AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-08-04, 17:57   Link #841
fsck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
I'm going to answer this here,since it's about Miyuki,lol,Miyuki already casted Cocytus on a mass of people and she managed to only hit hostiles and even Erika commented on her ability to hit only enemies.Mayumi just presumed that Miyuki might hit allies.
no, I think Mayumi was worried that friendlies would be left defenseless due to Miyuki's interference strength drowning them out in the event that miyuki misses an enemy or they need to defend themselves from physical phenomena (projectiles and what not)

Quote:
"Do you want the Magic Association members' magic to fail as
well!?"
Miyuki's favored magic targeted whole areas. Magic with weak
interference strength would fizzle away when Miyuki unleashed her
magic. If she could identify each individual situation, then she might
be able to differentiate them enough to avoid interfering with allied
magic
, but Mayumi considered this to be impossible at a range where
men looked to be the size of ants.
Quote:
Mari unleashed magic against the irregulars who launched the surprise
attack.
However, her magic was drowned in the overpowering interference
strength that covered the scene and fizzled
they all saw cocytus so they should have realized that she can wipe out enemies.
If even Mari couldn't cast magic in the area, no typical magician should be able to either
fsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-17, 23:34   Link #842
BalorView

Cover of Vol 18

Spoiler:
BalorView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 02:58   Link #843
Hk1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalorView View Post
Cover of Vol 18

Spoiler:
Looks like fanart, most likely is.
Hk1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 18:43   Link #844
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
something's been bugging me, in Vol 1. when Miyuki attacked with magic Tatsuya out of jealously after he did maintenance on her CAD struck me as odd since its OOC for her to raise her hand against him. Seemed to me the only purpose of the scene was to introduce Tatsuya's auto heal and no other purpose. Big inconsistency to me since its kinda sad where the author pulls something like this just to give out a snippet to show how "mysterious" the MC is
Old 2015-10-23, 22:28   Link #845
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
something's been bugging me, in Vol 1. when Miyuki attacked with magic Tatsuya out of jealously after he did maintenance on her CAD struck me as odd since its OOC for her to raise her hand against him. Seemed to me the only purpose of the scene was to introduce Tatsuya's auto heal and no other purpose. Big inconsistency to me since its kinda sad where the author pulls something like this just to give out a snippet to show how "mysterious" the MC is
It was mentioned in the text that that is how they play with each other especially when she knows it won't do anything to him.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 22:37   Link #846
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Then again, it only happened once....

Definitely for showing off his immortality. Bad writing right there, sacrificing consistency for shadowing is a bad move in my book.
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-
bietchie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 22:42   Link #847
FLS_Carnage

Seeing as it was in the first book I'd just write it off as her character not being fully formed yet. It isn't really that uncommon for characters to act differently in the beginning of the series than they do later on, it happens a lot with television.
FLS_Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 23:10   Link #848
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
Then again, it only happened once....

Definitely for showing off his immortality. Bad writing right there, sacrificing consistency for shadowing is a bad move in my book.

Im pretty sure it happened once because they got other shit to worry about in later volumes that are more worth writing about.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 23:56   Link #849
Aika Natsume

I thought Miyuki casted cocytus without a CAD, how would the others know she casted cocytus?
When she casted it, it was before their revealing plot about being Yotsuba, and their classmates or people who felt it never even bothered asking themselves about the mysterious power?

Im sorry im not really good with the magic stuff so could someone please enlighten me if im wrong.

When Miyuki casted cocytus, is there anybody who guessed it was mental interference magic? Coz if so wouldnt that make them a little bit related to Yotsuba?

During the 9 sc, Miyuki used inferno and niflheim with absolute ease, so did the committee search for her blood line? was she that amazing or was it because of the engineering Tats used in her CAD?
Aika Natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 03:40   Link #850
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aika Natsume View Post
I thought Miyuki casted cocytus without a CAD, how would the others know she casted cocytus?
When she casted it, it was before their revealing plot about being Yotsuba, and their classmates or people who felt it never even bothered asking themselves about the mysterious power?

Im sorry im not really good with the magic stuff so could someone please enlighten me if im wrong.

When Miyuki casted cocytus, is there anybody who guessed it was mental interference magic? Coz if so wouldnt that make them a little bit related to Yotsuba?

