalgia Critic's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
The Nostalgia Critic already exists. Give it a rest.
WAA-WAA-WAA-WAAAA! (shrug)

Seriously, it's not like I'm trying to become him. It's just that I like him a lot.
ryanasaurus0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 14:57   Link #16023
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
So Mikuru would either have chosen her name, or she would have been assigned one?
Given the nature of the time travelers, she was probably assigned one.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 14:59   Link #16024
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Which... amusingly means there's a possibility that Mikuru(Big) is just someone who looks surprisingly similar.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 15:02   Link #16025
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Which... amusingly means there's a possibility that Mikuru(Big) is just someone who looks surprisingly similar.
No, no, they're clearly the same person. The mole, among other things, proves that.

It's just that, say, if one spent one's entire life in sort of a gestalt mind, why would there be any need for names? You know who you are, and everyone else knows who you are, just by the nature of your very existence.
Old 2009-05-24, 15:10   Link #16026
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
The mole, among other things, proves that.
So you're saying it will be impossible to alter one's appearance in the distant future?

We're talking highly speculative material here, and neither Mikuru has been shown to be completely honest. There is a possibility that two close relatives were chosen to interact with the past, and that the older of the two took on the persona of being the younger, but from a slightly farther-off future.

No, I'm not entirely sure how much of this is serious and how much isn't.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 15:13   Link #16027
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
It's just that, say, if one spent one's entire life in sort of a gestalt mind, why would there be any need for names? You know who you are, and everyone else knows who you are, just by the nature of your very existence.
...Third Impact occurs at some point in the future?
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 15:15   Link #16028
ryanasaurus0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
...Third Impact occurs at some point in the future?
I don't know... why don't you sing about it?
Old 2009-05-24, 15:24   Link #16029
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
Obviously her real name is THX-19438. Maybe she's a set of clones that share memories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
No, no, they're clearly the same person. The mole, among other things, proves that.
Plus there's a whole set of time paradox's that wouldn't work out if she wasn't Mikuru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane
Neither Mikuru has been shown to be completely honest
Plus there's that whole thing with her brain being programmed so that she can't reveal important information even if she wants to. You can't be too careful if you work for an organization that makes a living off of the space-time continuum. One wrong paradox could destroy the universe. One little time warp and they lose access to a whole section of time.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 16:03   Link #16030
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
For when you had to interact with people in the past who weren't gestalt minds.

Which would ironically make Mikuru exactly the same a Yuki. A representative from an alien faction who has been modified from that groups norm to interact with another group. The Time travelers are just better at it.

Awesome.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 16:17   Link #16031
ryanasaurus0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

Which would ironically make Mikuru exactly the same a Yuki. A representative from an alien faction who has been modified from that groups norm to interact with another group. The Time travelers are just better at it.

Awesome.
Adventure Ho!
Old 2009-05-24, 17:02   Link #16032
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

Awesome.
I'm posting from Canada.

Isn't the DITE separate from standard spacetime though? Or is my memory slipping up?

On another note, I do not think I will ever become used to ryanasaurus0077's behavior. It's a change of pace I suppose, but seeing an avatar with a 3D person in this thread is a little...

Last edited by Nanao-kun; 2009-05-24 at 17:03. Reason: typo
Nanao-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 17:07   Link #16033
ryanasaurus0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
I'm posting from Canada.

Isn't the DITE separate from standard spacetime though? Or is my memory slipping up?

On another note, I do not think I will ever become used to ryanasaurus0077's behavior. It's a change of pace I suppose, but seeing an avatar with a 3D person in this thread is a little...
I'm glad someone thinks I'm weirder than Haruhi. Oh, and I couldn't find any 2-D images of the Nostalgia Critic, so I used a live-action image of him.
Old 2009-05-24, 17:08   Link #16034
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
I'm posting from Canada.
Is that good or bad?

Quote:
I don't remember anything being mentioned about it being separate. The last time I read the novels was a while ago, though, so your guess is as good as mine.

...Why am I even saying anything if I don't know?

Quote:
To me it's not even that it's a 3D person, it's that it's a non-idol/seiyuu 3D person. I've seen a few avatars and signatures with voice actresses and singers and whatnot in them, but to see a bearded white guy? It's just...weird for this forum.
Old 2009-05-24, 17:39   Link #16035
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Can someone please post something on topic before this guy wets his pants from the excitement of having figured out sarcasm? I can't believe that I'm asking for more on-topic discussions, considering how I've only ever posted something relevant to a topic about three times, but I don't want to have to clean up any puddles on my internet-carpet.
Old 2009-05-24, 17:45   Link #16036
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Uhh, strange for me to pop up here, but as I remember, in book 7 (I think, the full one before book 9), when Kyon and Mikuru is going around making possible to invent time travel, they:

- save some kid's life (not in that volume)
- give some impression to the same kid
- make sure somebody will be born
- and give somebody that damaged data container, with the basics of the time travel, who will decode it.

I think it means that time travel is invented by the next few generations, so it could be that Mikuru came from a not really far future.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 17:51   Link #16037
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Uhh, strange for me to pop up here, but as I remember, in book 7 (I think, the full one before book 9), when Kyon and Mikuru is going around making possible to invent time travel, they:

- save some kid's life (not in that volume)
- give some impression to the same kid
- make sure somebody will be born
- and give somebody that damaged data container, with the basics of the time travel, who will decode it.

I think it means that time travel is invented by the next few generations, so it could be that Mikuru came from a not really far future.
THANK YOU.

Yeah, that's in Intrigues. That's a good observation. It doesn't really help us figure out when exactly Mikuru is from, but it could still be useful information.
Old 2009-05-24, 17:58   Link #16038
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I doubt we will have abandoned boats within the next century.
Old 2009-05-24, 18:07   Link #16039
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

If I remember correctly, that kid was responsible for one of the basic theories that led to the discovery of time travel, using the turtle and river as inspiration.
Which is like saying Isaac Newton is partly responsible for inventing rocketry because he "discovered" gravity.

The thing about time travelers is they can be from anywhere. For all we know, her Mikuru (Big) is Mikuru (Small)'s boss.

Quote:
Oh, and I couldn't find any 2-D images of the Nostalgia Critic, so I used a live-action image of him.
Here, use this one.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 18:09   Link #16040
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Maybe Mikuru is from an already altered world (altered by Haruhi, of course), making her not only a time traveler, but a slider as well?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan