AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-09-24, 22:53   Link #1
Puddingman

Would you recommend "Spice and Wolf"?

Hey all! I'm thinking about sometime soon exploring Spice and Wolf. I saw it on TV once or twice and it looked kinda cool. I'm usually into "supernatural" anime or anime with darker themes. And to be honest, I'm a little shy of the semi-nudity about this series (and also what people would think if I told them about the show).
I'm interested to explore different types of shows though too. Would anyone recommend this show to me? Or what are your general thoughts about it? (But please, no spoilers)
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 23:06   Link #2
XGeneral2000

There's some semi-nudity, but it's not played for fanservice and it's pretty tame. S&W isn't really considered a fanservice/ecchi series.

I don't know if it's really that supernatural or dark - it's no Madoka, that's for sure. Spice and Wolf is basically the exploration of Kraft Lawrence's and Holo's relationship with a medieval economic backdrop. The plot can be very slow, and there's little in the way of action. However, Lawrence and Holo are probably my favorite couple in anime, and I felt the romance was handled very maturely. They're not your typical stupid tsundere pair - they're well-adjusted adults that are very aware of their feelings toward each other. Plus, the dialogue can be pure gold.

It's slow, but Spice and Wolf is an excellent show. I would definitely recommend it.
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 02:47   Link #3
Undertaker

S&W is a fantastic show, XGeneral pretty much gave you the premises of the show.

If you like fantasy, light romance, and guilds, you would absolutely love it.
Old 2011-09-25, 06:56   Link #4
HasuMasu
*Artist

A little on the dialogue-heavy side, but
if you don't mind such, then I find you could
enjoy it.
Old 2011-09-25, 10:26   Link #5
Elegance

Its supernatural but it doesnt rely on the supernatural genre. And the darkness comes and goes. Though the plot is good. Its a slow pace romance between a wolf diety and a merchant. Though i would still recommend this series.
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 12:26   Link #6
Puddingman

Thanks all! I'll be sure to check it out in the near future and let you know what I think!
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 18:14   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You watch it and you watch it post haste!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 03:37   Link #8
terazax
ISO my Holo

Send a message via MSN to terazax
i would 100% recommend it, it turned out to be one of my all time favorites =)
terazax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 05:20   Link #9
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
It really depends on how much you do not like the nudity.. The show is great and the second season is ok.. The first season is far better than the second.. Yes I would recommend it, howver, i would only do so if the nudity does not bug you to much.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 11:49   Link #10
syke123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
It really depends on how much you do not like the nudity.. The show is great and the second season is ok.. The first season is far better than the second.. Yes I would recommend it, howver, i would only do so if the nudity does not bug you to much.
There isn't any real nudity excluding holo's skin, and when she does get naked they scale her breasts to the point where you can't even tell if she has any. Compared to other genre in the same ratings, where they resize a 14 year old girls breasts to where you'd think she had implants and then dress her up in a bathing suit, which is excruciatingly degrading to women. Then no I wouldn't call the nudity in spice and wolf, worthy of disrupting the viewers experience. Take in account this is meant for a mature audience.

Spoiler for Spice and Wolf:

Last edited by syke123; 2011-09-26 at 22:14.
syke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 12:04   Link #11
Puddingman

Yea the nudity thing isn't too big a deal. I mean, Holo is cute IMO but I'd be a little shy about talking to people about the anime if they got a bad impression of it or something. And from what everyone is saying it doesn't sound like it's in bad taste.

I'll have to adjust for sure to the story. I don't think I've watched any kind of show where the main focus was a relationship. I did see some of it on TV and the landscapes and things caught my attention enough anyways.

Quote:
Also the 2nd season bore less plot to the expense of proving a more conclusive ending
Thanks for that heads up, I'll know how to adjust my preferences for that.
Old 2011-09-26, 22:13   Link #12
syke123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
Thanks for that heads up, I'll know how to adjust my preferences for that.
They were most likely bracing for the inevitable, also sorry for the spoiler.
syke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 22:17   Link #13
Puddingman

Quote:
They were most likely bracing for the inevitable, also sorry for the spoiler.
\

No problem at all! Didn't seem to spoil anything for me =)
Old 2013-03-21, 23:45   Link #14
tedybearsoka

i would recommend watching it i loved it when i watched but i didn't really like the ending
tedybearsoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 23:55   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is probably one of the most "grown up" anime I can recommend and I mean that in the actual *GROWNUP* sense of the term (not juvenile nude festiness). It has a relationship that develops in a grown up leisurely way, the economic plots are well-researched, the world setting and story plotline is as good as anything on prime time.

My only complaint is that it needs a third season to draw the anime to a close it down (the light novel is complete).

The endings of season 1 and 2 are fair (ending on an adventure's conclusion and progress in the relationship) and the OVAs between the two seasons are worth the time.
Old 2013-03-22, 01:28   Link #16
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, since everyone already give their opinion regarding the matter, I will just a litle bit as a fan of Hasekura-sensei. The banter between two main cast in this title is the best I've ever seen in an anime, even surpassing his other work magdala de nemure. The dialogue is witty, sometimes full of sexual tension, yet not blatant enough to be something vulgar. Holo is also one of my favourite female lead too. Clever, witty, cheerful, yet is actually very prone to loneliness and a bit tsundere-ish(in non physical way of tsun).

I guess the downside of the anime is, it's not complete until you read the complete novel. Luckily, yen press seems to be doing a good job with the novel translation so far.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 08:24   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I watch it for the economics.

What? Doesn't everyone?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 08:44   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Guys (especially to tedy who necrod this thread), you do realize that the OP was asking this question in 2011 right? And he already got his answers a long time ago.
Old 2013-03-22, 13:02   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yes, but there are always new fans to ensnare.
Old 2013-03-22, 20:55   Link #20
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It is probably one of the most "grown up" anime I can recommend and I mean that in the actual *GROWNUP* sense of the term (not juvenile nude festiness). It has a relationship that develops in a grown up leisurely way, the economic plots are well-researched, the world setting and story plotline is as good as anything on prime time.

My only complaint is that it needs a third season to draw the anime to a close it down (the light novel is complete).

The endings of season 1 and 2 are fair (ending on an adventure's conclusion and progress in the relationship) and the OVAs between the two seasons are worth the time.

Will they make a third season that completes the story?