AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 37 31.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 25.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 23.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 10.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.86%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-11, 11:16   Link #341
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, she will. You just wait.

Old 2008-11-12, 09:27   Link #342
Liddo-kun
is this so?

It's a little late but does anyone know how Alto found Sheryl's lost earring?
I can't recall the scene on how he found it after Sheryl lost it when they hid underground during a Vajra attack.
Old 2008-11-12, 10:25   Link #343
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
It's a little late but does anyone know how Alto found Sheryl's lost earring?
I can't recall the scene on how he found it after Sheryl lost it when they hid underground during a Vajra attack.
It's either lost during the battle or the cleanup command found it during salvaging the vajra corps. If I remember Leon had a small fold quartz piece although i do not know if this is the same that Alto lost.
Old 2009-09-27, 17:23   Link #344
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

This one was one of those "we will make you think it is a recap but we will in fact make a exposition of all the important plot points till now that hadn't been revealed. We hope you do miss them when you fast forward thinking it's a recap!" type of episode. I'm not sure if I like the direction this is going to go given that it seems they will have Sheril play the victim role (meet Mary Sue) and Ranka the political tool, which will somehow strain her relationship with Alto (I see it coming) but whatever....
Old 2009-09-27, 17:27   Link #345
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
This one was one of those "we will make you think it is a recap but we will in fact make a exposition of all the important plot points till now that hadn't been revealed. We hope you do miss them when you fast forward thinking it's a recap!" type of episode. I'm not sure if I like the direction this is going to go given that it seems they will have Sheril play the victim role (meet Mary Sue) and Ranka the political tool, which will somehow strain her relationship with Alto (I see it coming) but whatever....
I think it's unfair (and inaccurate) to label ANY character in Frontier a "Mary Sue." There's no one who is clearly a stand-in for the writer, and there are no late additions to the cast who take over the story, which I believe are the two greatest hallmarks of a Mary Sue.
Old 2009-09-27, 17:30   Link #346
Proto

I'm just writing this as I see. I have not seen the whole series, which is what you need in order to analyze anything in perspective, but from the setting so far, it seems clear to me that Sheryl will be placed in a "aww, feel sorry for me" type of role when everything she holds dear crumbles down. I may be wrong though there, and I may have been as well wrong to call her Mary Sue though on retrospective (5 minutes retrospective actually). Aw well, who knows, there are still 10 episodes remaining.
Old 2009-09-27, 17:39   Link #347
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I'm just writing this as I see. I have not seen the whole series, which is what you need in order to analyze anything in perspective, but from the setting so far, it seems clear to me that Sheryl will be placed in a "aww, feel sorry for me" type of role when everything she holds dear crumbles down. I may be wrong though there, and I may have been as well wrong to call her Mary Sue though on retrospective (5 minutes retrospective actually). Aw well, who knows, there are still 10 episodes remaining.
I'm not saying you're wrong about Sheryl's role (I'm not saying you're right either, though ), but I don't think a character forced into a tragic role is what a "Mary Sue" is. Nor is a character designed to elicit sympathy or pity.

A Mary Sue, again, is either an obvious stand-in for the writer to live vicariously through, or else an addition to an established cast who takes over the story and becomes the darling of everyone except the viewer.

It's also a term that applies most directly to fan-fiction. I've seen very few genuine examples of Mary Sues in TV shows (or books or movies) themselves. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's relatively rare, I think.
Old 2009-09-27, 17:42   Link #348
Proto

Point taken. Commentary taken back.
Old 2009-09-27, 17:49   Link #349
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Point taken. Commentary taken back.
Sorry if I came off as harsh. "Mary Sue" criticisms are one of my pet peeves...

Now...GET BACK TO WATCHING! RANKA ATTAAAAAAAAAAACK!
Closed Thread