AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-23, 22:51   Link #2221
sezen_atacan

Is there any indepth analysis of the Nanoha series in english? Because I think I am missing something important. Some questions are:

1)Who is Linith? From what I have seen in the anime she just appeared out of nowhere.

2)Where does the sources of magic come from?

3)Does Chrono's magic staff have a name?

4)How do you guys know the last names of some side characters when those last names are not mentioned in the anime? Maybe I forget but where did that info come from?

5) You know at the begining of the first Nanoha episode when Yuno says his ship carrying the jewel seeds is destroyed. Do we know who destroyed that ship?? Or is it really an accident?

6) Is there really a game based on this anime? aside from triangle hearts?

I might have more questions once I watch it again but there really aren't much sources in english that fills the plot holes in the first and second series. And wikipedia says only what is said in the anime.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:00   Link #2222
KBTKaiser

I'll answer that last one. Triangle Hearts 3, which is centered around Kyouya, was popular to the point that the Lyrical Magical Box(AKA fan disc) was released, featuring Nanoha with a CCS style magic wand against Chrono while Lindy filled Yuuno's role of Jewel Seed support. This then transferred into the anime, adapting the game's plot.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:14   Link #2223
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm no expert...

1) From what I gather, she's the one who took care of Fate... I heard she became part of Bardiche...Don't ask, I don't know how...

2) I don't believe they ever mention anything other then the linker core that every mage has within them... But most of it is technology, not really 'magic' in a sense...

3) You mean his first or new one? His first staff that he uses in Season 1 is S2U (Song to You) , the one he's currently using is Durandal.

4) THAT, you're going to have to do some researching =P, it's not that hard - ANN/Wiki has all that information...

5)I don't think it's ever mentioned...

6) Refer to KBTKaiser's post...
Old 2007-02-24, 01:05   Link #2224
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

For the non-anime materials, I have only read the novel and mangas, and listened to 2 Soundstage (drama) CDs out of 6. Actually I am only an newbie to the series who fell for Nanoha since less than 1 week ago. So take what I am going to say with a grain of salt.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Doraneko; 2007-02-24 at 01:24.
Old 2007-02-24, 05:32   Link #2225
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
For the non-anime materials, I have only read the novel and mangas, and listened to 2 Soundstage (drama) CDs out of 6. Actually I am only an newbie to the series who fell for Nanoha since less than 1 week ago. So take what I am going to say with a grain of salt.

Spoiler:
First of all, it's Arisa and not Alicia

Actually I don't think they got "in" the barrier, in earlier episodes of A's the barrier seemed to make the non-magical humans disappear, YnS's Magical Prison probably has the same principle.
Since no one else was seen besides Suzuka and Arisa, maybe, just maybe, they have some magic in them.
Old 2007-02-24, 05:51   Link #2226
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
First of all, it's Arisa and not Alicia

Actually I don't think they got "in" the barrier, in earlier episodes of A's the barrier seemed to make the non-magical humans disappear, YnS's Magical Prison probably has the same principle.
Since no one else was seen besides Suzuka and Arisa, maybe, just maybe, they have some magic in them.

Oh sorry for the typo . But Alicia is technically more of a ghost than Alisa, isn't she?

Saying that the barrier makes the normal people disappear is a bit odd IMO. I consider the whole barrier thing similar to the one in Haruhi, an alternate space that is connected to the current one and the two affect each other in some ways. Only people with special power can go from one space to another while the majority is not aware of the existence of the other side. Possibly the Suzuka and Alisa stayed too long with Fate and Nanoha, and some of the magic has gotten on to them. After all, Fate and Nanoha are two of the top mages in the world with magical firepower capable of creating dimensional shifts.
Old 2007-02-24, 06:14   Link #2227
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Saying that the barrier makes the normal people disappear is a bit odd IMO. I consider the whole barrier thing similar to the one in Haruhi, an alternate space that is connected to the current one and the two affect each other in some ways. Only people with special power can go from one space to another while the majority is not aware of the existence of the other side. Possibly the Suzuka and Alisa stayed too long with Fate and Nanoha, and some of the magic has gotten on to them. After all, Fate and Nanoha are two of the top mages in the world with magical firepower capable of creating dimensional shifts.
thats a really good way to think about the barrier theory but one thing that is hard to understand is that the barrier is also physical ~ can something which is supposed to be in another dimension be shattered by nanoha's SB like that? O.o my take on the barrier theory is that it is something like shana's Fuzetsu ~ but this has the added affect of normal humans being removed from the planes ~ but obviously arisa and suzaku seems to be a special case but i dont think its due to their contact with someone magical...methinks they have a hidden power which probably wont be shown

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-24, 06:52   Link #2228
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Since they were removed in other barriers, I always thought YnS's barrier was just a lot grander. Instead of a Fate/Nanoha/Wolkenritter barrier that went "all people with magic = 0 vanish", YnS used more of a "All people with magic < 1 vanish"

Thus, those two of such... notable heritage, were also included.
Old 2007-02-24, 09:44   Link #2229
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
thats a really good way to think about the barrier theory but one thing that is hard to understand is that the barrier is also physical ~ can something which is supposed to be in another dimension be shattered by nanoha's SB like that? O.o my take on the barrier theory is that it is something like shana's Fuzetsu ~ but this has the added affect of normal humans being removed from the planes ~ but obviously arisa and suzaku seems to be a special case but i dont think its due to their contact with someone magical...methinks they have a hidden power which probably wont be shown
The blue giants in Haruhi's closed space can shatter anything like mad with relatively minimal effect to the other side. I think the barrier/closed space is like a mirror of the whole world but with no life. Nevertheless, I am not exactly sure if the damages caused by Nanoha & co inside the barrier will be reflected in the real world.

I also thought Arisa and Suzuka have the potential in joining Nanoha's make-friend squad when I first watched that episode. I even thought they were going to play some major roles and kick the ass out of the boss in the coming episodes. A bit disappointed that they were not shown again until everything has been settled down. A bit of a wasted potential perhaps, but 13 episodes can't really hold too many twists and extra materials.

Or maybe they are already magical girls but have just been playing innocent all the time (and went as far as pretending to be civilians to conceal their identity when they were found in the barrier) ? After all, Nanoha had been hiding her own secret and had no intention in telling her friends about it until that incident. It is not like her friends couldn't have been doing the very same thing. Aside from the TSAB, there is the church, and probably numerous organizations that a potential magical girl can work for. God knows may be the final boss in StrikerS are Alisa and Suzuka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs View Post
Since they were removed in other barriers, I always thought YnS's barrier was just a lot grander. Instead of a Fate/Nanoha/Wolkenritter barrier that went "all people with magic = 0 vanish", YnS used more of a "All people with magic < 1 vanish"

Thus, those two of such... notable heritage, were also included.
Good point. I haven't thought about it. Probably they were not in the affected areas before? Unlike the Takamachis, the two are very rich, and probably live in big mansions at the outskirts of the city or the suburbs. But during the Christmas eve they went to the city centre for shopping, and suddenly found themselves inside the barrier.
Old 2007-02-24, 10:06   Link #2230
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Admittedly, the real reason Arisa and Suzuka were insider the barrier is because the writers wanted them to run into Nanoha and Fate during that fight, and ended up writing themselves into a plot hole.

Quote:
1)Who is Linith? From what I have seen in the anime she just appeared out of nowhere.
The story of Linith is from the second Nanoha Sound Stage drama CD, I believe.

I've noted that the Nanoha series seems to actually depend on the supplimentary media like the Sound Stages and the Manga to tell the story, more than any other anime I've seen. Witness the StrikerS manga, which is giving us a heck of a lot of the plot and character info that you'll need to make complete sense out of the StrikerS anime.

Quote:
2)Where does the sources of magic come from?

2) I don't believe they ever mention anything other then the linker core that every mage has within them... But most of it is technology, not really 'magic' in a sense...
It would be more accurate, I believe, to say that the magic comes from inherent ability that exists in people but is only strong enough to really do anything with in a very few (kinda like the Force in the Star Wars series). The TSAB have simply taken a very scientific approach in studying this energy (as opposed to the traditional approach seen in most stories involving magic). They've researched it to the point where they have been able to develop technology that the energy can be channeled through and controlled with.
Old 2007-02-24, 13:28   Link #2231
sezen_atacan

Excuse my noobness but I still have some more questions.

1) Where can I buy this Lyrical Toy Box aka Nanoha game?? Or is it freeware? Is Dark Nanoha in any of the "fan games", drama CDs and other Nanoha media?

2) Will Nanoha StrikerS make no sense if I don't read the manga or any other official media?

3) Is the manga translated? Where to buy?
Old 2007-02-24, 13:46   Link #2232
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I think Arisa and Suzuka ended up inside the barrier because YnS wanted them there. They were with Nanoha and Fate last she saw them after all...

The barriers are confusing as hell to think about and just seem like low-body-count-deus-ex to me. The biggest issue is how all the people inside fail to notice. If they're in stasis they're going to be missing a ton of time when they come out, and if they aren't and are just in some parallel space then in a well-populated area you're going to have people wandering into the edge of the barrier and wondering why they're trapped in a giant forcefield.
Old 2007-02-24, 13:49   Link #2233
KBTKaiser

1) Lyrical Box is an official fandisc, so you gotta buy that one.

Dark Nanoha is fan creation as a result of animesuki discussions on how a dark mirror version of Nanoha would turn out after we watched A's. Dragnfly there is one of the many contributors to the ever growing legend of Dark Nanoha... ^^;

2) I'm pretty sure you can enjoy the anime without support from the manga or novels. The written material fleshes out the story, so to speak.

3) No, I don't think the manga's translated. >>;
Old 2007-02-24, 14:01   Link #2234
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
1) Lyrical Box is an official fandisc, so you gotta buy that one.

Dark Nanoha is fan creation as a result of animesuki discussions on how a dark mirror version of Nanoha would turn out after we watched A's. Dragnfly there is one of the many contributors to the ever growing legend of Dark Nanoha... ^^;

2) I'm pretty sure you can enjoy the anime without support from the manga or novels. The written material fleshes out the story, so to speak.

3) No, I don't think the manga's translated. >>;

Considering Dark Nanoha was born in AnimeSuki. I think she should be AS' official Macot.
Old 2007-02-24, 16:20   Link #2235
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezen_atacan View Post
Excuse my noobness but I still have some more questions.

1) Where can I buy this Lyrical Toy Box aka Nanoha game?? Or is it freeware? Is Dark Nanoha in any of the "fan games", drama CDs and other Nanoha media?

2) Will Nanoha StrikerS make no sense if I don't read the manga or any other official media?

3) Is the manga translated? Where to buy?
1) It is no longer being sold so you would probably need to try your luck in the auction sites. Here is the intro page in the official site. FYI, there is no translation patch available.
http://www.sp-janis.com/soft/trh_box2_1.shtml

2) The StrikerS anime has not yet been broadcasted so no one can tell. But from the production team's previous records, the anime alone would provide enough details for >98% of the content, while the <2% minor stuff like certain unknown characters suddenly come and go is probably made to lobby fans to buy the CDs/novel/manga. (^_^ ;; )

3) Not in an official sense. But scanlations can be found in the usual places. Here is the official tankoubon release of the A's manga.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%AD%94%E6...e=UTF8&s=books

Quote:
The barriers are confusing as hell to think about and just seem like low-body-count-deus-ex to me. The biggest issue is how all the people inside fail to notice. If they're in stasis they're going to be missing a ton of time when they come out, and if they aren't and are just in some parallel space then in a well-populated area you're going to have people wandering into the edge of the barrier and wondering why they're trapped in a giant forcefield.
I somehow feel that StrikerS will come with some epic battle scenes with high body count. The manga is certainly not shy from showing more explicit and violent scenes like Nanoha getting seriously injured and with blood all over her. Maybe they will make some true, gruesome battle scenes (like those in the WW2/Vietnam war Hollywood movies? ) instead of the divine-buster-you-into-friends! kind of harmless eyecandy action. Seriously, receiving a direct hit that is strong enough to cause dimensional shifts should be more than falling unconsciousness.

Anyway I think the barrier is not meant to transfer the whole population in an enclosed area to an alternate space, but rather, transfer the "fighters" to a new "arena" that is a mirror of the original area. The public should not be affected unless the barrier breaks. At that time the real world will be merged with the splitted mirror world again. People wandering into the edge won't notice anything at all unless they have enough magical power to be able to enter the mirror world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Considering Dark Nanoha was born in AnimeSuki. I think she should be AS' official Macot.
Is there any Dark Nanoha fan art/fiction around?

Last edited by Doraneko; 2007-02-24 at 16:34.
Old 2007-02-24, 16:40   Link #2236
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Quote:
Anyway I think the barrier is not meant to transfer the whole population in an enclosed area to an alternate space, but rather, transfer the "fighters" to a new "arena" that is a mirror of the original area.
So what you're saying is:

barrier = Dividing Driver
Nanoha = GaoGaiGar
Raising/Raging Heart = Goldien Hammer?
Old 2007-02-24, 17:35   Link #2237
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
So what you're saying is:

barrier = Dividing Driver
Nanoha = GaoGaiGar
Raising/Raging Heart = Goldien Hammer?
Haven't seen GaoGaiGar so I can't comment on that. But my barrier view is copied from Itsuki's explanation of the closed space in Haruhi's world :P. The difference is that in that world Haruhi controls the closed space (albeit in an unconscious manner), while in Nanoha's world anyone with sufficient magical power can do so.
Old 2007-02-24, 17:56   Link #2238
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Haven't seen GaoGaiGar so I can't comment on that. But my barrier view is copied from Itsuki's explanation of the closed space in Haruhi's world :P. The difference is that in that world Haruhi controls the closed space (albeit in an unconscious manner), while in Nanoha's world anyone with sufficient magical power can do so.

reminds me more of the Barriers form X/1999. So long as person setup the Barrier survives, any damage done inside the barrier won't appear in the real world. But when the person who setup the barrier is kill the damage to the area inside the barrier becomes real.
Old 2007-02-24, 22:02   Link #2239
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

OH MY F-ing GOD!

You guys will NEVER guess who the voice actor for Acoss is!!!

It's Daisuke Ono... As in the SAME Daisuke Ono that voice Itsuki Koizumi in SHnY!!!
Old 2007-02-24, 22:18   Link #2240
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I apologize wholeheartedly for the confusion about Dark Nanoha. It's truly outgrown it's usual meme status in that more people seem to think she's real than not. But in truth I get a real kick out of it

I'm trying to decide if StrikerS DN would be loli, hot in that succubus type of way, or thin and boney.
Closed Thread