AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-16, 23:39   Link #1
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Why do kids like Yu Gi Oh ?

I have a little brother and he is obsessed with this card game. I tried making him come out of it but he will refuse and has a tantrum over it. He causes problems with our family. What do I do ?
Old 2008-09-16, 23:47   Link #2
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Have him play Magic instead!

Maybe introduce him to another hobby?
Old 2008-09-16, 23:58   Link #3
Cherudim Arche

The problem of TCG

Are you sure that it isn't a impulsive obession? I think you should let him get so absorbed in to it to where it forgets. After a while, I do not know the time of how long, maybe he will stop liking it or maybe just continue.

Simple: it's fun, collectable, and easy to understand, with decent asethetics.
Old 2008-09-16, 23:59   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

It's the 'cool kids Pokemon'. :-o
Old 2008-09-17, 00:02   Link #5
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Because it deals with Card Games, and Card Games is serious business!!!

But seriously, you can have heart to heart about this and if he doesnt get better, then you will have to take all of his cards and hide them from them.
Old 2008-09-17, 00:02   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
He causes problems with our family.
LMMFAO...Causes problems in the family?? xD What does he do summon Blue-Eyes White Dragon at the dinner table?? Dude give him some time he'll grow out of it...As a sidebar though Yugioh is a very underrated anime by people who only buy into the kids game part of it...And Yugioh Season Zero has lots of hardcore stuff...
Old 2008-09-17, 00:03   Link #7
Cherudim Arche

More or less the "fancy" version
Old 2008-09-17, 00:41   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think we need more clarification on "causes problems". Most people with a hobby can get obsessive about it. If he misbehaves because he dwells on it when he should be doing chores or participating in family activities....

then I might ask him why he should ever be able to have any cards if he fails to support the 'family team' honorably like the characters in YuGiOh do....
Old 2008-09-17, 00:52   Link #9
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
To be completely honest I'm also a big fan of the series myself if not just for those fancy asethetics...but I mean to the point where he crys and stuff over his cards ? I should beat his ass the old fashioned way.
Old 2008-09-17, 02:05   Link #10
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Yeah, beat his ass the old fashioned way so he can rebel and cause more trouble

What's his age? Seriously, kids crying over THEIR possesions are not that uncommon. Heck, my brother acts the same way and I remedy the situation by playing with him and little by little making him understand that Yugi OH isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Its all about understanding each other.
Old 2008-09-17, 06:16   Link #11
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
When we were younger, my little brother used to get obsessed with little things just like YuGiOh, pokemon cards, playstation games etc. There's a tactic you might want to deploy firsthand which could prove effective.

Pwn

In doing so, one can stamp their own authority before the unthinkable (but inevitable) happens - the younger brother wins. Mainly though, the loss leaves a bitter aftertaste and can cause the young one to move on to more promising prospects.
Old 2008-09-17, 06:23   Link #12
Tiberium Wolf

OMG! Leave the kid alone. Can't anyone be obsessed on something without suffering interferences? If you are worried just let him till he get bored or when he reach the age of reason.
Old 2008-09-17, 06:46   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Or fight fire with fire. Defeat him.
Old 2008-09-17, 07:36   Link #14
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
OMG! Leave the kid alone. Can't anyone be obsessed on something without suffering interferences? If you are worried just let him till he get bored or when he reach the age of reason.
I have to say the same too. Although my case is different, I have this very hugh obsession with online gaming when I was at high school. So serious that I haven't attended class for a week, staying with my friend's house to sleep over. After a few years and I became a college student, I lost addiction to those things and started anew.
Old 2008-09-17, 08:03   Link #15
agar07

Send a message via Yahoo to agar07
i haven't played the actual card game, but i've played the gba yugioh games and i totally understand a little kid becoming obsessed. its probably just a phase. lay down some pwnage on lil bro and call it a day, he'll grow out of it.
Old 2008-09-17, 09:51   Link #16
Shin Muhammad
Putting Truth First.
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Muhammad
I've watch this since 2006, and most of my friends still continue to play Yu-Gi cards until now. I can say, their fetish are not larger as before, but they still liking to play and collect it...

I suggest you to give your little brother some other positive things. Maybe you can start give him some anime

Indonesian Railfans
Old 2008-09-17, 09:52   Link #17
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

How's he getting the money to collect the cards?

I know I quit TCG's because it got way too expensive.
Old 2008-09-17, 10:29   Link #18
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post

I know I quit TCG's because it got way too expensive.
same here, as a kid I would spend all my allowance on boosterpacks and eventually found out that this way I didn't have any cash for birthday gifts etc. but it all depends on the age of the kid we're talking about

whooping the butt of an 10 year old can seriously cause behavior that will annoy you greatly so think it through before you do it, I hate whynning kids who cant stop being competitive after they lose a game, that stuck up behavior drives me nuts.

as for the problems I can sorta see what you mean by it, spending all your cash, always talking about the hobbie and not willing to do anything but it, try introduce something that might catch his attention in such a way that he might forget about the cards, or if he gets allowance let him earn it through hard work, kids shouldn't be spending cash without knowing where it comes from maybe then he'll learn that a hobby is a hobby and should not be taken too serious

I only played the yugioh gba games though, heck it has been ages since ive done it, I also played magic when I got in a crowd that played it, but again it was too darned expensive, some friends bought cards online to make such powerfull decks that you just couldn't keep up because you lack the same commitment as they did, eventually I stopped playing all together because it isn't fun like that imo and expensive =P
Old 2008-09-17, 12:02   Link #19
Plun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I'm curious to.

I stopped playing and collecting Yu-Gi-Oh when I was 12. I spend over thousands of dollars on the cards. Biggest mistake in my life.
Old 2008-09-17, 13:14   Link #20
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Or fight fire with fire. Defeat him.
Lol I like this suggestion, although now that I think about it I have seen him doing meth once with his friends who also play the game, btw he's 16 years old. It's crazy but true but my parents do not know about the Meth problem. To be completely honest I do not even care what happens to him I just want my special edition blue eyes back, and if he keeps throwing a fit when I try to re acquire it just makes it all the more harder to get it back.
Closed Thread