AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-10, 08:26   Link #18381
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Works for me.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:33   Link #18382
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
It would seem to me that a standardised Jacket, since it's from an existing template, would need less mucking around with to make sure it works perfectly all the time. <.<
Aha, the standardised ammo thing for cartridges applied to barrier jackets? I agree, it works for me.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:40   Link #18383
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Occam's Razor. *grins* I've probably got the quotation wrong, but the colloquial version states, "The simplest explanation is usually the right one, don't go mucking about looking for trouble."

Well, the campaign/crusade in the Fanfic Thread is now taking a back seat. Hopefully there will be a shakeup now... worse comes to worse, I guess I'll have to start trawling there and responding to new authors.

I think a point I should have made to Skyfall was that Fanfic is stagnating in comparison to OC... on the other hand, there are times when the backlog overwhelms me He's just lucky I'm not Nodsri from Darkscribes. Nodsri, whenever asked to get back on track, goes, "I'm a Malaysian, it's my god-given duty to detail threads. Fuck off, nigga!" :P

Well, anyway, the points have been raised. It's outta our ballcourts now.

So, dkellis, what are your plans for the 37th CIAA?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-10, 08:40   Link #18384
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Don't mind this cute Athena-sama image, I just felt like it

@ Barrier Jackets:

I'm more under the impression that there are grunts that do change their outfits, albeit in minor ways. For the most part though, they simply don't bother. Even if given the option, not many servicemen I know, including my brother, would change the standard battle dress uniform. Equipment is another matter, depending on one's individual resources.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-01-10, 08:49   Link #18385
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

*chuckles*
"How can you tell who are Navy SEALs? Eight guys dressed differently, doing the same thing." - SEAL Qualification Training Instructor.

The main reason I decided to have the Assault Platoon use a uniform Barrier Jacket was pretty much as above, a way of distinguishing themselves, and for Ivanovich, keeping the Marine heritage of Erusia alive (the green-patterned camo BDUs that the OFM people were wearing in the debriefing room were the Halo 3 fatigues sans body armor). The Air Wing girls get their magic dresses because of morale issues, as well as te fact that the guys look to the sky and pray for panchira. *laughs*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-10, 09:00   Link #18386
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
So, dkellis, what are your plans for the 37th CIAA?
You know the feeling you get when you have a secret? A secret that you want to tell everyone because you think that it's the coolest thing ever, but if you tell anyone, it'll spoil the whole thing and everyone's just kind of left with an uneasy sense of letdown?

You know the feeling you get when someone asks you what that secret is?

Yeah.

Suffice to say that I have huge plans for the 37th CIAA. I have the rough outlines for the entire trilogy (already had them when I made the characters, actually), and the only problem I'm facing is filling in all that empty space between the outlines with actual story, because if I jump straight into the Cool Bits, nobody but me will care, and that spoils all the fun.

On the grand scale of things, it's not that epic, no galaxies colliding or anything, but that's my challenge: to take this not-so-epic story that's still important to these characters on a very personal level, and to make the reader care about them as well.

EDIT: I just thought of a neat encapsulation of what my goals are for the 37th CIAA:

I want anyone who reads the story to be able to feel that these characters deserve their place in the Nanoha-verse as well as the canon characters, instead of usurping the position of Main Characters. I want readers to be able to read the story as a MSLN fanfic, and not care that they are not reading about Nanoha or Fate or Subaru or any of the canon characters.

Lofty goal, I admit, but I'm trying to aim high.
Old 2008-01-10, 09:06   Link #18387
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I see. *nodding*

One of the things that I've noted is that a lot of things that mean a great deal to us are really trivial matters in the grand scheme of things. But that doesn't matter to the heart, because to the heart, all matters, well, matter.

For Kagerou and myself, because we don't really have any overarching plot for the OFM, it's given us freedom to explore and flesh out the unit, with each fic taking on a life of its own, having a place of its own, without us needing to worry about one main connecting thread.

I'm attempting to correct that in Disrupted Tangent, my rewrite of StrikerS... that reminds me, Keroko - can I use both Tesla-chan and Keroko-chan in DT as well?

At any rate, the next OFM short, which might actually come out before Joint Training Pt.3, will be 200th Hour, Naomi's short. (It's somehow ended up that each key OFM charecter is getting a short fic of their own; the last in the line are Naomi, Ivanovich, and Chief...)

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-10, 09:20   Link #18388
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
EDIT: I just thought of a neat encapsulation of what my goals are for the 37th CIAA:

I want anyone who reads the story to be able to feel that these characters deserve their place in the Nanoha-verse as well as the canon characters, instead of usurping the position of Main Characters. I want readers to be able to read the story as a MSLN fanfic, and not care that they are not reading about Nanoha or Fate or Subaru or any of the canon characters.

Congratulations. You just described almost exactly what I did with Keroko. Trust me, while it can be difficult at teams (almost hair-pullingly so) and there will be times when your characters can't partake in the grand action (like the battle above the ocean in S1 and the fight against Vivio in StrikerS for Keroko) it is very much possible. Your integration differs slightly from mine, but our goals are the same. If you need any advice, I'll be happy to help.

Quote:
I'm attempting to correct that in Disrupted Tangent, my rewrite of StrikerS... that reminds me, Keroko - can I use both Tesla-chan and Keroko-chan in DT as well?
Go right ahead.
Old 2008-01-10, 09:35   Link #18389
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If you need any advice, I'll be happy to help.
Advice needed: how can I stop myself from screaming in frustration at Seven Arcs for all the unexplained canon oddities (lol Einherjar) and all the continuity weirdness (lol flying mage rankings)?
Old 2008-01-10, 09:37   Link #18390
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

"Oh Mandy, well you came and you gave without taking...
But I sent you away, oh Mandy~
Well, you kissed me and stopped me from shakin'
and I need you today. Oh, Mandy~"

Quote:
It's clear that your experience in the world of traps is limited.
The reason why I said that is because as kids, you can't check for visible signs like boobs, and all of their voices have every reason to sound like girls...

...But then again, takes one to know one... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryAeon View Post
As if I'll know that.
How the heck could you mistake that for a skirt?

Or have you become so paranoid about traps that you see them everywhere?

Quote:
I hope that at least some of those Enforcers are A+, since that's what my OC Nova's backstory is like: she was one of those sent against Precia, and the damage from the battle burned out her Linker Core.

I'm justfiying it by thinking that considering how powerful Precia is and how dangerous she is known to be, they'll be sending the best of the best against her. This means that anyone below A rank would probably not be sent out, since it's not likely that they'd survive the encounter.
I like to think that a boss-fight encounter with Precia, is like fighting Murmur in Shadow Labyrinth... She's running on 40% health, and has random outbursts that deal massive AOE damage...

Oh yeah, she hardly/cant move as well.

Quote:
Edit: I'm pretty sure that you can fly down the lenght of the barrels, in keeping with the grand traditions of Ace Combat. It wasn't enough to make us do tunnels, we had to fly down the barrel ofa giant railgun in 6....
Yeah, I just played that mission -_-

Brother: "Steady, steady...Now speed up!"

Kaos: "ARE YOU INSANE?!"

Brother: "Be brave!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Lady in the back looks like Evangeline
Well, you can call her a lady I guess, but she's really just a k... >.>

*coughyujishanacough*
Old 2008-01-10, 10:04   Link #18391
Erio
Hiromi

Hey guys, I'm looking for general TSAB information such as military titles (Admiral, Commander, etc). Is there a list of TSAB military titles and positions? If it includes brief descriptions it would be great, as I am not too familiar with military stuff.

Also, is there an official, or rather, a formal name for the "three brains"?

Hopefully Keroko knows...

Quote:
Welcome back Erio. Take your time, rushing doesn't help good stories or profiles. And work your way through the backlog at your own pace. We'll help you if you get confused.
Thanks. Yeah, I've been taking my time with the profiles. I've been working on them for quite some time now.

I've read most of the backlog, but I'm still missing the bluecheesium posts... I caught a cold yesterday, so that didnt help much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryAeon View Post
Well to be fair I'm normally not one to scream "omg it sucked too much please redo it lololol" like some of those random anime blog trolls. But I personally think StrikerS should have been a S4 or even S5 and a series with an earlier timeline should be made first.

It would probably have been better. Though perhaps a change in management internally in 7arcs and stuff prompted the lousy production for the TV version of StrikerS. Though that's probably a little too far-fetched and maybe 7arcs just decided that they didn't wanna spend too much money but just milk as much as they can through merchandising.

We'll never know.
The huge timeskip has actually helped me quite a lot. I have a LOT of new ideas that I will be introducing with my characters' new profiles.

Quote:
I complaint about StrikerS to some real life friends. I think there was once me and PF were discussing about it while on an outing somewhere. I don't really know many people who like the mahou shoujo genre though, so its hard to find people around me to talk about it.
I forced one of my friends to watch Nanoha and A's... at least he liked the talking devices. I dont think I'll be forcing him to watch StrikerS, though.

Quote:
Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed your trip. Don't worry about the backlog really, its not that bad.
Yeah, thankfully its not that bad.

Quote:
Looking forward to more Gwen hawtness.
I did find some hawt new pics for her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Yo! Everyone's still around to welcome you back.
Haha, glad to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Welcome back, Erio! Good luck with backlog breaking. I'm still stuck here until weekends before I can tackle the holiday backlog properly.
Stuck "here"? I guess you're on a trip as well?

Quote:
How many thanksgiving parties am I supposed to go to anyway? I swear, my stomach's gonna burst soon if I don't quit
You're still going to parties? Geez.
Old 2008-01-10, 10:37   Link #18392
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You know the feeling you get when you have a secret? A secret that you want to tell everyone because you think that it's the coolest thing ever, but if you tell anyone, it'll spoil the whole thing and everyone's just kind of left with an uneasy sense of letdown?

You know the feeling you get when someone asks you what that secret is?

Yeah.
Aaaah I know that feeling all too well, though sadly there are some plans I've leaked out into the open that initially didn't want to Suffice it to say, I need more self-control

Quote:
On the grand scale of things, it's not that epic, no galaxies colliding or anything, but that's my challenge: to take this not-so-epic story that's still important to these characters on a very personal level, and to make the reader care about them as well.

I think you just put into words what the true spirit of the OC thread is all about, beneath all the bluecheesium, the crack, the banter, the jokes, and the ideas: We really just want to create CHARACTERS, personalities that we nurture with our own words and imaginations. Trust me, that goal of yours is also one we aspire as well

Quote:
Advice needed: how can I stop myself from screaming in frustration at Seven Arcs for all the unexplained canon oddities (lol Einherjar) and all the continuity weirdness (lol flying mage rankings)?
... Ignore it? All we're really doing in the OC is using the Nanohaverse setting as a base for our stories and scenarios. Everything else they didn't bother to explain, is fair game for our Crack Think Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Had too much Barry Manilow today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
Well, you can call her a lady I guess, but she's really just a k... >.>

*coughyujishanacough*
Nice Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for general TSAB information such as military titles (Admiral, Commander, etc). Is there a list of TSAB military titles and positions? If it includes brief descriptions it would be great, as I am not too familiar with military stuff.

More research for your new juicy scenarios I see (reply pending)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio
I've read most of the backlog, but I'm still missing the bluecheesium posts... I caught a cold yesterday, so that didnt help much.
Better get well soon then

Quote:
You're still going to parties? Geez.
I actually had to go to another one today, which'll entail me going to the northern provinces (note to Flips: Cagayan) for nearly a week of eating, drinking and merriness I had to turn it down to attend to other matters, like running this shop and keeping the money flow in

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-01-10, 10:47   Link #18393
Erio
Hiromi

Quote:
Aaaah I know that feeling all too well, though sadly there are some plans I've leaked out into the open that initially didn't want to Suffice it to say, I need more self-control
Mmm, secrets.

Quote:
I think you just put into words what the true spirit of the OC thread is all about, beneath all the bluecheesium, the crack, the banter, the jokes, and the ideas: We really just want to create CHARACTERS, personalities that we nurture with our own words and imaginations. Trust me, that goal of yours is also one we aspire as well

And to dkellis: That is what differentiates our thread with the Fanfic one. In here, all characters are important, even if they are not related to CCs at all. Over there, however, no NxF = crap.

Quote:
More research for your new juicy scenarios I see (reply pending)
Waiting impatiently for it.

Quote:
Better get well soon then
I am, thanks.

Quote:
I actually had to go to another one today, which'll entail me going to the northern provinces (note to Flips: Cagayan) for nearly a week of eating, drinking and merriness I had to turn it down to attend to other matters, like running this shop and keeping the money flow in
I find it interesting that you are STILL having so many parties after the holidays.
Old 2008-01-10, 11:20   Link #18394
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

*Pokes on in*
This is something posted in fanfiction, but since it is also directly involved in my own little storyline bit and involves a OC... I feel this is another approporiate place to show it and see what you all think.

