AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-03, 23:18   Link #19201
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
I could shrink it back to one K... but two has a nice ring to it. A solid 1 K radius sounds too mechanical in terms of firepower. I'll leave the final word up to you guys on where to set it. But it should be exceptionally powerful enough to leave the Epic level AWESOME in the scene.
It can be 985m if you want, or 1182m

Quote:
Now the make-or-break thing is going to be, is it acceptable, for in a space of five to six seconds, to discharge 7 X the energy Hayate discharged in a ten to fifteen minute period? Not counting difference in effects between the two?
I can nit your argument, but let's summarize your request this way: If he discharged the same energy in 5 seconds that Hayate discharged over 10 minutes, you are talking 120x the power... Two orders of magnitude. 7x makes it 840x, closer to 3 orders of magnitude. Still think your request sounds reasonable?

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2008-02-04 at 03:18.
Old 2008-02-03, 23:21   Link #19202
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
Although the idea does sound somewhat interesting, there are several problems. One, this OC has a device that can fire a shot that can destroy anything within 2km radius and 15K secondary zone of destruction? And a range that should be at least equal that? And did you even take into account AMF? If you did, what the hell are you smoking and why aren't you sharing.

Two, I can't see how the attack would even work in the first place. Iirc, the initial shot does nearly nothing. Its the secondary effect that does the damage. How does the secondary effect of spatial distortion and a subsequent annihilating reaction even gets generated in the middle of an AMF where the effects of said AMF is strongest?

Third, how is the situation even dire enough to warrant such action to be taken? I don't see any reason whatsoever to justify this. There are still plenty of options to be taken and sacrificing a mage in this situation is the stupidest option (No offense) I can think of.

As for recommended reads, I suggest, Nightengale's if you want something good, USB500's (Lone Wolf Neo on ff.net) The Sleeping Lyrical and Magical Girl Lyrical Cinderella for crack, PhoenixFlare's stuff is also good. For OCs try Keroko, Aaron008R, Lowegear, FlameSparkZ, Kagerou and Wild Goose. You can also try Tormenk's Katrina and Satty's Betrüger for villains.
The scene is in no way Awesome. If you want awesome, I suggest you read this Part XIV Verse Finality ~ Ender’s Nightmare by Nightengale.

Shame on us for making you work? I say shame of you to ignore advice, not do research and generally trying you get your way despite objections (Don't worry, I get that way too.)
You know, I didn't expect you to say that. Have you tried death via nose bleeds?
I completely agree on this...

Is it just me or am i seeing a trend of "Superiorization" of common, real world (Terran) weapons/systems against the Mid/Velkan type magic that is supposed to be the focal point and reality of the universe we're working on- not to mention it was supposed to be superior, and had it's own laws concerning the how and why (much like Terran Laws of Physics- which pretty much affects that world in a way, though the "Laws of Magic" are more superior in the Nanohaverse's context) and ethics as well- thus making application of Terran Ethics almost like trying to fit a square circle into a round hole, with only rocket scientists and almost no materials...

True that the forms allow endless variations of what is a "weapon", but what I'm seeing here is that there are some ideas here which completely throw away the magic factor and use Terran (us) conventionals instead- whatever magic factor that remains is almost purely whimsy or simply an attempt at loopholing.

And Yes... we tried to kill him with nosebleeds... that didn't work.

@ Thread: sorry for deleting my post- just found the words to add and the spot it was placed was not too good

Uhm... once again another friendly reminder.

Keep your tech discussions out of the OC room... that includes math, any form of argument between which is better, a gun or a staff and related items...

*points towards tech room*
Old 2008-02-03, 23:40   Link #19203
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

For a short preview, the tale of two brother's tainted love over a lady is certainly a CLASSIC, yet so profoundly epic as well. Like how you made the actual events ambigious, as per most myths and legends

Looking forward to the rest of Lyrical Melancholy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This is one of those trailers that makes one very curious because you dont have the full picture. More please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, looks definately interesting. Can't wait to see more!
Thanks for the comments. This was one of the pieces salvaged out of the wreckage that was the Infinite Library debacle.

I'm not used to writing in mythical style, so I'm not sure if it came across the way I wanted it to, which was like, well, the narration for a backstory of a movie, as read by some deep-voiced actor like Tony Jay (voice of Megabyte in ReBoot, and slightly more famously the opening narrations for the WoW races) or some such.

I had to cheat a little by using "we" and "us", which makes it sound a bit more like the storyteller at the hearth, rather than the scribe writing it down objectively. Involving the audience, rather than the "proper" mythical style of simply telling the story without the subtle "and you could be a part of this too!" Like I said, I'm not used to writing in mythical style.

In short: I'm not entirely happy with the style of how it turned out, so comments are welcome. However, this will not even turn up in an actual story (the events will be referenced, but the actual text will not), so it is entirely probable that all the effort will be for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Saint X: Honestly, it can fit in... AND I APPROVE IT, TOTALLY.

No one has even dared make any legends/myths about Midchilda, well not me since TK said that it was undesirable, forcing me to shelve all of my Myths/Legends (which I already have a somewhat solid timeline/frame) until I can throw them into my work instead...

Looking forward to working with you on the Myths/Legends department...
Since I believe that having to explain a piece of work spoils the impact, I'll leave the following notes on why I wrote that passage under a spoiler cut.

Spoiler for Completely boring and spoilery notes:

In short: I don't mind writing more myths/legends, but I'll probably not be doing it much of my own accord for various reasons.

Also, I wasn't around when Tk made his interdiction against myths/legends, so I don't know what objections he might have.

Quote:

Keep your tech discussions out of the OC room... that includes math, any form of argument between which is better, a gun or a staff and related items...

I've always been unsure about where to post my questions and ramblings. On the one hand, they're inquiring about the canon, and asking for minds better than my own to extrapolate what we see into what we know, albeit commonly with what is known as "fanwank". This is well-suited for the Magic And Tech thread.

On the other hand, my only interest in the answer is in how it applies to my original creations. For example, I really don't care about the exact size of the Infinite Library (other than "looks very big"), but stuff like where it is I care about very much. Sometimes I ask "what if things are like this, would it contradict canon?" (for example, this very post), which seems to work better here, being that it's about original creations.

And if I ask "so could Ivey really specialize in binds", should it be under Magic And Tech (asking about the magic system) or OC (asking about an original character)?

Would help if a mod or some other person in authority could explain this aspect of the rules better. I mean, I don't want to post something in the Magic And Tech thread and get yelled at for speculating too much into OC territory.
Old 2008-02-04, 00:01   Link #19204
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:

Did you try the cuteness overload method yet?

I find that, when in doubt: High dosage of Kilowaii is always a sure bet.

Unless you're Excel Excel
Old 2008-02-04, 00:03   Link #19205
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Would help if a mod or some other person in authority could explain this aspect of the rules better. I mean, I don't want to post something in the Magic And Tech thread and get yelled at for speculating too much into OC territory.
Frankly, the only threads really alive on a regular basis right now is the OC, FanFiction, Image and to a lesser extent the Music, Merchandise and manga threads. All other threads are basically screaming for attention and would hardly mind any vaguely related tangent.
Old 2008-02-04, 00:17   Link #19206
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Right, haxx-discussion aside...

Spoiler for Vivio?:

Oops, forgot defensive spells.
Old 2008-02-04, 00:35   Link #19207
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Quote:

Not even that worked...

It has killed off more forumers than OCs... check the archives of test results somwhere in this thread..

Yes, all the Kilokawaii and Moegatons that we can chuck in...

It's always this question that ends up being asked...

Andrei: Do you have more?
Old 2008-02-04, 00:43   Link #19208
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Lowe... I will also need your services with that image... And I will pay you gladly with more treasures...

BTW, how is the first shipment?
What services?

And first shipment is... YEEEERY YEEEEEES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X
In more ways than one, Earth will be screwed unless the Super Sentais unite to defend it~

The entire thread stares at him...
*stares*

Suddenly getting the urge to post this video. If the badguys fear one Super Sentai group... how about all of their mecha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X
We are having too much of those mirror moments ne?

There has been a Dei legend of mirrors being unlucky- so much so that identical twins were considered a bad omen- just look what happened to Bridget!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Even I can't find a feasible way of killing him off. Closest I ever got to it, Ginga went and "Prince-Charming'd" him back to life.

Go figure what that means. >_>/<_<
Only Ginga has the ability to kill him, and revive him at the same time with pretty much the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
At least I'll pwnzor more baddies in badass-ness before Ai does me in for a short while. After all, I don't mind getting pwn'd by Ai as I get to see her in her full glory...

...some kind of death wish.
You go to hell in the end anyway... but not before having a glimpse of 'heaven'

*Runs from flaming chariot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
Exactly. The only problem is that I find Nagi trying to do an airy interpretation of Mai's voice... jarring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
I'll take the Latter.

*RUNS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
Now even Nighty never saw that pairing coming...

!!!

WHAAAT?! ARISA/MAI IS GONNA KISS HIRO??!

USODAAA!!!

*RUNS*
*looks at Mai's burning fury*

... Kha, you better run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
Be my guest, Comrade General.
DA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
SOmething like:

Unagiri von Brauhmuhl: Why do you...
Arisa Bannings: ...sound like...
Mai of the Future: me...?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
In short: I'm not entirely happy with the style of how it turned out, so comments are welcome. However, this will not even turn up in an actual story (the events will be referenced, but the actual text will not), so it is entirely probable that all the effort will be for nothing.
Well, the piece could be used as a quick ref to the story as a whole, it'd be a waste if you were to not use it now.

Quote:

We have. Lots of times.

And the term we use here in OC would be the "Moegaton"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post

Spoiler for Vivio?:

Seems like 14-year old Vivio's a mix of both Fate and Nanoha there... lightning spells asides from the standard busters, and melee and ranged spells? It seems like Vivio will have a lot in common with Keroko-chan in terms of fighting style there

Though that part about Vivio as a brawler ("prefers using fists") is

Quote:
Not even that worked...

It has killed off more forumers than OCs... check the archives of test results somwhere in this thread..

Yes, all the Kilokawaii and Moegatons that we can chuck in...

It's always this question that ends up being asked...

Andrei: Do you have more?
Exactly

Do you have more?

*runs*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-04, 00:57   Link #19209
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
I completely agree on this...

Is it just me or am i seeing a trend of "Superiorization" of common, real world (Terran) weapons/systems against the Mid/Velkan type magic that is supposed to be the focal point and reality of the universe we're working on- not to mention it was supposed to be superior, and had it's own laws concerning the how and why (much like Terran Laws of Physics- which pretty much affects that world in a way, though the "Laws of Magic" are more superior in the Nanohaverse's context) and ethics as well- thus making application of Terran Ethics almost like trying to fit a square circle into a round hole, with only rocket scientists and almost no materials...

True that the forms allow endless variations of what is a "weapon", but what I'm seeing here is that there are some ideas here which completely throw away the magic factor and use Terran (us) conventionals instead- whatever magic factor that remains is almost purely whimsy or simply an attempt at loopholing.

@ Thread: sorry for deleting my post- just found the words to add and the spot it was placed was not too good

This is tricky since when discussing characters, we tend to discuss all aspects of said character which includes his device/s (Tech) and spells (Magic) and moving parts of posts here and there makes it rather difficult to keep track of things but that's just me. Like dkellis said, a mod to clarify stuff would help alot.
Quote:

If death via nose bleeds did not work, kawaii overload wouldn't kill Tais. Then again, if it works, Renji (Yes, Reiji, I know I spelt your name wrongly but this time its on purpose ) would be very happy I think. His signature would fit perfectly into this scenario
Spoiler for 'Tais's death':
Sorry about using your signature without asking Reiji
Old 2008-02-04, 01:32   Link #19210
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Quote:
What services?

And first shipment is... YEEEERY YEEEEEES
I need a shop... do you still have the base Image that Nanoha, without the Alterations? we can start from there.

due to traffic in and out of Aqua, shipments will now be limited to 1 per certain number of days

shipments 6-8/10 are not refined like 1-5... and 9 is still missing, i still have to collect for shipments 11-12... which you know contains "that"...

Quote:
*stares*

Suddenly getting the urge to post this video. If the badguys fear one Super Sentai group... how about all of their mecha?

lol

Quote:
YES IT DOES COMPUTE...

Quote:
Exactly

Do you have more?

*runs*
*runs from the impending flood of blood*

And yes, I'm elevating Akari to -sama status.

And yes... I'll be playing an Aqua Sonata in FF.net soon...
Old 2008-02-04, 01:34   Link #19211
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

The latest on the CLANNAD front:

WTF IS WITH THE EVANGELION-ESQUE SUMMER UNIFORMS?! Now I'm seeing Asuka in Kyou's shoes, not to mention Kotomi reminds me of Rei somehow...

And Kotomi-chaaan~~~ You're... Soo...

*flatlines*

Quote:
You know, I didn't expect you to say that. Have you tried death via nose bleeds?
Quote:
Only Ginga has the ability to kill him, and revive him at the same time with pretty much the same thing
Like what Lowe said, the very thing that kills him could just as well revive him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post

Spoiler for Vivio?:

...Fists?

Apart from the Fate-mama bits (I stick firmly to Fate coming to leave Vivio in the arms of Yuuno and Nanoha. :3), it fits most of the time. I always theorized that Vivio'd:

- Grow up to be a tsundere, while you see her "twin" Sak-chan turning into Konata.
- Grab a device from Aurion someday. Everyone does from the Oji-san.
- Tsunderes are unstable, though I never guess it'll be Nanoha's fault.

As for the rest...

BEHOLD!

THE SLAYER OF SUNWELL!
THE MESSENGER OF MEDIVH!
THE SHAMAN OF LIGHT AND PALADIN OF NATURE!
THE EMBODIMENT OF THE SECOND SUNDERING!
THE ASHBRINGER!

I GIVE YOU! THE GOD EMPRESS OF NEW BELKA!

ZEIG HEIL VIVIO!
LONG LIVE THE KAISER!!!

?????: Oh looks what you've done. You've gone and spoilt everything!

*runs*
Quote:
You go to hell in the end anyway... but not before having a glimpse of 'heaven'

*Runs from flaming chariot*
Mai-chaaan~~ <3

*soul is dragged behind the boat to Hell*

Quote:
Does that for you too huh?

In other news, Kotomi-chaan~~ (<3)'s voice reminds me of Minami Noto's.

Quote:
*looks at Mai's burning fury*

... Kha, you better run
*throws Exia Hiro at Throne Drei Mai, making sure their faces meet*

*then RUNS out of Hell again*

Quote:
If death via nose bleeds did not work, kawaii overload wouldn't kill Tais. Then again, if it works, Renji (Yes, Reiji, I know I spelt your name wrongly but this time its on purpose ) would be very happy I think. His signature would fit perfectly into this scenario
Spoiler for 'Tais's death':
Sorry about using your signature without asking Reiji

SO... The next big movie Mr Scien is gonna star in is Tais Must Die, starring Jiet Li () as Tais?
Old 2008-02-04, 01:43   Link #19212
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quick! Send in our Specialist! Martin! Send in... Him.

"Yessir!" "Deploying special forces unit Von Strangle!"

"Now you will taste the wrath... of my AWESOME FAIRY POWER!"

Quick Kha! Hide behind him! It might buy you about four seconds!

EDIT:

Spoiler for more:

Edit AGAIN:

Funny scene in my head. Too punny to pass up.

*LIME AI comes over the Intercom...*

LIME: Hey hey HEY! This is Lime shouting out to everyone on base. Listen up! I have an announcement! You listening? Good! Okay! Would test pilot unit one CRASH, and Unit two FOX, please report to TICTOCC immediately? CRASH, FOX, report to TICTOCC, Tick-tock tick-tock! The Clock is ticking, hurry and report to TICTOCC! Heheheheh.... This is Lime, signing off.

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2008-02-04 at 02:37. Reason: More stuff to type.
Old 2008-02-04, 03:17   Link #19213
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

As I said, I'll continue to scenes as they finish, and then put the final result in the fanfiction thread. As the story picks up, the scenes will get longer, rather than these little introduction scenes that you're getting. So, here's Maho Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Alpha, Episode I, Scene II:

Spoiler for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Alpha, Episode 1, Scene 2:

So... anyone think that maybe I set Tesla's rank too high, or maybe Hayate's? It is eight years later, but if general consensus is to lower it, then I will.

Last edited by Kagerou; 2008-02-04 at 03:47.
Old 2008-02-04, 03:29   Link #19214
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Normandy... A ship name that just ASKS for ship-to-ship boarding action.

Can't say much on the ranks... Rear Admiral and Brig. General sound about right if they have charge of say, a Post apiece. (Battlegroup in the case of the admiral, and a military base in the case of the general.)
Old 2008-02-04, 03:44   Link #19215
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Quote:
Normandy... A ship name that just ASKS for ship-to-ship boarding action.

