Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 05:53   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeSuki & Streaming

AnimeSuki & Streaming
In the past few years streaming video sites like YouTube, Veoh and Crunchyroll have become increasingly popular. While in the past pretty much all (full episode) anime content on these sites has been "illegal" (unofficial), the advent of more and more legal streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama & Saki, just to name a few) has lead us to the thought: should AnimeSuki start listing anime streams?

I and a few other staff members think that we should probably start listing at least legal anime streams on AnimeSuki. The reason is that as legal anime streams will get more popular, we will be left with less and less fansubs to list if we adhere to our current listing policy. We consider legal anime streams as "licensed", which means distribution of unofficial/non-legal fansubs of such series should stop. Right now that means a series is removed from the site if it becomes available as legal stream. But unlike regular licenses we can link to the legal alternatives if modifications are made to the scripts that run the site.

Apart from certain technical issues (which can be overcome) however, there are some issues with anime streams. Some that I can think of are:
  • Legal streams may only be available for a limited amount of time (example)
  • Legal streams may be region locked (example)
  • Legal streams may not be available for free (pay only)
  • Non-legal, but unlicensed streams may not be sanctioned by fansub groups (example)
  • There may be dozens or more versions of the same episode for unlicensed streams
  • Streams may be broken up in multiple parts for unlicensed streams
And I'm sure there are more problems that I didn't think of yet.

Anyway, on with the poll. I tried to cover all related topics, which made it a bit long. If you don't feel like answering all questions feel free to just post your thoughts on this issue.

1) What are your online anime viewing habits?
- I only download anime and never view anime streams
- I mostly download anime and occasionally view anime streams
- I both download anime and view anime streams about equally
- I mostly view anime streams and occasionally download anime
- I only view anime streams and never download anime

If you have a reason for picking one of the options above, please mention it in your post.

2) If you view anime streams, what do you view mostly?
- Mostly legal, official anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc)
- Both legal and illegally uploaded anime streams equally
- Mostly illegally uploaded anime streams (such as on Veoh, etc)

3) Do you think legal anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc) will get more prevalent in the future and will replace fansubs?
- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular and replace fansubs eventually
- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular, but fansubs will always remain
- No, the situation will not change much
- No, free legal anime streams are just a fad and will disappear again in a few years
- Other (please specify)

4) If you answered "Yes" above, do you think your online anime viewing habits will change because of this in the next few years?
- Yes, I think I'll be viewing more anime streams than download anime in the future
- Yes, I'll be switching from illegally uploaded anime streams (like on Veoh etc) to legal streams
- Yes, I think I'll be downloading more anime than view streams in the future
- No, my habits will probably not change

5) Have you ever paid for anime (online or offline, such as DVDs)?
- Yes
- No

6) If you answered "Yes" above, would you be willing and able to pay for anime online?
- Yes
- No

7) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of online anime would you be willing to pay for?
- Download to own (DRM free only)
- Download to own (regardless or whether files have DRM or not)
- Pay to view online streams (sort of like a rental)
- All of the above
- Other (please specify)

8) If you are unwilling to pay for anime online, what is your primary reason?
- I do not want to pay for anime online, ever (please specify reason)
- I don't have money to spend on anime (online or otherwise)
- I only want to pay for tangible goods like DVDs, not digital goods
- I do not have any means to pay for anime online (no credit card, banned PayPal country, etc)
- Other (please specify)

9) Would you like to see AnimeSuki list anime streams?
- Yes
- No (please specify reason in your post)

10) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of streams should AnimeSuki list?
- Only official legal streams (such as Naruto Shippuden and Gintama, etc)
- Only (non-legal) unlicensed streams (of fansubs)
- A mix of both

11) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list time-limited streams? (ie: streams that are only available for 2 weeks after airing)
- Yes, but only for the time the stream is available for free
- Yes, even after the stream is only available as some kind of pay-only option
- No, never

12) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list region-locked streams? (ie: streams that are only available to visitors from the US, etc)
- Yes, but the allowed region should be clearly visible on AnimeSuki
- Yes, without distinction from other streams
- No, never

13) Should AnimeSuki list non-free legal anime streams? (ie: streams that require payment to view)
- Yes, if clearly marked as pay-only
- Yes, without distinction from other streams
- No, never

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups? (Fansub groups: I need your opinion on this!)
- Yes, only list "official" fansub group sanctioned streams
- No, also list streams uploaded by other people

For that matter, are there any streams officially sanctioned by fansub groups?!?

Just skip questions if you do not have an opinion about them. Also feel free to voice your opinions/concerns/thoughts regarding anime streams as well. Thanks for your time!

If you want to simply take the original poll, edit it and leave your answers (plus any comments) here is the original source of the poll:
Spoiler for Poll source:

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-04-17 at 08:51.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 07:07   Link #2
saiu

Might as well give my opinion on this. It'd be pretty convenient not to sign up all over to know when legal streams are happening and what of.

I like using streams to sample a series before buying or downloading it or to watch unlicensed series my old PC can't handle. Since Crunchyroll removed illegal streams I haven't bothered as much.

As said, it's gotten harder to find the illegal streams you want in good quality thanks to CR. It is however convenient that there are legal streams too.

3) Do you think legal anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc) will get more prevalent in the future and will replace fansubs?
- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular, but fansubs will always remain

I know from my college anime club that there are people against watching anime online for moral reasons who aren't aware of legal streams yet - there must be more like them who will eventually start using the legal streams. Then one internet lurker tells another and it's like an alternate Adult Swim on demand.

4) If you answered "Yes" above, do you think your online anime viewing habits will change because of this in the next few years?

They're still not going to catch everything I'm interested in.

- Yes

6) If you answered "Yes" above, would you be willing and able to pay for anime online?
- No

- Other (please specify)
I'm very selective in what I purchase. I prefer paying for something I know I like and want to rewatch or see on my shelf, and using the net it's very easy to throw money around without thinking.

- Yes

However, fansubber approved streams might as well be included. It's just that if you include all illegal streams there's far too many without quality checking or guarantee that it'll last on the site for very long. It would make extra work for those adding them.

11) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list time-limited streams? (ie: streams that are only available for 2 weeks after airing)

12) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list region-locked streams? (ie: streams that are only available to visitors from the US, etc)

13) Should AnimeSuki list non-free legal anime streams? (ie: streams that require payment to view)

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups?

I remember one group had a member using their Youtube account for posting stuff when their codecs went haywire for some users. I forget who, but on rare occasions members of fansubbing groups do stream their own work.
saiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 07:29   Link #3
escimo
Paparazzi

I only very rarely view streams. So far I haven't been all impressed with the quality (video + audio) of the streams. Also my connection at home is a bit on the slower side so viewing HD streams is a pain. Thus downloading is more convenient.
I have viewed a few legal streams. All of which I ended up downloading anyway.
I don't think fansubs will be going anywhere. If nothing else stitching original subs to a higher quality raw will go on. Streaming at as high quality as the HDTV rips provide over the internet will not be possible due to many bottlenecks in the network.
I don't think my habits are going to change dramatically over the next few years. Quality isn't satisfactory and I personally don't mind filling my hard drives with anime. At least I'll know the show I'd like to watch is going to be available when I want to watch it and I'll be able to watch it where ever and with ever.
- Yes

- Yes

7) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of online anime would you be willing to pay for?
DRM free because of the compatibility and copying issues. I want to be able to copy the stuff I have bought to my own devices as many times as I please and view it with any format compatible device I might be using without having to wrestle with DRM.
- Yes
Or rather I don't see it necessary but wouldn't hurt to have it as an option.
Index of non-legal streams would probably just be outdated all of the thanks to streams being removed.

escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 08:23   Link #4
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I'll try and answer with the closest choice, but some of them i dont really fit

This is determined by which gets it out first. If i have access to both at the same time i prefer the stream. I prefer to use any leagal source available, but i can't afford memberships and i dont want to wait a week

If they use streaming ads like comedy network does and i can get it fast i will switch.

- Yes

- No

- Yes

- No, never

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups? (Fansub groups: I need your opinion on this!)

I didn't quite understand this but after seeing the video about Dattebayo i'm going to change my answer

Last edited by SeedFreedom; 2009-04-17 at 09:36. Reason: Answer 14
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 08:34   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Welcome to the forum saiu!

"~" = omitted to answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
~ I spend most of my time (which is not even close to all of my time) collecting and viewing anime related images. Occasionally I view anime related online videos (streamed but not streams, and not necesarly series), and a few times connect to some music anime related streems. I only view RAW as far as streamed videos go.

Quote:
~ Veoh is locked for me last time I checked. I do enjoy mostly legal decent quality videos, like Haruhi-chan, etc mostly stuff that's online only; don't really bother with those mentioned above.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
- Yes

Quote:
- No

Quote:
~ I'd rather buy them.

Quote:

Quote:
~ You can list whatever you want.

Quote:
~ No "funny anime videos" option?

Quote:
~ Should list them seperatly as a stack. Unless the time limit is measured in years.

Quote:
~ Is it imposible to have a "this is my region" option?

Quote:
~ Don't care

Quote:
~ Is it even called a "fansub" group if all it does it tell you what to upload and what not to? I would list streams after they pass inspection (its streamed content afterall).
Old 2009-04-17, 09:01   Link #6
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:

Used to rely mainly on streams in the past when my internet connection was slow but after getting a faster connection (which can download torrents effectively) my reliance on anime streams for watching episodes has completely stopped. Now, I mostly visit streaming sites like Youtube to see fan made AMV's like this one.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
- Yes

Have a large drawer full of anime cd's (bought from a local anime shop).
The only time my buying habits got minimized was after I got a faster internet connection that can download torrents.

Quote:
- Yes

I'll gladly pay to watch Shugo Chara online (for the sake of giving money to the creators of the anime and its not because I like Crunchyroll). Crunchyroll just have to find a way to get rid of the region lock.

Quote:

Would like it to be DRM free if possible since I'd be paying for it.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-04-17 at 10:44.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:06   Link #7
bayoab

Since I've been in the process of writing a site that lists all legally available DTO and streaming anime, I might as well give feedback with issues I have been having in writing the site. There is always a company or website that throws a wrench into seemingly perfect plans. I initially wanted to list expiration dates, regions, etc and then found out most of that information is not publicly available or requires jumping through hoops. I am just finally getting to methods to acquire this information now.

Random aside: Envirosphere has been listing official legal subtitles for about a year now and I keep having to revise the listing condition policy as some company comes up with some exception to the rules. Initially it was "Officially available for viewing worldwide from the Japanese parent company" and has been since converted to: "Any english subtitled release, available via free streaming or DTO (or pay DTO in conjunction with the streaming), by either the Japanese company or a R1 company, in concurrency (or partial concurrency) with the Japanese airing of the series, in at least the US."

Regarding the intro note: There are dozens of versions of legal streams out there too. The companies try and get their stuff on as many platforms as possible so there are some series that are available on 7 or 8 different sites, all in different configurations. (Example: Moonphase) Some of these are even broken into 2 or 4 parts per episode on Youtube.

You also get things like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood where multiple companies and releases cover different regions, even for the same language. (Madman covering english speaking R4 while FUNi appears to be covering english speaking R1 for FMA:B).

* Yes

The more places that increase awareness of legal anime, the better.

* Only official legal streams (such as Naruto Shippuden and Gintama, etc)

* Yes, even after the stream is only available as some kind of pay-only option

Note: The majority of the streams out there are actually time limited in some way/shape/form. The problem is that most of the limits out there are not visible to the user. Also, there is the reverse issue of streams that are only available for paying members for a period of time and then go free. Crunchyroll being the obvious example of this.

Issue 1) Most streams are actually region locked, but the regions aren't listed.
Issue 2) Beside the few common regions (US, US and Canada, All english speaking countries) regions are not consistent at all between titles. They are a complete mess and vary from title to title on some sites like Crunchyroll. (Ex: Naruto is blocked in random parts of Europe because of a company in France on Crunchyroll.) It is very difficult to determine all of the region restrictions of some titles. There are only a dozen or so titles that are actually available worldwide without restrictions.

The few fansub groups I have been in have been of the opinion that releases are not meant to be uploaded to youtube, etc and that if we actually could send DMCA takedowns to the various sites, we would. There is a strong objection to making the file even further easily available than it already is.

Quote:
For that matter, are there any streams officially sanctioned by fansub groups?!?
Very, very few.

There is also the odd reverse issue of companies that sanction fansubs. There are a half dozen series on Crunchyroll which the Japanese companies appear to have OK'd the fansub copies that were up there. (There is a forum thread on Asuki somewhere about it.)

Last edited by bayoab; 2009-04-17 at 09:24. Reason: Couple additions, edits
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:15   Link #8
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Usually, if I wanted to see an episode before the sub is out, I’d check the raw on a streaming site, though I do sometimes check Crunchyroll for some of the shows they have.

There are still older shows that I doubt will ever see the light of day if not for fansubs.

I can’t see streams quality to be that great compared with downloads.

- Yes

- No
I like to own it in a tangible form. But if it is not available, and I have enough interest in the title, then Yes.

-Sure, why not?

- A mix of both

Uhh....
Old 2009-04-17, 09:18   Link #9
wao
OK.

Hm, I haven't watched anime in a while but I like filling out polls so why not

- I mostly view anime streams and occasionally download anime

[most legal streams are not accessible in my region]

- Other (please specify)
If you mean online streams only, then I don't think they'll replace fansubs as long as there's enough people out there locked out of legal streams due to licensing problems.

- Yes

- Yes

Normally I'd pick no but I think by the end of the year I'll be able to!

- Pay to view online streams (sort of like a rental)
- Other (please specify)

If and when it becomes possible... Mostly the first option. I would only be pretty comfortable with paying for one-time streams if they were short series (<6 episodes) or movies. And they better be really good of course.
I'd be open to the idea of monthly subscriptions if you get access to a large backlog of older stuff, but I'm fairly pessimistic about that happening.

- I do not have any means to pay for anime online (no credit card, banned PayPal country, etc)

Currently #3 would be the biggest reason. However, if I was going to spend considerable $ I'd rather have something I could hold and display...

- No (please specify reason in your post)

I don't think there's any benefit in doing this. I doubt the site would be made any more useful, frankly... I'm not really sure that the streaming-video audience really overlaps with the visitors/users of the actual Animesuki torrent listing (as opposed to certain other ones)

-

- No, never

Old 2009-04-17, 09:57   Link #10
Green²
It's bacon!

- Yes

- No, never

Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:58   Link #11
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

- I only download anime and never view anime streams, as stream quality is horrific on a real monitor or TV (ie 1080+)

- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular, but fansubs will always remain. Or at least I hope so. Streams appeal to the masses who have no regard for the eyecancer streams give, but they will probably do a fair bit of damage to the fansubbing community that has spawned out of the torrent age. It's likely fansubs will fall back to the pre-torrent days as far as number of groups and series subbed goes.

- No, my habits will probably not change as long as I can hold out the way I currently do things; download the best TV rips I can, and buy all of the series I rate 5+ if they become available in my region.

- Yes. A lot. Current total is around $23,000.

- No. I live in a country with download limits and value archiveable media to view offline. A DRM free method of downloads equal to current digisubs, and the price is right (Far less than DVDs with no physical materials made/shipped and no dubs to pay for etc) sure, but not streams.

- Other (please specify) -- See above.

Undecided. As fansubs dry up, I suppose it's needed for AS to live on, but I personally hate streams and would rather avoid them entirely.

- No, never. It should be unlimited only so the links never expire. (easier on upkeep and users)

- No, never. Region locking is stupid and should be less supported than streams themselves.

- No, never. You're not paid to advertise others and you shouldn't unless you do get some kind of referrer deal.

- Yes, only list "official" fansub group sanctioned streams. It's only polite. When I used to sub I really hated seeing our work put on YT and other super low quality sites that destroyed half of our typesetting work and such. It's disrespectful to the creators as well as the groups who take the time to do good releases. But I don't think non-legit ones should be listed at all, so...

Streaming is a very unfortunate product of recent years (and certain outspoken fansubbers saying they'll stop if producers release stuff same day as in Japan) but it's not enough. Not for me. And even really high bitrate, or real HD streams won't ever appeal to me for the key fact that I value archiveable media I can watch where/when/however I want. Downloading a series is a precursor to me buying it, and the quality of how I see it impacts my enjoyment which in turn leads to me buying or not buying the show. If I have to sit at my PC and watch it in a browser window that has no fullscreen option, or is such dismal quality that fullscreen at 1920x1080 is just a bunch of blocks, then yeah, I'm not going to be impressed enough to put money down for the show when (if) it is released on DVD in my region. But that's a rant I've gone through too many times so I'll stop.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 13:31   Link #12
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Here goes .

To cut a long story short my ISP has a 30GB/month download cap, and my current location is such that either I go with unreliable ISP's with no transfer caps, or reliable ones with a transfer cap. Thus if I want to watch an episode a few times, then streaming it several times wastes my transfer allowance.

- n/a

I only use streaming sites to check anime OP/ED's and trailers.

- Other (please specify)

I think that, yes, more anime will be picked by Crunchyroll et al., but there will always be a number of niche works that won't even make it to the legal streaming sites. Crunchyroll at the moment operates on a flat rate per month, so either they would have to hope that a niche series brings in enough new subscribers (unlikely for a niche series), or they would have to increase their monthly fee (an unpopular move), or they start charging for the series separately of their monthly fee. In any case, I feel as though there will be a natural ceiling to the number of works that are streamed.

Now, for the very popular series there will still be a few groups that will fansub them. However, what I feel is very likely to happen is that some groups will just rip the translations from the streamed version, mux it with a raw of their choice, and release that. I don't know if you count that as a fansub though.

- Yes

- Yes

Unless the DRM can be easily stripped (e.g. DVD CSS protection), I wouldn't buy it. So I'll go with the above option. I certainly don't want to feel as though I have to continuously pay to access media because it's not download-able. I definitely do not want to be paying for a service if the video quality sucks. I figure that eventually more series will be released digitally, than on R1 DVD, so I'm happy to pay, but it has to be the right quality, and I have to be able to watch it on my terms, not theirs.

- n/a

- Yes

To be honest I'm not bothered either way, so long as you make it clear that it's a stream and not a torrent. I would prefer some kind of separation between the two (perhaps javascript + a cookie, so you can choose whether to view one, the other, or both on the main page?)

- A mix of both

The problem you're going to have with non-legal streams, is that they're liable to be pulled from youtube et al., which will just cause the links to break. Furthermore youtube limits videos to 10 minutes long (that hasn't changed, right?), so you'd have to link to several videos. You could perhaps provide streaming links to a dedicated anime streaming site (if they exist?), who wouldn't have that problem.

After it's no longer free, stick a link to the streaming site on your License Database web page. Perhaps also a link to the streaming site on the generic "this series has be licensed page" as well.

People are smart enough to figure out how to use proxy servers. That said it'd be nice to have the heads up before clicking the link.

- No, never

(Same comment as for question #11).

Last edited by Fahd; 2009-04-17 at 18:21. Reason: Missing a comma.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 14:14   Link #13
NrvnqsrChaos

- I both download anime and view anime streams about equally

I am sure that this trend of legal streaming will continue, but for me there are many shows I am watching and that are not streamed because their popularity is not that big, and often the translation quality of streaming sites like crunchyroll cannot really compare to that of fansub groups, so fansubs will continue.

- Yes

- Yes
If the quality of the video, sound and translation is good, definitly.

- All of the above
It would depend. If I really like a series, I will download it of course, but I do not want to download episodes from series like Naruto that I just watch once and then never again.

- Yes

But it should be somehow marked that the stream is not for free anymore. And for lazy people a sort of timer that shows how many days the stream is still available for free could also be a good idea.

NrvnqsrChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 14:28   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

- I mostly download anime and occasionally view anime streams.
I can use the fingers of one hand to count the number of things I have watched through streams. Then again, I have not closed the door on the possibility of expanding more in this regard.

Both shows are legal, but like Fahd, I use streaming sites mostly to check anime OP/ED's and trailers.

- Other (please specify)
Don't have the slightest idea. Whatever I say would simply be me guessing.

-Same as above!

- Yes
I stick mostly to renting anime, though. If I had to choose between spending money in anime or video games, I am always gonna go for the games. (of wich I have a ton, btw. )

- Yes
Not right away, though!

-skip

- Yes
Because they are there! is as good as any reason to become interested in watching more of them.

It would be pretty strange for Animesuki to do otherwise.

Because I can't see them! is not a good enough reason as to why they shouldn't be listed for those that can.

-skip
Old 2009-04-17, 14:57   Link #15
egelteek
lotsa groups timer

Send a message via ICQ to egelteek Send a message via AIM to egelteek Send a message via MSN to egelteek Send a message via Yahoo to egelteek
[1) What are your online anime viewing habits?

cuz i hate loading time of streams, am locked out most of the time, since europe isnt considered within the license, quality is low, and i'd prefer my anime free, before i decide to buy it

skip

- No, free legal anime streams are just a fad and will disappear again in a few years

-Yes, but dvd's only

-no

- i only will pay for quality that i can watch again and again, without having to pay again and again

- No, animesuki should only list freely downloadable anime, as soon as there is a question of payment or payment for a better quality version and add ridden sites, then its no longer free

11) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list time-limited streams?
- No, never

12) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list region-locked streams?

- no never

13) Should AnimeSuki list non-free legal anime streams?
- No, never

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups?

-NO, streams are an evil way to steal our money, like phishing
egelteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 15:49   Link #16
Alive

- No, but i am planning to in the near future

- No, I like having a hard copy of what I buy (yes i know i didn't answer yes to the last question

- I only want to pay for tangible goods like DVDs, not digital goods (There is many more ways to lose digital data then physical)

- Undecided, It depends on quality of streams (Couldn't chose between the options)

- A mix of both

- Make two sections, one for free streams and one for streams you have to pay for

- No, also list streams uploaded by other people (This really depends on what an "official" fansub group is.
Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 18:04   Link #17
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare

Comment: I only use streaming to view clips of anime, whether the clips are from a licensed or unlicensed anime.

- Yes

- No

- Yes

- A mix of both

- No, never

Comment: I think that we should have as many options as we want, whether it is official or fansubbed.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 18:15   Link #18
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...

- Yes

- No
I've paid for DVD. There's something about having actual physical media in your possession that streaming will never replace.

Comment: More a 'don't mind eitherway' option, it's it's not a def 'yes or no' decision that I have about it.

- A mix of both

Comment: May as well, I sadly fall into countries which will be hit by various region blocks, so at least being able to clearly see what little choices I have ar present, would be useful.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 20:53   Link #19
Momomo

Stream Survey

Streams don't fit my watching habits. With either digital fansubs or DVD's I always wait until all episodes are released before watching. Sometimes I will watch maybe the first 2 to make sure I'm not wasting my money or bandwidth. So streams that may go by the wayside either to limited airing or removal don't work for me.

n/a

- Other (please specify)
I think that fansubs will be around for the most part but probably go underground; sites such as animesuki which list only unlicensed titles might not have much to list, but fansubs will probably be around through other outlets. I hope that streams do not replace fansubs... rather I would hope that a combination of streams, download to own, and television/ondemand channels would replace the need (well rather, the want to have anime the same time as Japan and not 3 years down the line) for fansubs.

- Yes, I think I'll be downloading more anime than view streams in the future

Sorry but again it's two answers ; ;. I hope to be participating in more download to own options in the future, possibly paired with streams, or even downloads you can preview or watch as much as you want as long as you have a membership, i.e. like what Napster and Rhapsody do with music.

- Yes

- Yes

- All of the above
- Other (please specify)

The only other would be sorta like what I mentioned before. An application that would let you do all those things like a Napster for a monthly cost, plus the cost of purchasing to rip to DVD's.

- Other (please specify)

Contradiction I guess... but right now I'm unwilling to pay for anime at all... no job, no money... thank lord god jinai for a largely unwatched fansub and dvd collection due to my last job taking up all my time. Otherwise I would be glad to pay for anime online.

- Yes and No (please specify reason in your post)

Depends... with fansubs it's on or off, meaning if it's licensed it's not there, if it isn't it's listed. There may be different file types but it's a bittorrent link regardless. There are so many different types of streams it might get confusing. But with the right layout anything is possible.

The big plus would be organization for us fans who are ocd about our collections. I have almost 10K episodes of anime between DVD's and digisubs. I built a relational database and installed mysql server on my computer to run it, as well as a website holding info and pictures on every title. I even built a page for the spring 09 season so I know what I'm getting from who and how. Not saying this to 'brag', actually it probably makes me sound like a hermit who does nothing else, but rather to illustrate a point that it would be great to have a one stop shop to go to for organizational purposes. As it is right now I have to frequent many different sites to get all my info... animesuki being my favorite because of the easy layout... moving on.

I'll say legal... only reason is that I don't really know of any anime groups that stream their releases officially(correct me if I'm wrong). If it's a FS it's a torrent, official and on the site it's a stream, keeps things simple. Then people can deduce that if it's not listed on the site at all, it's probably out on DVD or doesn't exist. And if it is on the site and listed as a FS torrent and you want it in a stream, that should be your own business to hunt it down since the FS group probably didn't upload it to veoh or youtube in the first place(again correct if incorrect).

As long as a flag is there saying it's free, or pay I wouldn't see a problem.

Might as well, if you're going to do some, do them all.

And I would hope you would get paid for it... it's free advertising for the pay sites, although maybe that makes up for listing the fansubs by the same company not being streamed which they aren't receiving money for.

If they exist I guess so.
Momomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 00:33   Link #20
Kamui4356
Aria Company

- Yes, I think I'll be viewing more anime streams than download anime in the future

Honestly, I'm not sure abut this one. On one hand I'd like to support the industry and watch legal streams instead of fansubs, but on the other hand, downloading fansubs is far more convinent as I can rewatch whenever I want without using more bandwidth, plus the quality is usually higher.

- Yes

- No

- Other (please specify)

I answered no to the last question, but I might be willing to pay a reasonable subscription. I'm not about to pay for individual episodes, though, unless they come on a professionally manufactured dvd. Which leads in to the next question.

I buy dvds to put on my shelf and look cool. I rarely actually watch them, beyond one or two eisodes to make sure there's no authoring problems. Hell, I haven't even opened my Nanoha box sets.

- Yes
-

- A mix of both

Though I'd just add that it should be made clear when they become pay only. This could be as simple as adding a "free until DD-MM-YYYY" when adding them or actually changing the entry when they're no longer free.

I think I can sum up my position here as, sure list them, but make it clear what's what. Legal streams being marked as such, fansub streams being marked as such, and so on. If possible to include, pricing information on the legal streams, like is it a pay per episode thing or part of a monthly subscription, would be really helpful. This doesn't have to include the actual price, but at least what type of payment plan it is.