AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-08, 18:59   Link #101
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well didn't find it to be anything amazing, but will likely stick with it for a few more episodes at least. Until the question of "what is up with that cat?" is answered .
Old 2008-10-08, 19:09   Link #102
neoeagle

was ok

Nothing special .At least I watched the whole episode.Nothing to look forward too but it is watchable.
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:17   Link #103
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A lot of "nothing special" coming from people is quite a shame, 'cause i really did enjoy the first episode quite a bit. The fluid animation from start to finish is just one of the reasons why i loved the first episode, along with the matching musical score.

Sure it's different from the manga, though like i've already stated in the thread, i'll just treat this as a different story.
Old 2008-10-08, 23:28   Link #104
Midonin
Last Engage

The OP, while heard in the promos, is now set to its proper animation. I think it looks kinda cool.

Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 23:30   Link #105
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The most interesting thing in the world=watching two stiff voices talking to each other

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:18   Link #106
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Ep 1 was watchable lol.
but i hope they go more into being undead and stuff in ep 2.
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 07:31   Link #107
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A lot of "nothing special" coming from people is quite a shame, 'cause i really did enjoy the first episode quite a bit. The fluid animation from start to finish is just one of the reasons why i loved the first episode, along with the matching musical score.

Sure it's different from the manga, though like i've already stated in the thread, i'll just treat this as a different story.
I know, right? All these shows are actually quite above average from what I see and people are quick to shoot them down for whatever reason.

The story was grim enough at times, lighthearted at times and it looks like the mystery can go places and I like the monks' role so far.

As for the production values, apparently Gainax is animating all the quirky scenes and action scenes so far. I don't know if that'll continue indefinitely, but for episode 1, it was nice to see (even if the characters become blob-ified Gainax style).

I think it's a worthy watch myself. I was genuinely excited for several scenes and it got my attention.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 07:44   Link #108
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Finished up the first episode not too bad i see a lot of potential in the series. What sucks is that you know that the girl will probably leave at the end since shes already dead and has to kill a certain amount of Shikabane before going to heaven. Over all i liked the action the guns were a pleasant surprise. I was so sure she was going to be using a sword but the guns are a nice touch. I will most def be sticking with the series. I do see how it could get kind of slow and feel repetitive. Every Shikabane she fights will get stronger and stronger as she gets closer to her goal but i can still this being quite enjoyable.

The animation was fluid from beginning to end i saw nothing i disliked about it the BGM was nice soft yet hard when it needed to be i got kind of gothic feel from it. No complaints about the VA either although i am not a big fan of the lead male's voice but it still works.

I still dont understand the slap at the end i was like WTF he just saved your DAMN you ungrateful #^%^@

good start 8/10
Old 2008-10-09, 08:08   Link #109
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I know, right? All these shows are actually quite above average from what I see and people are quick to shoot them down for whatever reason.
The way i see it, far to many people were comparing this to Gainax's past works, and were hoping for something to completely blow them away. It blew me away in a different sense, because i've been waiting to see what Gainax can do with the characters and setting from the manga, and they did not leave me unimpressed at all.

At first a was a little worried at having Ouri play a bigger part in this adaptation, though thinking more about it and it's something that had to happen. It gives the show more structure to follow a civilians side in all of this, then compared to the manga where it's just Makina & Keisei.
Old 2008-10-09, 08:11   Link #110
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
so I watched ep.1, i wouldn't really call the episode entertaining but it is watchable. I'll stick with the entire series nonetheless, i want to see more of this horrorish atmosphere and see if this goes Kaibutsu Oujo or something.

btw, what's with the cat?
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 08:15   Link #111
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The way i see it, far to many people were comparing this to Gainax's past works, and were hoping for something to completely blow them away. It blew me away in a different sense, because i've been waiting to see what Gainax can do with the characters and setting from the manga, and they did not leave me unimpressed at all.

At first a was a little worried at having Ouri play a bigger part in this adaptation, though thinking more about it and it's something that had to happen. It gives the show more structure to follow a civilians side in all of this, then compared to the manga where it's just Makina & Keisei.
I think a steady pace is what Gainax is aiming for this time and I'm in peace with it too. I honestly wonder why people expect an Evangelion or Gurren Lagann or FLCL out of every Gainax stuff. Cut them a break.

As for the everyday life perspective, you're right. Heck, even with Ouri in there, a lot of the stuff remained pretty mysterious. Hopefully they can build from here. For me, not a total eyeopener like Casshern maybe, but it's still a solid start.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 08:19   Link #112
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I think a steady pace is what Gainax is aiming for this time and I'm in peace with it too. I honestly wonder why people expect an Evangelion or Gurren Lagann or FLCL out of every Gainax stuff. Cut them a break.
A shame to say that people are never going to cut Gainax a break.

Quote:
As for the everyday life perspective, you're right. Heck, even with Ouri in there, a lot of the stuff remained pretty mysterious. Hopefully they can build from here. For me, not a total eyeopener like Casshern maybe, but it's still a solid start.
Oh believe me, if they animated the first chapter from the manga then you'd see a total eyeopener like Casshern.

But yeah there's plenty of mystery left. I'm just hoping they'll leave the reason why Makina fights in the anime. If so then it'll have to mentioned at least by episode three.
Old 2008-10-09, 08:36   Link #113
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

It will be aired between 2 October 2008 to 25 December 2008(only 13 episodes).
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 08:52   Link #114
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
It will be aired between 2 October 2008 to 25 December 2008(only 13 episodes).
Yes we know, and a second series has already been announced.
Old 2008-10-09, 13:54   Link #115
DangerMouse

Can't comment on the story part yet until the subs but skipping around the atmosphere from the visuals is very good once again, I think they are succeeding on what they are going for here. Production values didn't take a nose dive and remain consistent, Makina is animated quite nicely with full shots of her shooting, moving and getting knocked down and the quick beat down the other girl gave at the end martial arts style was quite nice if brief. Action-wise if they truly do get to character-driven fights then I think they've got a potentially great mix between Gainax-style cool animation of Makina's fighting combined with the very unique and interesting way that the action scenes are doing a great job of portraying her unstoppable immortal nature in how she just keeps coming until she succeeds each time she gets knocked down and wounded, different from the usual impervious immortals usually depicted in action scenes.

Is that other girl who was traveling around with Keisei and the monk going to be another fighter we follow?

Enjoyed the OP sequence, not knowing the source, it really did widen the "universe" of the show for me by hinting that it's not going to necessarily stay confined in scope, nor limited to just the main three characters so we might get to know some other supporting characters as well, nor limited to smaller stories, and big things may happen in the future like in most Gainax shows. The song and the visuals really work well together and the stuff going on in the OP makes me excited for where the show might be going.

As someone unfamiliar with the manga, there were also a lot more human characters coming up judging from the OP than I expected since we haven't even had glimpses of them yet (atleast two other pairs of characters, and perhaps the girl who got involved at the end of this episode?). Also the group of villain types in the shadows expanded the possibilities nicely. The OP teases that bigger things are coming so there seems to be plenty of potential.

If I had one nitpick/complaint, it's Ouri, as I expected. Not to mention how much screen time he is getting.

Quote:
I honestly wonder why people expect an Evangelion or Gurren Lagann or FLCL out of every Gainax stuff. Cut them a break.
I think it's because the incredibly kinetic action style established especially in FLCL and Gurren is really infectious, you just want to see more any time they are putting out a new action show. I think currently Shikabane Hime is doing a surprisingly good job of keeping that style of a typical Gaianx gun fight while keeping it in fitting with the darker mysterious theme. The Gainax-like moves and camera-angles of Makina with the atmospheric twilight colors of the fight at the end of episode one had a lot of potential and made the colors of Makina's character look really good. That kind of style with a more dangerous fight later on could be really enveloping. I do admit though as an animation fan, it's hard not to hope for a much longer set piece fight later on in the show once we're fully invested in the characters.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-10-09 at 16:31.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 18:44   Link #116
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 14:12   Link #117
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Wow this anime is awesome
Reminds me of Blood+ Plus a little bit
Old 2008-10-10, 14:21   Link #118
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm still wondering what Ouri is being setup for (hopefully a very big fall). That demon cat is hanging around him for a reason. I really like Kessei.
Old 2008-10-10, 15:12   Link #119
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

First Episode - The Dancing Dead

Yesterday, I'd downloaded and watched the first episode.

Shikabane Hime Aka does a perfect job at not only introducing the main cast but also explaining to a certain extent what are the shikabane.

This anime to me looks like it integrates the real-life atmosphere of Ghost Hunt; coupled with a supernatural mysticism, a la Vampire Princess Miyu, around the Shikabane; and just like Blood+ it sets up a non-human heroine, who is the only one capable of fighting back the unnatural creatures of the dark.

So, far we have Makina, Keisei, and Ouri as the main cast.

After concluding the first episode, I first thought that the show would treat Makina and Ouris' stories separately within each episode, crossing paths at random before the climax. However, I tend to feel that this first episode was proper introduction and that sinister cat initiated Ouri down towards a creepy voyage.

A voyage which will end him with Makina and the shikabane down below.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 17:37   Link #120
SkoolRumble4Ya

The episode is ok so far but I'll stick with it because shows tend to get better after several episodes.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gainax, horror, shounen