AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-07, 15:41   Link #1
Kittie Rose

Steampunk stuff?

I like STEAMPUNK stuff but I'm not into anything in specific. I especially love when Fantasy and Steampunk get combined.

Any ideas?
Old 2007-11-07, 15:55   Link #2
Hikari
Banned

Steampunk is one of my personal favorites too, many of them can be very creative in style and setting yet remain familiar.

Well guess obviously the movie Steamboy must be mentioned, but you probably seen it already.

Many of the Ghibli-Miyazaki movies have steampunk elements, like Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa.

For series, there is Fullmetal Alchemist, pretty steampunk in style, and a good series at that with magic elements.

Last Exile is a well known typical steampunk one as well, including floating cities and the like.

For a wild west steampunk version, Trigun is a classic.
Old 2007-11-07, 16:04   Link #3
Kittie Rose

I've seen FMA and yeah it is a little Steampunk.

By Steampunk I also mean "Magitek" too, kind of like that in FF6. Since it's kinder to the environment!

I really like mechs that have a real steampunk look to them. Ones that are kind of smaller than the Gundam ones by a long shot but are still big and bulky. Kind of like the ones from Megaman X I guess.
Old 2007-11-07, 16:14   Link #4
Hikari
Banned

So you want something featuring mechas but with magic instead of technology behind it along with the usual steampunk world/setting?

Steampunk can be a broad genre but standard steampunk does feature technology, real or not with a pseudo-historical world. Without it, it becomes more pure fantasy fiction but the line between them can be vague.

Escaflowne had mecha and magic but it's been a long while since I saw it.
Old 2007-11-07, 16:32   Link #5
Kittie Rose

I'd like to see something that's kind of like Final Fantasy 6 but an anime, basically. That's my favourite kind of setting.
Old 2007-11-07, 17:53   Link #6
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I really like mechs that have a real steampunk look to them. Ones that are kind of smaller than the Gundam ones by a long shot but are still big and bulky. Kind of like the ones from Megaman X I guess.
You might check out any of the Sakura Wars (Sakura Taisen) TV series, OVA or movies. It's a Taisho Era (early 1900's) fantasy setting with steampunk style mecha and other technology.
Old 2007-11-07, 18:51   Link #7
blewin

Gun x Sword features steam train, airship and mecha. No magic though.
Old 2007-11-10, 10:01   Link #8
Kittie Rose

Anymore suggestions?
Closed Thread