AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-03-18, 20:13   Link #14021
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I actually had to look this up, unfortunately. So they're the ones behind all the removals on YouTube? Huh.

Man, the Wikipedia article is hilariously biased against them.
Only in the way that reality has a liberal bias.

Some stuff I've been wondering about the VN:
1. Since it's mostly being told from Kyon's perspective, are you planning on having him appear on-screen during his lines, or is he going to be treated like a typical VN protagonist?
2. What is the default screen size you're thinking of using?
3. Multiple characters on screen at once, or just one at a time?
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 21:07   Link #14022
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Man, writing Haruki is as fun as ever. Why don't I do this more often?
Only you have the answer to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
Oh, I was assuming that we'd want to do a commercial work since we'd be paying people to animate it. Some way of recouping losses or something like that.
Before even considering hired hands we need funding and something for them to actually adapt.

Quote:
All I want is a VN, man.
I want a lot of things. But I'm not too concerned about getting any of them at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
Have you got a tree diagram for the plot progression? Don't spoiler it here though.
If you don't, I suggest using some online spreadsheet program like Google docs where the writing team can build one collectively.
You can then budget the number of words the writing needs.
I think it's time to expand the writing team to more than just Kaisos and myself. But this requires more than just communication via forum posts to pull off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
1. Since it's mostly being told from Kyon's perspective, are you planning on having him appear on-screen during his lines, or is he going to be treated like a typical VN protagonist?
1. Probably your typical VN protagonist, but will appear in CGs and where he does not command the POV.
2. Beats me.
3. Multiple people on screen at once is a given for the group scenes, but I think most of the dialogue Kyon has is one on one conversation.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 22:03   Link #14023
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I think it's time to expand the writing team to more than just Kaisos and myself. But this requires more than just communication via forum posts to pull off.
I'm willing to help in the VN, though my knowledge when it comes to them is... comparable to Mikuru's knowledge of boats
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 22:43   Link #14024
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
I'm in law school.
Actual graduate-school-type law school, or a high school that focuses on law? 'Cause if you're 16 and in grad school... damn, man.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 23:57   Link #14025
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Have you got a tree diagram for the plot progression? Don't spoiler it here though.
If you don't, I suggest using some online spreadsheet program like Google docs where the writing team can build one collectively.
You can then budget the number of words the writing needs.
You totally missed it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Like Danchou said, treated like a typical VN protagonist. I'm really thinking of using Key's usual user interface, so...

If we can do it, whatever resolution widescreen is. Because fullscreen is for losers like me with an CRT monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm willing to help in the VN, though my knowledge when it comes to them is... comparable to Mikuru's knowledge of boats
Ah yes. Programmers. We do need those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Actual graduate-school-type law school, or a high school that focuses on law? 'Cause if you're 16 and in grad school... damn, man.
You didn't know this?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 00:19   Link #14026
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Like Danchou said, treated like a typical VN protagonist. I'm really thinking of using Key's usual user interface, so...

If we can do it, whatever resolution widescreen is. Because fullscreen is for losers like me with an CRT monitor.
Ah, and since we only use Kyonko's perspective for when we want the reader to know what Kyon can't see, we don't need images of him for those scenes either...

I think VNs designed for widescreen have a windowed size of 800x600. Lessee, the typical amount of characters that can be on-screen at once in a VN (or at least, the ones I've played) is 3, so that gives something over 200 pixels of width per character, depending on how much space you want to leave between them. Usually visible down to their thighs, depending on how tall the character is. The character files in Ren'Py are .png, but I'm not sure how indicative that is of typical VNs... I'll have to check Blade Engine for more information.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 01:33   Link #14027
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Ah, and since we only use Kyonko's perspective for when we want the reader to know what Kyon can't see, we don't need images of him for those scenes either...
Not entirely. Kyon will probably be seen from Kyonko's perspective a couple of times.

I'd prefer to not rely on interludes/alternate perspectives however, given that part of the reason Haruhi is what it is (and why it can be such a mindfuck if treated properly) is the incredibly limited perspective.

In other news, here's some rewrite material. Now stop complaining that I don't write anything.

Spoiler for Boredom Part I dun remember:

Now I need to come up with something for the cheerleading scene. Since Kyonko won't stand for wearing an outfit like that, we're left with the FUCK YEAH OUENDAN from that one doujin... The problem is how to get this to work, as the female team isn't going to be affected by young men in gakurans as the male team was by young girls in skimpy outfits.

I'll come up with something, but suggestions would be GREAT.
Old 2009-03-19, 02:19   Link #14028
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
You didn't know this?
I knew he was in a law-oriented school; I just didn't realize it was that high-level.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 03:05   Link #14029
ijuinkun

A random thought: Somewhere in the multiverse there exists a world in which Haruki and company are the normal SOS-dan, and Haruhi is the gender-reversal.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 03:10   Link #14030
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
FUCK YEAH OUENDAN
I couldn't help but think of that on Motteke! Sailor Fuku! when I read it.

In other news, attempting to make a theme has been slowed down due to my computer being a bit fucked up and the akwardness mentioned in the group discussion.

Last edited by Joe4evr; 2009-03-19 at 03:41.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 03:23   Link #14031
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
A random thought: Somewhere in the multiverse there exists a world in which Haruki and company are the normal SOS-dan, and Haruhi is the gender-reversal.
Pretty much. Which means we need to see their reactions to our regular SOS-dan characters.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:03   Link #14032
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:

Now I need to come up with something for the cheerleading scene. Since Kyonko won't stand for wearing an outfit like that, we're left with the FUCK YEAH OUENDAN from that one doujin... The problem is how to get this to work, as the female team isn't going to be affected by young men in gakurans as the male team was by young girls in skimpy outfits.

I'll come up with something, but suggestions would be GREAT.
How about this.
The opposing team are so disturbed from seeing a shouting maniac and a crying shouta that the pitcher starts throwing balls and fouls.
This encourages Haruki, going, "You're doing GREAT KYON! Let me reward you<3!" and starts striping like Hosaka, exposing his chest and the macho cliche dragon motif underlining embroidery in his gakuran.
That shocks and pisses off the opposing team, and they start getting real serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
And in that universe; the opposite gender versions of ourselves are posting in the Haruki Suzumiya no Seitenkan forum.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:17   Link #14033
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
How about this.
The opposing team are so disturbed from seeing a shouting maniac and a crying shouta that the pitcher starts throwing balls and fouls.
This encourages Haruki, going, "You're doing GREAT KYON! Let me reward you<3!" and starts striping like Hosaka, exposing his chest and the macho cliche dragon motif underlining embroidery in his gakuran.
That shocks and pisses off the opposing team, and they start getting real serious...
This is made of WIN.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 08:21   Link #14034
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
"M, may the best wi...... Gyaa!"

Before he could finish, a high angled straight ball came shooting his way... straight into his gut.

Asahina-senpai doubled over in pain, as the pitcher began to apologize with a 'Woops, my bad. You okay?', a slight smirk on her face That bitch, how dare she hurt Asahina-senpai!

Maybe I should find out Haruki's policy on hitting girls...

“Suck it up, Mitsuuru-kun!”

And he doesn't appear to care at all.

The umpire ruled it a foul, and after he stood up, Asahina-senpai had become as stiff as a Buddha statute, and only looked silently as all three pitches flew past him.
Um... hitting the batter is an automatic walk
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:16   Link #14035
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
According to the archive post this one is part 4 of Boredom.

Updated, by the way.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:19   Link #14036
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
According to the archive post this one is part 4 of Boredom.

Updated, by the way.
Thanks...

Quote:
How about this.
This works. I like it.

Quote:
Um... hitting the batter is an automatic walk
This is why you don't get me to write baseball scenes. I KNOW NOTHING

Guess that gets changed, though I still did want Kyonko to have some concern for him, and I thought that would be the right way to do it.

Poor Muttsuuru gets no love then.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:57   Link #14037
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well the mere attempt at hitting him should be enough for Kyonko's "big sis" instincts to kick in, as well as give Mitsuuru enough of a reason to be too scared to do anything at the plate from that point on.
Old 2009-03-19, 14:00   Link #14038
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Well the mere attempt at hitting him should be enough for Kyonko's "big sis" instincts to kick in, as well as give Mitsuuru enough of a reason to be too scared to do anything at the plate from that point on.
Muttsuuru is SLIGHTLY more capable than Mikuru is, hence why Kyonko's "big sis" instincts don't activate as easily Kyon's "I MUST PROTECT THE MAID" reactions.

Muttsuuru just looks worse because he's SO UNMANLY.

But I guess that works.
Old 2009-03-19, 14:13   Link #14039
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Kyon started flipping out because the pitcher threw a fastball. I think almost hitting Mitsuuru would be enough.

Alternative: Keep Mitsuuru getting hit, but have Haruki get out by a fly ball. His motivation here is to show off for Kyonko, and making a "stupid mistake" like that would be enough to put him in a foul mood like the one Haruhi waws in after Kyon struck out... and somehow have him blame it on Mitsuuru.

Now, I didn't say it was a good idea, just an alternative
Old 2009-03-19, 15:22   Link #14040
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
How about this.
That doesn't really feel like the Haruhi series.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan