AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-13, 18:02   Link #1
Oxtail

Gundam - where to start?

I've always known about the Gundam franchise, but have never watched any of it. Thinking about watching some now, but the vast menu of series stretching many decades has me scratching my head about where to start. I've heard that many of these series occur in alternate universes, which just confuses me more.

It's hard for me to watch older anime, especially sci-fi ones because of the dated animation, but I hesitate to jump into the newest Gundam series for fear that I'm missing all the background.

Given that I'd prefer to watch stuff from 2000 and on, which series should I watch first? Is there a prefered order? Are there series that I should just skip altogether?
Old 2008-05-13, 18:53   Link #2
xplicitz

Gundam 00 is the newest so far, and it's pretty decent. There's the SEED series (Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny being the 2nd season) that has somewhat "up to date" animation but overall, it isn't that great. I'd suggest watching Gundam 00. It's an entire different story so you don't need to watch the previous series to understand the story.
Old 2008-05-13, 19:32   Link #3
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I've always known about the Gundam franchise, but have never watched any of it. Thinking about watching some now, but the vast menu of series stretching many decades has me scratching my head about where to start. I've heard that many of these series occur in alternate universes, which just confuses me more.
The first Gundam series, and many of those that followed, take place in what has become known as the "Universal Century" or UC universe (based on the calendar used). There are a number of other (usually one shot) series set in other universes.

Quote:
It's hard for me to watch older anime, especially sci-fi ones because of the dated animation, but I hesitate to jump into the newest Gundam series for fear that I'm missing all the background.
These alternate universe series have no connection to the UC universe, or to each other, beyond certain recurring themes and character archetypes, so there is not need to watch the original to understand or follow the more recent series.

Quote:
Given that I'd prefer to watch stuff from 2000 and on, which series should I watch first? Is there a prefered order? Are there series that I should just skip altogether?
Given that cut-off date, for full-blown series you are limited to:
  • Turn A Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED & Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Each of these are in their own separate universes, so it does not make any difference which order you watch them in. I have never seen Turn A Gundam but I believe it is very well thought of by most Gundam fans. I have seen SEED and thought it was pretty good, although the sequel, SEED Destiny, was really bad (an opinion shared by many others). Finally, 00 is the current Gundam series. The first 25 episode "season" just ended, and the remaining 25 episode second "season" is due to start later this year. IMO, 00 is one of the best Gundam series to be released in quite a while.
Old 2008-05-13, 21:19   Link #4
james0246

If you are a novice to the series, then start with the original trilogy (I, II, and III). These movies have some very good animation...for their age (the particle effects during explosions are still great). Char's Counterattack has some wonderful animation, but knowledge of at least the original trilogy is required to understand anything in Char's Counterattack. Additionally, the sidestory Gundam 08th MS Team is simply wonderful and requires no real knowledge of the original series

If you really can not get into an "older" series, then mdauben list is a good starting point (I will second Turn A Gundam), also After War Gundam X is pretty good, more strict action than the original series, but still pretty good.
Old 2008-05-13, 21:36   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Depends, if you could stand the animation from the 70's and 80's I say watch from the original then to Zeta, ZZ, CCA, V. If you can't I would say start watching from either G, X, Wing, or Turna A because they are all alternate universe from the original. G, though it is vastly different from other Gundams. Now Turn A if don't like Tomino's(creator of Gundam) style I really say you shouldn't watch it.

The new Gundams are pretty good, Gundam Seed really is just a retelling the story of the original, as the beginning is almost the same as the original Gundam. However the ending itself is quiet different. Now Gundam Seed Destiny I say skip it, it is possibility the worst Gundam ever. 00 is the newest and I say it has been very good and it is quiet refreshing to watch after the crap known as GSD.

The ova 8th MS Team is pretty good, it takes during the time period of original Gundam and you don't really need to watch the original.
The other ova is 0083: Stardust in Memory and this though I suggest you to watch the original and Zeta before watching this. Though I do think it won't hinder your viewing if you skip it.
Old 2008-05-14, 10:04   Link #6
Frans

Just start with Gundam Seed, Seed Destiny, and 00. Despite that a lot of people tell that GSD is bad, but in reality, compared to other animes out there, it's good. The best thing that Gundam Seed and GSD offer is the drama... esp. heroic moments. For the hardcore Gundam fans, maybe it's too much, but for general anime fans, I think they prefer this over 00.

Although Turn A story is good, I don't feel that I'm watching Gundam when I watch Turn A.
Old 2008-05-14, 10:10   Link #7
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Don't About You ...But I Think You Should Watch Gundam Wing First....It Not Very Old Like Other Gundam ...It From 1995
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Old 2008-05-14, 11:08   Link #8
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Well I started off with Gundam Seed then Destiny, then went straight to Gundam 00. After watching these two, you might not want to watch anything before because it will be a major step down as far as animation and character designs. That's how I felt when I saw screenshots of any gundam series before Seed. Just to let you know, so that you aren't majorly disappointed if you watch Seed/00 and then backtrack. As far as storyline, Seed and 00 are its own storyline, so you won't have to worry too much about it.
Old 2008-05-14, 12:37   Link #9
Oxtail

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get started downloading some of the stuff mentioned in this thread.
Old 2008-05-16, 21:59   Link #10
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

everyone who posted in this thread is under 24 years old.

all true gundam fans know you start with 0083.

then you can watch the new stuff. and the old stuff.

after that, go with G-gundam, oh yeah!
Old 2008-05-16, 22:28   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
everyone who posted in this thread is under 24 years old.

all true gundam fans know you start with 0083.

then you can watch the new stuff. and the old stuff.

after that, go with G-gundam, oh yeah!
LOL, What? 0083 makes little sense unless you know about the 1 Year War (detailed in the original series and trilogy as well as 08th MS Team and a few others).

If you want to start with a shorter series (or you do not want to see the trilogy for whatever reason), just watch 08th MS Team. Otherwise, stick too the non-UC series (as you mention G-Gundam, which is certainly unique amongst the Gundam franchise).

(Don't worry, I'm just joking .)

Last edited by james0246; 2008-05-16 at 22:43.
Old 2008-05-17, 00:08   Link #12
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

The only Gundam i suggest are Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam 00. The rest are just too old and you will find the same kind of stories repeated in the 3 i suggested you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Well I started off with Gundam Seed then Destiny, then went straight to Gundam 00. After watching these two, you might not want to watch anything before because it will be a major step down as far as animation and character designs. That's how I felt when I saw screenshots of any gundam series before Seed. Just to let you know, so that you aren't majorly disappointed if you watch Seed/00 and then backtrack. As far as storyline, Seed and 00 are its own storyline, so you won't have to worry too much about it.
Agreed
Old 2008-05-17, 02:16   Link #13
Frans

I think Gundam 08th, G Gundam, and Turn A is different from the other Gundam series.
Gundam Wing is nice if you like flashy Gundam.. especially the Endless Waltz. But unless you're a really Gundam fans, I agree with the previous poster that after watching Seed, Destiny, and 00, it's hard to watch the older series. No matter how good is the UC series (0079,Z,ZZ,Char, etc), it's just too damn old.
Or maybe If you're curious, you could pick up the movie/ova version of those tv series. I think 0079 and Z have a movie/ova version... Even the Z movie (3 part) are out in 2005-2006 (it's remastered with some new animation... it's not going to make the graphic like Seed, but nice enough). Many consider that out of the first three tv series, Z is the best one (and I think so too).
Old 2008-05-17, 03:10   Link #14
MajideTime
Big O! It's showtime!

Start with 0079...the best Gundam series, and the original. The UC Gundam series are miles above the more recent ones (Wing my arse!).
Old 2008-05-17, 08:22   Link #15
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
The only Gundam i suggest are Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam 00. The rest are just too old and you will find the same kind of stories repeated in the 3 i suggested you.
Oh yeah X, G, 8th ms Team, 0083, 0080, Ms Igloo, Char's Counter Attack, and Turn A are so similar to each other, CE Gundams, and 00 .
I really suggest people to get rid off this mentality if it has old animation and the character doesn't look pretty as you want it to be don't watch it. I understand it is a resonable reason for someone to not watch something, however at least give it a chance before you turn it away from it. Also when it comes to animation Destiny was the worst of all Gundam, because it reused scenes so many time and if you watched one battle you already have watched them all, literally.
Old 2008-05-17, 09:44   Link #16
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Oh yeah X, G, 8th ms Team, 0083, 0080, Ms Igloo, Char's Counter Attack, and Turn A are so similar to each other, CE Gundams, and 00 .
I really suggest people to get rid off this mentality if it has old animation and the character doesn't look pretty as you want it to be don't watch it. I understand it is a resonable reason for someone to not watch something, however at least give it a chance before you turn it away from it. Also when it comes to animation Destiny was the worst of all Gundam, because it reused scenes so many time and if you watched one battle you already have watched them all, literally.

Quote:

Hmm... he did ask our opinion and from my point of view G00, GS & GSD are good enough to represent the gundam series nowadays. They are more up to date animations, the plots arent bad at all and he wont be missing anything.

All those Gundam series you mentioned may have some good stories but compared to the pain of having to watch those animations i rather choose something else... you mentioned that i should "change my mentality that if an anime has old animation and the characters doesnt look pretty then i shoudnt watch it".... as far as i know if those are indeed my preferences then there is no reason for me to watch something i dont like. After all we are talking about anime... it is something you have fun with.
Old 2008-05-17, 10:10   Link #17
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Hmm... he did ask our opinion and from my point of view G00, GS & GSD are good enough to represent the gundam series nowadays. They are more up to date animations, the plots arent bad at all and he wont be missing anything.

All those Gundam series you mentioned may have some good stories but compared to the pain of having to watch those animations i rather choose something else... you mentioned that i should "change my mentality that if an anime has old animation and the characters doesnt look pretty then i shoudnt watch it".... as far as i know if those are indeed my preferences then there is no reason for me to watch something i dont like. After all we are talking about anime... it is something you have fun with.
Out of context ftl! I suggest to get rid offyour mentality. I also said it was understandable and I only said to give it a chance to watch old animes. Those old animes are not bad as you think, at first I thought like you thinking that old animes will be unbearable to watch because of their age. But after I watched the UC Gundams and lot of animes from the 80's my opinion on old animes changed greatly. Also the animation on both CE series are mediocre to crap, really how many time can they used the same animation over and over and over and over and over. Out of the new Gundam series only one that has great animation is 00.
Old 2008-05-17, 13:43   Link #18
Frans

From my very subjective pov, I think 0079 is way too old (according to anidb it's made in 1979), and although the story is good enough, if I have limited time to watch animes and I have to watch some Gundam series, and I have to choose between the UC series vs Seed series + 00, I definitely choose the latter. My brother is watching Seed, Seed Destiny, and 00, but when I watch the older Gundam series (including Turn A), he isn't interested at all. The only older Gundam show he's interested is Gundam Wing.
If the original poster had enough free time, then it wouldn't hurt to try a couple episodes of those old series. If not, then don't force it. I think there's a lot of good enough anime that have been made post year 2000 that you can watch good quality anime without having to resort to watching something that's old/very old.

and a bit OOT here...

Apparently since I have to much free time, I already watched most of the Gundam series. The big one that I haven't watch is G Gundam... but if I ran out most of the new anime, then I definitely want to try watching that for completion sake... or maybe I'm just curious on how bad it can be as a Gundam and how good/bad it is if compared to other anime outside of the Gundam universe
Closed Thread