AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-03, 05:26   Link #1
Silverwyrm

Something serious

My friend is looking for more anime and I have been drawing a blank. He's seen too many comedies lately and wants something more serious, with a good story.

Good examples of what he liked:

Gurren Laggan
Darker than Black
Old 2011-01-03, 05:54   Link #2
mytwin.45s

so many choices, well here are some of my personal favorites

phantom requiem for the phantom
black lagoon
elfen lied
Gungrave
afro samurai
neon genesis evangelion
cowboy bebop
serei no moribito(havent watched yet but i hear its excellent)
shingetsutan tsukihime
kaze no stigma
blue gender
Kure-nai
ghost in the shell (watch the movies first)
escaflowne
full metal alchemist brotherhood
full metal panic
ga rei zero

sry i got carried away, but i get so few restrictions and i cant stop myself.
it would help if you told us wat he's seen
Old 2011-01-03, 05:57   Link #3
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwin.45s View Post
sry i got carried away, but i get so few restrictions and i cant stop myself.
it would help if you told us wat he's seen
That was about all I had to work with, but big list is good I can refer him to it and he can pick through it
Old 2011-01-03, 05:59   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about serial killings that are taking place.
Old 2011-01-03, 06:35   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a must. It's a long series, though easily one of the best 'serious' shows one can experience.
Old 2011-01-03, 07:04   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hellsing Ultimate
Death Note
FMA: Brotherhood
Code GEASS
Cowboy Bebop
Gungrave
S-CRY-ED
Busou Renkin
RAINBOW

Also, Berserk (coming soon).
Old 2011-01-03, 09:34   Link #7
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Fist of the North Star. It's serious and cheesy (seriously cheesy?) at the same time and though the plot is rather simple, it also produces manly tears and is a show not to be underestimated for its old age. I'm not talking about its infinite spin-off's or its sequel either: just the plain old, 109 episode Fist of the North Star.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-01-03, 11:05   Link #8
kitten320

Really hard to call Gurren Laggan seriouse series 0_o

Well here goes the list:
Since he liked Darker than Black, then Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is a BIG must. Series are very dark with barely any humour as well as they are emotional. Have nice set of characters, gun action and they even wear similar masks.

A bit on romance side would go well Air, does have comedy elements but drama strikes harder.

Claymore, also seriouse and quiet bloody series about female warriors fighting yoma.

Death Note, dark series which make you over think some things and your views on the world. Quiet dark series with several twists, usually you are at the edge of a seat.

Elfen Lied, dark bloody series... also involve nudity.

Ga-Rei Zero, does have comedy elemants in several episodes but over all series are dark, bloody and sad.

Ghost Hunt
, does have comedy elements but series are about ghost hunting so involves some creepy, scary and sad elements.

I myself didn't like DTB and TTGL much but I think that your friend might enjoy Wolf's Rain then.

Also not my favorite but Ergo Proxy series are quiet dark themed too as far as I had watched them.

Someone mentioned FMA above, well series have a lot of comedy elements in it but drama also plays its role. However, if talk about more dramatic series, then I would recommend original first season and not Brotherhood... Duno why so many people are obessed with Brotherhood (which is good) but I find first season to be far darker because of how it is animated and how story is changed. Especially with the whole way of how Homonculis are created.
Better just watch both of them.
Old 2011-01-03, 11:14   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Really hard to call Gurren Laggan seriouse series 0_o
Not really. The series has a lot of serious material, especially once you head into the final arc of the series. Just because it may have a immature appearance doesn't mean the content is the same.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2011-01-03 at 12:39.
Old 2011-01-03, 11:40   Link #10
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwin.45s View Post
phantom requiem for the phantom
Seconded! A very gritty show and very enjoyable.
Old 2011-01-03, 11:49   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Duno why so many people are obessed with Brotherhood
The last arc was simply beyond epic, that's why It's also one of the most serious anime out there, on a higher level than the first adaptation (which was, of course, great, but comparing the homonculi, it lacked depth imo. Good stories for all seven, but could have been better).
And with that, adding Casshern SINS to the list of existential anime out there, quite the serious one to the end.
Old 2011-01-03, 12:16   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If he liked TTGL, I would give Needless a look. Some have even called it a TTGL homage/ripoff at first glance, but the manga actually came before TTGL - it's just that the two series share a sensibility to some extent.

For a couple of generally smart recent dramatic series, though not related to the series you mention, I would try Shiki (tragedy/horror) and House of Five Leaves (historical/character drama).
Old 2011-01-03, 13:12   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If he liked TTGL, I would give Needless a look. Some have even called it a TTGL homage/ripoff at first glance, but the manga actually came before TTGL - it's just that the two series share a sensibility to some extent.
Needless isn't really a serious series, but yeah i'd recommend it just because the OP has seen Gurren Lagann. I just don't want the OP being put off by the madness side of the show.
Old 2011-01-03, 14:41   Link #14
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Needless isn't really a serious series, but yeah i'd recommend it just because the OP has seen Gurren Lagann. I just don't want the OP being put off by the madness side of the show.
I think I suggested that to him before but not sure if we went with it. In any case thanks for all the replies guys Im gonna refer him to this.
Old 2011-01-03, 18:01   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
No question Needless is zany, probably more so than TTGL (who am I kidding) - but TTGL has a fair amount of madness too. There's just something spiritually linked about those two properties, for me.

Incidentally, if the OP's friend reads manga the Needless source material is both zanier and more serious than the anime, believe it or not.
Old 2011-01-03, 19:10   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Incidentally, if the OP's friend reads manga the Needless source material is both zanier and more serious than the anime, believe it or not.
Yeah the Needless manga does such a good job of balancing madness and serious, especially in the later half of the series, after the anime ended.
Old 2011-01-05, 00:13   Link #17
Aesthetic Shampoo

Try Monster. Nothing more serious than a doctor going on a journey to kill a psychopathic murdering patient
Closed Thread