AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-03, 20:54   Link #121
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I live in the USA. The jobs center I'm doing the work for is in a part of my city mostly populated by and run by people who are "black" (afro-american heritage) and they just think its nice to see someone like her as a mascot character for a change. I happen to think she's cute as well, she's in my rotation of desktop paper for my Ubuntu boxes.
Oh. Next time, put Obama on the wallpapers. Even in Japan, it works. Then again, that's Fukui, Japan, where there's a city named Obama too.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 23:31   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Except... he's not a high tech mascot and doesn't have anything to .................. you don't get it, do you?

Ah well.... for eons in America black-skinned folk would rarely see themselves portrayed in media (commercials, tv, etc) in any positive way. That is very slowly changing (example: a tv series called The Unit). Its only relatively recently I've been seeing inter-racial couples in commercials (and usually they're asian and white).
So, seeing a mascot of technical wizardry who happen to be dark-hued is another clue that being dark isn't automatically some sort of societal negative. Its the little things that improve the attitude. The instructors and the managers were quite excited to find out that Ubuntu-tan was really "legit" (well, as legit as any other Linux mascot in open source land). And they know the very name of the distribution "ubuntu" is Swahili, an African heritage language.

A somewhat parallel example, there are many "no gaijin allowed" spots in Japan -- but understandably its because *enough* of them made a mess that it was just easier to put up the sign than give each one a etiquette test. This makes it rather hard on the ones who are trying to do the right thing - and makes it quite difficult to show the business owner that he is missing out of good customers.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-04 at 01:02.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 04:34   Link #123
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I live in the USA. The jobs center I'm doing the work for is in a part of my city mostly populated by and run by people who are "black" (afro-american heritage) and they just think its nice to see someone like her as a mascot character for a change. I happen to think she's cute as well, she's in my rotation of desktop paper for my Ubuntu boxes.
Great site