Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-02, 16:00   Link #361
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm not sure about the chemistry. He tails along with her, enabling and agreeing, right up to the point he breaks and drags her from Arata's home. I'm not sure they understand each other at all.
I was thinking it was the fact that they can so easily mess with each other and bicker without it even denting their relationship. That to me suggests a very close bond.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:00   Link #362
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So he basically blames himself for not being there when his Grandfather had a relapse because he was at a Karuta tournament. First of its not his fault that his grandfather had a relapse and i'm sure his grandfather wanted him to go to the tournament instead of being home with him.
That's the rational way to think about it. But people aren't rational.

I'm reminded of a line in said by someone who wasn't there as his wife died in childbirth (out to save the world). It went something like "You can forgive me, she can forgive me, and you can start a petition signed by everyone on the continent saying they forgive me, but I can't forgive myself, and it's final."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:18   Link #363
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm not sure about the chemistry. He tails along with her, enabling and agreeing, right up to the point he breaks and drags her from Arata's home. I'm not sure they understand each other at all.
Well, Chihaya doesn't really understand anyone, be it Taichi or Arata. As for Taichi, his feelings for Chihaya tend to take the better of him, but he probably is the one who understands Chihaya the most.

As for whether Chihaya will end up with Arata or alone, I'll play devil advocate (or maybe not) and say she's going to end up with Taichi.
Old 2011-11-02, 16:25   Link #364
Kirarakim

Well episode 5 is way too early to say who will end up with who. People who read further in the manga have an unfair advantage here.

I did read Chihaya's reaction to Arata as the fact that she had feelings for him that even she didn't realize. However I definitely wouldn't discount Taichi out just yet.

Like I said previously I just hope no matter what happens they all get a happy ending.
Old 2011-11-02, 16:47   Link #365
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Like I said previously I just hope no matter what happens they all get a happy ending.
A husband and a paramour, hmm.. was that ever done before in a anime/manga?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:57   Link #366
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
A husband and a paramour, hmm..
I support this.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:03   Link #367
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Or they could go down the yaoi route. I'd support it purely for the poetic irony.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 17:12   Link #368
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
A husband and a paramour, hmm.. was that ever done before in a anime/manga?
LOL well I wasn't thinking that (although I wouldn't mind a threesome ).

But I figure who ever doesn't end up with Chihaya will end up falling in love with someone else or they find happiness in a different way than love (this is a series about Karuta after all). At least that is what I hope. I don't want anyone to end the series bitterly.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:52   Link #369
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... well, ep 5 was pretty good. 7/10 vote from me.

Chihaya still remains torturously dense ... poor Taichi.

I also agree that very likely Chihaya will not end up with anyone. Karuta still holds the place of primary importance for her right now imo.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:10   Link #370
Kazu-kun

Leaving our incipient shipping war aside, I hope episode 6 will cover both chapter 11 AND 12 of the manga, because chapter 11 is a bit boring but chapter 12 has a few Taichi moments (related to Karuta) that I really want to see animated.

And if the series keep that pacing, episode 7 and 8 are going to be awesome.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:52   Link #371
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

i definitely enjoyed episode 5. i was very pleased to see that taichi and chihaya's relationship wasn't stagnated by time or age they still have great chemistry.

it was also nice to see that chihaya, despite dolled up, is still giving out kicks. it's hilarious.

that said, i'm rooting so hard for taichi. i can't even articulate why, i think arata is an awesome character too but he just doesn't interest me as much :/ he's adorable though, but for some reason i can't just picture him with chihaya.

and i know some people may think chihaya favours arata (and i agree) but not in a romantic sense, i think she idealises him, looks up to him, and she said this episode she looks to him as a karuta god. not to mention, in her eyes, he gave her meaning in life an taichi can't even hold a candle to that sorry to say

i'm not a manga reader, but i hope chihaya starts to show her romantic inclinations. i know she's not that sort of character but i'm looking forward to it.
Old 2011-11-02, 21:05   Link #372
Razziell22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's not a shame, it's meaningless. So just forget about it, sit back, and enjoy the interaction between Chihaya and Taichi.
Yeah, know she's a minor character and it's meaningless, but just like Haak said: "It's just that some might feel there are Unfortunate Implications in that" But meh that's not gonna stop me from enjoying the interactions between Chihaya and Taichi xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
that said, i'm rooting so hard for taichi. i can't even articulate why, i think arata is an awesome character too but he just doesn't interest me as much :/ he's adorable though, but for some reason i can't just picture him with chihaya.
And this I'm rooting for Taichi as well at the moment. So far i find him to be the most interesting. He's not perfect but he is definitely not a monster.
Old 2011-11-02, 21:56   Link #373
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Chihaya really dosnt think before she acts
Old 2011-11-02, 22:25   Link #374
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But I figure who ever doesn't end up with Chihaya will end up falling in love with someone else or they find happiness in a different way than love (this is a series about Karuta after all). At least that is what I hope. I don't want anyone to end the series bitterly.
I guess that's the case, but the story is really about playing the game. The romance is there, and it's not there. So far, the progress of their relationship development is like the marathon.
My view about the show is straight forward. Chihaya and Arata started out as friends. That's about it. He's the most uncool guy in his homeroom. He's bullied and ignored by his classmates. Chihaya is the first one to fight it. Even she's young, she knows that it is not right. Taichi sees it as threat. He perceives his sweetheart is leaving for another guy. So, he bullies Arata. Why people think Arata can't get a girlfriend. It's because he's a poor and geeky guy. In the contrary, Taichi is a rich and talented guy. Nevertheless, everyone is beautified in the shoujo story.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:08   Link #375
king12354

Wasn't a great episode. I thought Arata's passion for karuta was more than that. But of course Arata predictably jumps back into the plot.

Wasn't sure why that girl was wailing either.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:04   Link #376
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I like that even though Chihaya is all bishoujo now her personality is still the same is in the flashbacks. By comparison Taichi and Arata have changed a lot more I can see. Taichi doesn't have anything resembling that mean streak he had as a kid and Arata of course has quit playing Karuta, the one thing he treasure most. I hope that having her mentor that got her into the game quit doesn't break Chihaya's spirit and that she can maybe get him back into it, but the dream match against the strongest opponent that Chihaya wanted no longer seems like a possibility.

If I had one misgiving about episode 04 it's that they went on and on about how hard it is to make Class A (kind of like going from Kyu to Dan in Go) and how it could take her 3 years to make that progress and then she's in within the episode. Perhaps I misunderstood and she's been training for 3 years already though. Anyway on to the latest episode then.

Edit: Wow I literally called every single thing that was going to happen in episode 05. I don't know if that means it's getting predictable or that I'm completely in sync with the story and characters, but I completely knew they were going to visit Fukui and find out that Arata quit because of his grandfathers death and that Chihaya was going to find out she'd actually surpassed Arata as a result. They kind of overdid the crying a bit for me, but the ending part with Arata chasing down the train was really nice. Going to have to carry on without channeling her mentor now, but I suspect that Arata will be back and that Chihaya will manage just fine. At least she still has Taichi.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-11-03 at 00:32.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:37   Link #377
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If I had one misgiving about episode 04 it's that they went on and on about how hard it is to make Class A (kind of like going from Kyu to Dan in Go) and how it could take her 3 years to make that progress and then she's in within the episode. Perhaps I misunderstood and she's been training for 3 years already though. Anyway on to the latest episode then.

Chihaya has the talent to make the quick win. Based on the show, Arata and other player can match her talent. When she was at elementary school, she can hear sound in another room. When she sits in the speeding train, she can hear sound coming from the outside.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 07:28   Link #378
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
and i know some people may think chihaya favours arata (and i agree) but not in a romantic sense, i think she idealises him, looks up to him, and she said this episode she looks to him as a karuta god. not to mention, in her eyes, he gave her meaning in life an taichi can't even hold a candle to that sorry to say
I admit when I watched the episode I felt that Chihaya favored Arata and didn't even realize her feelings yet. But I like your explanation too and it makes things more interesting for me too if it's not so clear yet if Chihaya will choose Arata or Taichi in the end.

I am not sure if I am rooting for Arata or Taichi yet but I do really like Taichi and I want him to have a fighting chance.

Quote:
i'm not a manga reader, but i hope chihaya starts to show her romantic inclinations. i know she's not that sort of character but i'm looking forward to it.
Oh I am sure she will. I mean I know the series is about Karuta and I am sure that will be a big part of the show but I think romance will be too.

I mean I would love if this series was just about friendship (we actually don't have enough of those) but I knew what I was getting into as soon as I started this series and that is a love triangle. So far it's been executed really well with making me like all the characters (that is important to me).

I just hope the fandom behaves and there are no shipping wars.
Old 2011-11-03, 08:31   Link #379
LKK

Quote:
If I had one misgiving about episode 04 it's that they went on and on about how hard it is to make Class A (kind of like going from Kyu to Dan in Go) and how it could take her 3 years to make that progress and then she's in within the episode. Perhaps I misunderstood and she's been training for 3 years already though.
Chihaya has been training for 3 years. When the trio broke apart, it was at the end of their 6th grade school year. When Chihaya wins her Class A level, it's at the beginning of 10th grade. She's been training with the karuta sensei during that 3 year period.

As a side note, Arata most likely won his Class A level while in 9th grade if you calculate out the timeline hints dropped in episodes 1, 4, and 5.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 13:19   Link #380
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Edit: Wow I literally called every single thing that was going to happen in episode 05. I don't know if that means it's getting predictable or that I'm completely in sync with the story and characters, but I completely knew they were going to visit Fukui and find out that Arata quit because of his grandfathers death and that Chihaya was going to find out she'd actually surpassed Arata as a result. They kind of overdid the crying a bit for me, but the ending part with Arata chasing down the train was really nice. Going to have to carry on without channeling her mentor now, but I suspect that Arata will be back and that Chihaya will manage just fine. At least she still has Taichi.
Well, Taichi has a girlfriend so she doesn't really "have" Taichi. He's just a "guy friend" and not a boyfriend. I bet Taichi didn't tell his gf about the train trip.

I don't think Chihaya surpassed Arata. He was clutching his certificate in one scene.

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse