AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-09-15, 04:21   Link #1
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Graduate School and/or Working in Japan

Hi everyone. Did a quick search throughout the forums and didn't find a thread devoted specifically to this topic, so hopefully there isn't some huge thread I'm unaware of discussing this.

A bit of background about myself: I'm graduating from university in June of next year, and I just came back from 9 months of study abroad in Japan. I passed the JLPT N1 test last December, so I have a degree of language ability to take the next step of doing grad school and/or working in Japan. This brings me to a few questions:

1.) Have you ever thought about finding work in Japan or study at a Japanese school? Why?
2.) What motivated you to consider going outside your home country?
3.) If you have attempted to find work and/or have worked in Japan, do you have any stories or advice to tell?
4.) Are there any specific sources that would be good to look at for one looking on finding a job there?
5.) For people who go to university outside their home country and/or work outside their home country (doesn't have to be Japan), if I were to ask you about the most important thing you got out of your experience, what would you respond?

AnimeSuki has a wonderful internationally diverse set of visitors, so I would love to hear what many of you have to say.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 04:24   Link #2
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll get back to this later (Tokyo-born, US(Chicago)/Korea(Seoul)/Japan(Kyoto) educated, Canada-working).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 19:39   Link #3
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I'll say this in a nutshell before giving your thread some time (if i get to breathe over this weekend)

With an N1, that's your golden ticket for employment, you've got it made.
If you're a (white) Westerner even more so, you'd barely have to struggle at interviews.
If you're Asian looking, it may be a slightly diff ballgame, but congrats.
Finding something should be a piece of cake from the stories and experience I've heard of an Aussie guy when he got his ikkyu.

Your two job websites are:
Gaijinpot
Daijob

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 22:11   Link #4
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Thanks Sumeragi and Mystique for your replies. Looking forward to hearing more from you guys.

Mystique:

You're right in that Asians will be playing a different ball game. I'm Chinese-American and I for a fact (through various contacts and seminars I've attended held by Japanese recruiters) that companies I'd be applying for would also be interested in having native Mandarin speakers. Also, do you know what major the Aussie guy was?
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote