ookamigirl

#13 Final

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 15:01   Link #1042
kuromitsu

Well, I trust the Yamato x Hibiki fans are happy now... :P

For me the episode pretty much went "blahblahblah -> OMG DAICHI'S DEMON AAAAWWWWW -> OMG EVERYONE'S DEMONS -> some stuff happens including Hibiki creating some William Blake-esque Lucifer, and Yamato and Hibiki probably swearing eternal love or whatever -> omg Daichi and Hibiki aaaaaww -> THE BFF TRIO FORMS AGAIN, YAY! -> oh hey, here's everyone else -> well Hibiki, you're dumped for the time being so go back to Daichi & Io and have adorable slice of life adventures with them (this is the point where I'd normally look for fanart/doujin but with this show there's no point).

Anyway, as someone who went into this anime without any preconceptions of how it "should" be, latched onto the Hibiki, Daichi & Io trio at the start, and cared about them, I enjoyed the show for what it was: a nice way to spend 20 minutes on Thursdays. I got my "aaawww" moments, the BFF moments, even some shippy moments, plus some funny parts, and also some great visuals. I would've liked some more Daichi and/or Io and/or the BFF trio in general, but whatever, I liked what I got. So all in all I'm satisfied.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 15:19   Link #1043
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
For me the episode pretty much went "blahblahblah -> OMG DAICHI'S DEMON AAAAWWWWW -> OMG EVERYONE'S DEMONS -> some stuff happens including Hibiki creating some William Blake-esque Lucifer, and Yamato and Hibiki probably swearing eternal love or whatever -> omg Daichi and Hibiki aaaaaww -> THE BFF TRIO FORMS AGAIN, YAY! -> oh hey, here's everyone else -> well Hibiki, you're dumped for the time being so go back to Daichi & Io and have adorable slice of life adventures with them (this is the point where I'd normally look for fanart/doujin but with this show there's no point).
This sounds about right to me but I have to admit I was actually laughing when Hibiki got rejected.

On the bright side this show made me build up enough Fujoshi bait resistance for Free!
Old 2013-06-27, 15:23   Link #1044
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
This sounds about right to me but I have to admit I was actually laughing when Hibiki got rejected.
I had to chortle at that, too. All that running and "omg I have to meet Yamato!" and then bam, YOU'RE REJECTED, BUDDY. XD (Also note the police car behind him, maybe he's going to be taken away, too. )
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 15:24   Link #1045
ChampDream
Alive

epic fight, epic ending, epic series.
that was a really great final episode for a really great series.
Old 2013-06-27, 16:32   Link #1046
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Metatron: ....Hibiki, cursed son of man, screw you for making my animated debut be a freaking fusion component.

EDIT: A crap ending to a crap show. The pacing was terrible, events had no buildup, the characters weren't fleshed out enough for future events involving them to have any meaningful impact, the fight choreography was dull...it's shit as a standalone anime and it's even shittier as an adaptation. My ranking of it among the MegaTen anime:

P4:TA>Devil Children>Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Persona Trinity Soul=Tokyo Revelations=DeSu2:TA

I sure as hell hope that if they ever adapt DeSu 1 they keep Kishi the fuck away from it.

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2013-06-27 at 19:31.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 16:35   Link #1047
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Zzzzzzz. The only good part of the final episode was the fusion to create Helel/Lucifer. Pretty poor series overall. Bland and underdeveloped character and an extremely predictable story (how can you get invested when you know exactly how it's going to end halfway through?). Seiji Kishi really dropped the ball on this one, assuming it's not the original material that was weak. I'm worried about Danganronpa now.
Old 2013-06-27, 18:19   Link #1048
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The end was pretty damn weird with Hibiki just breaking down in tears. I guess he was really banking on the Yamato route .

Overall it went as expected. Not a bad route going with his friends demons being sent to him and the rapid fusions. That was pretty fun. Expected that everyone would be revived. The world continues on and maybe Daichi now has a pretty decent chance with Io .

A pretty odd way to walk away from the series though. Hibiki breaking down and then silently standing up. Overall it at least got me interested in checking out the game even if it wasn't a great series.
Old 2013-06-27, 18:25   Link #1049
Moeterum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
^Same here (although I don't mind resets so I care even less xD). I'm in this for the BFF trio, as long as they get a happy end and I get some sappy scene that makes me go "aaaawwww" I don't really care.

I'll also continue to be the non-gamer minority who thinks this episode was pretty good, except it was pretty cheap that Yamato didn't die after all that drama with Alcor. (How did he stay alive, anyway? For that matter, I still don't know since when he can levitate. Oh well, I don't particularly care.) The seiyuu are doing some pretty nice work, and although I've seen better animation, the visuals continue to be striking and well-directed. Also, aww everyone who died. Daichi~ Io~ That ending is really effective.

(Btw re: all this talk of shipping - if I shipped anyone in this cast it would be Daichi and Hibiki. They're so adorable. I wouldn't even say no to some fanart, but I don't need to check pixiv to know that it's all about Yamato x Hibiki and Alcor x Hibiki over there, so... I'll just take what I can get from the show. xD)
Team Daichi x Hibiki for the win!
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 18:44   Link #1050
Kirarakim

I actually kind of preferred Hibiki/Alcor but one sided Hibiki/Yamato works out too

And actually I think Io/Daichi is plausible as well.

Also the ending was definitely friendship trumps all. I highly approve.

Although in all seriousness I wish I better understood what Hibiki was thankful for concerning Yamato. Was he thankful that he smiled?
Old 2013-06-27, 19:07   Link #1051
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Although in all seriousness I wish I better understood what Hibiki was thankful for concerning Yamato. Was he thankful that he smiled?
I think he was just happy that Yamato still existed in the new world. Maybe.

I wasn't too happy with this episode. I think I was mostly bothered by how "weird" the voice acting seemed in this episode. Like there were parts where it seemed like the emotions they were using for the voice didn't quite fit the picture... or it just felt.... half-hearted?

Maybe it was just me. I definitely don't speak Japanese, after all....

Anyway, I guess it's better to just play the game for a more satisfying ending....
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 19:34   Link #1052
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Assuming it's not the original material that was weak.
What made DeSu 2 story's interesting in the game (though not as good as DeSu 1's) was, despite having a poor man's Evangelion plot at the base, the character development and interaction in the game as well as utilizing the mythologies/MegaTen background at times to give the story an interesting enough flavor to hold the player's interest. The anime pretty much stripped all of that away and you get, well, a poor man's wannabe Evangelion.
Old 2013-06-27, 20:29   Link #1053
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Metatron: ....Hibiki, cursed son of man, screw you for making my animated debut be a freaking fusion component.
Hue

That Yamato smiles at the end was...err, let's just say I squealed so hard when I watch it Oh I've heard that while Kishi is the director(?), he didn't do any story board on this one?

Also Alcor better damn fix his demon app. Hibiki only can share demons and got fusion system during the last day :|

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 20:50   Link #1054
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Also Alcor better damn fix his demon app. Hibiki only can share demons and got fusion system during the last day :|
I'm more likely to believe Hibiki was incompetent and didn't bother looking at the options in the DSP. I mean c'mon, all that hax and he wasn't able to keep any allies alive for the final battle with Yamato? Worst MegaTen protagonist showing ever.
Old 2013-06-27, 21:55   Link #1055
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I seriously thought Hibiki was gonna fight Polaris and use Armageddon on him to force him to revert the time. Oh well

question though, why was Helel called Lucifer?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 22:00   Link #1056
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
question though, why was Helel called Lucifer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helel

Because they're one and the same.

Helel is transliterated from Hebrew ( הֵילֵל ).

The Megami Tensei franchise is no different. Sometimes they call him Lucifer (like in the Devil Survivor series), and other times (like the English version of Persona 3) they called him Helel.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 22:03   Link #1057
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well not to bad of an ending kind of weird they pull that at the end oh the power of friendship

6/10 this would of been better if it was 26eps
Old 2013-06-27, 22:11   Link #1058
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helel

Because they're one and the same.

Helel is transliterated from Hebrew ( הֵילֵל ).

The Megami Tensei franchise is no different. Sometimes they call him Lucifer (like in the Devil Survivor series), and other times (like the English version of Persona 3) they called him Helel.
no wonder Lucifer and Helel looked pretty similar. The other one was an angel, the other a demon. I think they were only separated in Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 22:29   Link #1059
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
no wonder Lucifer and Helel looked pretty similar. The other one was an angel, the other a demon. I think they were only separated in Persona 3 and Persona 4.
Or SMT2 and Abbadon King, where he use both forms in different occasions.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 23:02   Link #1060
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Separated? Just making sure, but the names aren't exclusive to the forms, if that's what you're thinking. Helel isn't just the angel and Lucifer isn't just the demon. He just happened to be renamed to Helel in the English version of Persona while he was still called Lucifer in the Japanese version.

Lucifer has quite a few forms throughout the franchise, from a child to an adult to a wheelchair bound man, to a six winged devil, to a six-winged angel, and to a twelve-winged form that combines both his angel and devil designs.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona