AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-10, 07:46   Link #61
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I liked their songs myself. it's great to have songs that you like to play on whatever instrument you're playing or want to play. I've been practicing on them for a while (along with other more 'boring' material) Though anyone starting off should realize you can't learn an instrument by going to summer camps and end up only playing on the beach...

I seem to think exactly opposite as Da~Mike; I liked their music, but the show wasn't much special nor a good comedy. Just an overdose on moe'ness that I can't seem to enjoy. Though implying that pop-songs with mediocore drumming are for babies is a bit harsh...
Ah. I used the wrong emoticon in my last post, as I didn't actually mean that I liked the series. I often forget how easy it is to type something out and not realise that my tone of voice is not accompanying my words (as compared to when I speak).

I found the "moe moe kyun" factor in the anime excessive, unnatural, and rather creepy. More so than other series similar to it like Aria or Azumanga Daioh (though I think the two I mentioned are good in their own ways if you ignore the "moe moe" thing).
The K-On manga is a more bearable experience.

In any case, yes I guess I was exaggerating a little about the level of drumming in the songs in K-On (not really any different from the pop/rock songs of today). I'd reckon that you'd need to be of at least Grade 2 to pull them off with sound technique.

As for REALLY GOOD drumming, one only needs to listen to some of the extended versions of Buddy Rich's "West Side Story Medley", when he packed in some very technical and extremely difficult drum solos.
Other great contemporary drummers of today would include Dave Weckl and Mike Portnoy.

Going back to the topic of musical inspiration, I found Nodame Cantabile to be much better at that! (and a very amusing series too)
Old 2009-08-23, 02:01   Link #62
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ironically, when I watched La Corda d'Oro, Beck Mongolian Chop Squad and parts of Nodame Cantabile, I didn't have this urge to play the instruments featured. Maybe because Kahoko Hino's violin is magical, Beck seems too laid-back for me, and classical instruments aren't really my forte.

K-On!, though, showed that playing in a band was an enjoyable experience, despite being unprofessional and downright random, they pulled everything off. I think the lesson isn't how epic your guitar or drum solos you've performed or how popular the instruments you're using. It's enjoying the music and everything that comes along with it.

My two cents.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2009-08-24, 17:40   Link #63
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I could have learned the same thing watching David Lee Roth-era Van Halen or Bon Scott-era AC/DC and get some talent along with the show too...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-08-24, 21:38   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I could have learned the same thing watching David Lee Roth-era Van Halen or Bon Scott-era AC/DC and get some talent along with the show too...
Ah but neither one of them are cute or fantasy-dateable... nor were they high-schoolers just starting out as beginners when most people first encountered them as recording artists.

Sometimes its good to watch or observe "garage band startups" to imprint the idea that it isn't an infinite gulf between a beginner and Jeff Beck (okay, maybe *nearly* infinite... )

As Yui says.... "wow, you really aren't that good. maybe I *can* do this."
Old 2009-08-28, 10:00   Link #65
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Ironically, when I watched La Corda d'Oro, Beck Mongolian Chop Squad and parts of Nodame Cantabile, I didn't have this urge to play the instruments featured. Maybe because Kahoko Hino's violin is magical, Beck seems too laid-back for me, and classical instruments aren't really my forte.
K-On!, though, showed that playing in a band was an enjoyable experience, despite being unprofessional and downright random, they pulled everything off. I think the lesson isn't how epic your guitar or drum solos you've performed or how popular the instruments you're using. It's enjoying the music and everything that comes along with it.
My two cents.
Ah, I think I understand your view point regarding "musical inspiration".
When I think of inspiration, or at least in the musical sense, it's a sense of awe at how beautiful, intricate, complicated, deep the music sounds to my ears. Usually, this would then compel me to listen to more of the genre and explore different genres related to it. And if it's an instrument I can play, sometimes it makes me aspire to playing as good as that someday, eventually...

I definitely agree that music that isn't fun or not enjoyable to the individual playing it may never sound as good compared to another who loves what he/she does.

So I guess K-On appeals to some because it appears like they are having fun and playing around. I can see how this may be considered as a musical inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah but neither one of them are cute or fantasy-dateable... nor were they high-schoolers just starting out as beginners when most people first encountered them as recording artists.
Sometimes its good to watch or observe "garage band startups" to imprint the idea that it isn't an infinite gulf between a beginner and Jeff Beck (okay, maybe *nearly* infinite... )
As Yui says.... "wow, you really aren't that good. maybe I *can* do this."
Yup, Vexx hit the nail on the head again.

Unfortunate that the closest thing you'll ever get to K-On type girl bands would be those one hit wonder girl rock bands... that I can't even name...
Old 2009-08-28, 23:29   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... like the Bangles? the Go-gos? the Runaways (Joan Jett)? Those weren't one-hit wonders... but yeah, a lot of bands flicker in and out of any kind.

