AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-30, 10:39   Link #3081
Sunder the Gold

Passions and talents are different things.

Nanoha has a talent and passion for shooting, bombardment and flight magic. Hayate has a talent and passion for cooking.

Hayate has a talent for spells, but her passion is apparently to make a social difference within the known universe. She wants political power rather than combat power.

It's little different from how Yuuno could be an (even more) amazing combat mage if he spent all of his time training for battle, but his passion is to make a difference in the world through the acquistion and dissemination of knowledge.

That said, Yuuno must still train for combat, because he's that sort of person. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been half the combat asset he was for the first two seasons. Physically protecting and supporting his loved ones is important to Yuuno.

I doubt that it would be different for Hayate, especially with the Wolkenritter for a family and security detail, and with Nanoha and Fate as friends.

By the time of StrikerS at least, Hayate should have gotten in enough practice that she could at least fight at the level her friends did at age 9, and probably better. This not accounting for the huge ritual spells that she alone can cast.

I believe that Hayate can achieve her Battle of Aces / Gears of Destiny level of competence, with bread-and-butter spells like Balmung and Claimoh Solais as well as "smaller" big spells like Ragnarok.

Indeed, what else would the TSAB be training her to DO, as a cadet? Even if she entered an officer training program as a cadet, the course would have to include lots of magical and combat training.

She's joining a semi-military operation and committing to following orders, after all. She can choose her branch of service, but THEY get to decide what to do with her after that.

And what the TSAB REALLY wants from her is a magical powerhouse. They have officiers to spare, already, and can easily get 50 more officiers from among the crop of low-magic or magicless recruits from the many administered worlds.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:06   Link #3082
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

"she's an officer" was just an excuse to push Hayate to the sidelines. For whatever reason, someone in one of the big chairs at 7Arcs got cold feet at the idea of Hayate on the front lines.

Which is a shame, the PSP games show how much fun a combat Hayate is and I hope the 3rd movie takes a different approach.
Old 2013-03-30, 12:43   Link #3083
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
"she's an officer" was just an excuse to push Hayate to the sidelines. For whatever reason, someone in one of the big chairs at 7Arcs got cold feet at the idea of Hayate on the front lines.

Which is a shame, the PSP games show how much fun a combat Hayate is and I hope the 3rd movie takes a different approach.
Agreed on all count.

Quote:
the PSP games show how much fun a combat Hayate is
HAYATE: Headbutt Tackle!

ZAFIRA: Please, stop that!

Don't like how she wields that staff one-handed, though.
Old 2013-03-30, 13:21   Link #3084
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I don't remember how the PSP games explain it, but I know her combat powers in that are a direct result of Reinforce being around longer, and her general health being better. It could be possible that Reinforce was needed to allow Hayate to easily control her magic.

Also, there is one difference between Knight's Clothing and Barrier Jackets. Clothing is weak, I think, as Knight's Armor is equal to Barrier Jackets. Mid-childan magic doesn't have a Knight's Clothing equivalent.
Old 2013-03-30, 13:33   Link #3085
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Cari and Teana developed an illusion togheter in order to fool the numbers and get the realic they were trying to steal.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 13:36   Link #3086
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Actually, that was Teana doing the illusion, Caro was giving her a "Boost Up".

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2013-03-30, 14:04   Link #3087
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

That is true. Caro can summon living beings or chains but cast ilusions is something only Teana has been able to and, considering how much she suprise people with it, might as well be a rare skill for a mage. Not a Rare Skill, but that ilussion isn't the most use magic.
Old 2013-03-30, 14:29   Link #3088
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yeah, it is an uncommon talent. Ginga went all starry-eyed in the manga when Teana mentioned she could do illusion magic.
Old 2013-03-30, 14:31   Link #3089
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Which is why I think Teana is a Combat Cyborg magnet. XD

Old 2013-03-30, 14:33   Link #3090
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I don't remember how the PSP games explain it, but I know her combat powers in that are a direct result of Reinforce being around longer, and her general health being better. It could be possible that Reinforce was needed to allow Hayate to easily control her magic.
Except in the game, Hayate fights maybe ONE battle while Unisoned with Reinforce, and the rest of the time it's just her.

Reinforce taught Hayate how to use her spells, but the Wolkenritter and TSAB could have done the same.

Quote:
Also, there is one difference between Knight's Clothing and Barrier Jackets. Clothing is weak, I think, as Knight's Armor is equal to Barrier Jackets. Mid-childan magic doesn't have a Knight's Clothing equivalent.
From what I recall, Knight's Armor includes an auto-guard barrier defense that Barrier Jackets (and, presumably, Knight's Clothing) don't provide. Since Armed Devices can't auto-cast magic like Intelligent Devices.

When Fate and Signum have their duel in the desert, they dive each other and strike, with each having their blades turned aside by barries. Bardiche auto-cast Defenser for Fate, and Signum's Knight Armor protected her.

If Hayate's jacket lacks this quality, it would be equal to Midchildan barrier jackets rather than inferior. (It also means that Hayate lacks any form of auto-guard when not Unisoned.)

Enforcers like Chrono don't tend to use Intelligent Devices, but they should have sufficient combat training that they don't need an auto-guard. Nanoha didn't have any training at all, Fate had really poor defensive training, and the Wolkenritter are badass veteran powerhouses who can afford the tax of more expensive Armor while not turning their noses down at an extra layer of protection.

Perhaps Midchildan system has something like Knight's Armor, but we haven't seen it.
Old 2013-03-30, 14:39   Link #3091
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Which is why I think Teana is a Combat Cyborg magnet. XD
This is when you realize she actually has a hidden door in her apartment leading to an inner sanctum filled with Cyborgs used for... questionable purposes.

"Subaru, I told you never to go in here... Now I have to... recalibrate... you a little..."

Old 2013-03-30, 14:43   Link #3092
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
This is when you realize she actually has a hidden door in her apartment leading to an inner sanctum filled with Cyborgs used for... questionable purposes.

"Subaru, I told you never to go in here... Now I have to... recalibrate... you a little..."
Calibrations? Teana is Garrus?
Old 2013-03-30, 14:44   Link #3093
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Bah! I bet Sein spends more time in there than Subaru does.

Old 2013-03-30, 14:45   Link #3094
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Actually Barrier Jacket has at no point show inferior to Knight's Armor. They are both energy fields turn in to cloths and the strength of them depends of the mage but they are, in general, just there to explain how this people can break concrete walls and iron bars without having their bones turn in to pulp.

And for extra protection just see the Reactor Purge that Nanoha had on her own Barrier Jacket.
Old 2013-03-30, 14:46   Link #3095
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Reactor Purge is an explosive burst, however, and not a barrier field. As for Signum's use of it, I thought she was in Knight's Garb as well?
Old 2013-03-30, 14:48   Link #3096
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Considering Knight Clothing is old technology (and we're talking like centuries old here xDU) it'll make more sense for the Barrier Jackets to actually be an improvement over those.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 15:02   Link #3097
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Knight Clothing is what the Wolkenritter have, it sacrifices defense to improve mobility.

Barrier Jackets are basically all-around good, though some, like Nanoha's is more defensive while Fate's is more mobile.

Knight Armor, on the other hand, is more defensive than the others, used primarily in war.

Old 2013-03-30, 15:06   Link #3098
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

The problem I have with those is that, in the end, makes no sense talking about being heavy or allow mobility. They are energy, so you can make them as light as you want. I think lighter armor means they use less energy to create it but then again there is no need for it to look different.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:11   Link #3099
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not necessarily. Caro's Barrier Jacket is optimized for speed, despite how many layers she's wearing.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:12   Link #3100
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

It's not energy, Sansker.

If that was the case, then Nanoha, Vita, Teana, Subaru and Hayate would have all been back in civilian clothes and/or naked when the Cradle forcibly canceled all magic in StrikerS.

Closed Thread