AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Down with post counts?
Yes 47 53.41%
No 41 46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 18:17   Link #21
7thMethuselah

I don't really see a need to remove post count. There will always be people who just post to get attention. Or who post one liners with no substance. Often I see mods simply deleting those posts with a msg like "if you have nothing to say don't bother posting". Also alot of threads seem to have the "explain what you mean rule" these days which i find a very good thing.

Sure I posted a few one liners as well but I think (I hope so ) that most of my posts actually made a contribution ....
Old 2004-05-03, 18:47   Link #22
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
A good compromise would be to stop displaying post count in posts but it will be still visible in the person's profile.
and it'll make the page lighter to generate for the server . other forums do so ... so why not?

edit: i want the old forum post count back!!!! (i just read nosanninwa post )
Old 2004-05-03, 19:05   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Here's an interesting example of how meaningless post count is. My appologies to Thany for exposing these statistics.

Thany: 1,014 posts total
373 in Rate that Avatar
189 in Rate That Signature!

That means that more than half of Thany's posts were devoted to ratings. Only 452 posts were devoted to actual discussion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:24   Link #24
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
373 in Rate that Avatar
That simply proves that something must be done about the "Rate that Avatar" and "Rate That Signature" threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir woods
It not only encourages spam, it also encourages holier-than-thou attitudes.
While post count may encourage "holier-than-thou attitudes", I have the impression that asking for it's removal is also another way of being "holier-than-thou" since it allows certain people to show that they are more "elite" than others.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:26   Link #25
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I voted no, tricky question, specially for non-english speakers like me. Slade, you mean guy!

As the newbie I am I kind of like the post count feature, but honestly I only noticed my 200 post because it was impressive for me, but then I just didn't notice when I passed the 300 post, eventually it becomes a trivial thing IMO.

Besides at this point I've never seen discrimination towards someone based solely on the post count, what I've seen is completly the opposite, like encouragment to someone who is about to reach his/her 1000 post.

But if many people don't like it, it would be okay to show it in the profile and remove it from every post you made.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:58   Link #26
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
That simply proves that something must be done about the "Rate that Avatar" and "Rate That Signature" threads.
A few months ago I suggested that another forum be created where people can spam, but no posts in that forum count as part of your post count. The idea was shot down by the "post count is worthless" crowd, though.

If we do get rid of the post count, can we at least have something that says which forum we have posted in the most?
Old 2004-05-03, 20:22   Link #27
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:

While post count may encourage "holier-than-thou attitudes", I have the impression that asking for it's removal is also another way of being "holier-than-thou" since it allows certain people to show that they are more "elite" than others.
Can you explain that idea a bit more to me? I'm not completely getting it. If post counts were eliminated, and someone still acts all high-and-mighty, then we'll know his/her behavior came from his/her personality. But with post counts displayed however, is that someone might act pretentiously solely because of their high post counts. Maybe more so in other forums. If post counts were disabled, maybe that same person won't be haughty all the time. I'll admit, I'm sometimes pretentious too. But that comes from me, from my personality, from who I am, not from my post counts.

I know it's ironic that I'm so concerned over post counts when I'm saying "Post Counts Doesn't Matter". But the reason I'm concerned over post counts is that I'm trying to make a statement, a point.

I try to post as little as possible, while making as big of a impression as I can from my posts. Even on "trivial" threads like "Rate Signatures/Avatars", I rate as many signatures/avatars as I can in one post. Of course, I have a one liner every now and then too.

Anyways, I've got to PM GHDPro and ask if the server problems are fixed. If there's more "YES" than "NO". Then maybe we'll ask him (or any other admin with that power) to disable post counts publicly, and only viewable by Mods and Admins, like what NoSanninWa said.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:38   Link #28
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Ok what's wrong with some 1 liners? ... Sometimes you don't need a paragraph to say what is needed to say ...

Half of Thany's posts are ratings ... ok so what? She's an active member of that thread and she's constantly rating new sigs/avas that people make. For the people that like to make different sigs/ava and change it all the time those threads are perfect. And why complile a million ratings in 1 post when you can make it easier for yourself by deviding it up and rating as you go along.

Also ... Someone name 1 person on this forum that acts high and mighty because they have a huge postcount and not because they had an attitude to begin with.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:51   Link #29
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir woods
Can you explain that idea a bit more to me?
I was basically just saying I had the impression that asking for post count removal could be another way for some people to show their superiority.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:55   Link #30
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I don't really see removing the count post will change people habit of posting. Like Thany, even if you remove the count post, Thany will stil keep going posting in the rate avatar and signature mainly.

What I see with the entire number of post thingy is just the same like the reputation feature, it's just for amusement.
Old 2004-05-03, 21:06   Link #31
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
ah, this thread is making me feel bad about my own post whoring tendencies.

I think most of the people with high post counts don't have high post counts because they wanted to aggrandize anything, but more because they just like posting. I wont deny that there are people who exploit or are letting themselves be exploited by the evils of post counts, but I just think it's a little unfair to use those 20 or 30 high posters as scapegoats when their only crime is a love of rating avatars!! -sob-

but I guess that adds to the 'post count doesn't matter' argument though I'm not quite sure what I'm arguing
Old 2004-05-03, 21:17   Link #32
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Well well, I did not think so many people would disagree to putting down post counts. I thought it would be a land slide vote for yes. What I don't fully understand is, if you believe that post counts do not promote most negative behavior but agree that there is a chance that it might... I still haven't seen one way it promotes any positive behavior at all or serve a useful purpose other than a counter for how many times you posted.

If it's useless why not get rid of it?

So, most of you don't mind if post counts are displayed in people's profile and viewed only by themselves and the mods? Seems like a very reasonable compromise to me if that is at all possible.

Still without a decent amount of distance between the yes and no, it might cause needless conflict among the members over a matter I brought up out of trivial annoyance. We'll see how the polls end up in the next few days.
Old 2004-05-03, 21:56   Link #33
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Well well, I did not think so many people would disagree to putting down post counts. I thought it would be a land slide vote for yes. What I don't fully understand is, if you believe that post counts do not promote most negative behavior but agree that there is a chance that it might... I still haven't seen one way it promotes any positive behavior at all or serve a useful purpose other than a counter for how many times you posted...
You asked the question, you got an answer. You already made your argument. I don't think the burden of logic or proof is on the side of the status quo.
Old 2004-05-04, 00:12   Link #34
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
many of you cite examples where other forums remove post counts from the forum for whatever reason.

has anyone else other than me been at forums where there was an actual competition for highest poster? or an award for posting a certain number of times

Animesuki is the forum that really has no rewards for posting high. other forums have your title change, but here you can change it whichever way you want.

there are no negatives of the post counter. i have seen one person flame someone else simply for "being a retard" and "having a low post count" but that incident was dealt with, and it hasnt happened again.

If anything, the post counter helps me stop... for example, i see that i have just posted... ... say 30 times, in 10 threads that other people have responded to... the counter is just a reminder that "hey you have to get to class now" or, "go to bed moron, you have SAT IIs"
Quote:
I still haven't seen one way it promotes any positive behavior at all or serve a useful purpose other than a counter for how many times you posted.
it is a post counter, it only counts posts.

and as for reasons why it is useful, see above.

[quote]Thany: 1,014 posts total
373 in Rate that Avatar
189 in Rate That Signature![quote]

thany has earned every post in that particular section, as thany doesnt just rate posts, and changes AV/Sig frequently.

NOTE: NsW, how did you get the #s of posts in each thread?
Old 2004-05-04, 00:19   Link #35
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
many of you cite examples where other forums remove post counts from the forum for whatever reason.

has anyone else other than me been at forums where there was an actual competition for highest poster? or an award for posting a certain number of times
I've been at a forum that has awarded people for high post counts. Some of you (read: JAppi) may remember Neko Koneko's old forum, Anime-Neko. In that forum, Neko instituted a system where the more posts you had, a different "rank image" would appear below your avatar. It was a system that created many, many spammers. It became so bad that he got rid of the entire system and all post counts, even ones in the User CP. The only thing that he left in was a message in the User CP saying which forum you have posted in the most, and what your percentage of posts have been in that forum.

Also, get to bed you moron, you have SAT IIs!

***EDIT***

Quote:
thany has earned every post in that particular section, as thany doesnt just rate posts, and changes AV/Sig frequently.

Well, I'm not NoSanninWa, but I'll answer it just for the heck of it. To the right of each post and to the right of the "Last Post" column, is a column labeled "Replies". Each number in that column is a link that shows who has posted in the thread and how many times he/she has posted. Geez, I thought someone as experienced in the ways of the forum would know about that by now. :P

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2004-05-04 at 16:09.
Old 2004-05-04, 00:38   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Next to the name of each thread it displays the total number of posts in that thread. This number is a link. Click it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-04, 00:53   Link #37
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
One anonymous member who I shall call "JAppi" has both a high post-count and a noteworthy join date, but you'd still be in trouble if you followed his lead.
Of course, there can only be *one* JAppi. And he is god ^_^ (Worship JAppi and join his fanclub!)

Actually, is my join date *really* that noteworthy? Didn't there used to be a ton of people who joined before me? I didn't scare them all away did I?

Quote:
This does not mean that JAppi is the 15th wisest person on AnimeSuki, notably ahead of ElvenPath.
Of course my post count doesn't say how intelligent I am ^_^ It's my wonderful witty posts that do it

Quote:
The dangerous thing about post count being listed next to every post is that people see those high numbers and think that it actually means something. I would prefer if it was listed only on the member profile, UserCP or else kept secret in our database where only moderators could see it.
Ya, I think people who do that are silly ^_^ I think more people need to be active though! There should be much more than 25 people over 1000 posts! I urge everyone to participate in discussion here!

I remember someone mentioned that it's a good indicator of how active a user is. How about we replace this number with an indcator that says how active the person has been?

*edit* must be like BoneyJellyFish and edit my post serveral times!

Anyways, I suppose it would probably be best to get rid of the post counts.
Old 2004-05-04, 01:06   Link #38
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Here's an interesting example of how meaningless post count is. My appologies to Thany for exposing these statistics.

373 in Rate that Avatar

That means that more than half of Thany's posts were devoted to ratings. Only 452 posts were devoted to actual discussion.
If I follow what you're saying we should : close these 2 threads (and also a few others), remove avatars/signatures and while at it take off the reputation since all those things might be taken as 'bad things'
Well anyway I don't care about those statistics, there are a lot of people who have those types of statistics because ratings is still appealing.

I'm not into speaking of specifical series because most likely I'm just reading and don't feel like posting or I just quit posting at the middle of pushing : submit reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
I remember someone mentioned that it's a good indicator of how active a user is. How about we replace this number with an indcator that says how active the person has been?
I find this idea interesting although I'm not sure if it's possible or not (I guess it's not).
Old 2004-05-04, 01:15   Link #39
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
I find this idea interesting although I'm not sure if it's possible or not (I guess it's not).
Would it be possible to link this to the Average post count?

or would this cause mass naked spamming events?
Old 2004-05-04, 02:32   Link #40
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
If I follow what you're saying we should : close these 2 threads (and also a few others), remove avatars/signatures and while at it take off the reputation since all those things might be taken as 'bad things'
Well anyway I don't care about those statistics, there are a lot of people who have those types of statistics because ratings is still appealing.
That's not at all what I meant. I only meant to make a comment about how meaningless the post count is. Your posting habbits merely make for an extreme and easily documented example of how one cannot use the postcount as an indicator of having had much discourse on a variety of topics.

Closed Thread