I didn't write this. My partner in crime did >3
He is handling all the Varista stuff for me while I work on the TSAB

Spoiler for Arc-en-Ciel:

*Slinks off to class*
Old 2008-01-10, 11:30   Link #18395
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Spoiler for Fanfic thread closed...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I wonder why it was the EVA fandom to invent the term though. Is it the sheer lack of it in series?
...yeah pretty much. The term was thought up for the overly-fluffy-with-no-possible-way-of-happening plots that the early great Eva authors did. Strike Fiss's Higher Learning (which deserved to be mentioned any chance it gets), Rakna's The One I Love Is... (with scenes that arguably started the trend of calling things WAFF), and many, many others (read: In Eva-fiction, there is/used to be this thing called WAFF-a-thon. I'm sure you can guess what it was about).

Quote:
Mine sorta leans somewhere in between. And the Logians ARE proteans of sorts, like the Xel'Naga, Titans, and whatever series you are coming from might even be the same group!
I loop them all under Ancestor Race. Yuuno-kun is writing a thesis on them as we speak (cough).

Quote:
In Rebuilt, those giant cannons hide a secret. Ever wondered why there were only 3 cannons? Huge ones at that too. Now let's say someone managed to get intel to Saint Church. I'm using the sword named "Einherjar" from Riviera the Promised Land for the idea behind the nomenclature of the weapon. As for what's inside, Formation Saint anyone?
I'm suddenly reminded of Planescape's "Rule of Three" but I figure it has nothing to do with that XD.

Quote:
One of the main focus of Rebuilt is like I said before a better look at the tech being used. Today we focus on one of the biggest points of contention in Rebuilt's design: mecha.
...You have my attention.

Quote:
The Grades

Unlike normal mecha, Grades focused on mobility and humanoid operation over weapon load. As such, this family sport a humanoid core of myomer fibres, thrusters and armor with minimal weapons built into the hull save a few compact CIWS. The advantage of this chassis design over the CASE system is that while CASE mecha have to tank it like a rock due to the lack of agility, the Grade could just vault around or fly out of the way.

The smaller Grades in their heyday were formidable foes, but after the Anti-Warfare TEchnology Proliferation (AWTEP) Bill enacted in 0000, most of the Grades, along with various other types of warfare machinery, were outlawed and decommissioned. Only the massive and impractical Perfect Grades were spared, though the logic, like many portions of the Bill, was more of a double standard: it permitted the TSAB sniper's best friend to stay viable, namely, the Juggernaut.

First Grade

The lightest of the 4 classes, First Grades stand at up to 5m of height. As they are basically exoframes, these mechanical suits were the favorite infantry of old. No mass produced example currently exist, though under the Powers of War Act, in the state of war in dire situations, the TSAB can field a modern variant called the ZAKU Trooper, as the personal Ion Cannon, the only 1 of 2 types of warfare weaponry allowed by the PoW Act, with the other being Plasma Projectile Launchers, mounted on the Grade is way too heavy to be carried by a mage.

High Grade

Standing at a maximum of 14m in height, the High Grade was the bridge between the multirole Firsts and the powerful Masters. The once-common Arm Slaves were a type of High Grade. No High Grades exist in TSAB controlled space.

Master Grade

The true master of war, a Master Grade under the hands of an Ace can destroy pretty much anything. Throughout history since the advent of the Grades, the Master Grade class were often the focus of super-weapon development, able to carry reasonably powerful armanents without losing much dexterity and armor.

No legal Master Grade exist, as the last Machine Robos (how they escaped the axe for so long was due to another clause) were decommissioned a decade ago. However, Celestial Being has resurfaced fielding what scientists call the Holy Grail of Grades, as the machines used Artificial Linker Cores as a power source instead of the pollutive ultralite fusion reactors used by Master Grades in the past. This made the "GUNDAM", named after the Eta God of War, fall into a grey area in the AWTEP Bill, and to date the TSAB has only been able to chase them on grounds of their vigilante actions.

Perfect Grade

Basically any walker above 20m in height, the Perfect Grade was nothing except maybe being the perfect walking Humpty-Dumpty. While bristling with firepower, their strained legs make them a easy target for commandos and their seaforium charges. As such, very few existed, and those that did were just scientific curiosities. The TSAB keeps an army of Juggernauts on every AW in the event of a martial emergency, where their steel rain would come in useful for any sniper. Vice knows this very well.
So basically it goes like:

- First: Grunt Real Robots. (Gespenst Mk-II)
- High: Powerful Real Robots. (Huckebein 008R)
- Master: High-grade Real Robots/Super Robots. (R-1, Cybuster)
- Perfect: God mecha? (Ideon?)

Quote:
Haha, yes. Kagerou was a bit wary of the OFM under TK's SOPCC until I said, "O'Neil's in charge, the SG-1 O'neil," and he went "FUCK YES STARGATE." ^_^ In a little scene I have written somewhere, Franz and O'Neil can get along well due to both of them drinking Guiness.
...yeah pretty much.

Quote:
Indeed, I believe so. On the other hand, Skyfall may have been thinking that if he had to err, he'd better err on the side of hardness than to risk a troll - I operate under similar ROE on the other forums where I am a mod. Though I usually try and keep things a bit cool: "Okay y'all, now play nice."

I'm not too sure people realise the situation: Skyfall is in apparent denial *shrug* At any rate, after a final post, I'll make a tactical withdrawl. I have no intentions of picking a fight and getting tempbanned.
In his own words, he's not in denial, he simply does not care. Somehow, I can respect that (comes with... ah, nevermind).

Quote:
Quite possible... my interpretation was that all Mages who are officers are at least A rank, and it seemed to be implying to me that all Mages A rank and above have to go to OCS... which is why I have Ivanovich pretending to be a B- when he's really AA+: he doesn't want to go to OCS and get a demotion.
...I think I'm about to start a ranking system. Srsly.

Quote:
There is that. ^_^ And since Mandy seems to focus on the most efficient utilisation of effort, it's probably not efficient enough to gain control of the OFM.
She and Erick should have a war of wills.

Quote:
Hell, last time I was tempbanned on different forums - where I was a mod - I was tempbanned for less. (Though I did volunteer to take my licks first rather than judgement descending on me.)
...Is this the time I banned you along with a certain other person?

Quote:
*nodding* Mutual service sounds quite good to both of us; Kagerou was having ideas for the OFM to be using smaller frigate-class ships for smaller more covert work....which could lead to Tesla and the Normandy?
The Aus'ruf comes equipped with two stealth frigates, the ESF Mobius and the ESF Cipher.

Quote:
I have no idea. *shrug* It's possible that the main charecters get a pass due to their elite status, much as how Delta Force and SEAL Team Six/DEVGRU can keep long hair, beards, and don't need to use US-issue fatigues or even weapons, out on the field (both use M4 style carbines due to how vesatile the platform is).
Likely.

Quote:
The answer to your question is simple: It is nothing canonical at all.

This is one fo those cases where we try to look to deep into things. The reason the grunts Barrier Jackets are alike is simply that it makes drawing and animating the anime easier. If you have to draw 30 completely different Barrier Jackets, you unnecisarely complicate the procedure, not to mention raise the production costs.

If you want a canon explanation though, simply say that those grunts like uniformed Barrier Jackets better. :3
QFT.

Quote:
Occam's Razor. *grins* I've probably got the quotation wrong, but the colloquial version states, "The simplest explanation is usually the right one, don't go mucking about looking for trouble."
How quickly we forget -_-

Quote:
I think a point I should have made to Skyfall was that Fanfic is stagnating in comparison to OC... on the other hand, there are times when the backlog overwhelms me He's just lucky I'm not Nodsri from Darkscribes. Nodsri, whenever asked to get back on track, goes, "I'm a Malaysian, it's my god-given duty to detail threads. Fuck off, nigga!" :P
Oh Nodsri... I hope none of you have the (dis)pleasure of meeting him.

Quote:
The main reason I decided to have the Assault Platoon use a uniform Barrier Jacket was pretty much as above, a way of distinguishing themselves, and for Ivanovich, keeping the Marine heritage of Erusia alive (the green-patterned camo BDUs that the OFM people were wearing in the debriefing room were the Halo 3 fatigues sans body armor). The Air Wing girls get their magic dresses because of morale issues, as well as te fact that the guys look to the sky and pray for panchira. *laughs*
of course.

Quote:
For Kagerou and myself, because we don't really have any overarching plot for the OFM, it's given us freedom to explore and flesh out the unit, with each fic taking on a life of its own, having a place of its own, without us needing to worry about one main connecting thread.
Well, there is one plot I'll make. One day. Eventually. MSLN Alpha/Omega XD.
Old 2008-01-10, 11:43   Link #18396
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Ignore it. Either that, or create your own solutions, which is what I do.

Quote:
Give without taking? Mandy? *snrk*

Quote:
The reason why I said that is because as kids, you can't check for visible signs like boobs, and all of their voices have every reason to sound like girls...

...But then again, takes one to know one... >.>
If tha was mean to be an insult, it completely failed.

Quote:
Not exactly, but I generally use wikipedia for that stuff. The table at the bottom is particularly handy.

Though I must admit I prefer o use 'Grand Admiral' over 'Fleet Admiral' :3

Quote:

The TSAB High Council.

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I've been taking my time with the profiles. I've been working on them for quite some time now.

Get better first, tackle Bluecheesium later.

Quote:
And to dkellis: That is what differentiates our thread with the Fanfic one. In here, all characters are important, even if they are not related to CCs at all. Over there, however, no NxF = crap.
Hush, let's not start making factions. The mods are twitchy about that the moment. Besides, Satashi's Dating Sim starring Yuuno is anything but NxF, and the most popular fic of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
*Pokes on in*
This is something posted in fanfiction, but since it is also directly involved in my own little storyline bit and involves a OC... I feel this is another approporiate place to show it and see what you all think.

Spoiler for Arc-en-Ciel:

*Slinks off to class*
I'll comment on this in the fanfic thread to help it along.
Old 2008-01-10, 11:46   Link #18397
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Mmm, secrets.

Quote:
I find it interesting that you are STILL having so many parties after the holidays.
When you have a dad who's a newly promoted one-star general, who has had MANY friends in the various districts and regions he's headed over the years, ranging from fellow police officers to media personnel to mayors, coupled with the usual Pinoy gratitude, and you've got a recipe for LOTS of thanksgiving parties in the next few weeks

Quote:
*Pokes on in*

Spoiler for Arc-en-Ciel:

*Slinks off to class*
Eeeeeeh... sounds like a one-sided rivalry's coming up between Erika and an apparently clueless Fate?

Old 2008-01-10, 12:04   Link #18398
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Another "not so nice moderator" message, but nevetherless.

I would like to remind you all (none is really "targeted" here) that this is the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Character Creation and Discussion, and therefore, please stay on topic. I think we were very clear on that matter about the Fanfic thread, and spreading/fleshing out the matter is out of question, be it on the said thread or elsewhere.

Furthermore, It would be actually nice if this thread isn't used as a chat. We already know there are already habits and the like in this thread, so nothing is condemned. But please limit the off topic answers and such, and please stay on the "character creation" topic.

If this simple request is disregarded, I will be forced to lock this thread as well.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-01-10 at 12:21.
Old 2008-01-10, 12:28   Link #18399
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:

OK I'll go for the more standard "the woman I can never have" storyline typical of blue-blood tragics.
No, no, I'm not against it. It's just that... from the descriptions alone, it already sounds pretty , I wonder how much crack-fictious it'll be in writing.

Quote:
Well I... Are we talking about the same thing here? I was thinking F/HA.
I was thinking Berserk.

Here's an awesome quote from GameFaqs about Berserk.

Berserk - the only manga where when someone asks about horse rape, its fans reply with "Which one?"

Quote:
EGAD! IT'S MR. OLD MUSCLES!!!

Lionel was a completely original OC grunt leader attached to Riot 6 by orders of le General to keep an eye on Hayate, but he is soon won over by Hayate's ideals and team.

But... If you could enlightening me which Lionel are you talking about (do you really mean the above commander? ), I could accomodate. So far, the only old man to appear is Charlie, one of the new Cleric-knights spawned from Forsaken crack.
I was thinking Admiral Leone, you know, the one bald, long beard, carrying a stick... looking like a cross between Master Roshi and Genryusai...

Quote:
Well, you're right, it's definitely not impressive.

But it could be catchy over time... Like, Jinn's "Kaidoku Funou"

... Probably not.
Definitely not.

And hey, I must be one of the very few who liked Funou from the start. I'll admit it was mildly grating, but there something catchy and addictive about it, the first day I got the rip, I was already looping over 20 times.

The OP animation sucked balls though, compared to the more artistic 2nd and 3rd, hell even 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand-Smith View Post
I was starting on the next part of my story, and possibly introducing some other OCs, but well, I just want to see what you fellows think about this

Spoiler for Part 3, Preview: Attack of the Winged Angels!:
You know, this made me wonder just how versatile or limited Jail's IEs were. Considering that despite being different, they have similar workings, (( didn't Subaru use her CC source inside the Cradle? )), makes one wonder how interlinked the systems are anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
Another fun fact: If I recall correctly, the Eva fandom invented that term .
EVA? Warm and fuzzy?

Doesn't compute.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Quote:
In other news, I haven't really been around a lot. I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect...and holy god, the ideas it's giving me for the OFM are quite scary.
4 months... 4 more months...

Quote:
I aww'd.

I'm gonna go ahead and post a chunk of the final arc of Sorairo Days because the next part's gonna be quite big...

Spoiler for The Liberation of Belzac, Part One:
OFM gets cooler by the word.

Nice to see a great balance in this. Love the dere-dere part, along with the briefing.

Mind telling what's Eurasia again?

Quote:
The Wikipedia dumbfounds me. How can the TSAB front line infantry be A rank soldiers!? O_o
They're too puny to be A rank. If that is A rank Rune is screwed at B+ and No.47 is even worse at C.
Depending what you define frontline, perhaps.

Safe to say, probably 90% of all Ground Forces are D~C, another 8% B~AA, and very very few Zest-class. Most upper-tiers would've probably went for a better career at Air/Navy.

Air and Navy are far more elite.

Quote:
Which is bull, because the booklets state that B-rank is for many mages an 'unpassable wall'

D to C is the average of Armed Forces. Heck, I'll quote the booklet while I'm at it:
Well, the armed forces are huge in the bulk. Sadly, we're not shown the scale and size of the Reds and Blues in comparison to the Browns.

Very sweet as well. Explosive water-balloons, lol.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm more concerned with a specific question, which is: what is the minimum mage rank needed for the mage to be able to fly and fight effectively?

In the first episode of StrikerS, based on what I assume the layout of the B-rank exam to be like, a flight-capable mage would have an easier time of it, but I don't know if the test is itself designed for flight capability or not, and whether Subaru and Teana just made do with their non-flying selves.
Well, despite being just A-Synthetic, Yuuno had solid mastery of flight+ defensive combat. Seems to be an issue of talent as well in some degrees... Those who aren't latently A to begin with seems like they'll have trouble coping with the Air Force training. Can't be just an issue of training if that's what worried Nanoha/Teana regarding flight-training right away.

There are Ground and Air examinations. Subaru and Teana took those, and are completely devoid of the necessity to fly.

Quote:
I hope that at least some of those Enforcers are A+, since that's what my OC Nova's backstory is like: she was one of those sent against Precia, and the damage from the battle burned out her Linker Core.

I'm justfiying it by thinking that considering how powerful Precia is and how dangerous she is known to be, they'll be sending the best of the best against her. This means that anyone below A rank would probably not be sent out, since it's not likely that they'd survive the encounter.
Last I recall, ark mentioned that in the novel or something, the Enforcers sent to counter Precia were a mixtures of B and A ranks. I suppose several A+ could be as well, considering they weren't really effective anyway.

Quote:
A question: in StrikerS, Regius Gaiz was placing a lot of hope in the Einherjar.

I may have missed it due to not paying attention, but is the Einherjar? What does it do? I remember seeing what looked like a building being attacked by the Numbers, but that's about it.
Surface to Air Cannon, most likely..

It was probably made in mind to possess destructive power capable to denounce the need for nukers like Hayate, along with the versatility to shoot effectively in the sky.

Quote:
I was hoping for something which made more sense, especially after I looked up "einherjar" and found out that it meant the half of the souls of the warrior dead which went on to fight for Odin, which brought to mind images of Starcraft Protoss Dragoons.

Then again, Protoss Dragoons aren't really dragoons either.
Durandal wasn't really a sword either.

It's just for namings sake. Though the foreshadowing really destroyed its feel upon introduction.

Quote:
Giant cannons in the middle of a desert seems kind of pointless, especially with Regius's confidence in its abilities. Regius may have been a (censored), but I'm thinking one does not get to be General without having at least some common sense.

Maybe there's some other capability we've not seen.
I was under the impression that the cannon works only as a LEGAL developed weapon in use during need for heavy-hitters. His real intentions along with his true goal for the Ground Forces Project was implementing Cyborgs into them, allowing his own brand of 'elite mages', even more so if the tech to create them which was SUPPOSED to be raided by them can be proven to be effective and efficient.

Quote:
The Einherjar, as it is, just makes no military sense. I'm almost convinced that there's some hidden capability, because otherwise all we see is that it's an immobile brute-force cannon that is inadequately-defended against a small strike force of powerful individuals, which the General knows exists and may be antagonistic, especially if its sole purpose was to shoot down the Cradle, which is populated by Scaglietti and his Numbers.
Regius, Jail and the TSAB High Council were in cahoots together before Jail backstabbed them.

The Cyborgs were probably intended to be developed FOR the Ground Forces, on paper. And behind the scenes, further Artificial Mage research for the sake of creating the Vessel/finding the Cradle.

Which Jail succeeded in doing, though one of them not directly. Only that he didn't do it for their sake, he did it for his.

Quote:
Further question: do we know under what circumstances a mage can go around wearing their unique Barrier Jackets, and when they have to wear what looks like a uniform?

For example, uniforms: the random grunts on the scene during the airport fire in StrikerS episode 2 (including the reinforcements at the end, the flying ones), or perhaps the two backup NPCs with Vita in episode 26. Or even the Enforcers sent to capture Precia in the first season.

Non-uniforms: every main character.

It just seems a bit arbitrary.
Probably a deal of convenience.

Though I do find it strange a little that Vita DOES wear her Air Force vest as well, during missions, during the early StrikerS episode. And one time during a spar with Signum. Other times is her BJ.

Quote:
I like to think that a boss-fight encounter with Precia, is like fighting Murmur in Shadow Labyrinth... She's running on 40% health, and has random outbursts that deal massive AOE damage...

Oh yeah, she hardly/cant move as well.
Feels like a recurring issue of sorts. Precia was never at her prime's best, the whole Reinforce battle, while solid, was clearly not really "ALL-OUT" either, Zest's body was deteriorating and despite being bested by Cinque once, he clearly wasn't his full-power, and Vivio... was well...MAMA!!!!!! That, and the battle just downright sucked.

Quote:
TSA High Council.

Though they clearly have influence, we don't really know HOW much direct influence they hold anymore in TSAB politics. Heck, it's mentioned that the 3 Legendary Admirals don't really hold that much power anymore, despite still retaining their honorary positions.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-01-10, 12:45   Link #18400
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Looks like the OC thread is finally back in business! Good, good...

Some random backlog breaking....

Quote:
If canon doesn't do it, fanon may. When was the last time something GAR was wrote about them anyway.

Hmm..

Spoiler for 5 mins of crack:

Good GAR is hard to come up with but this is workable with the plan indeed...

Back to more Heroes V for now.
I hope you won't mind me saying... but I actually loled when I read this . It seemed quite... humorous, when translated to my mind.

Just imagine this in 4koma format....

Quote:
I thought I should share this with you guys as well.

I found it by accident, but this seems to be a compilation of the THREE HUNDRED BEST ANIME OPENING AND ENDING EVER.

There are some really old stuff in here, as well as the latest from last year. The ranks are base on a popularity vote.

("Sorairo Days" was ranked 74....)

Spoiler for Length:
The #1 caught me by surprise, to be honest .

And I'm surprised people could still remember and love those really old ones .

Quote:
Far too simple. I'm going to to use Katrina to stir things up between Yuuno and Nanoha.

Something like this..

Spoiler for 5 mins of premediated crack:

Is it just me, or is Katrina messing around with illusions again?

On Barrier Jackets, I wonder if they are actually device-based, though Season one and Nanoha herself could probably prove me wrong.

My take is that the device itself has a original blueprint for the Barrier Jacket, that is later modified to better suit the magus. Whether this modification comes from the device or the magus (or from both after a good long talk) is imho hard to say. I would believe that modifications would come from the device first if the magus doesn't have the know-how or simply doesn't know what to improve on first (which should especially be the case of IDs). Once the magus gets used to it, s/he could gradually take over or cooperate with the device for the subsequent fine-tunings.

Anyway, the talk about Einherjar has just given me a idea for a new spell for Hayate:

Spoiler for The Einherjar System:

This idea is loosely based on my understanding about Hayate's canon RS 蒐集行使, which I believe is something like the Tome's ability to collect and re-create other spells.

I have this thought... that Hayate might have been secretly creating Einherjars of her more powerful friends and companions under the pretense of sekuhara....

Anyway, now that I'm at it, I might as well drag the spell-list I working on for her out. As usual, virtually everything has the "Work forever in progress" sign on and some, especially the canon ones, don't even have a description .

But nonetheless, for your reading pleasure (or displeasure. And no, I am not responsible for any eyes running off in horror ):

Spoiler for Hayate's spell-list for Twilight's Wind:

Eh... Basically my plan is to give Hayate a Norse theme, especially one based on Odin, one of the darker gods and a powerful sorcerer himself. Upcoming plans would include inpromptu familiars Huginn and Muninn that serves as scouts and sentinels, maybe write Gungnir in somehow and perhaps even Hliðskjálf as well (now that last bit seems quite interesting, hmm....)

If you ask me though, personally I think Wilde Jagd is too haxxed. The problem is that, well... that happens to be my favorite as well, and I'm reluctant to reduce it to something lesser....

Somebody please hit me with the Hammer .

Signature by liro
Closed Thread