In Japan, mostly ZONE comes to mind but they've retired. Haven't really seen a j-rock band recently that was as skilled at their playing or singing. Recommendations always taken though (Scandal was kind of meh in the youtubes I've seen).
Old 2009-08-28, 23:56   Link #67
MadModBassist
That funky dude himself

Location: Where it's circular on the outside and high in the middle.
Yes, definitely! Almost every Japanese bassist I come across is in inspiration, mainly because they have a unique style that I love trying to emulate. Japanese bassists seem to run up and down the neck like there's no tomorrow, and utilize the minor scale to make a great sound. K-ON!'s music has very good bass, and I've learned the three "major" songs by now (at least most of them in their full versions): Cagayake! Girls (only one I still need work on [bass solo and onward]), Don't Say Lazy, and Fuwa Fuwa Time. So yes!
Old 2009-08-29, 01:19   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Since we're talking about inspirations (or absolute terror), watch this clip of a 9-year old japanese boy on a US talk show. The first couple of minutes is the usual boring talkshow host meets japanese nonsense but when he starts to play....

Also watch it through the end -- they have a surprise for the kid that just knocks his socks off.

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/75883.php

Old 2009-08-30, 16:20   Link #69
ta-kun

Send a message via MSN to ta-kun
Yes, definitely is an inspiration. I took guitar again after a 5yr of not playing because of K-ON! and whenever I see an episode I get the urrrge to play. Of course that's diferent for everyone, but for me it works as magic.

As though for the little kids playing awesomely, I get the full oposite, and I will not watch it or I will not want to play guitar for a couple days. lol
Old 2009-09-15, 18:06   Link #70
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

One of the reasons I wanted to play guitar was because of this series. Just got back from a guitar class at my school.

As my mom and I drove our way home, I mentioned that my middle finger felt squishy after playing the fret. She then said that later on it might get bruised and start to piel.

The things I learn from K-On!
Old 2009-09-15, 19:36   Link #71
Splitpersonality
Amateur Psychomocologist

It sounds dumb, but the basslines from some of the songs have really made me think more about how I play the bass.

The opening theme's bass is just awesome, and it's something I'm stuck on right now, it really helped open my mind to moving around the fretboard as well as slapping and popping.
Old 2009-09-15, 19:50   Link #72
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I've been wanting to pick the guitar up again, but not because of K-On, even though my desire to continue learning coincided with the show's release and popularity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VN-5xyuscQ

This is what made me want to pick up the guitar again.

A whole album of electric guitar drone/ambient would be awesome, and I want to record it.

Kelly Bailey is a genius.
Old 2009-09-18, 04:17   Link #73
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Quote:
In Japan, mostly ZONE comes to mind but they've retired. Haven't really seen a j-rock band recently that was as skilled at their playing or singing. Recommendations always taken though (Scandal was kind of meh in the youtubes I've seen).
Rin Toshite Shigure. (凛として時雨) The band's style resembles post-hardcore and progressive rock, often incorporating rapid changes of tempo and mood based around complex guitar melodies and technical drumming. They utilize both male and female vocals ranging from soft singing to loud wails and screams. They are insanely skilled.

Also I like how Ozzy is just there, suddenly, looking so dry as usual.
Old 2009-09-18, 04:24   Link #74
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I find it silly how can a series about lolis and NOT about music can be musical inspiration.

But then again, a friend of mine began learning martial arts in order to fight like Goku in Dragonball Z... Yes, he was12.

I admit I am inspired to write stories because of some anime. But those would be about a story based on another story. Not music based on... lolis holding a guitar. If it was Beck, ok, I understand that. But K-ON??? Man, lolis are getting more and more mainstream and oust the more realistic series.
Old 2009-09-18, 05:27   Link #75
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

K-on's min cast isn't loli (well, except for Azu-nyan perhaps). They're at least middle school already, so chances are they're beyond adolescent age. >_>
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2009-09-18, 06:26   Link #76
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ Sure, of course, like the cast of Lucky Star they are not lolis. Their looks are just DAMN deceiving. We all know that. No reason to see them otherwise...
Old 2009-09-18, 10:22   Link #77
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Also I like how Ozzy is just there, suddenly, looking so dry as usual.
...right, and Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde play just like Johnny Ramone...

For the record, fuck Jake E. Lee (Who's talented but an egotistical prick) and Ozzy sucks as a frontman; Dio FTW, or you can go the Black Label Society route too...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-09-18, 11:51   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
...right, and Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde play just like Johnny Ramone...

For the record, fuck Jake E. Lee (Who's talented but an egotistical prick) and Ozzy sucks as a frontman; Dio FTW, or you can go the Black Label Society route too...
Ozzy is an icon for a time period, any actual talent is irrelevant

And yeah.... the "loli" label gets whipped around far too easily - tossing it onto art styles almost makes the term meaningless.
Old 2009-09-18, 15:53   Link #79
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Ozzy is an icon for a time period, any actual talent is irrelevant
I know, I still listen to his stuff and enjoy watching his "Live at Budokan" concert DVD, but if Ozzy suddenly became instrumental, I wouldn't mind, especially ever since coming out with "Black Rain"; Talk about selling out...

...and here he was worried about ruining Black Sabbath's reputation with a new Sabbath album...
Old 2009-09-20, 03:38   Link #80
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

rori, I thought we're in K-On as a topic? I was being as on-topic as I can by saying that K-On isn't loli, and here you are throwing Lucky Star in the ruckus. I didn't say anything about Lucky Star. O_o

Closed Thread