AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-10-01, 10:08   Link #81
Kirarakim

I love Ender's Game, one of my favorite novels. I never knew it was controversial, but then I guess people find reasons to ban books for anything these days.

That being said Orson Scott Card can be said to be controversial. He's said some outright homophobic statements. Now I don't think a work of literature/art should be judged because of the author's views, but it is disconcerting. Moreso because he is still alive & making these statements.
Old 2012-10-01, 14:44   Link #82
Lota

Haven't actually read many books that were written more recently... Anyway, from what I have read, these should pass:

G.G. Marquez "One Hundred Years of Solitude"... confusing as hell and sucked the energy right out of me. But I loved it. But seriously, I took some time off after reading this book, I suddenly felt so old and tired, like I had no more strengh left. I'm gonna read it again, but not any time soon.

Joseph Heller "Catch-22". That was an odd one. I knew that what was happening was horrible, and it was so horrible I couldn't help but laugh, and then I just felt uncomfortable about it. That's the word that best describes this book for me - uncomfortable. It makes you laugh and you wanna cry because of it.

Harper Lee "To Kill a Mockingbird". Ahhh, I loved that one. I feel so warm whenever I think about it... The children were so believable and... Atticus Finch. No need to explain.

J.D. Salinger "The Catcher in the Rye"... I know some people don't like it, and I myself haven't read it in a long time, but it left a deep impression. I don't know, I guess you just have to read it at the right time, and I did, so I remember it with great fondness. So yeah, it should probably pass the test of time.

And other writers, like Rowling, Bach, Bradbury, King etc.
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 18:14   Link #83
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Something I realised looking at the name so far, most of the books cited so far were writed in english or the author are/were writing in english. Is kind of normal as we all speak and read english but many of us can read and speak at least another language so I wonder why did we got more non-english book ? Are the US/UK author taking most of the place ?
Old 2012-10-03, 21:20   Link #84
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Given this is an English forum, I think it's a given we're referring to English Language literature. I don't think most of us share any language in common besides English. Maybe Chinese, but even then that's probably less then a quarter.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 22:57   Link #85
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

If it's down to non-English literature, I can name one. Andrzej Sapkowski.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 08:26   Link #86
Skane
Anime Snark

Terry Pratchett.