Can't say much on the ranks... Rear Admiral and Brig. General sound about right if they have charge of say, a Post apiece. (Battlegroup in the case of the admiral, and a military base in the case of the general.)
Both were in charge of a small defence fleet and GF battlegroup, respectively. Aurion called them in because of A: The scene above and B: Their experience in dealing with Lost Logia in general (Thanks to Yami no Sho, JS Incident, RF6...)
Old 2008-02-04, 03:55   Link #19216
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

So long as one remembers that the high level military ranks, especially officer ranks, are remembered to be limited opening positions. It's all good. Generals and Admirals are Leadership JOB positions. Usually fleet commanders, post commanders, and special department heads.
Old 2008-02-04, 04:15   Link #19217
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Quick! Send in our Specialist! Martin! Send in... Him.

"Yessir!" "Deploying special forces unit Von Strangle!"

"Now you will taste the wrath... of my AWESOME FAIRY POWER!"

Quick Kha! Hide behind him! It might buy you about four seconds!

EDIT:

Spoiler for more:

Edit AGAIN:

Funny scene in my head. Too punny to pass up.

*LIME AI comes over the Intercom...*

LIME: Hey hey HEY! This is Lime shouting out to everyone on base. Listen up! I have an announcement! You listening? Good! Okay! Would test pilot unit one CRASH, and Unit two FOX, please report to TICTOCC immediately? CRASH, FOX, report to TICTOCC, Tick-tock tick-tock! The Clock is ticking, hurry and report to TICTOCC! Heheheheh.... This is Lime, signing off.
As for the scene, the writing isn't bad its the ideas. I have pointed out the points where its rather iffy imo. As for the OC, being a old tough SOB is ok. Its the concept you're operation on that I highly disagree with. As mentioned before, why would the prototype Arc need to be using a mage to provide the power and fire it on an island when said prototype can be mounted and attached to a generator and programmed to shoot a target (rock) in space, preventing both damage to mage and land. I need to go check this next part but I think the Arc was developed more than 35 years ago.
Old 2008-02-04, 04:18   Link #19218
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Quote:
So long as one remembers that the high level military ranks, especially officer ranks, are remembered to be limited opening positions. It's all good. Generals and Admirals are Leadership JOB positions. Usually fleet commanders, post commanders, and special department heads.
I'll try . Due to the circumstances that occur within the next few chapters, though, this may get turned on its head.

Quote:
As for the scene, the writing isn't bad its the ideas. I have pointed out the points where its rather iffy imo. As for the OC, being a old tough SOB is ok. Its the concept you're operation on that I highly disagree with. As mentioned before, why would the prototype Arc need to be using a mage to provide the power and fire it on an island when said prototype can be mounted and attached to a generator and programmed to shoot a target (rock) in space, preventing both damage to mage and land. I need to go check this next part but I think the Arc was developed more than 35 years ago.
Hmm... I want to say that the Asura was one of the first Arc-installed ships?

And if I recall correctly, the principle of using a mage as a guinea pig instead of machinery is actually close to being completely viable. If you're a pilot and you eject, you're more likely to be yelled at for losing a billion dollar piece of equipment than seeing people concerned for your safety. As far as military is concerned (in some cases), a person is expendable. Machinery, is not.
Old 2008-02-04, 04:35   Link #19219
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

To follow on above, this normally happens when the aircraft in question is rare, one of a kind, or really really REALLY special.

If it's a run of the mill Hornet or Tomcat, the Navy would prefer to write off the plane as the plane is considered less valuable than a trained pilot and RIO.

Whether the pilot surviveves his fellows after trashing a Sacred Tomcat is another matter entirely...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-02-04, 04:54   Link #19220
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quick answer for the prominent question. *I'm TRYING to get to sleep, but the people in the house don't seem to like it nice and cool... so I'm MELTING here...*

Merely as a potential answer to why a mage would be used over equipment. Perhaps slapping a generator to a cannon WAS attempted, but didn't get anywhere because they could only figure out HALF of the puzzle. The equipment was insufficient for getting a test firing done because they needed to fill in the gaps before the equipment would work. That would tie in that a mage had to be good enough, and powerful enough, to generate an attack based on a support device and rudimentary magical principles. It would only be after at least ONE successful test shot that there would be enough recorded data to reproduce completely mechanical substitutes.

*Shrug.* Just a random thought, I'm going to try and go to sleep again, this headache and it being unnaturally warm for sleeping is a bit annoying.
Closed Thread