AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-05, 16:14   Link #301
grecefar

In opening and endings the original just destroy this remake.

Nice chapter, is cool to see yahiko shine a little and he has improved.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-05, 17:42   Link #302
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, at least this opening doesn't make my ears bleed.

Good episode for Yahiko. Kaoru is a good teacher, huh?
Old 2023-10-05, 17:46   Link #303
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Nice episode. I actually enjoy this one more than the 96 version. Yahiko doing the works to buy a sakabato someday is actually very understandable reasoning for his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
In opening and endings the original just destroy this remake.
I actually prefer this ED2 than the 96 ED2, surprisingly enough.

But looks like it has become fate for Kenshin anime shows (no matter which version) to have EDs that's better than the OPs.
Old 2023-10-05, 20:53   Link #304
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well its all about Yahiko and finely upping his skills with a sword with a part time job and working with a cute klutz of a girl but got to hand to Kenshin with that nice advice on fight multiple opponents
Old 2023-10-06, 02:52   Link #305
AntonKutovoi

Kenshin and Sano trying to pretend to be cicadas was hilarious .
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-06, 06:40   Link #306
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Nice adaptation of three chapters but I hope they change the visuals of the new opening like Zom 100 did. The song is better but the visuals seem lazy as heck. The ending is better especially for the umbrella that is based on famous illustration.
Spoiler for size:
Old 2023-10-06, 08:58   Link #307
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Nice adaptation of three chapters but I hope they change the visuals of the new opening like Zom 100 did. The song is better but the visuals seem lazy as heck. The ending is better especially for the umbrella that is based on famous illustration.
Spoiler for size:
I think the OP visuals are referencing a scene from the 2nd live-action movie, Kyoto Inferno.

It's a 3D scan of the interior of the Yachiyoza theatre in Yamaga, Kumamoto, which stood in as an Asakusa theatre in the movie.
https://yamaga-tanbou.jp/yachiyoza/

The scene featured Kenshin and the group watching a kabuki play...which portrayed a fictionalised version of his time as Battosai.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...nwLdw&usqp=CAU

They also filmed outside the theatre, transforming it into a busy street.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-06, 10:24   Link #308
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Kenshin and Sano trying to pretend to be cicadas was hilarious .
That was one of my favourites moments of the chapter so I'm glad they kept it in.
Old 2023-10-06, 11:06   Link #309
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Mine too. But then I love this mini-arc and always have.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-12, 13:33   Link #310
Frontier

The show had been pretty tasteful up to this point but here's a panning shot of Kaoru in nothing but a shirt and also a prominent shot of her chest and cleavage in a sarashi. If only Kenshin had walked in on her instead of Yahiko .

Getting dragged into another dojo sure beats shopping for groceries! Though I'm glad Kaoru didn't unwittingly lead Kenshin into a fight, he and Maekawa-sensei have a battle with their eyes and Maekawa realizes Kenshin is the real real .

So Maekawa was friends with Kaoru's dad? And he's using the "swordmsanship sweetheart" to collect new students? Well, it seems like Kaoru appreciates the practice and teaching the students, so it's not without it's benefits for her .

Is there a true future for swordsmanship in Meiji era Japan? That's on the minds of both Kenshin and Maekawa, but also the hulking brute Raijuta (Kenta Miyake!) who barrels through the dojo to challenge Maekawa and his style of swordsmanship. And of course, swordsman that he still is, Maekawa can't refuse him .

Raijuta's even got his own Yahiko in Yutaro, though he's way more subservient to Raijuta and somehow even more smug, especially mocking the dojo for fighting with bamboo swords. Guess Yahiko has his first rival .

Dang, that wasn't even a fight. Not only is Raijuta faster than he looks but equally strong, he hits Maekawa's shoulder dislocating it and then hits him in the face...twice! He would've killed him if Kenshin hadn't intervened. Really sets up just how ruthless he is .

I would like to see Kaoru school this dude...but figures Kenshin is the better choice, and he's not about to let Raijuta fight her. And Kenshin's probably the only one who can keep up, even surviving his secret technique which seems to conjure a blade out of the air .

Kaoru swinging her sword at Sanosuke in frustration was cute, even if his harsh yet honest words were on-point .

So Yutaro comes from a wealthy family of sword exporters who owe their lives to Raijuta? I guess that explains why Yutaro idolizes him so much. But it was pretty satisfying watching his dad scold him, though right when he's prepared to treat his guest hospitably they basically tie him up so they can observe Raijuta. Kid kind of had it coming, but our heroes everybody .

Raijuta wants to restore the ideal of true swordsmanship, even if that means taking down all the "unworthy" schools of swordmanship, which includes those who practice with bamboo blades and don't fight to kill. Even if Kenshin as a swordsman is concerned if there is a future for the blade, he's not about to join a man on a mission to bring back the style of swordplay that begets only violence and death. Of course if he's not on Raijuta's side, that means he's his enemy .
Old 2023-10-12, 15:16   Link #311
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Too bad for that guy, but Kenshin's answer was a given. He's not going to support a plan that would directly target Kaoru and her beliefs. It was those beliefs that helped keep him from turning back into a killer.

Of course it's a tough thing for Kenshin. He can see how things are looking and what the future likely holds for swordsmanship. But he's not going to support a stance that focuses on eliminating everything but swordsmanship that purely exists to kill.

Plus that guy is a bit out of his mind. I get he loves swords and believes in swordsmanship. But someone should let him down easy and tell him that no matter how crazy good he gets with a sword he's not going to be fighting what military hardware is going to be in the future

I do appreciate that Kaoru was one of the only people in that room with the guts to stand up for the dojo. She may not be on that guy's level, but she's willing to make a stand. If she wasn't so utterly straightforward you could wonder if she wasn't trying to manipulate Kenshin to step in. But obviously that's not it. When she wants Kenshin to do something...she's pretty open about it .
Old 2023-10-12, 18:01   Link #312
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've watched the first anime and I've read the manga. I have zero recollection of this arc and this Raijuta dude. Anyway, he seems extremely drunk on his own power and completely delusional. You can make a case for life-giving swords, but life-taking swords were dead the moment the Meiji era started. No one except freaks of nature like Kenshin can compete with western weaponry. And actually, even Kenshin was hopeless before the gatling gun.
Old 2023-10-12, 18:25   Link #313
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've watched the first anime and I've read the manga. I have zero recollection of this arc and this Raijuta dude.
Raijuta was in both, but the 90s anime version of his arc was pretty different from the original manga version. Like how Gohei was made into his own character and given a backstory in the 90s anime as opposed to him just being a dirty work grunt in the manga.
As it has been so far, this remake is more faithful to the manga here.
Old 2023-10-12, 20:42   Link #314
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Isurugi Raijūta is here and raiding Maekawa Miyauchi dojo showing off his skills to a bunch of students by beating up an old man

Well Yahiko got a good eye full and all it cost him is a few bruises
Old 2023-10-12, 21:20   Link #315
grecefar

I do kind of recall raijuta but just that he existed, everything else nothing. He looks pretty strong thought.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 05:55   Link #316
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They've been of a comparable level to me so far, but this time around the 2023 absolutely thrashed the '96 version.
Old 2023-10-13, 06:28   Link #317
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Raijuta was in both, but the 90s anime version of his arc was pretty different from the original manga version. Like how Gohei was made into his own character and given a backstory in the 90s anime as opposed to him just being a dirty work grunt in the manga.
As it has been so far, this remake is more faithful to the manga here.
Oh, I never had any doubt about that. Just saying that guy made zero impression on me.
Old 2023-10-13, 18:31   Link #318
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I only remember Raijuta for what he's going to do in the future which will most likely happen in the next episode & probably after that. I also remember Furuhashi didn't care too much for this arc and it had one of the laziest animation back in 96. Even some filler episodes were animated better than Raijuta episodes.

So yeah, this Remake of Raijuta episode won by a landslide coz the showrunners actually care to make it good despite being the most meh arc in the manga.
Old 2023-10-13, 18:39   Link #319
Frontier

I haven't re-watched it in a while but I remember Yutaro being nicer in the old anime. Could just be mis-remembering .
Old 2023-10-13, 18:54   Link #320
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I haven't re-watched it in a while but I remember Yutaro being nicer in the old anime. Could just be mis-remembering .
You're not wrong, but...

Spoiler for Yutaro: