AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-03-15, 02:34   Link #1
demon2004

New Laptop

i will make this quick i am going to buy a laptop hear are the specs i want to now if this is a good deal and will this handle vista nice the price is $ 200 brand new

Specifications
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor Intel Pentium dual core processor T2310
Processor Speed 1.46 GHz
Bus Speed 533MHz FSB FSB
Processor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
Memory 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Max supported =1024MB 1024MB(e1)

Slots 2
Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared) with up to 251MB
Hard Drive 120GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Multimedia LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVDR/RW with Double Layer Support
Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Option 802.11b/g WLAN
Audio Altec Lansing
Fax/ Modem High speed 56k modem modem
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll
Scroll Up/Down pad

External Notebook Ports 3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-11 (modem)
1 TV-Out (S-video)
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
1 headphone-out
1 microphone-in

Dimensions 14" (L) x 10.11" (W) x 1.29" (min H)/1.58" (max H)
Weight 6.4lbs
Security Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
Power-on password
Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power 65W AC Adapter
6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Software Security and Support
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007 (including 60 days complimentary live update)
HP Total Care Help & Support Center
PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)
Wireless Home Network
Multimedia
Vongo
HP PhotoSmart Premier
HP DVD Play Muvee AutoProducer
DVD Edition with Burning
RealRhapsody
Roxio Digital Media Plus
Adobe Acrobat Reader
HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
Productivity and Finance
Microsoft Works
Microsoft Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition: 60 Day Trial Version Version
Internet Solutions (Easy Internet Sign-up plans include
AOL Dial-Up
Microsoft Internet Explorer

Manufacturer Information
Parts Warranty 1 year
Labor Warranty 1 year
demon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:55   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Well, it should handle Windows Vista, but will it handle Vista nicely? I've heard that Vista's "sweet spot" is 2 GB of RAM but that system's maximum, according to your specifications, is 1 GB. That's a bit odd, and doesn't provide a lot of room for expansion.

Further, what type of processor is it? Dual core made me think Core Duo at least, but that system has a dial-up modem in it! Is the processor a Pentium D? If it's a Pentium D that's not so hot.

Either way for $200 I'd say it's a good deal. Factor in the overall lack of upgradability and consider whether those specifications are good enough for you. Without knowing the exact processor model I can't say this for certain, but the processor is relatively weak compared with the average laptop processor these days (core 2 duo). The graphics are integrated, meaning your RAM will take a hit and you're not going to be gaming on this thing. Windows Vista's Aero special effects should still run, though. Also, if it's from a crappy manufacturer then it's definitely not worth it (it has HP software so I guess it's an HP laptop? I haven't been very impressed by their laptop systems, but they're not the worst out there). A system for $200 is a total steal - unless the system breaks down after a month of usage.

I guess the biggest point that bugs me is that you're stuck at 1 GB of RAM according to that thing. It's not terrible... and hey, if Vista is too slow for you, you can always go back to Windows XP or consider switching to Linux
Old 2008-03-15, 03:04   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
All technical things aside if you're getting a laptop for $200 dollars, unless it really sucks (in which case it does not), then it will work. If you have dual core and 1 gig of RAM, then it should handle Vista with ease. There are still ways to tweak Vista so it runs better if you run into trouble. Like Ledgem said, upgrading capabilities are a bit limited, but since you're looking for a cheap laptop anyways (which I think is what you're doing), then I'm pretty sure you don't have hardcore graphics gaming in mind.

And it's an HP, right? My only problem is if it's a Compaq. I'm not sure what the hell happened, but my friend also bought a Compaq (with Vista) for around $200 recently, and for some reason it's slow as hell...just a little precaution.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:15   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Well HP and Compaq have been merged for some time now; while they maintain separate product lines I'd imagine that there are a number of similarities inside. The two HP laptops I've had the displeasure of servicing were pretty slow and a bit more fickle than most other PC laptops I've worked with. Weird stuff.

And if it's a Pentium D, it's rubbish. The Pentium D was Intel's answer to AMD's Athlon X2 processors. Basically, when dual core was new, AMD had dual core processors before Intel did. The Pentium D is marketed as a dual core processor but in reality it's two Pentium 4's "stapled together." The Pentium 4 isn't a good processor, and two of them melded together doesn't redeem that.

But at the end of the day, it's a laptop for $200. If it's a boost from whatever you're currently using, take it. If you just want a laptop for the novelty of it, still take it. If you need a reliable laptop to last you a long time and so on, I'd recommend spending more for something else.
Old 2008-03-15, 03:18   Link #5
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I would like to give my opinion, but all I can think is $200!!!!
Old 2008-03-15, 03:29   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Not entirely off-topic, but there needs to be a tutorial for downgrading Vista to XP, because many people would actually use it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 04:16   Link #7
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

All i can see is the $200 to... I would just buy it if i see that in a reliable store now. I can probably sell it for more to someone else after if i don't like it

It's hard to believe the max support is 1GB though. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a typo from the manufacture/store seeing that isn't all that rare.

And the T2310 is a Yonah Core Duo. So slightly slower than a Meron at same speed. And doesn't support 64bit. And my Laptop also has a Dial-Up modem in it... Why it is in it is beyond me to

And how can they can sell a Laptop like that for $200. Why on earth would people go buy Asus EEE PC when this is available

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 05:28   Link #8
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
And how can they can sell a Laptop like that for $200. Why on earth would people go buy Asus EEE PC when this is available
Bleeping good point. Is there a link to that lappie? I'd put up with an American kb for 200usd! The gpu is nix friendly so personally I would nix it.
Old 2008-03-18, 18:28   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Vista? On 1GB? I'd Ghost that Vista partition / drive away and just *nix it. This laptop's the perfect platform for Gentoo/Ubuntu/Debian + Fluxbox. >_>
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 18:49   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
This laptop's the perfect platform for Gentoo/Ubuntu/Debian + Fluxbox
Hey, GNOME and KDE run pretty nice on 512 MB No need to resort to overly minimalistic desktop environments.

