AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 52 44.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 31.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 12.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.86%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-12, 11:18   Link #121
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Kizuite View Post
^ It's Darker than Black because someone dies every episode or 2. Why did Youko of all people have to die? FFS.
Why wouldn't she? Her character was mostly irrelevant to the story except this episode. We get to find more information about Yin (somehow, because everything she told Hei, we knew them beforehand.) and her death may trigger the final showdown between Hei and Section 3.

I don't see how this can effect your disliking for the series.

Quote:
I didn't like that at all, now lesbian contracter is gonna die. So is Mr. Shotacon.
This was obviously predictable and obvious. Heck, you would know this if you watched S1. It was only a matter of time.

Quote:
Oh and Misaki and Li reunion was utter garbage. I was expecting more but she just got beat up and left there. To me, the story has become irrepairable. Terrible shame when the show had so much potential.
Well, she is HIS enemy and she knows his real identity. At least he recognized her, so I pretty much expected no less. I suppose it's a shame you can't seem to like this series, and I guess it's the last time we'll be seeing of you?
Old 2009-12-12, 11:28   Link #122
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Those replies do not show how Suou is irrelevant to the story. It only shows your personal tastes.

Suou's character is her character. Even if you think she's fake, she's still the season's protagonist. She was the one who had friends, she was the one who had relationships, she was the one who was confused and in trouble. Instead of it being a story about the real Suou, season 2 is a story about fake Suou. Take that in mind.

Art taking a bad dive is normal, especially in this economy and when they pumped cash in the episode 9's Hei Revival scene. I would concede to the coincidences chaining up together as being faulty, but sometimes, they would make sense as there are only thousands of contractors and the Mao events all happened during an earlier time right before and after the Gates appeared that can explain a dearth of agents.

Misaki finding the two kids is one that I cannot defend at all, but other than that, I can't say that there was way too many coincidences here in this episode.

As for the complaints about the content of this season, last season had lolis, shotas, moe, and fangirl stalkers. And even then, Darker than Black season 1 didn't tie mostly everything up until the last 3 episodes. You cannot complain that Darker than Black season 2 is tying up everything in this last two episodes when season 1 did the same thing and THEN hold season 1 as a gold standard.
Old 2009-12-12, 12:09   Link #123
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
Those replies do not show how Suou is irrelevant to the story. It only shows your personal tastes.

Suou's character is her character. Even if you think she's fake, she's still the season's protagonist. She was the one who had friends, she was the one who had relationships, she was the one who was confused and in trouble. Instead of it being a story about the real Suou, season 2 is a story about fake Suou. Take that in mind.

Art taking a bad dive is normal, especially in this economy and when they pumped cash in the episode 9's Hei Revival scene. I would concede to the coincidences chaining up together as being faulty, but sometimes, they would make sense as there are only thousands of contractors and the Mao events all happened during an earlier time right before and after the Gates appeared that can explain a dearth of agents.

Misaki finding the two kids is one that I cannot defend at all, but other than that, I can't say that there was way too many coincidences here in this episode.

As for the complaints about the content of this season, last season had lolis, shotas, moe, and fangirl stalkers. And even then, Darker than Black season 1 didn't tie mostly everything up until the last 3 episodes. You cannot complain that Darker than Black season 2 is tying up everything in this last two episodes when season 1 did the same thing and THEN hold season 1 as a gold standard.
Uhm, excuse me, I thought fandoms are an accumulation of personal taste? We'd be kidding ourselves if we think there's objectivity involved.

Too bad for Suou, the protagonist she might be, but her character is indeed confused--literally. Maybe this was the whole point, but I don't know, it's very difficult to bear with.

FMA seems to be doing fine in the art department, I suppose it has a bigger budget but meh *curses bankers* Look at where you got us <_<

While S1 may have its own share of resolution issues, lolis, shotas, and harem, you will have to be agree that it's far superior. There shouldn't be any debate on that.

Anyway, whatever, just 2 more weeks. Pardon me while I continue translating Shikkoku no Hana.
Old 2009-12-12, 12:25   Link #124
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Suou irrelevant to the story? That means you think this is season one, and that the only reason to have a season two is to complete season one's plot. In this season, Suou is the protagonist, much as Hei was in season one. When Hei says she reminds him of himself, that is significant. If you can't get into Suou, you can't enjoy the series. You have to identify with Suou, since she's the protagonist, and if you do, her being a "copy" is a powerful development.

Suou is part of everything. Remember: Suou was in utero when the Gates appeared. She was killed in the explosion that killed Mao's human form and was apparently an attack on her father. She was put under the ME. She was probably killed again by the meteor at the time of the Tokyo Explosion. And she became the repository of some of Hei's/Bai's powers when the meteor fragment she wears sucked them in when Hei was attacked by Section 3.

The Misaki/Li reunion may not have fulfilled some people's (including Misaki's) long-held fantasies about it, but it was very strong, in my opinion. And for sure this isn't the last they see of each other.

And I agree with everything Nanaya just said, including about the one indefensible coincidence in this episode.

forgottendiary is right about it being personal taste, but not about the contradictory point of there being no possibility of argument about which season is superior. In my opinion (or should I say for my taste), if either season is superior, season two is superior to season one. And I just rewatched season one, so the comparison is fresh in my mind.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-12-12 at 12:46.
Old 2009-12-12, 12:46   Link #125
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"There shouldn't be any debate on that" is about the biggest red flag there is. What it really means is, "I can't possibly be wrong and you can't possibly be right if you disagree with me. Ever."

I love S2, and I don't think the revelations about Suou's character make her any less relevant whatsoever. How is being a clone any philosophically different than being a contractor? Both are artificial constructs, yet both clearly (in this universe) have identity, self-awareness and yes, emotions. Hei summed it up pretty well in that brilliant closing scene - Suou is who she is, to him she's simply "Suou" - how she got to be Suou is irrelevant. None of it makes her feelings any less valid or her actions any less crucial to the story. We're all being manipulated, all the time - that's one of the messages here. Get used to it and make the best of it.
Old 2009-12-12, 13:05   Link #126
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Just to make things clear; when I said her character is irrelevant to the story, I was referring to Yoko and not Suou (although that should be pretty obvious from my post).
Old 2009-12-12, 13:12   Link #127
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
To me, I stopped liking it, and started disliking it when Tanya died and Shou was over it in 3 seconds.

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2009-12-12, 13:39   Link #128
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
s2 was more to my tastes than s1, since i didnt really care for its episodic nature, and Suou was the character you could relate to throughout the show. I guess, even for a contractor she was the most "human" among them.

Which season was better only counts if one season was significantly worse than the other, which isnt something im on board with. If I had a problem with s2, its only that it wasnt longer.

Oh well, I will continue waiting for the next episode.
Old 2009-12-12, 13:44   Link #129
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Yes, if it was 24 episodes and stuff that needed explaining was *insert word I forgot and can't get into my head* out. I would have no problem with S2 and its inconsistancies and other "stuff" (word escapes me again). Sigh

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2009-12-12, 14:08   Link #130
Hobbit
. . .

So, in my opnion, this season is just an interlude for S3.

Although Suou is one of the main characters of this season, we can't just forget that Hei is on this because of Yin. I know that much of the people out there like Suou, but it's clearly that in the beginning she was a job for Hei, and he was expecting to find clues about Yin.

Through this plot (Shion X Suou), we learned that the explosion the creation of the Gates was already know to some persons. And that the Syndicate is (at least was) divided in factions.

The new character that appears in the end of ep. 10 looks much more like Shion/Suou than Yin. I don't know, but I doubt that Section would let Yin take a walk through the Hell's Gate. She was comatose in a box in a secret place. And the cocoon, probably the new character was hibernating (?) there. Maybe one of Shion's copy, even a spare Suou.

If someone will die, i'm betting it will be Shion. But I don't think that it will be like a villain. A new season would be necessary to show us what are the Gates, who's behind that, etc..

And yes, the elglish sux, and there's a lot of word spelled wrong XD
Old 2009-12-12, 14:17   Link #131
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Look. I like the series.
I didn't say I didn't like the series. No one said anything about it being a continuum of Season 1.
I just posed a question.
Nobody explained or bother to state why they think she is still relevant.
To me, it seems like the main players aren't the main focus of the storyline.
At first I was thinking about Suou and Shion held a some kind of Key or power to stop whatever is about to happen.
But then I find out that she's just a clone created by Shion.
The real Suou had her body cremated, the real Suou is gone. The current Suou is just a person created by Shion.
So now I'm curious to see how the story writers are going to end it.
Can someone please "Explain" why they think she is still relevant?
Old 2009-12-12, 14:45   Link #132
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post

Can someone please "Explain" why they think she is still relevant?
you pretty much answered your own question, the point is we DONT know the relevance yet. it's like you're asking us spoilers for izanami, izanagi. as far as we know, yin has absolutely no relevance up until now except for the hints of izanami etc etc, she hasn't done anything. but will we find out eventually? most absolutely yes.

let me ask you this, what is the relevance of hei losing his powers? he still kills people just fine, but there's a purpose or plot behind it or it would not have happened
Old 2009-12-12, 14:54   Link #133
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@Yu Ominae -- Hey, there's nothing "despicable" about Suou's origins. Her mother shouldn't have interrupted the process, is all I say. Papa was crazy, but that was the right thing to do, in my opinion. Maybe Mama really will come to regret it. Suou may be an incomplete copy, but she's a complete human being, it seems to me.
I still think it was despicable though. Mikhail was trying to play God by recreating Suo IMO.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-12-12, 15:12   Link #134
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I still think it was despicable though. Mikhail was trying to play God by recreating Suo IMO.
To hell with "God", Mikhail was just reviving his daughter, and doing a pretty good job at that. I for one am not going to call creating Suou despicable. She's much too cute for that.
Old 2009-12-12, 15:50   Link #135
hei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Indeed. I posted a few pictures a few posts up, but it's kinda really hard to notice since the whole scene was like really fast forwarded. I think they're rather saving budget for the last two episodes, but considering DtB's popularity, I thought budget wouldn't really be such a problem.

As long as it get fixed on the DVDs and Blu-Ray, it's all good.
Oh, I should have seen your post before I wrote. I could have avoided all the trouble of capture, resize, upload, link, etc. For me, it looks like they fast forwarded the video to hide poor quality. Actually, it's not the first time this season, but I cannot bear with it this time! (because it's a scene featuring Misaki )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
But lets be honest that scene was like what less than one second? It was practically unnoticeable and obviously watching it slowly would make some scene looks worse than it is as some of them are not intended to be viewed slowly. It is just like scene that are zoomed in to make them look bad, even though the characters face are drawn in distant so they don't have lot of details.
One second? Unnoticeable? Which show are you talking about? I am talking about episode 10 of DTB2, more specifically the scenes between 16:50 and 17:30 of the episode. Also, you don’t have to have a sharingan to figure out Hei’s funny face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
The new character that appears in the end of ep. 10 looks much more like Shion/Suou than Yin. I don't know, but I doubt that Section would let Yin take a walk through the Hell's Gate. She was comatose in a box in a secret place. And the cocoon, probably the new character was hibernating (?) there. Maybe one of Shion's copy, even a spare Suou.
The Super Saiyan lookalike creature at the end of the episode is very likely to be Yin. I think so because I had read the preview of ep 10 that says Yin will appear in a different shape.
Old 2009-12-12, 16:52   Link #136
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Pretty easy to understand why Suou is RELEVANT to the story.

She's the main character, she was used by Shion to evade capture as a decoy, she is bringing Hei back from the brink of drunken stupor and not caring, she is the starting point of this story and may be the ending point of it. This is HER story, like how most of the two episode arcs were stories about the leading ladies/dudes DTB had in season 1. Of course, it was expanded into 12 episodes instead of 2.

Remind me again why this is so hard to understand?
Old 2009-12-12, 18:15   Link #137
Chidori<3
Hei x Yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
Pretty easy to understand why Suou is RELEVANT to the story.

She's the main character, she was used by Shion to evade capture as a decoy, she is bringing Hei back from the brink of drunken stupor and not caring, she is the starting point of this story and may be the ending point of it. This is HER story, like how most of the two episode arcs were stories about the leading ladies/dudes DTB had in season 1. Of course, it was expanded into 12 episodes instead of 2.

Remind me again why this is so hard to understand?

For 1st - I don't "understand" why the hell is she the main character in 2nd season ?! In season one we can't see anything about little girl, instead of her, we got a lot of action, interesting plot and really,really great characters ! Hei, Yin, Mao, Misaki, Huang, even supporting characters were amazing and interesting - November, April, Havoc, Amber, Gai and Kiko, Kanami, I don't think I have to mention more but I could... they were all great.
Now what did we get ?! BONES are almost only focusing on one character - little girl :/ (Yeah,yea I know it's only 12 eps, they can't show us all characters with details of theirs personality. But they are making fillers, that's why I'm mad!)
That is not that I don't like Suou, I even like her, but... I would like to see more Hei, I would like to find out something about gates, and all that unexplained stuff from 1st season.
Or at least something DTB like... for me this season is not DTB

And yeah.. it was expanded into 12 eps. but those were 12 great eps... now we have 2 average episodes.
So for, for me there were few really good eps : ep 3,6,10
I really wish that at least Yin will survive... at least Yin and Hei...
Old 2009-12-12, 18:39   Link #138
Solafighter
Hige

Why did Misaki board her car on the left side? Wasnt the steering-wheel of her car on the right, like usual in japan or am i simply wrong?

Interesting episode anyway.
Its getting to the final act and looks like, even thought the animations are less professional and exact like in season 1, Hei is going to kick some butts.
Old 2009-12-12, 18:46   Link #139
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidori<3 View Post
For 1st - I don't "understand" why the hell is she the main character in 2nd season ?!
She's the main character. That's why she's relevant to the story as well as the aforementioned reasons.

Everything else that you pointed out is personal taste. If you love Suou instead, then those arguments would not show up at all.

Learn to understand the difference between personal taste and plot relevance instead. That's your problem.
Old 2009-12-12, 18:47   Link #140
Sakabatou77

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Why did Misaki board her car on the left side? Wasnt the steering-wheel of her car on the right, like usual in japan or am i simply wrong?
It's a Porsche, a forgein car, so it will be on the left side of the vehicle. She's had that car since series 1.
Closed Thread