AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-07-22, 07:59   Link #1
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Internet/Firewall problem ?

SO here I have a new question I hope you guys can help with, I am currently connected to a 1mb internet line and my laptop is only downloading at a cap of 30 KBps which is pretty aggravating. Though I am sure it is not a problem with the isp but probably more to do with windows, I am on Vista.

My desktop which is also on this connection download at around 100-115 KBps which sounds correct considering the divide by 8 for you MB connection speed. The desktop pc downloads at this speed when the laptop is off and nothing else is taking up bandwidth another fact about my desktop PC is that it is connected through an Ethernet cable and the laptop is connected wirelessly.

Thanks
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 12:18   Link #2
Trickle

Are we referring to torrent downloads on the laptop or bog standard file downloads?

If the laptop is only getting 30K tops on torrents, I'd assume you havent forwarded ports correctly in your router. [In English, you havent told the router what port (address number) your torrent program is using (both for udp + normal)]
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 13:04   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually.... since his desktop is getting normal speeds for a torrent (we'll assume he means torrent and not ftp/http), I'm wondering about his wireless connection.
What model wireless access point or router is it and what model wireless card is it?
Old 2008-07-22, 14:25   Link #4
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Well atm I have my connection wired to my laptop and the speeds are still 30 KBps though on my desktop it is still going at max peed when the laptop is off, on both systems I have not forwarded any ports. Seems wired to me.....the modem I am using is a ZPHONE Paradyne ADSL2+
Model No: 6211-I3-200-0TT
Old 2008-07-22, 14:45   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, so much for the wireless ideas.

Stupid questions: it is a 100Mbps LAN adapter on the laptop, yes? Have you swapped out cables? Is the torrent software throttle off? (sorry, had to ask... )

More seriously,
Are you using UPnP (universal plug and play) on all systems? That will sometimes automagically handle everything in the way of forwarding issues.

Otherwise, Make sure UPnP is off and then you might try forcing the torrent main port on each machine to a unique port # (other than 6881) and then tell your router to portforward each machine's assigned port number to its own same unique port number.

(box 1):utorrent->6885} --- (router):{6885_from_box_1->6885out}
(box 2):{utorrent->6886} --- (router):{6886_from_box_2->6886out}

That probably made no sense but its the way I write down network notes. Specific instructions will vary depending on the router user interface ability.
Old 2008-07-22, 15:12   Link #6
Trickle

If it is utorrent thats being used, it has a handy little triangle at the center of its bottom interface bar (green or yellow) that you can click and do a test to tell you if your ports are ok. Green = yes. Yellow = no.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 15:51   Link #7
mxg
The Lone Gamer

I'm at work right now I will try these siggestions tonight and report back in a bit.
Old 2008-07-22, 17:42   Link #8
mxg
The Lone Gamer

So I just forwarded all the ports and i got the green check mark from utorrent everything checks out from the instructions I used. But I am still capped at 30 KBps.......I already disabled windows firewall so what should be my next step ??
Old 2008-07-22, 21:49   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm guessing the problem may have something to do with http://www.msfn.org/board/Vista-Tips...50#entry588750

Unfortunately that particular posting didn't seem to offer a solution, but I didn't read the whole thread since I don't use Windows.

Maybe someone else can suggest how to tune the limit on TCP connections in Vista to accomodate torrents?

Of course, you may have a manually-imposed limit on upstream bandwidth, but I bet you've already checked that!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 22:03   Link #10
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Yeah I did check....I will check that site out.
Old 2008-07-28, 01:43   Link #11
arenine

If you still have that problem on utorrent, it may be because utorrent limits your download speed if you set your upload limit below 6 KBps.
arenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 10:02   Link #12
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenine View Post
If you still have that problem on utorrent, it may be because utorrent limits your download speed if you set your upload limit below 6 KBps.
Oh wow.....lol Shit works now........

Thanks