Anyways, as people said... all I can see is $200. Where are those deals when I really need them? (See my "Stupid RAM question" thread)

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 13:29   Link #11
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Thread Hi Jack ! Seems thsi is dead now anyway.

So I am looking to get a new laptop and well My Price range maxes at just about $780 USD

So far what I've found on newegg is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147552

I was wondering if you guys could help me out In getting the best bang for my buck. I want to use it for moderate gaming like FFXI and nothing else really. But if you can find one with a fairly decent graphics card feel free ! I also want to use it to preview stuff for clients and maybe do some work on it also. And also be able to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4d, Flash, and Dreamweaver.

Another thing is If I can upgrade the RAM of any of the laptops you guys link me to you can also take that into consideration. As well 1GB of DDR2 Ram for laptops isnt that expensive. And Lastly no website is off limits (except for those shady ones). looking forward to your replies !

Thanks
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:45   Link #12
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Only 1Gb RAM with shared graphics on Vista is a bad idea. Also it is Intel graphics so it won't run the fancy effects of Vista properly (that is what the Vista Capable lawsuit currently ongoing is about). My laptop has this kind of configuration (except that it has nvidia 6150 graphics) and even though the graphics doesn't steal a huge amount of RAM it's still slow.
Old 2008-04-11, 16:07   Link #13
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Hmmm I see anyother suggestions maybe an alternative buy ?
Old 2008-04-11, 17:16   Link #14
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Hmmm I see anyother suggestions
No Vista?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 17:47   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg View Post
I was wondering if you guys could help me out In getting the best bang for my buck. I want to use it for moderate gaming like FFXI and nothing else really. But if you can find one with a fairly decent graphics card feel free ! I also want to use it to preview stuff for clients and maybe do some work on it also. And also be able to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4d, Flash, and Dreamweaver.

Another thing is If I can upgrade the RAM of any of the laptops you guys link me to you can also take that into consideration. As well 1GB of DDR2 Ram for laptops isnt that expensive. And Lastly no website is off limits (except for those shady ones). looking forward to your replies !
It sounds like the more demanding part on your system will be the media programs that you want to use, rather than the gaming. So here are two recommendations.

1) Make sure it has a dedicated graphics card, rather than one that uses shared memory.
2) Make sure you know the system's RAM limitations. Previously there was a hard limit of ~3.5 GB despite the fact that the systems were carrying 64-bit processors. Most systems can take 4 GB (and hopefully more) now. However, aside from that hard limit, I've heard of certain computers that have the RAM soldered into at least one slot - which means you can't change it for a higher capacity module. Be careful, because you're going to want at least 1 GB of RAM - ideally 2 or more if you do serious media work, and especially if you're going to be running Windows Vista.

Without knowing exactly what work you're doing I can't make any other recommendations than those. If you'll be needing external HDs for massive disk space consider a system that has Firewire built in (you only need a single Firewire port - you can daisy-chain Firewire devices. Try to get one that has a 6-pin Firewire 400 port rather than the older 4-pin types). It doesn't sound like you're planning on carrying this around much so the size and weight probably don't matter to you.
Old 2008-04-11, 18:24   Link #16
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well the thing is the way I work is that I normally work from home where I use my Desktop PC. but when i head to the bosses office I would like to have a laptop on hand that can open up the files so i can show them to my boss, and add thing or remove thing depending on his preferences. Like a preview of sorts not really used to work on per say but just for minor touch ups and what nots.

And after reading I did realize that the 7150 was an integrated card. Well thats what i want to use the machine for...so if you guys can suggest some Laptops in that price range that would be all to great.
Old 2008-04-11, 20:19   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might also check out the deals over at Tigerdirect.com. I've found some very nice Thinkpad loot there in the past.

Mostly what I have to say is that I prefer Thinkpad and Toshiba over HP/Compaq and I avoid Sony like crazy.... but then that's because I like to tinker. All of Ledgem's comments about system memory maximums, video shared-memory hell, and having the ability to retrograde from Vista to XP are dead on.
Old 2008-04-11, 22:28   Link #18
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well although alot of advice has been given as to integrated hell and shared memory....This also seems tempting....tho the Acer Aspire series looks sooooo.....ugly...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2jvff&GSCID=10
Old 2008-04-11, 23:10   Link #19
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

If the OS is 32bit, The maximum RAM it can recognize is 3.5gb. No matter CPU is 64bit or 32 bit.

The thing is, you just get what you paid for. Laptops below 1000$ will not handle softwares you mentioned properly. So yeah, if you really want a workable laptop, you need to invest more.

Check Toshiba. The entire line has been revamped recently, and it looks a lot cooler than before.
Old 2008-04-11, 23:23   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
If the OS is 32bit, The maximum RAM it can recognize is 3.5gb. No matter CPU is 64bit or 32 bit.
The problem can be a bit more insidious than that. For example, I'm using a Macbook Pro that has the Napa chipset. The OS is 64-bit, the processor is 64-bit, but I have that 3.5 GB limit. Why? Because the memory controller is 32-bit! The system can see 4 GB of RAM but it'll never go above ~3.5 GB of usage due to address space issues. What a way to half-ass it.

The current Intel laptop chipset, the Santa Rosa, removes this restriction - I presume the memory controller is now 64-bit as well. I'd expect that the upcoming Montevina chipsets should also be full 64-bit.

Tags
buying computers, laptops