During the 9 sc, Miyuki used inferno and niflheim with absolute ease, so did the committee search for her blood line? was she that amazing or was it because of the engineering Tats used in her CAD?
Because magicians have Eidos senses to detect magic when activated, it doesn't matter if it's with a CAD or not. Only Erika thoughts were written in volume 7 but Lina guessed it, Erika didn't. Mental interference is not exclusive to Yotsuba, Azusa is the first character who displayed it in the story, Zhou and other ancient magicians did too.

How people never really asked Miyuki about her background despite her openly displaying her skills always surprised me.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 11:40   Link #851
pyramidekheops

Miyuki must curse the author's picture !!!!
pyramidekheops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 20:53   Link #852
Aika Natsume

Maybe because people of the magic world never really cared about strong student magicians that arent part of the TMC, to them those talented magicians doent really matter because TMC is the stronger bloodline. In short they cared about bloodline.

Miyuki's genes could make millions of money for the Yotsuba.
Old 2015-10-25, 20:46   Link #853
tansun

Location: Where the Sands of Time shift and the rain of Fate fall
Quote:
Maybe because people of the magic world never really cared about strong student magicians that arent part of the TMC, to them those talented magicians doent really matter because TMC is the stronger bloodline. In short they cared about bloodline.

well you'll have to remember that the Yotsuba never marry outside the family to keep their mental interference genes for themselves, i seriously doubt Maya will allow the genes of the clan's most powerful magician of her generation for all to use.

and its not like they're strapped for cash as Tatsuya under the identity Taurus Silver makes more than enough cash to keep the Yotsuba afloat.
tansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 20:54   Link #854
Echizen777

Quote:

They always seek for talented magician though so it'd not be enough, even Yotsuba brainwash magicians to have more members.When Tatsuya beat Masaki, Katsuto invited him to join the TMC, thinking that he was from a normal family. Such events never happen with Miyuki, even Honoka estimated her talent comparable to the Master Clans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tansun View Post
well you'll have to remember that the Yotsuba never marry outside the family to keep their mental interference genes for themselves, i seriously doubt Maya will allow the genes of the clan's most powerful magician of her generation for all to use.

and its not like they're strapped for cash as Tatsuya under the identity Taurus Silver makes more than enough cash to keep the Yotsuba afloat.
It's never been said. And I doubt they'd do so since it'd cause inbreeding problems on the long term. Maya was going to marry Koichi, Miya married a normal magician and Katsushige will marry his Guardian, when they said Miyuki would have a fiancé it was never implied that it'd be from the Yotsuba. Genes decide of your talent in magic but they are not everything, all Yotsuba get an unique ability anyway.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 22:36   Link #855
FLS_Carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
They always seek for talented magician though so it'd not be enough, even Yotsuba brainwash magicians to have more members.When Tatsuya beat Masaki, Katsuto invited him to join the TMC, thinking that he was from a normal family. Such events never happen with Miyuki, even Honoka estimated her talent comparable to the Master Clans.

It's never been said. And I doubt they'd do so since it'd cause inbreeding problems on the long term. Maya was going to marry Koichi, Miya married a normal magician and Katsushige will marry his Guardian, when they said Miyuki would have a fiancé it was never implied that it'd be from the Yotsuba. Genes decide of your talent in magic but they are not everything, all Yotsuba get an unique ability anyway.
By marry outside the family I think he meant that Yostuba aren't allowed to marry into another family. Outsiders can be brought into the Yotsuba, but Yotsuba can't go to another family. The Yotsuba started secluding themselves after Maya's kidnapping and don't publicly disclose their members, so I don't think it'd be possible for the other families to arrange marriages with them.
FLS_Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 23:39   Link #856
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
The case of Miya and Koichi, is the only one we know off where the Yotsubas planned on marrying one of their own members out to another clan, the Saegusas. And that was before the Nightmare, before the Yotsubas went to ground and hid the identity of their branch families.

Miya's case was an outsider marrying into the Yotsuba clan. And Katsushige and Kotona arguably is a case of marrying within the Yotsuba clans orbit, and something that seems to have had broad support, or at least tolerance within most of the Clan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLS_Carnage View Post
By marry outside the family I think he meant that Yostuba aren't allowed to marry into another family. Outsiders can be brought into the Yotsuba, but Yotsuba can't go to another family. The Yotsuba started secluding themselves after Maya's kidnapping and don't publicly disclose their members, so I don't think it'd be possible for the other families to arrange marriages with them.
Think of the Yotsubas like the Roach motel. You can marry into the Yotsuba clan but you can't marry out. But the Yotsubas are probably not going to allow one of their own scions from marrying out into another clan, not even a peer Ten Master clan. Miyuki's genes might be worth millions by itself (without considering Tatsuya), and Tatsuya's genes are priceless national assets - and the grand irony of it all is that Miyuki was constructed as the Safety/Controls over a living Weapon of Mass Destruction.

I do believe that Mayumi did wonder about the background of the siblings in the LNs. Kuroba knows that both siblings are Yotsuba. I would not be surprised if the Ichijou and Jummonji had similar suspicions along the lines of Mayumi's internal musings over the siblings, but were never able to prove it. It's just that we never had their internal PoVs, and I think that Mayumi was meant to be a snapshot representation of the thought processes of much of the Ten MCs who were aware of the siblings and their powers. It's just that they run into Yotsuba information controls.

Last edited by novalysis; 2015-10-25 at 23:50.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 01:49   Link #857
amtro
Distro

Volume 5, inquiring about such things as one's linage is seen as strictly taboo.
Old 2015-10-26, 08:36   Link #858
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Think of the Yotsubas like the Roach motel. You can marry into the Yotsuba clan but you can't marry out. But the Yotsubas are probably not going to allow one of their own scions from marrying out into another clan, not even a peer Ten Master clan. Miyuki's genes might be worth millions by itself (without considering Tatsuya), and Tatsuya's genes are priceless national assets - and the grand irony of it all is that Miyuki was constructed as the Safety/Controls over a living Weapon of Mass Destruction.
If we're just talking about genes, I don't think Tatsuya's genes are nearly as valuable. In the end his powers are the result of the collective wishes of the entire clan, which in itself became a sort of mental interference magic. They're truly unique and I doubt they'd pass on, such as they are.
Miyuki on the other hand is a modified magician taken to perfection. Of course, this also means that there's a lot that will not pass on from her to to her children but less so than in Tatsuya's case.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 10:31   Link #859
Aika Natsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeborg View Post
If we're just talking about genes, I don't think Tatsuya's genes are nearly as valuable. In the end his powers are the result of the collective wishes of the entire clan, which in itself became a sort of mental interference magic. They're truly unique and I doubt they'd pass on, such as they are.
Miyuki on the other hand is a modified magician taken to perfection. Of course, this also means that there's a lot that will not pass on from her to to her children but less so than in Tatsuya's case.
Speaking of modified...

Miyuki is a modified magician but still a natural born Yotsuba right? I think her cocytus is her own unique magic. The modified part is her to become the limiter of Tatsuya and to bear his children i guess? I dont know about her immense talent in magic, was it because of modification or just pure talent from the Yotsuba genes.

Did Miya actually showed motherly love to Miyuki? Other than always reminding Miyuki that she would become the head of the Yotsuba... -.-
Old 2015-10-26, 11:16   Link #860
Zeborg

Quote:
Speaking of modified...

Miyuki is a modified magician but still a natural born Yotsuba right? I think her cocytus is her own unique magic. The modified part is her to become the limiter of Tatsuya and to bear his children i guess? I dont know about her immense talent in magic, was it because of modification or just pure talent from the Yotsuba genes.

Did Miya actually showed motherly love to Miyuki? Other than always reminding Miyuki that she would become the head of the Yotsuba... -.-
Cocytus is from her Yotsuba genes but her overwhelming talent and ability with every aspect in magic is largely because of her modified genes. Not to say that she would be weak at all, but her power level would probably be more comparable to the other head candidates, with her being a little stronger, without her being modified.

Her being modified as Tatsuya's limiter is more about making her strong enough to be able to do such a thing, and just making her have mental interference magic. To be able to stop Tatsuya, she had to be perfect. That her genes are different enough for their children to not be affected just means that the gene manipulation that they did on her was so extensive that they're no longer closely related on a genetical level. Maya and Miya, most likely had differing ideas about Tatsuya and Miyuki's relationship even though they both agreed that Tatsuya and Miyuki should be inseparable. So that part about Tatsuya's and Miyuki's relation was most likely a "convenient coincidence".

I think Miya genuinely loved Miyuki, all the more even, because she wasn't able to love Tatsuya. Miyuki also seemed to love and respect Miya, and they seemed to have a close relationship.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote